Little tips and tricks that you didn't know..

Lheim

I looked through about the first 11 pages and didn't see this one. Maybe everyone already knows it, but I wish I'd known it much sooner.

If you log out in a cantina, you'll come back with your exp bar green and a green highlighted blank space which is the amount of double exp points you can get.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who are having issues with action bar 'switching,' I have a solution:

In the UI preferences, you can turn on the Left and Right action bars. Once I have these enabled, I typically reassign the buttons for Action Bar 2 (bottom most) to Shift+1, Shift+2, etc, and put in abilities that require special situations, such as Rail Shot, some melee abilities or defensive abilities like Static Barrier and Overload on my SI and Energy Shield for my BH, or things that have a long recharge like your signature ability. I also place my recharge/rest ability in there as Shift+= to keep it out of the way.

The left bar, I assign as Alt+1, Alt+2 and put heals and buffs in. The right bar, I leave unkeyed and place consumables in, so as not to waste them with an errant keypress.

How you lay things out is up to you, but I find it helps me to keep primary combat abilities on Bar 1, defensive/long-cooldown/special on Bar 2, and heals/buffs on the Left.

I am Light III and all the light sabers I have had have been red. I am Imperial so not sure if this makes a difference.

If it is loot that came with a red crystal and is not labeled as restricted, you can use it. The user crafted crystals are labeled restricted. Also, if you equip and item and then your alignment changes and becomes restricted, you are fine. You can continue to use it. If you try and modify it, you won't be able to equip it again if it contains a restricted crystal.

Edited by Owsley

Not sure it works for all classes with a cover mechanic but..

My smuggler i stopped using TAKE COVER and now use CROUCH almost all the time. TAKE COVER will leap you to nearby crates or rocks to give you better cover.. Sometimes jumping you right next to other mobs that join the fight. I find CROUCH a lot safer and the buffs seems to be the same for both.

Not sure it works for all classes with a cover mechanic but..

My smuggler i stopped using TAKE COVER and now use CROUCH almost all the time. TAKE COVER will leap you to nearby crates or rocks to give you better cover.. Sometimes jumping you right next to other mobs that join the fight. I find CROUCH a lot safer and the buffs seems to be the same for both.

Actually natural cover (the green outline man) gives you "no damage" on normal attack while you are hiding. The instant cover only gives 20% damage reduction. Both gives immunity to skills (like grappling hook) to be use on you while in cover.

"Prototype (purple) items with only mod and enhancement slots can have an armor mod added to them. If you open the Customization window of the gear and right click the armor mod it will allow you to add it to the piece of gear. The only thing you cannot do is view the current armor mod or remove it but you can add a new one to it."

This tip is not working for me. I am unable to place an armor mod on these items no matter how much I try.

Not sure if anyone ever mentioned this...but I use it all the time...

If your companion is low on health or dead...summon your vehicle and the de-summon it. Your companion will reappear with full health even if they were dead. This process takes just 1 second worth of time and saves a lot of time if you're constantly trying to heal your companion after fights (dps/tank companions).

Of course...this only works when you're not indoors or in a cave.

A Jedi Guardian (forget his name, sorry if your reading this) taught me how the party should concentrate their attacks by using the traffic lights sequence, mark 3 targets with the red (fire icon) yellow (pistol) green (?) then everyone who dps takes them in sequence red, yellow green. CC (crowd control) targets should be pre-assigned to any members that have cc skills using the shield, cog etc. markers. Great way for doing heroics and fp against elite mobs.

Also when upgrading your equiptment (CTRL+rightclick) instead of removing mods on your equiptment which costs a good few k at higher lvls and replacing it with a new one, you can instead right click on the new mod you want to add which destroys the old one (I wasted 100's of k not knowing this)

Press space to do a barrel roll.

And hold the right mouse button to paint up to 4 targets for your missles.

Also, alt-F4 automatically makes you level 50 and gives you a skill that kills everything within 100 meters with one shot.

Space combat - especially for the last imperial mission, Ascendancy Barrier

Get the EMP pulse bomb (forgot in game name) and use it during the two missions that require you to shoot mines. The blast will take out close to 100 mines if you trigger it in the right spot. The missions are long enough for the bomb to recharge, so you can fulfill the mine-killing mission requirement with two well-placed blasts.

In AB, using artifact level ship gear (check GTN or become BFF with a cyber guy) and turning on the shield regen, you don't need to worry about the light fighters. Your shield regen easily outpaces their damage. Going through a mine field might require a few barrel rolls, but your shields should still do the trick. Worry more about not hitting space rocks than trying to shoot down those fighters.

This does not work with the heavy fighters. Aside from being a bonus objective, you need to blow them up ASAP or they will melt your face off.

You don't need to use a mod station. You can add and remove mods from your moddable items, by ctrl+left clicking them, anywhere.

I see so many people asking where a mod station is..

The UI at the mod station is less clunky than the ctrl+click combination. (Although, amusingly, you select things at the station to modify by simple left clicking even though the tooltip says otherwise.)

In the preferences, you can enable the tooltip comparison for equipment/gear for your active companion so you can compare an item to your active companion's gear in addition to yours. (This really should be defaulted to "on", not sure why they defaulted it to "off").

Thanks man I didnt even know this

from wiki,

Inventory Expansion Module Cost

Row 4: 5,000 credits

Row 5: 20,000 credits

Row 6: 50,000 credits

Row 7: 100,000 credits

Row 8: 200,000 credits

Cargo Hold Bay Costs

Bay 2 - Level 20 - 40,000 credits

Bay 3 - Level 40 - 400,000 credits

Bay 4 -

Each Row 10 slots. Each Bay 80 slots.

I'll buy Row 4, then Bay 2. ROW 5 not worth compared to Bay 2.

A little long for a tip.. Category : Jumping

I am one of those jumping challenged (in the quest for datacrons), here is what I have learned. It is important you remember you have three "states" of movement : walk, run and sprint. Each will change your jump distance. Also, when dropping down to a ledge, you want to be on walk, since run will send you on an arch, not down.

I run/walk by pressing both mouse buttons. Spacebar jumps. So to make my jumps I got used to holding the left mouse button, and then hitting space-right click on a one second sequence. Something like ta-da. When I do it you can hear two distinctive clicks. Immediately let go on landing, or you will run forward.

If you practice this you will get a standing forward jump. The distance is consistent. So if you practice, you will get the same jump every time. Now you just have to judge your distances, line up, and ta-da, there you are. As jumping challenged as I am, I have all datacrons up to Hoth. :) I mostly do this with run sprint, which gives me the longest jump. Going back to walk is important on drops to ledges and walking thin ledges.

I hope this helps frustrated jumpers out there. For other datacron info, check Youtube (there are video walk through to the datacrons by planet) and Tor-Spy web site.

Edited by TheIronMonkey

Another set of tips : equipment

If you load up yourself and companions with orange (mod-able) gear you are signing up for a management duty. For every piece you have to spend time updating and deciding what to change when and where. I do it, I don't mind, but be aware of the work. Some tips to handle this :

- Bring all your new stuff to the ship. The interface there by the lockbox lets you look at all your companions without taking them out. I wish they had that approach everywhere.

- I know, can't go to the ship all the time. So, I have a second screen by my game system where I keep a couple of pages open on my browser and... a spreadsheet. Yes, I keep a spreadsheet with all my/companion armor equipped on it. So that, when I have to choose a reward from a quest or if I am planning purchases with my commendations I know who is low on what. :) If you would like a copy of it just PM me. Glad to share.

- I organize the loot by light, medium and heavy armor. Most companions can only take one or the other, so that thins down choices quite fast.

- I started removing all mods before updating, but it really costs a lot and they ended up sitting around since nobody else in my crew used them. The only truly portable ones are the enhancement. The armor and the mod carry your main ability, which is different on each companion. So don't waste the credits unless you are sure you need it.

- As stated orange (modable) gear can be used through the levels as long as you upgrade it. Beware that some of the companion gear is NOT orange (it is green) but it is still modable.

- If you go this route, it pays to get commendations on most rewards from quests. You can then go to the commendation mod vendor for the planet (they are all together at fleet) and update most armor when you leave a planet. Be aware that when the reward for a quest is actual mods, you are better off with the mod (if you can use it) vs 1 commendation : armoring usually costs 7 commendations at the vendor.

- To keep armor management under control, don't review it all on every level. I usually will do it every two levels, maybe three, or when I finish a planet so I can use all the commendations collected.

- As stated, save any oranges you change for looks to use on the companions later. If it is the right "weight" (light, medium, heavy) you can re-spec the rest.

- Right click on the inventory will load the armor to the right slot (including ship parts). For the companion, open the character sheet, switch to the companion tab, now right click loads to your companion.

Hope some of these help. :)

Edited by TheIronMonkey

As with regular quests, if you out-level the companion quests the rewards will reduce in size. So if the affection doesn't grow by the time you get the companion quest it might just be worth 5 XP. :-/ Affection is supposed to impact how well the companion works for you, so it might be good to keep an eye on it. Companion quests are triggered by your level and the affection level achieved (no known formula so far). It might be best to up affection, and then when your char level gets to the right place, the quest will trigger and the rewards will be adequate.

Up affection by conversation choices, gifts. You can purchase gifts at vendors, they come from crew skill missions, or the curator can make them from fragments.

Edited by TheIronMonkey

This thread is huge so I haven't read it all, but here are some things I wish I knew when I started.

You can queue up crafting missions by clicking the craft button multiple times (up to 5). This really helps when reverse engineering.

Cancelling a crew skill action gives you back the credits.

You can enable the viewing of an items mod stats in the preferences as well as numbered hp and energy bars.

You can toggle off some of your companions abilities and they will never use them. (Roar again Bowdar and I will murder you!)

Ranking up affection gives you good xp per lvl.

Being in a PVP queue and entering the BG while in a story phase can screw up some of the story phases. (Don't do it!)

In the who window, there is a Looking for Group checkbox. Everyone should use this to make it useful.

You can reset all of your skill points by talking to the skill mentor on the republic fleet.

Running the game in compatibility mode for Windows XP will almost always give you a performance boost (at this time).

Talking to all of the crew skill trainers before learning your crew skills gives you codex entries with detailed descriptions of ea. skills and recommended gathering skills to take with each crafting skill.

Ctrl+Shift+F shows you your current framerate(average framerate) in the bottom left hand corner.