Spoilers and why I did not like TLJ

NuSeC

I see you used another highlighter. let me use another one.

and you got it wrong EVERY SINGLE TIME

2006 INTERVIEW..

The MOVIE CAME OUT IN 2008

so yeah... in 2006 there was no advertising.... why would there be?

The first trailer for TFA dropped 1 year before release and that was a huge deal it was that early.

your lack of basic reading comprehension is astounding.

"Due to the Lucas's sudden decision to make a Clone Wars film after viewing footage of the television show, Lucas Licensing did not have time to enter into agreements with previous Star Wars marketing partners like Pepsi, Burger King and Kellogg's, with which the Lucasfilm licensing company had a 10-year marketing plan for the other films; when questioned by The New York Times about Star Wars merchandising in July 2006, a Pepsi spokesperson was unaware a new Star Wars film was even being released."

"Boy, ya can't see the forest for the trees"

And I am the one with a reading comprehension issue? lol That was the last time they were asked about it. The point was that it was so sudden and so unannounced that the normal marketing channels had no idea what was going on, nor did Lucasfilm have time to reach out to them. As was stated, "marketing partners like Pepsi, Burger King and Kellogg's" which had 10 year contracts, were not contacted because "Licensing did not have time to enter into agreements"

I can break it down more for you if you need. I will do this for a 5 year veteran physics teacher :D

Edited by NuSeC

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pssst guess what? I don't care about spelling on the SWTOR forums. Also what do you think people write in the navy?

It does not matter what you "write in the Navy," how is that even relevant? You asking that question is a testament to how made up it is about you teaching. Not being able to spell "missile" while claiming to be a physics teacher for 5 years is... absurd.

Let us not forget, you misspelled it 5 times in the same post. 5 times. Also, you misspelled it in all previous posts as well. This is not an accident, you are claiming to be a physics teacher that can not spell "missile." It has nothing to do with being too lazy to post on a SW forum. Everyone makes a mistake or two or three. But if you misspell the same word 5 times in the same post and all previous posts, it is a good bet that you do not know how to spell it correctly. But you taught ap physics. ;)

No seriously do you think we write a book on our feelings on the sub all day?

It is not the Navy part that gave you away, it was when you said you taught physics for 5 years and can not spell "missile." What part of that do you not understand?

i was a Navy Nuke who operated 4 Nuclear reactors and taught AP Physics for 5 years.

Like i said you don't have to take my word you can google how a nuclear weapon works yourself.

Don't worry, I already have.

No one is stopping you from learning.

indeed, like you just learned how to spell "missile," after teaching physics for 5 years.

And you call someone intellectually dishonest.

Edited by NuSeC

I see you used another highlighter. let me use another one.

"Due to the Lucas's sudden decision to make a Clone Wars film after viewing footage of the television show, Lucas Licensing did not have time to enter into agreements with previous Star Wars marketing partners like Pepsi, Burger King and Kellogg's, with which the Lucasfilm licensing company had a 10-year marketing plan for the other films; when questioned by The New York Times about Star Wars merchandising in July 2006, a Pepsi spokesperson was unaware a new Star Wars film was even being released."

"Boy, ya can't see the forest for the trees"

And I am the one with a reading comprehension issue? lol That was the last time they were asked about it. The point was that it was so sudden and so unannounced that the normal marketing channels had no idea what was going on, nor did Lucasfilm have time to reach out to them. As was stated, "marketing partners like Pepsi, Burger King and Kellogg's" which had 10 year contracts, were not contacted because "Licensing did not have time to enter into agreements"

I can break it down more for you if you need. I will do this for a 5 year veteran physics teacher :D

you honestly can't be this ignorant....... Yes as I said they didn't enter in a conract with Burger King, Pepsi, or Kellogs

Ok so we are on the same page here. You are now saying that it WAS heavily advertised just that it was done quickly?

Because rushing out the advertising doesn't mean it wasn't heaivly advertised.

BTW I suggest you read the actual article.

The point was that it was so sudden and so unannounced that the normal marketing channels had no idea what was going on
no again it means that Pepsi was never contacted.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/01/business/media/01adco.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

It does not matter what you "write in the Navy," how is that even relevant? You asking that question is a testament to how made up it is about you teaching. Not being able to spell "missile" while claiming to be a physics teacher for 5 years is... absurd.

Let us not forget, you misspelled it 5 times in the same post. 5 times. Also, you misspelled it in all previous posts as well. This is not an accident, you are claiming to be a physics teacher that can not spell "missile." It has nothing to do with being too lazy to post on a SW forum. Everyone makes a mistake or two or three. But if you misspell the same word 5 times in the same post and all previous posts, it is a good bet that you do not know how to spell it correctly. But you taught ap physics. ;)

It is not the Navy part that gave you away, it was when you said you taught physics for 5 years and can not spell "missile." What part of that do you not understand?

Don't worry, I already have.

indeed, like you just learned how to spell "missile," after teaching physics for 5 years.

And you call someone intellectually dishonest.

thank you for this.

You just proved you have lost the argument and have resorted to sad personal attacks.

Concession accepted

and to be clear here... you think that how some one types on the SWTOR message boards indicates what profession they have been in?

it's hilarious how hard you are trolling, don't respond to the fact you claimed there wasn't a theatrical trailer when i linked 2 and your own source had one at the top of the page... or the fact that you don't know what intellectual dishonesty is.

Nope keep coming at me for spelling

hahaha

Edited by jarjarloves

you honestly can't be this ignorant....... Yes as I said they didn't enter in a conract with Burger King, Pepsi, or Kellogs

Ok so we are on the same page here. You are now saying that it WAS heavily advertised just that it was done quickly?

Because rushing out the advertising doesn't mean it wasn't heaivly advertised.

BTW I suggest you read the actual article.

no again it means that Pepsi was never contacted.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/01/business/media/01adco.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

From your own link...

“Sometimes George works in strange ways,” said Howard Roffman, president of Lucas Licensing.

That shift brings with it some change in marketing partners. Neither Pepsi, Burger King nor Kellogg’s have any connection to the new movie, whereas all had made major investments in the previous three movies in the form of product tie-ins and promotions.

Their absence, according to Lucasfilm, is a consequence of the last-minute decision to release the film in theaters."

also,

Burger King declined to comment about its decision not to participate in the new film, but a spokeswoman from Kellogg’s said in an e-mail message that the company makes “every effort to offer promotions that are both interesting and enjoyable to our consumers.” A spokeswoman for Pepsi, meanwhile, was unaware that a new “Star Wars” movie was being released.

It was actually a typo about 2006 on the other link! As Pepsi is mentioned again here in this article basically saying the same thing with no date added as it was this journalist at the NYTs that did the actual story.

The Pepsi spokesperson said that in 2008, had no idea the movie was being released! Love it!!

LOL!!! This is great. Not only did you debunk your own claim, you did it with such enthusiasm!

and you got it wrong EVERY SINGLE TIME

2006 INTERVIEW..

The MOVIE CAME OUT IN 2008

so yeah... in 2006 there was no advertising.... why would there be?

The first trailer for TFA dropped 1 year before release and that was a huge deal it was that early.

your lack of basic reading comprehension is astounding.

So, I completely disagree with NuSeC's views on TLJ, (ostensibly the topic of this thread,) but as to this particular point, "2006" looks like it's just a typo on the Wiki -- the article being cited for that proposition (The Force Lives On, as Do the Toys) is from July 1, 2008, just a little over one month before the movie came out:

A spokeswoman for Pepsi, meanwhile, was unaware that a new “Star Wars” movie was being released

No indication in the source article that the Pepsi spokeswoman's quote was two years old, and it would be really, really weird if the quote was actually was that old, given the context of the article.

Edited by DarthDymond

From your own link...

“Sometimes George works in strange ways,” said Howard Roffman, president of Lucas Licensing.

That shift brings with it some change in marketing partners. Neither Pepsi, Burger King nor Kellogg’s have any connection to the new movie, whereas all had made major investments in the previous three movies in the form of product tie-ins and promotions.

Their absence, according to Lucasfilm, is a consequence of the last-minute decision to release the film in theaters."

also,

Burger King declined to comment about its decision not to participate in the new film, but a spokeswoman from Kellogg’s said in an e-mail message that the company makes “every effort to offer promotions that are both interesting and enjoyable to our consumers.” A spokeswoman for Pepsi, meanwhile, was unaware that a new “Star Wars” movie was being released.

It was actually a typo about 2006 on the other link! As Pepsi is mentioned again here in this article basically saying the same thing with no date added as it was this journalist at the NYTs that did the actual story.

The Pepsi spokesperson said that in 2008, had no idea the movie was being released! Love it!!

LOL!!! This is great. Not only did you debunk your own claim, you did it with such enthusiasm!

how did I debunk my own claim? are you claiming that a Pepsi Spokesperson through shade changes the fact it wasn't heavily advertised?

omg..... yes... i have said all of those things. I never disagreed that Lucasfilm didn't go with them.

The point still stands it was heavily ADVERTISED.

I'm sorry i don't understand why you think not partnering with Burger King, Kellogs or Pepsi but Advertising with McDondalds some how means it wasn't advertised?

So, I completely disagree with NuSeC's views on TLJ, (ostensibly the topic of this thread,) but as to this particular point, "2006" looks like it's just a typo on the Wiki -- the article being cited for that proposition (The Force Lives On, as Do the Toys) is from July 1, 2008, just a little over one month before the movie came out:

No indication in the source article that the Pepsi spokeswoman's quote was two years old, and it would be really, really weird if the quote was actually was that old, given the context of the article.

Yes i agree with you, the Wikipedia page He linked to and the quote HE used said it was from 2006.

I should have done my due diligence and checked the source for my self.

but it doesn't change the fact that The Clone Wars was heavily advertised just not with the people who had advertised the other films.

He claimed there were no trailers yet links direclty to the theatrical trailer.

They also had a complete toy line with midnight launch at Toys R Us (which he claims i guess star wars fans don't like toys)

As well as a full 18 toy McDonalds line with 30 second TV spots.

and in the previous page i list all the other promtions like a sponsered F1 car and so on.

Edited by jarjarloves

Yes i agree with you, the Wikipedia page He linked to and the quote HE used said it was from 2006.

I should have done my due diligence and checked the source for my self.

but it doesn't change the fact that The Clone Wars was heavily advertised just not with the people who had advertised the other films.

He claimed there were no trailers yet links direclty to the theatrical trailer.

They also had a complete toy line with midnight launch at Toys R Us (which he claims i guess star wars fans don't like toys)

As well as a full 18 toy McDonalds line with 30 second TV spots.

and in the previous page i list all the other promtions like a sponsered F1 car and so on.

The original claim, being that if you stick Star Wars on something, the brand will sell, and it does. You reached for everything you could trying to disprove that guy's statements. And still, after 8.5 mil spent, it made back 8 times that at 68 million. I am not sure what record you wanted it to break at when it was described as "being almost an after thought ~George Lucas" or that it was decided on AFTER watching some of the TV series, or that it did not have the same advertising of any SW theater film. Yet still made 60 million.

Also, would TLJ have pulled 1.2 billion on an 8.5 million dollar budget as apposed to its 200 million dollar budget? As far as return on investment, (The Clone Wars movie) did very well. A return of 60 million (8 times) in less then a year and got to launch the tv cartoon series off with a movie.

Now you can say you did not like the movie, many have, but it was profitable and did not bomb in sense of investment. And that was the point the guy was trying to make of the brand in the first place.

You did not show failure in the brand, you showed people did not like something that was still profitable. Which was kinda the guy's point after all.

Oh wait, there were no cinematic trailers nor a Superbowl spot either. But continue acting as if it was pushed as hard as the other movies. LMAO!!!!!!

You literally quoted me telling you there were cinematic trailers as well as TV spots.....

Now first you are claiming it wasn't heavlly advertised.... ok excpet it was, we are talking about heavy trailers as well as 6 different TV spots. l.

But again... you DON"T READ YOUR OWN SOURCES!!

At the TOP of the WOOKIPEDIA PAGE YOU LINKED IS ONE OF THE SEVERAL THEATRICAL TRAILERS]

So here are a FEW of the cinematic trailers AND one of the TV spots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aICP_n8lRq4

Just because it is in theaters does not mean people even knew it was out. I proved this point already but go ahead and march on little soldier.

As I just established you did not prove the movie wasn't heavily advertised in fact you did the exact opposite by complaing there was no trailer yet linking to a site that HAD THE THEATRCIAL TRAILER so i guess no one knew about that movie.

"being almost an after thought ~George Lucas"

.... George Lucas NEVER SAID THAT

thank you for this.

You just proved you have lost the argument and have resorted to sad personal attacks.

Concession accepted

and to be clear here... you think that how some one types on the SWTOR message boards indicates what profession they have been in?

it's hilarious how hard you are trolling, don't respond to the fact you claimed there wasn't a theatrical trailer when i linked 2 and your own source had one at the top of the page... or the fact that you don't know what intellectual dishonesty is.

Nope keep coming at me for spelling

hahaha

Again, you brought yourself in as a witness, You are the one that made the claims about yourself.

Also, you have been saying I have reading comprehension issues and am being intellectually dishonest at nearly every post. Don't try this high horse stuff buddy, you fell off it at "teaching physics for 5 years."

it's amazing how desperate you are to win after insulting didn't work you are now trying to goal post shift to say that 35 domesitcally after a 90 day run in the 2nd most amount of theaters of Any star wars film released to that date with heavy advertising including McDonalds, new toy line and even a F1 car is some how a huge success for them because it made more then the budget.

Ignoring of course the fact that same year movies in fewer theaters such as The Tale of Despereaux made Trippe the amount of money The Clone Wars made.

haha Beavis and Butt-Head Do America was released in fewer theaters had a budget of just 12 million and still managed to Double what The Clone Wars made.

Again, you brought yourself in as a witness, You are the one that made the claims about yourself.

Also, you have been saying I have reading comprehension issues and am being intellectually dishonest at nearly every post. Don't try this high horse stuff buddy, you fell off it at "teaching physics for 5 years."

yeah i don't take any of that back. Why would I? I was Navy Nuke who taught AP Physics btw not just Physics for 5 years.

You are intellectually dishonest and lack basic reading comprehension skills. Here are just 2 examples.

you looked at the Wookipeida page for Clone Wars, saw the theatrical trailer at the top... and then claimed there was no such trailer. That's intellectual dishonesty.

You linked to wikipeida claimed that Kamikaze's were effective because of Pearl Harbor with out understanding that only 1 pilot was a Kamikaze. That's lack of reading comprehension.

then there is just the willfully ignorant statements like

"Also as pointed out, the US Navy has a ramming strategy"
that one had me laughing. I mean the absolute ignorance of such a statement is just astounding.

but please tell me how misspelling words on the Star Wars The Old Republic MMO game forums.... means I can't teach Physics or operate a nuclear reactor.

You literally quoted me telling you there were cinematic trailers as well as TV spots.....

But again... you DON"T READ YOUR OWN SOURCES!!

At the TOP of the WOOKIPEDIA PAGE YOU LINKED IS ONE OF THE SEVERAL THEATRICAL TRAILERS]

So here are a FEW of the cinematic trailers AND one of the TV spots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aICP_n8lRq4

As I just established you did not prove the movie wasn't heavily advertised in fact you did the exact opposite by complaing there was no trailer yet linking to a site that HAD THE THEATRCIAL TRAILER so i guess no one knew about that movie.

Again... It was not in the same caliber as the other movies. Little to no advertising.

Are you suggesting, the advertising for this movie was on par with TLJ, TFA, RO,TPM,RoTS etc?

I mean what point are you trying to make? That they had some trailers shown sometimes to some people were able to see them? Sure they did, but it was not what the typical SW movie does.

You just want to argue.

http://ew.com/article/2008/03/18/george-lucas-star-wars-plan/

"You know, [the Clone Wars movie] was almost an afterthought — we were doing the TV series and looked at some of the episodes on the big screen and said, ”This is so beautiful, why don’t we just go and use the crew and make a feature?” So we did." ~George Lucas

Has this gotten embarrassing for you yet? I mean, ya know, after so much of this.

You got me there he did say that, I admit I missread the wiki article I thought that was Howard saying that about Lucas.

I admit I was wrong.

Again... It was not in the same caliber as the other movies. Little to no advertising.

Are you suggesting, the advertising for this movie was on par with TLJ, TFA, RO,TPM,RoTS etc?

This is a Goal Post Shift.

You have now changed it from not as high budget to not as much advertising even though i showed you there was MORE then enough advertising and enough expectations that they put it in MORE theaters then 5 of the last 6 star wars films

Tell me how did The Tale of Despereaux make 98 million world wide (50 million domestically) with even fewer ads then The Clone Wars, no name recogination, fewer theaters, and 0 movie ties, toys, comics?

Answer this 1 question.

If they didn't expect it to so well... why did they put it in more theaters then The Phantom Meance, Attack of the Clones, A New Hope, Return of the Jedi or Empire Strikes back?

If they expected to only make slightly more then its budget back why release it in so many theaters and raise the cost so much?

Also... most women are not feminist anymore because it is not what it used to be and does not mean what it used to mean. So the majority of women hate women? Women are misogynistic? This is where your logic leads.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/feminism-project/poll/

or

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/16/feminism-poll_n_3094917.html

Most women disagree with feminism

oh man I don't know how I missed this gem from you.... more proof that you don't read your own links. Neither of those sources say

1. That most women aren't feminists. Both of the polls show a majority consider themselves feminists

2. That most people disagree with feminism. Both of those polls show that a majority of women believe in feminist values.

The only person I have seen who's worse at reading his own source is Sargon of Akkad. You watch a lot of Sargon of Akkad don't you?

You got me there he did say that, I admit I missread the wiki article I thought that was Howard saying that about Lucas.

I admit I was wrong.

This is a Goal Post Shift.

You have now changed it from not as high budget to not as much advertising even though i showed you there was MORE then enough advertising and enough expectations that they put it in MORE theaters then 5 of the last 6 star wars films

Tell me how did The Tale of Despereaux make 98 million world wide (50 million domestically) with even fewer ads then The Clone Wars, no name recogination, fewer theaters, and 0 movie ties, toys, comics?

Answer this 1 question.

If they didn't expect it to so well... why did they put it in more theaters then The Phantom Meance, Attack of the Clones, A New Hope, Return of the Jedi or Empire Strikes back?

If they expected to only make slightly more then its budget back why release it in so many theaters and raise the cost so much?

Wait wait a minute buddy, what happened to:

???

... are you serious? like you don't understand the concept of admiring when you are wrong? I told you I misread the article and admitted it.

OK, good deal. And in turn, I sped over your comment while playing in a WZ (normally what I do) :D To be fair, I did not give it a good read as both of us have been guilty of today.

also,

The film you mention grossed $86,947,965 on a $60 million budget. compared to an "almost afterthought" that budgeted 8.5 million and made 68 million. Even domestically, it profited more at 27 million.

Are you still under the impression that brands don't sell things? I mean that was what this all sprang from.

Edited by NuSeC

• 2 weeks later...
Luke was even less trained than Rey before he met Obi Wan. She had a life of an orphan and had to fight for her life and bread every singly day. Luke had had a quiet farm-boy youth and hadn't fought anyone before. Neither did he spend much time training with Obi-Wan (only aboard the Millenium Falcon, before Obi-Wan died in combat with Darth Vader).

Everything else you wrote is kind of a general feeling, not reasons of why you didn't like the movie.

It's totally okay to not like something.

What is not okay is the troll campaign completely trashing TLJ in the fan community. Some people started it and conditioned the others. Now to be cool and real hardcore Star Wars fan you are kinda obliged to dislike TLJ.

I'd recommend to watch the movie again and focus on the positive stuff which was plenty. Rey-Kylo line is the best that happened in SW so far, hope you come to understand and appreciate it.

That is some laughable feminist tripe you are peddling. Luke had many adventures in his Skyhopper with Biggs Darklighter. In 2015, Luke Skywalker was selected by Empire magazine as the 50th-greatest movie character of all time.

Nobody in ten years will remember Daisy Ridley who went to the snobby stuck up Tring Park School for the Performing Arts in Hertfordshire. Star Wars is Mark Hamill. Now watch Corvette Summer and stop policing the forums for Kathleen f***king Kennedy. TLJ is rejected by the greater fanbase of Star Wars fans that saw the originals in the theaters in 1977, 1980, & 1983. Disney will have to do a lot of damage control because they lost their core fanbase from this movie.

That is some laughable feminist tripe you are peddling. Luke had many adventures in his Skyhopper with Biggs Darklighter. In 2015, Luke Skywalker was selected by Empire magazine as the 50th-greatest movie character of all time.

Nobody in ten years will remember Daisy Ridley who went to the snobby stuck up Tring Park School for the Performing Arts in Hertfordshire. Star Wars is Mark Hamill. Now watch Corvette Summer and stop policing the forums for Kathleen f***king Kennedy. TLJ is rejected by the greater fanbase of Star Wars fans that saw the originals in the theaters in 1977, 1980, & 1983. Disney will have to do a lot of damage control because they lost their core fanbase from this movie.

You don't expect anyone to take you seriously, do you? Do troll somewhere else.

Trust me, more people liked this movie than didn't. Your bigotted ways and thinking have no place in this world. Grow up.

They took the biggest hero in the SW universe and utterly wrecked his character.

He was changed beyond recognition, he did things totally outside of his character, he was weak, a coward and foolish.

That categorically is not Luke Skywalker. Luke Skywalker is Anakin's full potential realized and the most powerful force user to ever live, not the joke we see in TLJ.

To decimate the story of Star Wars in the way they did was just wrong.

I'm also still waiting for an explanation of Snoke are we supposed to be believe no one noticed this tremendously powerful user for the past 80 years (who by the way can't see out of his right eye apparently)?

Full of plot holes, horrendous decisions and quite possibly is the beginning of the end for star wars.

They took the biggest hero in the SW universe and utterly wrecked his character.

He was changed beyond recognition, he did things totally outside of his character, he was weak, a coward and foolish.

That categorically is not Luke Skywalker. Luke Skywalker is Anakin's full potential realized and the most powerful force user to ever live, not the joke we see in TLJ.

To decimate the story of Star Wars in the way they did was just wrong.

I'm also still waiting for an explanation of Snoke are we supposed to be believe no one noticed this tremendously powerful user for the past 80 years (who by the way can't see out of his right eye apparently)?

Full of plot holes, horrendous decisions and quite possibly is the beginning of the end for star wars.

Im sorry but what? ... Yes, Luke was the "biggest" hero in the SW universe by virtue of being the first and the main hero in the original trilogy... thats it. There were far more powerful Jedi then Luke in the prequels like Windu and Yoda. Nowhere in canon is it established that he had become some almighty force god. In fact Palpatine handed his arse to him without effort. The EU is irrelevant and just some random author's imagination just like TLJ was the way Ryan imagined it. It's artistic freedom.

As to the portrayal of Luke not being "in character"... i have to disagree again. What we've seen of Luke in ep.4,5,6 shows us a good but ultimately flawed individual that exists on the very edge of falling to the dark side. Its his imbalance that gives weight to the whole part of ep.6 where Palpatine tries to turn him... It is emphasized in the fight with Vader where (once Leia is mentioned) Luke uses his anger to overcome Vader and nearly kill him. Yes, ultimately he manages to walk that line and not fall over but by no means is he the perfect Jedi. Therefore his actions when it came to Kylo are completely understandable... he had a Vader deja vu and entertained the thought of nipping it in the bud as it were... as he entertained killing Vader in their fight. But yes, he did change somewhat...30 years (many of which in seclusion) will do that to you... but out of character? ... not so much.

This is the second installment in the series... there are going to be things left unanswered... and yes, i too question some of the choices, but it was never going to be exactly the way i imagined it anyway. By and large it was a very enjoyable movie for me and a far better film then TFA and ep. 1 and 2 at the very least.

Edited by Valceanu

Im sorry but what? ... Yes, Luke was the "biggest" hero in the SW universe by virtue of being the first and the main hero in the original trilogy... thats it. There were far more powerful Jedi then Luke in the prequels like Windu and Yoda. Nowhere in canon is it established that he had become some almighty force god. In fact Palpatine handed his arse to him without effort. The EU is irrelevant and just some random author's imagination just like TLJ was the way Ryan imagined it. It's artistic freedom.

As to the portrayal of Luke not being "in character"... i have to disagree again. What we've seen of Luke in ep.4,5,6 shows us a good but ultimately flawed individual that exists on the very edge of falling to the dark side. Its his imbalance that gives weight to the whole part of ep.6 where Palpatine tries to turn him... It is emphasized in the fight with Vader where (once Leia is mentioned) Luke uses his anger to overcome Vader and nearly kill him. Yes, ultimately he manages to walk that line and not fall over but by no means is he the perfect Jedi. Therefore his actions when it came to Kylo are completely understandable... he had a Vader deja vu and entertained the thought of nipping it in the bud as it were... as he entertained killing Vader in their fight. But yes, he did change somewhat...30 years (many of which in seclusion) will do that to you... but out of character? ... not so much.

This is the second installment in the series... there are going to be things left unanswered... and yes, i too question some of the choices, but it was never going to be exactly the way i imagined it anyway. By and large it was a very enjoyable movie for me and a far better film then TFA and ep. 1 and 2 at the very least.

Got to disagree with you man. His dad was freaking Darth Vader, he saw some good in him even AFTER his dad cut off his hand. However, now the story depicts him as weak and scared so badly by Kylo, he was going to kill him before he had even done anything, and this is his nephew, the son of his twin sister and his best friend. Give me a break, it is completely out of his character. Meanwhile, his dad killed uncounted Jedi and other people, still Luke, even after his dad dismembered him, wanted to save Vader. Hammill said it himself, he had to think of him as Jake Skywalker.

The mouse character assassinated Luke Skywalker.

While I agree the scene where he's going to attack Ben Solo is HORRIBLY out of character for Luke, him being flawed and human is ok. Granted that entire sequence could of been handled so much better.

Ben is having a nightmare and is rippling through the force and Luke hurries over to check on him. Luke feels a dark presence so he has his lightsaber in hand just in case someone is over Ben. He rushes in as Ben wakes up seeing the saber in hand. He force grabs his own and Luke is forced to defend ignighting his own and then we see Luke yelling "Ben no!" And then Ben yanks the hut down and we get the scene of the academy burning.

I mean hell it could of included a force projection of Snoke over Ben or just a hooded figure, just a good pretext for Luke to have his saber drawn and lit and trick Ben into attacking Luke.

Would of made more sense.

Now Luke being withdrawn and thinking himself a failure and leaving, that doesn't bother me so much. Being disillusioned like that after watching everything you work for crumble, doesn't bother me. It's actually a perfectly sane response.