What's the attraction to Arcann?

Gebrakstkasten

It's very simple:

I feel that players (their characters) should be able to put an end to the person that killed over 50 trillion people, and have it not, by virtue of this being a dark side choice, "the bad guy" in this scenario.

Well, keep voicing your opinion, maybe they'll hear you and make changes.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I likely will not be exploring the Arcann-romance and if I do it'll be on a throwaway character just to see what BW has come up with but even that is a big maybe. I know it's 'just a game' and fantasy but as someone who's dealt with their share of abuse in RL, I just can't support this romance choice, not for myself, not in this case. I'm aware there are other 'evil' characters in game and yes, I am a Quinn supporter, I do love my bad boys and a villain redeemed but the Arcann story is too extreme for me personally. I cannot head-canon my way around all of his crimes and not just those where he killed millions but the numerous attempts he made on 'my' life. The sheer manipulation of setting me up to kill his father and then have me take the fall for it too, to be kept in carbonite for 5 years as his personal trophy. Cut off from everyone and everything, villainized in the eyes of Zakuulians and him using his hatred of 'me' to justify his atrocious acts, his mass murders... no. This is one story/romance that goes too far for me.

I hope those who've been begging for it and waiting will be rewarded, they'll get their dream but this is one I will most likely be passing on.

I likely will not be exploring the Arcann-romance and if I do it'll be on a throwaway character just to see what BW has come up with but even that is a big maybe. I know it's 'just a game' and fantasy but as someone who's dealt with their share of abuse in RL, I just can't support this romance choice, not for myself, not in this case. I'm aware there are other 'evil' characters in game and yes, I am a Quinn supporter, I do love my bad boys and a villain redeemed but the Arcann story is too extreme for me personally. I cannot head-canon my way around all of his crimes and not just those where he killed millions but the numerous attempts he made on 'my' life. The sheer manipulation of setting me up to kill his father and then have me take the fall for it too, to be kept in carbonite for 5 years as his personal trophy. Cut off from everyone and everything, villainized in the eyes of Zakuulians and him using his hatred of 'me' to justify his atrocious acts, his mass murders... no. This is one story/romance that goes too far for me.

I hope those who've been begging for it and waiting will be rewarded, they'll get their dream but this is one I will most likely be passing on.

There she is! Welcome back :D

And I agree with you completely, his crimes are too extreme for me to overlook. This is a man who killed trillions (and anyone who wonders about where that number came from, Scourge says it during the JK story when he is trying to help JK to keep the Emperor from devouring planets to fuel his immortality, so there is a precedent set that several planets <1 and >5 amounts to trillions...but I digress), as you say there are 'bad boy' characters in this game, and I appreciate them, but the scope and magnitude of everything Arcann has done, is too much for me to really love a person like this. You take a guy like Skavak for example, he's rotten, he's done bad stuff, but you can in no way equate him to Arcann in terms of atrocities committed.

As you say, it's a story, but for some people it just hits a little too close to home and past experience to ever be enticing enough to an abuse survivor to want to play through. Why would you play something that brings back horrible experiences.

Anyways, agreed, and a hearty welcome back to you. :)

It's very simple:

I feel that players (their characters) should be able to put an end to the person that killed over 50 trillion people, and have it not, by virtue of this being a dark side choice, "the bad guy" in this scenario.

I agree with you completely. There is no magick in my thinking that washes away the committal of atrocities of this magnitude. While Arcann may have been 'cleansed' by the Voss, that does nothing for the survivors of his planet razing, and for those who fought against his tyranny. There is also the question of having the 'cleansing' forced on him by his mom...did he even want it?

You can't expect survivors to suddenly forgive a man who destroyed their family, livelihood, and planet. He is a mad dog that needed putting down like you said; there should be no dark penalty for it either. They can bandy around the word redemption all they want, but there is no redeeming a monster and it's ridiculous to expect people of sound mind to suddenly love him because he said he's sorry and underwent some forced therapy. He has done nothing to repay his debt to society. I'll never understand the contingent that drool over him and go, 'ooh hawt, *slobber some more* I don't care if he's murdered planets full of people...he's just so freeeeaking hawt.' :rolleyes:

It's the scars right? Chicks dig the scars.:p

I kept him alive just because I never intend to do the Zakuul nonsense ever again.

And the Voice!:D It's not a voice! It's pleasure for the female ears!

Arсann is the real Phantom of the Opera! It is a great pity that he does not sing.:o

I would like to hear how he sings!

I think it's a sign of a well written character when it can/does evoke the emotional responses that in this case Arcann has.

Some love him and the redemption story and were ecstatic that he was joining us as a companion with I believe a romance option.

Others like myself couldn't kill him fast enough. Either love him or hate him props to BW for creating/writing a character that has that sort of appeal

I agree!

And if people don't want to romance him, that's their choice! I'm for one happy that I got what I wanted.:D Arcann romance! And those who wanted him dead got what they wanted too. Win win for either party.

I'm happy that Arcann has such a large fanbase, couldn't have gotten the romance request granted with little interest from the community.

Thank you everyone who spoke up and requested Arcann romance on the forums, Reddit and live streams.🤗

And the Voice!:D It's not a voice! It's pleasure for the female ears!

Arсann is the real Phantom of the Opera! It is a great pity that he does not sing.:o

I would like to hear how he sings!

I agree :D

The first time I clicked him by mistake and I heard the "I'm here" I was like... OMG...

I agree with you completely. There is no magick in my thinking that washes away the committal of atrocities of this magnitude. While Arcann may have been 'cleansed' by the Voss, that does nothing for the survivors of his planet razing, and for those who fought against his tyranny. There is also the question of having the 'cleansing' forced on him by his mom...did he even want it?

You can't expect survivors to suddenly forgive a man who destroyed their family, livelihood, and planet. He is a mad dog that needed putting down like you said; there should be no dark penalty for it either. They can bandy around the word redemption all they want, but there is no redeeming a monster and it's ridiculous to expect people of sound mind to suddenly love him because he said he's sorry and underwent some forced therapy. He has done nothing to repay his debt to society. I'll never understand the contingent that drool over him and go, 'ooh hawt, *slobber some more* I don't care if he's murdered planets full of people...he's just so freeeeaking hawt.' :rolleyes:

According to the information from different information from the other storylines I'm fairly certain that Voss can't coerce people into healing. The sick person in mind or in body needs to be willing.

Nobody ever said that people should suddenly or did "suddenly" forgive Arcann he works to earn it! How does the life of one man balance the deaths of everyone else? It doesn't! Nothing can equal the crime, but fighting for the Alliance IS REPAYING his debt to society, he helps you defeat his sister and his father! What more can he do?

Now that's sorted, I want to romance my lightsabers.

Make it happen BW. I want a full on romance with hours of dialogue. I'll even provide a fiver to finance it.

Weirder things have been suggested, I think you have a chance.🎅

I agree :D

The first time I clicked him by mistake and I heard the "I'm here" I was like... OMG...

Yes! /Swoon.💕

Edited by Eshvara

The attraction is the same as the guys that dig the crazy chic with the tatoos. It's the unexpected, the unexplained, mysterious. Someone you are not sure you can get makes you try that much harder. Other than that I admit that I had a thing for the bad boy (older and wiser I hope). And a great voice does not hurt. Just close your eyes and listen to an old Sean Connery movie. don't look just listen. Dam Edited by Riessa

In fiction I tend to like the opposite of what I'd go for irl. It's innocent and harmless and there are no consequences. I find villains to be more complex than their counterparts and I've liked characters who have done far worse than Arcann ever could when he was still DS.

I can't for the life of me compare it to real life situations, I've seen odd things flying around like domestic abuse... I just don't get it. /Shrug.

But if it's a trigger for others by all means avoid it, that's what I would do if it were me. In real life people want safety, stability and all the other things, in game I don't have to care about those things so I don't.

Edited by Eshvara

In fiction I tend to like the opposite of what I'd go for irl. It's innocent and harmless and there are no consequences. I find villains to be more complex that their counterparts and I've liked characters who have done far worse than Arcann ever could when he was still DS.

I can't for the life of me compare it to real life situations, I've seen odd things flying around like domestic abuse... I just don't get it. /Shrug.

But if it's a trigger for others by all means avoid it, that's what I would do if it were me. In real life people want safety, stability and all the other things, in game I don't have to care about those things so I don't.

Truth right here. I was a part of the camp that wanted a Vaylin romance. I thought it would be humorous, to say the least, and an interesting way to find out what makes the looney toon tick. Irl? I wouldn't go anywhere near that kind of crazy.

I wish Vaylin could have been healed. The torture she endured... But as she said, she never wanted saving. When Arcann saved Senya he was not healed, when he offered to release your friends and re-freeze you he had no reason to lie. He's not a "mad dog" he made terrible choices that were in complete alignment with his upbringing and the abuse he suffered. He has to keep working toward redemption one act is not enough, it's a lifetime journey.

Think of what the Trooper does if they follow Garza's orders.

Kill innocent victims.

Allows the Republic to engineer a bioweapon out of the Rakghoul virus.

Make a total mess on Voss blasting around and killing any chance for an alliance.

Lie to the official government which is basically treason.

Now, let's face it... Is someone like Garza or Zenith, or Saresh any better than Arcann?

In fiction I tend to like the opposite of what I'd go for irl. It's innocent and harmless and there are no consequences. I find villains to be more complex that their counterparts and I've liked characters who have done far worse than Arcann ever could when he was still DS.

I agree. Villains get the best stories and the most complex personalities. I love horror movies, books... so no surprise I love the bad guys in games as well. All my main toons are villains. I have some that aren't, but those are the ones I play the least... like my consular. She's so boring!

According to the information from different information from the other storylines I'm fairly certain that Voss can't coerce people into healing. The sick person in mind or in body needs to be willing.

Nobody ever said that people should suddenly or did "suddenly" forgive Arcann he works to earn it! How does the life of one man balance the deaths of everyone else? It doesn't! Nothing can equal the crime, but fighting for the Alliance IS REPAYING his debt to society, he helps you defeat his sister and his father! What more can he do?

Well, I'm no Voss expert, I don't even like their culture that much lol, but what you say about them sounds reasonable enough. I hope that's the case.

I just can't see the people in the Alliance being able to go along with not only having this guy fight with them, but 'together' with the Outlander romantically. I'd be amazed if like someone else said, that they'd not assassinate him where he stood for all he did, healing or not. The story really isn't very realistic, but I suppose that's so they can create this 'romance.'

Helping the alliance isn't really enough to atone for crimes of that magnitude, I don't know what would be enough, short of some grand act of self-sacrifice in which the likely outcome would be his death. It is what it is, but it doesn't sit well with me personally, but if that's what people want to do, whatevs, it's just not for me and is quite disappointing to me personally.

I agree!

And if people don't want to romance him, that's their choice! I'm for one happy that I got what I wanted.:D Arcann romance! And those who wanted him dead got what they wanted too. Win win for either party.

I'm happy that Arcann has such a large fanbase, couldn't have gotten the romance request granted with little interest from the community.

Thank you everyone who spoke up and requested Arcann romance on the forums, Reddit and live streams.🤗

^Right on!

Bring on more Arcann content!!:D

Romance: you bet : "The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death." - Oscar Wilde

So much BW can do with his character.

Outlander meets Thexan's force ghost/ journeys with Arcann - a guy can dream.

Arcann's seat on the Alliance War Counsel - they'd be crazy to let someone of Arcann's talents and ability go to waste.

Arcann leads an elite team of raiders to neutralize Alliance enemies, etc.

Modifiable Arcann - hopefully soon..

Edited by Willjb

I agree. Villains get the best stories and the most complex personalities. I love horror movies, books... so no surprise I love the bad guys in games as well. All my main toons are villains. I have some that aren't, but those are the ones I play the least... like my consular. She's so boring!

I typically just seem to dislike characters who are written to be liked, especially when it comes to LI.

Which is why(for me) before now I had nothing about Theron Shan that made me like him. He was perfect and flawless, doesn't really care much for anything you do wrong. My character isn't perfect so I don't want her LI to be perfect either.

After Theron's betrayal I actually find him interesting and I love his new look. I think for once to me, he seems human.

Even if the story does end up to be a triple agent thing or whatever, he took some action and I appreciate that!

That said, (In general)I'm talking about me personally, please don't be insulted if you liked him before just fine. We all like different things and I'm not judging anyone for that! :)

^Right on!

Bring on more Arcann content!!:D

Romance: you bet : "The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death." - Oscar Wilde

So much BW can do with his character.

Outlander meets Thexan's force ghost/ journeys with Arcann - a guy can dream.

Arcann's seat on the Alliance War Counsel - they'd be crazy to let someone of Arcann's talents and ability go to waste.

Arcann leads an elite team of raiders to neutralize Alliance enemies, etc.

Modifiable Arcann - hopefully soon..

Yush!

Edited by Eshvara

I typically just seem to dislike characters who are written to be liked, especially when it comes to LI.

Which is why(for me) before now I had nothing about Theron Shan that made me like him. He was perfect and flawless, doesn't really care much for anything you do wrong. My character isn't perfect so I don't want her LI to be perfect either.

After Theron's betrayal I actually find him interesting and I love his new look. I think for once to me, he seems human.

Even if the story does end up to be a triple agent thing or whatever, he took some action and I appreciate that!

Same here. I romanced him on my Smuggler, just for kicks, but only through the KotFE/ET parts and it was....okay. Then decided to have my SW flirt with him during the FA storyline just for the sake of getting a poke in at Satele Shan..."Hey Jedi Grandmaster, your son has fallen in love with the Emperor's Wrath!". I didn't intend to continue it during KotFE/ET until the trailer dropped for the upcoming expansion and suddenly it's like "Oooo...he's actually gotten interesting now!". So, she romanced him up until Iokath and her reunion with her husband. Now I'm looking forward to hopping back on my Smuggler for the new expansion and seeing where it goes.

Same here. I romanced him on my Smuggler, just for kicks, but only through the KotFE/ET parts and it was....okay. Then decided to have my SW flirt with him during the FA storyline just for the sake of getting a poke in at Satele Shan..."Hey Jedi Grandmaster, your son has fallen in love with the Emperor's Wrath!". I didn't intend to continue it during KotFE/ET until the trailer dropped for the upcoming expansion and suddenly it's like "Oooo...he's actually gotten interesting now!". So, she romanced him up until Iokath and her reunion with her husband. Now I'm looking forward to hopping back on my Smuggler for the new expansion and seeing where it goes.

I did his romance up to the lock in point, then I just didn't feel like continuing and deleted the toon as I didn't want it in a relationship with Theron. I somewhat regret that now. :p But my I still have some single characters who will happily indulge after everything that went down with him! I'm quite excited.:)

I did his romance up to the lock in point, then I just didn't feel like continuing and deleted the toon as I didn't want it in a relationship with Theron. I somewhat regret that now. :p But my I still have some single characters who will happily indulge after everything that went down with him! I'm quite excited.:)

complete opposite opinion where it comes to Theron, but he was never flawless or perfect, the only comment I'll disagree on. he'd also spoken out against my character a few times in choices, which I liked - he was opinionated, this was just the first time he offed and completely changed personality on me and started making zero sense for 4 of 5 of my characters : only one that the betrayal made sense was for my homicidally insane "peacekeeper" where my thought was "yup, I'd be worried if he hadn't switched sides on her" but it didn't for my other 4 characters is where I'm upset about it. I despise that unless he's faking the whole thing, which I still don't like but I am still interested to see where it goes.

I quit swtor over Theron's changes (personality, betrayal and hair changes) but I came back for Arcann's revealed info and server consolidations (maybe I can finally get queues to pop...)

Story is all I play for since group finder takes hours to pop for uprisings and gsf (the only two group contents I want to play but can't because no-one does them!!)

At least Arcann got more stuff, I made a couple of new characters just because of him!

Edited by Asmodesu

Well, I'm no Voss expert, I don't even like their culture that much lol, but what you say about them sounds reasonable enough. I hope that's the case.

I just can't see the people in the Alliance being able to go along with not only having this guy fight with them, but 'together' with the Outlander romantically. I'd be amazed if like someone else said, that they'd not assassinate him where he stood for all he did, healing or not. The story really isn't very realistic, but I suppose that's so they can create this 'romance.'

Helping the alliance isn't really enough to atone for crimes of that magnitude, I don't know what would be enough, short of some grand act of self-sacrifice in which the likely outcome would be his death. It is what it is, but it doesn't sit well with me personally, but if that's what people want to do, whatevs, it's just not for me and is quite disappointing to me personally.

Helping outlander kill his sister isn't enough? Also, in order to kill Arcann you must kill Senya. What did she do to deserve death? That's murder too! 1 person or a trillion it makes no difference.

Maybe it is just me but I do get the impression people are not just stating their opinions but like trying to make people feeling guilty for liking Arcann.

There are always people who will like or hate a certain character - for whatever reason. They don't have to justify this - not for liking and not for not liking.

That being said if people say "why would you do/like something in game that you don't do/like in RL" - why and how are you playing this or other games at all? I mean if you just decorate your stronghold ok but how often (especially if you play darkside) do you do things that you wouldn't (hopefully) do in RL too?

This is a game we are speaking about. You might choke, stab, gun people or do other ruthless things. You might be a perfect Jedi or a bad Sith in game - this says nothing about you in RL. And yes, people might very well enjoy doing (good or bad) things in game that they would (or could) never ever do in RL.

And saying a character is ugly or physically unattractive - this is personal taste. You hate it, someone else might love it. I for example don't mind Arcann being bald or having scars - looks like some of my own chars in this regard. For example I don't find Scourge that much attractive but still I think Scourge is a fascinating and great character and I would gladly have him as a LI too. And there might even be customization options to change the appearance.

Regarding him "being a monster":

So - killing hundreds or children is ok but millions not? So we are fine with all the people Revan killed because he was our player char? And that he at least planned genocide? But hey, we stopped him in time so it is ok right? And Vader/Anakin killing children is not a problem too I guess.

Does it really matter if Arcann killed millions or trillions (and we only know from Senya that millions are dead - we don't know which planets were targeted and how high the population was. You cannot just assume that all planets have the same average population and therefore say it has to be trillions) - a lot of people are dead.

And I have many characters that I play in game that will not be ok with that. And I am still disappointed that we see no reaction from the alliance when Arcann is still alive and running around on Odessen.

But the point I am trying to make here is:

- this is a game (as stated above) - liking Arcann in game doesn't mean you are personaly in RL ok with that or would romance him in RL

- Sith and other characters (in republic too), even our player characters can do terrible ruthless things. Even Quinn has no problem sacrificing civilians if it results in a tactical advantage. And I have no problem with that when I play my Sith warriors for example. Doesn't mean I approve of it in RL.

- Not every Sith is the same of course but the ones we know are mostly quite ruthless and not caring about other people deaths. Such as Jadus. And Scourge and Marr can be pretty ruthless too. We don't see them bombing whole planets in game but that doesn't mean that they would never do it. I would expect them to do it. They are Sith and DS and killed their share of people too. Just because it were maybe hundreds but not millions make them any better?

For me personally (trying to answer OPs question):

I like the redemption Arc and I am curious about what happens further. I still hope we get some reaction from the allicance members about him. So having him as a romance option is a good sign for me because then we get more dialog with him - otherwise I think they would have ignored him.

I don't mind his appearance and while I find his voice ok it is not that I find him "hot". I have one or two characters that I plan to use to romance him - one LS, one DS to see if there are differences in dialog.