The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

--SPOILER-- SW The Last Jedi! Click at your own peril

Zidovain

This is old, I for one, would LOVE to see Mr. Christianson in action again if only to prove to the snarling masses that bad dialogue and pacing made his Anakin unsympathetic, not his talent.

i've never liked the Anakin character, he is more a whiner and complainer with serious emotional problems that comes across more like a small child than a responsible young adult with Jedi teachings. I was glad to see the end of it in episode 3 when Kenobi finally struck his pupil down, at long last.

Don't get me wrong i understand the role he is playing and what he was trying to provide as a character, but the whole thing was just terribad rather than unsympathetic. It's a credit to Hayden Christensen's acting that he could create a real mess of a character like that and make it believable.

Edited by Celise

I think people are too harsh on the prequel films and in particular much of the dialogue from Anakin.

That seems to be because the dialogue is awkward or not what we would expect from a sci-fi fantasy movie. A guy trying to impress a girl he has a crush on by finding her attacker is the Jedi equivalent of some some guy doing the pretty girls homework to impress her. Or Anakin getting annoyed when his put on the Jedi Council but not made a master is akin to someone at work getting told they have to take a lot of extra responsibilities but there is no promotion or pay rise. 'Its insulting you want me to work late every night and take on all these extra jobs for no more pay or recognition!'

Is it cool, hell no. Is it the Darth Vader we see in Rogue One, no. But I'm sure plenty of people have not been offered a promotion or a job have felt its unfair or not being appreciated for their true worth.

George Lucas simply isn't a dialogue writer. That's not a crime. His strength is concept and plot. Unfortunately, to crate sympathetic and compelling characters, good dialogue is essential.

He stole concepts and plots from other sources. Just one example of this was the book Dune. When Frank Herbert and David Lynch sat down to hammer out some details in 1981 for the film adaptation, they found over 25 major points of simularity between the original SW film and Frank Herbert's novel. It's even worse when you look at the original scripts and background information.

Lucas's primary strength is stealing from so many sources and blending them to the point where no one could bring litigation against him. What did "A New Hope" bring to the table that was original? Special effects. That's it. Lucas is the 70's version of Michael Bay. That doesn't make him a criminal, but it doesn't really make him a writer, or a artist of integrity either.

This is old, I for one, would LOVE to see Mr. Christianson in action again if only to prove to the snarling masses that bad dialogue and pacing made his Anakin unsympathetic, not his talent.

Oh please. that is why he has starred in only D (well mayyybeee C if I'm being nice) level movies since debut in SW. A majority of his film work post SW rates somewhere in the 4 range on a scale of 10 on IMDB. I'm not saying George is a good writer, but seriously you can't blame his acting abilities and lack thereof on George.

Edited by Tahana

He stole concepts and plots from other sources. Just one example of this was the book Dune. When Frank Herbert and David Lynch sat down to hammer out some details in 1981 for the film adaptation, they found over 25 major points of simularity between the original SW film and Frank Herbert's novel. It's even worse when you look at the original scripts and background information.

Lucas's primary strength is stealing from so many sources and blending them to the point where no one could bring litigation against him. What did "A New Hope" bring to the table that was original? Special effects. That's it. Lucas is the 70's version of Michael Bay. That doesn't make him a criminal, but it doesn't really make him a writer, or a artist of integrity either.

Oh good lord. This myth has been debunked more times than I can count. Lucas did not rip off Dune.

Oh good lord. This myth has been debunked more times than I can count. Lucas did not rip off Dune.

Debunked where and by whom exactly?

If you stopped watching cartoons and picked up a book, it would seem obvious to you too, from the concept of moisture farming all the way to jedi mind tricks, all stolen.

Oh please. that is why he has starred in only D (well mayyybeee C if I'm being nice) level movies since debut in SW. A majority of his film work post SW rates somewhere in the 4 range on a scale of 10 on IMDB. I'm not saying George is a good writer, but seriously you can't blame his acting abilities and lack thereof on George.

So Life As A House was a fluke? Yes, I know it came before EP II, but his acting was really good. Ever thought maybe it was because of the criticism of his acting in II and III he was never an A lister? Directors could've been scared to cast him because of all the criticism.

That is the outfit elder Luke is wearing in the new movie. He's wearing a robe over it so you have to focus on the belt. Regardless I have very little interest in the Disney trilogy because they are just sniping off all the original cast. First Han, this movie Leah (naturally), 3rd movie Luke. No thanks not interested in the new Game of Thrones plot format where they kill off the likable characters to force you to glom onto the less interesting people.

That is the outfit elder Luke is wearing in the new movie. He's wearing a robe over it so you have to focus on the belt. Regardless I have very little interest in the Disney trilogy because they are just sniping off all the original cast. First Han, this movie Leah (naturally), 3rd movie Luke. No thanks not interested in the new Game of Thrones plot format where they kill off the likable characters to force you to glom onto the less interesting people.

You do realize Harrison Ford asked to have his character killed right?

You do realise that Harrison never liked his character and as someone else pointed out he wanted the character killed off?

The Leia character was forced into retirement because Carrie had a massive heart attack on a plane the end of last year and died. it's unknown how much involvement she had before she passed away, but i would imagine just enough to make something of it for this film.

it's not about sniping characters from the series as Disney hasn't done any such thing for their own future installments yet. It remains to be seen what happens in the next episode in a months time with Luke and Chewbacca. However passing on the baton from one generation to the next is something that may need to be done at some point, i mean the cast from ep4 to ep6 are not getting any younger and regardless how you feel about them it needs to be done at some point.

Disney are also thinking about another trilogy of films after this group, so they have a longer term goal for their series. What any of it means after ep9 is anyones guess.

You do realise that Harrison never liked his character and as someone else pointed out he wanted the character killed off?

The Leia character was forced into retirement because Carrie had a massive heart attack on a plane the end of last year and died. it's unknown how much involvement she had before she passed away, but i would imagine just enough to make something of it for this film.

it's not about sniping characters from the series as Disney hasn't done any such thing for their own future installments yet. It remains to be seen what happens in the next episode in a months time with Luke and Chewbacca. However passing on the baton from one generation to the next is something that may need to be done at some point, i mean the cast from ep4 to ep6 are not getting any younger and regardless how you feel about them it needs to be done at some point.

Disney are also thinking about another trilogy of films after this group, so they have a longer term goal for their series. What any of it means after ep9 is anyones guess.

JJ Abrams killed off the original Spock too...obviously JJ Abrams is just a mean guy who likes killing our favorite characters off :mad:

Disney only killed off Han to appease Ford...no other reason. Fisher took everyone by surprise, but there was never any intent to kill off her character...they were forced to either replace her (which nobody would want) or, sadly write the character out naturally, which they did...Disney isn't trying to kill off characters though...that goes 100% against their entire marketing and toys sales.

I think people are too harsh on the prequel films and in particular much of the dialogue from Anakin.

That seems to be because the dialogue is awkward or not what we would expect from a sci-fi fantasy movie. A guy trying to impress a girl he has a crush on by finding her attacker is the Jedi equivalent of some some guy doing the pretty girls homework to impress her. Or Anakin getting annoyed when his put on the Jedi Council but not made a master is akin to someone at work getting told they have to take a lot of extra responsibilities but there is no promotion or pay rise. 'Its insulting you want me to work late every night and take on all these extra jobs for no more pay or recognition!'

Is it cool, hell no. Is it the Darth Vader we see in Rogue One, no. But I'm sure plenty of people have not been offered a promotion or a job have felt its unfair or not being appreciated for their true worth.

I liked EP 1 a lot save Jar jar. It was pretty good. EP 2 was fine. EP 3 is were I get lost. The story of what caused Anakin to become Vader is out of sequence. Product of bad story boarding. I think if they re did that story slightly differently it would have been an amazing movie. The slights. The early murder. The wooing to the darkside. The visions of darkness. Worked fine to build up. Council confronts emperor. Anakin helps becomes apprentice. Jedi find a senate like ours and no one listens to them on palpatine. He says they are assassins with powers. They demand proof. He still can give that speech. Makes more sense if rogue jedi are blamed for trying to take over the republic. Anakin flees to finish seperatists. Move Emperor yoda fight to merge with vader temple scene after order 66. Anakin fight obi-wan lose. Lose padme and the kids. Emperor births vader. Then they return to slaughter the jedi as vader it would have made more sense. yoda returns to confront the emperor. Vader leaves to chase obi-wan. Then is summonsed to final scene with tarkin.

because they are just sniping off all the original cast.
Do you plan on encasing Mark in carbonite or something? Dude isn't that young anymore. I mean seriously he is 66, it is time for the torch to be passed onto a newer, younger set of people.

So Life As A House was a fluke? Yes, I know it came before EP II, but his acting was really good. Ever thought maybe it was because of the criticism of his acting in II and III he was never an A lister? Directors could've been scared to cast him because of all the criticism.

Could be.. But what I'm saying is you can't just blame the writing. Dude isn't that good of an actor no matter what a small handful of people think. Some of the best movies started out as subpar movies and have ended up becoming cult classics. He has had some pretty decent plots for movies and they've pretty much bombed.

Edited by Tahana

• 2 weeks later...

Hayden Christianson, did his job very well playing his parts, and acted how so many other Jedi acted when they were about to go over to the Darkside. People said he was too whinny. Well, what the hell would you do and how would you feel in his shoes. Anyone in his shoes usually would act the same way, unless they were made of stone, and had no heart.

The people Need to Read the Prequel books to get the better and a fuller understanding of how Not just the Jedi Council was tearing his life apart, but also juggling a Marriage and trying to be a friend to what Anakain thought was his best friend the become Sidious.

In the Episode 3 book We see how Sidious Hypnotizes and slips his messages in Anakins head when Anakin is in a Hypnotic state. Sidious, so powerful that he could almost totally take over 1 of the Most powerful Jedi in about a thousand years, if he would have stayed a Jedi.

His acting was very realistic, and went crazy because he loved his Mother and hated that he left his Mother, and always had a love for Padme' to. He was torn apart on all sides.

Hayden Christianson, did his job very well playing his parts, and acted how so many other Jedi acted when they were about to go over to the Darkside. People said he was too whinny. Well, what the hell would you do and how would you feel in his shoes. Anyone in his shoes usually would act the same way, unless they were made of stone, and had no heart.

The people Need to Read the Prequel books to get the better and a fuller understanding of how Not just the Jedi Council was tearing his life apart, but also juggling a Marriage and trying to be a friend to what Anakain thought was his best friend the become Sidious.

In the Episode 3 book We see how Sidious Hypnotizes and slips his messages in Anakins head when Anakin is in a Hypnotic state. Sidious, so powerful that he could almost totally take over 1 of the Most powerful Jedi in about a thousand years, if he would have stayed a Jedi.

His acting was very realistic, and went crazy because he loved his Mother and hated that he left his Mother, and always had a love for Padme' to. He was torn apart on all sides.

^ This, you read my mind lol

JJ didnt kill Spock...Leonard Nimoy Died in 2015. The alternate version of his character is still alive in the JJ timeline and, hopefully, forgetting that last movie took place.. Anton Yelchin died, too....so no more Chekov unless he is recast.

as for HC...the dialog is what killed a lot of the prequels; and how they were presented. Ep1 should have been Anakin in his teens with flasbacks (if needed) to his childhood. Ep2 should have been about his actual fall with it ending with him as Vader. ep3 starts with Order 66 and shows the Rise of the Empire. it would have given us a lot. as it is now, with the pacing of the movies, is that the Empire simply are a collection of bumbling idiots and that any rebellious group can plan, execute, and destroy any big weapon they come up with. The "Empires" only major success, honestly, was the Clone Wars and the 18 years following that (if one were to be technical) Would have been awsome for the separatists to be using Clones as well with droids mixed into their ranks. Or taken a page from Star Trek and applied Eugenics...which is implied/outright stated being used in the New Order.

what follows is pretty simplistic:

The Empire/New Order is pretty much had a Monty Python skit: made a Death Star....that one got blown up. They made a second Death Star...that one got blown up. But, they prevailed and built a Death Planet!....that one got burned up and turned into a star....so, perhaps, the fourth one will stand until Lanclot (or his star wars equivalent, Laselot) shows up to save the prince(ss).

As for stealing story ideas...up until Star Wars i had never read or even heard of a story about a young person thrust into a heroic position against a cliche bad group who finds triumph in the end as he/she grows into their own./sarcasm. You simply cannot come up with anything without someone stating that someone stole the idea from someone else because of its similarities. its how we relate stories and our experiences.

Star Wars is the simple Fantasy formula thrust into space. Its in space, on a desert like planet...what else are they going to do...corner the market in sand castles? sand dollars? revitalize beach front property on other planets? they wanted him to be a simple person and farming is famous in fantasy as being the most humble of beginnings outside of being a slave...and they used that, too. The Empire? your same cliche bad guy group using WWII German imagery. What tickled me was how they had the Rogue group very similar to Allied forces in WWII storming the beach. even the helmets fit.

bah, time to head out again...oh, and what was this thread about again?