Just used Master's Datacron...

LordTynell

Is the 230 gear the purple crate gear with set bonus or some unmoddable crap? If it is unmoddable, is the appearance unique at least?

It's the same gear you get from the 230 vendor. Not perfectly chosen though, I got two of the exact same relics and the wrong implants to get enough accuracy but beyond that it's the same stuff.

Sounds like a good deal.

But my main concern is how bad the influx of insta-70 newbs is going to be. Until this was available you could at least mouse over a character and see their armor rating and know if they were a fresh 70 or not. Now they'll have a 230 armor rating and be more clueless than before. Yay team! :rolleyes:

First we get perma 12x xp for class story and primary planetary missions that have been dumbed down to Romper Room difficulty, and God-Bots that all but run FP's, so people don't learn their class. Insta-60's, Insta-65's. Now insta-70's. And these are players that, after a tank rounds up a group nicely for some major dps output, hit force wave / overload, and send the mobs flying just when the AoE's are fired off, because when the skill auto popped on their bar, they were too ignorant to move it to another slot and use it in their rotation.

I used a few sofar, still need to level up a Smuggler and Bounty Hunter so I decided to make things a little bit easier to get through the class story. I dont like the playstyle of both so after that I wont touch them i guess. Saves me the trouble to change the gear while leveling.

And I used one on my Sith Assassin as I was leveling it, nice to get the new 230 stuff so that I dont have to wonder with that for a while.

Sounds like a good deal.

But my main concern is how bad the influx of insta-70 newbs is going to be. Until this was available you could at least mouse over a character and see their armor rating and know if they were a fresh 70 or not. Now they'll have a 230 armor rating and be more clueless than before. Yay team! :rolleyes:

First we get perma 12x xp for class story and primary planetary missions that have been dumbed down to Romper Room difficulty, and God-Bots that all but run FP's, so people don't learn their class. Insta-60's, Insta-65's. Now insta-70's. And these are players that, after a tank rounds up a group nicely for some major dps output, hit force wave / overload, and send the mobs flying just when the AoE's are fired off, because when the skill auto popped on their bar, they were too ignorant to move it to another slot and use it in their rotation.

No different than the insta-70 newbs we got with the prior token which set them to 70 with no story.

Level 70 in an operation: "What do you mean, use my cleanse?"

No different than the insta-70 newbs we got with the prior token which set them to 70 with no story.

Level 70 in an operation: "What do you mean, use my cleanse?"

I wasn't aware of those tokens. I cancelled last year before KoTET, and I won't touch the game without a sub. But yeah. Same situation as before. Cluelessness runs rampant with the insta-levels. And it's not just in operations. You see it most often in flashpoints.

I know. I love these things. I have used 4 of them.

I had a powertech since launch and I love the character but I usually tank with my JK and SW so I dont use him much.

I deleted him and rerolled him as a mercenary. It's awesome. I get to replay all the old story again only this time I can hide head slot and wear cooler outfits. So no he is my primary DPS when I am not tanking.

I have used like 4 of these already lol. Playing the original game and getting CxP for is a bonus.

Sounds like a good deal.

I will take clueless players in 230 gear over the clueless level 70s still in sub level 70 because they never knew they could just buy the 230 stuff.

Sounds like a good deal.

I have classes I leveled up the old fashioned way pre-legacy that I was still "doing wrong" until streamlining. I also never set foot in an FP until I was forced to.

i have classes on 12XP that I got the hang of almost instantly. I also have classes that despite having for years I still have no idea what to do with besides facemash.

Time spent leveling doesn't mean a damn thing. Time spent playing overall might, but that's true of any activity. Otherwise, I think you either get trinity-based group combat, or you don't. It can be explained but the best way to get a feel is to actually do it. Once you do have that feel, the rest is details.

On-topic, nice to hear the gear is not gimped on the Master Datacron. Sorely tempted to use a few.

I used a few sofar, still need to level up a Smuggler and Bounty Hunter so I decided to make things a little bit easier to get through the class story. I dont like the playstyle of both so after that I wont touch them i guess. Saves me the trouble to change the gear while leveling.

And I used one on my Sith Assassin as I was leveling it, nice to get the new 230 stuff so that I dont have to wonder with that for a while.

I'm kind of amazed you'd need easier. The leveling is so easy now you can just about sleep through all of it. Add a companion at first level and even that is a breeze and once you hit level sync, nothing is hard until you get to end game content.

Personally, I refuse to pay EA $20 to get the levels. They just aren't worth it.

I have classes I leveled up the old fashioned way pre-legacy that I was still "doing wrong" until streamlining. I also never set foot in an FP until I was forced to.

i have classes on 12XP that I got the hang of almost instantly. I also have classes that despite having for years I still have no idea what to do with besides facemash.

Time spent leveling doesn't mean a damn thing. Time spent playing overall might, but that's true of any activity. Otherwise, I think you either get trinity-based group combat, or you don't. It can be explained but the best way to get a feel is to actually do it. Once you do have that feel, the rest is details.

On-topic, nice to hear the gear is not gimped on the Master Datacron. Sorely tempted to use a few.

You nailed it!

I've been playing forever and have played through all the classes. I don't know proper rotations, though I do know what all of my abilities are (on my main). I do not know any of that stuff on my alts. I learn it well enough while playing the story, most of which was done before changes to comps and difficulty. But I totally forget it if I haven't played the character in a few months.

Time spent playing =/= competence. :t_frown:

It's the same gear you get from the 230 vendor. Not perfectly chosen though, I got two of the exact same relics and the wrong implants to get enough accuracy but beyond that it's the same stuff.

Yeah it's an excellent starter set, to build upon. Or for an alt.. probably the last and only set until a level cap increase comes.

If it is going to be your last set.... being the character is an alt or similar... then you will probably want to tweak your mods enhancements and some of the repeat secondary items..... but overall... a good functional set for a new level 70... with set bonus.

Edited by Andryah

I used one on my level 41 or so warrior... With the result that my speeder piloting is stuck on level 3 (I made a ticket of course... no answer yet).

So just beware of using them on above-first level chars..

I used the MD on a level 25 character yesterday. When it completed.. I was at speeder 3 and could immediately purchase speeder 4 and speeder 5 from my Legacy.

Silly. You don't need gear to level through the class story. You could be naked and it would still be too easy.

You nailed it!

I've been playing forever and have played through all the classes. I don't know proper rotations, though I do know what all of my abilities are (on my main). I do not know any of that stuff on my alts. I learn it well enough while playing the story, most of which was done before changes to comps and difficulty. But I totally forget it if I haven't played the character in a few months.

Time spent playing =/= competence. :t_frown:

I really appreciate someone starting up this discussion, and I can definitely relate to what you say about not knowing proper rotations. Even after playing SWTOR since it opened the doors, I STILL wonder at many of my various alts' abilities.

However, I pick up on quite a bit while re-playing any given class, like you mentioned. In my case, because my playtime is VERY limited, so much time passes between sessions that unless I can do a weekend binge (or a double-XP event), I'll forget nearly everything and find myself fumbling through a quick familiarization on poor, unsuspecting NPC mobs.

I decided to take the chance with the Master's Datacron with a character I had only managed to get to Nar Shaddaa during the recent 2X-XP event, and I was thrilled at how things have gone since. In fact, I've already dropped funds for two more Datacrons, and will very likely continue doing so. The first two alts were nearly there already, so my current 70-enabled alt is a Marauder, starting planet and all.

I have wanted a way to replay a story with the same alts for a long time now-- certainly since the GC-centric expansions came along. I mean, I've probably said this before, but I just don't have any interest in the post-SWTOR game. Classic SWTOR is where I live, when I'm able to log on. I may know the highlights by heart at this stage, but I'm still a long way from being bored with the 8 class stories-- again, because it can take me 3-4 months just to play my way to the Tatooine!!. Earning Command Points now is cool, but I doubt I'll ever have a use for them since I don't progress into KOTFE/KOTET, that other game.

With the Datacron, I no longer need to worry about racking up XP points through Heroics, side missions, and Planetary Missions! I get to focus exclusively on my Class story itself. I can just play SWTOR now, and stop feeling frustrated because I can't find enough playtime to get to a level in order to proceed. The experience has smoothed out, for sure!

In fact, I'm keeping track right now on how much time the Datacron is saving me— and for the first time (no pun intended, really!) in a long time, I'm finding myself enjoying SWTOR again, and even looking forward to my next opportunity to log in.

Does this amount to Pay-2-Play? I guess I have to leave it to the masses to make up their minds, but it seems that since I don't have the TIME available to invest in gameplay, I do have funds to invest in my gameplay. Either way, there's an investment. And really, if buying the Datacron bump means that it now will take me only a month to play through a class story to completion, with 8 stories that amounts to eight months of gameplay-- by which time I will have forgotten how to play the earliest classes I started with anyhow, and can enjoy playing again for the first time. lol

The downside is definitely getting all of the sudden-70 abilities dropped into my action bars. Yikes!! So, I've been learning how to adjust for that windfall, of course. And the 1-hit encounters are a bit embarrassing for me as I move through the initial planets on my way to Nar Shaddaa... but at the same time it has added a subtle nuance to my gameplay, as my Marauder's real latent power is more obvious than ever... and I am looking forward to facing down Darth Baras in due course (See, I remember the highlights of the class stories!!).

The mods I simply removed and put into my gear of choice-- but make sure you have some funds for your starting character if you do switches... it's 16k per item removed!

Also, I experienced the Level 3 Piloting situation when I activated the Datacron and, like some others said, I simply purchased L4 and then L5 so I could feel the wind in my hair. :)

My question at this point is: Is the Datacron a once-only? Will I later be able to "reset" said character back to the start of the class story and be allowed to retain the 70?