LF Official Word on "Grey Rewards"

bChura

You make it sound so easy. From many sources I have been told that you can easily screw up your alignment by choosing a few choices the way you want to. Say you want to be tier 5 light but you end up choosing a few dark side choices along the way, you won't be able to reach tier 5.

Some say this is gossip but this is something that people should be aware of right away.

there are still plenty of ways to grind out alignment. either through diplomacy or dungeon running.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So you want a reward for being... neutral?

Look at it this way... if you chose the red team, you get to wear red shirts, if you choose the green team you get to wear green shirts... now, you want what from who for doing ... nothing? For aligning with nothing?

Why do ppl always want something even for doing nothing... I mean... pick door number one or pick door number 2! "I dont want to pick a door" CONGRATULATIONS, you just won a brand new car for choosing... NOTHING.

Does it make sense? I dont think so... pick a side, then that side sponsors you if you really deserve it. Makes a lot more sense

Cause hitting a button is oh so hard right? lol. In the end it's the same amount of "effort" (lol, what a joke it's not even an effort to blindly hit red or blue).

Quite frankly I think the whole light side and dark side point system is stupid. If they wanted to "reward" people for that kind of thing they should have done so with vanity items or titles. They should NOT tie in anything that affects gameplay (like gear). It's a terrible idea for a game that is supposed to be so story focused. The current system as it is encourages people to just blindly hit red or blue to rack up points. There is no thinking involved. No contemplating. Real life isn't so black and white. Even in game sometimes the choices aren't so clear cut. I've come across quests where I consider the right choice to be the dark side one. It would be nice if the system encouraged people to play how they want to play.

Tell me, how many 'grey options' did you choose and how many grey points do you have?

Why people can't understand that you can play choosing the best options from your point of view, not just "pick light side always / pick dark side always".

It's lame. Come on, unless your reasoning for choosing options of a one side are only to get certain grade of lightness/darkess for equipment - you'll always end up choosing opposite options from time to time. In some cases you may end up choosing them so often that you come out gray at level 50.

Is that so really very difficult to understand?

You seriously disappoint me with the lack of imagination people.

Not everyone play this game only for NUMBERS and SPREADSHEET to get gear X or gear Y.

Some people unlike you play it for story and making choices they LIKE.

So for these people game should deliver some gray rewards as well. It can't be that people get rewarded only if they blindly choose light (or dark) side option through whole story like kids.

How to make gray gear?

Forbid it to Dark II and Light II, make it require level 30+.

Add smuggler selling them on Republican station, and Bountyhunter selling them on Imperial station.

Problem solved.

Edited by Sky_walkerPL

It doesn't really have to be anything elaborate, but I do feel compelled to reach Light or Dark II on all characters so I can have relics.

Just add some grey relics or even just remove the alignment restriction for some and I'm good.

So the question is, will there actually be Grey Rewards coming to the game, and if so, will they be available soon?

From "BioWare’s Stephen Reid Answers Questions on Reddit":

Q: I was wondering if you could shed some light on neutral gear

A: As I understand it neutral gear was harder to implement than first thought, and was unfortunately moved out of the launch window. It’s not ‘dead’, and James Ohlen brings it up as something he’s a fan of quite often, so.. chances are pretty good it’ll make it in someday.

source:

digest:http://torwars.com/2011/12/28/bioware’s-stephen-reid-answers-questions-on-reddit/

Edited by Lomedae

You make it sound so easy. From many sources I have been told that you can easily screw up your alignment by choosing a few choices the way you want to. Say you want to be tier 5 light but you end up choosing a few dark side choices along the way, you won't be able to reach tier 5.

Some say this is gossip but this is something that people should be aware of right away.

Of course it's gossip. It's completely false as well.

Why people can't understand that you can play choosing the best options from your point of view, not just "pick light side always / pick dark side always".

It's lame. Come on, unless your reasoning for choosing options of a one side are only to get certain grade of lightness/darkess for equipment - you'll always end up choosing opposite options from time to time. In some cases you may end up choosing them so often that you come out gray at level 50.

Not everyone play this game only for NUMBERS and SPREADSHEET to get gear X or gear Y.

So for these people game should deliver some gray rewards as well. It can't be that people get rewarded only if they blindly choose light (or dark) side option through whole story like kids.

How to make gray gear?

Add smuggler selling them on Republican station, and Bountyhunter selling them on Imperial station.

Problem solved.

So where does Grey 5 come from? is that when you have a perfect balance between dark and light? People on this bandwagon keep talking about being able to choose randomly instead of going mostly light of dark but the reality is that they are going to regiment their choices just as much as anyone to maintain a false balance.

Look at it this way... if you chose the red team, you get to wear red shirts, if you choose the green team you get to wear green shirts... now, you want what from who for doing ... nothing? For aligning with nothing?

Why do ppl always want something even for doing nothing... I mean... pick door number one or pick door number 2! "I dont want to pick a door" CONGRATULATIONS, you just won a brand new car for choosing... NOTHING.

Does it make sense? I dont think so... pick a side, then that side sponsors you if you really deserve it. Makes a lot more sense

Haha perfect.

In a game where choice acts to strongly on your character you'd think the players would have a broader vision than "black or white".

Star Wars is and was always and as far as I know will always be Black and White. No rainbows in Star Wars never was

Stephen Reid commented neutral gear in his Q&A yesterday

Reddit: I was wondering if you could shed some light on neutral gear

As I understand it neutral gear was harder to implement than first thought, and was unfortunately moved out of the launch window. It’s not ‘dead’, and James Ohlen brings it up as something he’s a fan of quite often, so.. chances are pretty good it’ll make it in someday.

How to make gray gear?

Problem solved.

So where does Grey 5 come from? is that when you have a perfect balance between dark and light? People on this bandwagon keep talking about being able to choose randomly instead of going mostly light of dark but the reality is that they are going to regiment their choices just as much as anyone to maintain a false balance.

Gray 5 == lvl 50, forbidden to Dark II, Light II.

Simple as that.

Alternatively you can require certain amount of side points. Say: as much side choice points as it takes for Light 5 only it's forbidden for Dark II and Light II. Would make it bit harder to get, and actually impossible to reach by PvP crowd who don't play any storyline in story-based MMO, but I still wouldn't mind if gray items would be easier to get and restricted only by level + lack of any strong alignment.

And gray doesn't mean a perfect balance. No idea where from did you came out with this idea. It's a reward for players who care about story and making choices they like, not spreadsheet people running for perfect numbers!

Also: IT'S NOT ABOUT MAKING RANDOM CHOICES, MAN!

Star Wars is and was always and as far as I know will always be Black and White. No rainbows in Star Wars never was

Really? You aren't much into Star Wars universe, are you?

Edited by Sky_walkerPL

I play a Sith Warrior and have decided that my character wants to do what's best for the Empire, at level 41 that has me as grey.

Killing some people creates wasted opportunities or resources for the Empire, letting some people live is a danger to the Empire.

As a reward for my 40 levels of service to the Empire, I'm denied access to relics, so I craft my arse off to compensate.

I look forward to the day I can see items with both:

Unavailable to Light I and above

Unavailable to Dark I and above

Shouldnt you be pushing/pulling a catapult somewhere?

I'm all for it. In KOTOR, my guy was "gray", because that's the kind of character I had fun playing as. Hell, Jolee Bindo, a character created by Bioware no less, is a character who exemplifies the idea of a "gray Jedi", possibly more so than any other character in the lore.

But that's the kind of player I am with these things. I've played many a Bioware game, and always I do what I feel is what my character would do... nerdy, yes, but it's fun. Right now, my Trooper finally hit Dark II at level 25 because I've made a rather hefty amount of light side decisions, too. Still, being only slightly evil has nowhere near the perks of being full-blown kitten drowning evil, and as such I've found myself sometimes feeling kinda pushed into a Dark Side choice when maybe it isn't the most likely decision my guy would come to. But hey, at this point I guess if it comes down to it I could eventually just redo a bunch of Heroics and Flashpoints and go eeeeeeevil every time.

Life is not in black and white and if you live that way I feel sorry for you. Your statement is nothing but complete rubbish, not even relevant to what is being spoken of. I would go into it more but I'm sure more people will come around and let you know why.

You must not watch or read the movies, books, shows or games. I'm pretty sure over half of the choices made are not done in a black and white fashion. No one said rainbow either they said grey, huge difference.

This isn't true.

I'm tier 5 light, and up until I reached it, I had 25 points in dark. Now I'm at 10000 light, 0 dark. I lost my T5 light status by accidentally sending my companion on a dark side Diplomacy mission without realizing it. All I had to do was send them right back on another light Diplomacy mission, and I was right back at 10000 light, 0 dark.

Gray 5 == lvl 50, forbidden to Dark II, Light II.

Simple as that.

Alternatively you can require certain amount of side points. Say: as much side choice points as it takes for Light 5 only it's forbidden for Dark II and Light II. Would make it bit harder to get, and actually impossible to reach by PvP crowd who don't play any storyline in story-based MMO, but I still wouldn't mind if gray items would be easier to get and restricted only by level + lack of any strong alignment.

And gray doesn't mean a perfect balance. No idea where from did you came out with this idea. It's a reward for players who care about story and making choices they like, not spreadsheet people running for perfect numbers!

Also: IT'S NOT ABOUT MAKING RANDOM CHOICES, MAN!

Haha classic, so if cut away all the crap, you are going to do exactly what you want (which is great and what mmo's are all about) and you want a prize for it (which is about the most amazing level of entitlement I have seen in these forums and that saying something)

So being neutral is not a choice? This is news to me.

Im not saying its not a choice im saying that the game design lightside, darkside, must be darkside I or above tho have this or not to have that, i just dont see it happen.

Edited by Kumando

Life is not in black and white and if you live that way I feel sorry for you. Your statement is nothing but complete rubbish, not even relevant to what is being spoken of. I would go into it more but I'm sure more people will come around and let you know why.

this is a video game, not life.

'Grey' rewards are by definition items and equipment that would have NO RESTRICTION based on alignment.

Thus its not about reaching Dark V or Light V.

The grey rewards will have no restriction except level and thus Sith / Jedi would be able to wield neutral rewards as well. This dosent just allowed people to remain neutral but allow Sith / Jedi access to more selections as well.

Lightsabers already demonstrate this with some crystals being restricted and others not.

Thus gear needs to be added like Relics which is not restricted based on alignment.

TADA your not gimping yourself by choosing varying responses I.E

Choose a Dark choice rather than the Light which would allow you to use an item.

Instead you can use the 'grey' items which INCREASE variety in choices because people can choose freely and have access to equal gear.

Simple fact of the matter is the current game mechanics FORCE you to chose an alignment and stick with it. Fail to do so and you are punishing yourself out of alignment specific gear.

Thus people end up not reading anything except always choosing Blue or Red.