Are people prepared to possibly lose decorations when the servers merge?

Ratajack

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Understand completely and it will inhale very sharply into the lungs. If you were lucky to get two rare drops from an RNG crate (say the sarlacc) on EH and then again on Shadowlands...come merger...you will only have 1 Sarlacc. With out them making it additive which, honestly, i dont see an issue with considering you cannot sell any of the unlocked items, there is very little ways out of this.

something that will be equally as harsh is when you have to level 50 legacies: 1 has a tone of decorations because it was EH and you like to decorate. But on Shadowlands, you just played and had very minimal decorations at all, but had all the datacrons unlocked and a ton other items unlocked for that legacy. If i am understanding this correctly, then some algorithm will be employed that will randomly choose which legacy gets billing and which doesnt. the ultmiate RNG crate. do you have to do the datacron hunt again? or do you lose your decos. I could be seeing this last one wrong though.

Johnny purchased 5 GTN kiosks, one for each of the 5 servers on which he plays. He places one in his Nar Shadaa stronghold on each of those servers.

The highest number of GTN kiosks he has in any legacy is one, although he purchased 5 of them. If I understand the FAQ correctly, this means that when the servers are merged, he likely will be left with ONE GTN kiosk, not the 5 he purchased.

This is me! Back when server transfers were crazy expensive I had to buy all the key utilities on each server. So I bought a 2 cargo bays, 2 GTNs (and in some cases a Guild Bank as well) on each of Shadowlands, Jedi Cov, Ebon Hawk and POT5. So right now I have at least 8 SHs fully decked out with the utilities which I paid for with CCs.

So after the merge my 8 bought GTNs will become 2? That is annoying.

Even worse as I understand it if I want to some day buy the Manaan SH and put a GTN there I would need to buy 7 more GTNs before I can actually place one. Madness!

Likewise I have done Ops on three of those servers (Not POT5 for obvious reasons) and so if I earned a statue of SOA on each server - 3 total after the merger I will have 1 statue of SOA? That is annoying.

Did some grinding to get Life Day decos on each server. Lets say I earnt 100 trees on JC, 50 on Shadowlands, 30 on EH and 4 on POT5. Now my new total is 100? That is annoying.

I am not rage quitting.

I am not unsubbing.

I still love the game.

But what would it cost them to just let us add these totals rather than take the highest? It is just a number on a database. Does it really take more server space to record that a Lifeday tree is on a hook rather than just chair, chair, chair? It seems like a poor decision that is stingy and mean spirited for no benefit to BW at all and could be easily reversed.

Heaven knows they could do with creating some good will right now.

Edited by revjasonlee

That's what I mean, you didn't pay anything extra for the deco unlocks that were copied to another server (= the unlocks were not paid for).

(Unless you count the cost of paying for a server transfer...)

But what everyone is discussing here has nothing to do with the decorations you aquired from transferring around... they are speaking to the decorations that you got separately on that server, but that will be completely lost when the legacy from each server is combined if it isn't the highest one.

If you got unique decos (by purchasing, winning rolls in operations, getting lucky with packs on more than one server, etc.) you WILL lose decos from either one legacy or the other (whichever gets overwritten on the NEW server, because now they aren't copied, they are merged and whichever one is highest is the one they keep, the other is completely thrown out).

Edited by PennyAnn

(Unless you count the cost of paying for a server transfer...)

But what everyone is discussing here has nothing to do with the decorations you aquired from transferring around... they are speaking to the decorations that you got separately on that server, but that will be completely lost when the legacy from each server is combined if it isn't the highest one.

If you got unique decos (by purchasing, winning rolls in operations, getting lucky with packs on more than one server, etc.) you WILL lose decos from either one legacy or the other (whichever gets overwritten on the NEW server, because now they aren't copied, they are merged and whichever one is highest is the one they keep, the other is completely thrown out).

Yes, I know, I understand the reasoning. But as I said before, from your character's perspective and your game experience, you don't lose anything, because if you had 50 metals chairs on each of 16 servers you never had 800 chairs at your disposal at once.

If there was an easy solution, I think we'd get it. The only way to retain status quo is to retain status quo, i.e. not merge at all.

Adding up all decorations regardless of how they were obtained would be mercilessly exploited (just like some already exploit the character slot issue, but they can't consolidate characters like they can decos). It may also be a bit of an issue to extend the max amount from 999 to 9999

Separate measures depending on how deco unlocks were obtained might be theoretically feasible but most likely a practical nightmare.

Since you never had more than 50 chairs available on any one server, your experience is not diminished. You still have what you paid for on every one of your characters.

You also got what you paid for while you had characters on different servers. In that regard it's a bit like the expansions that were made free-for-subs later on. You paid not just for a thing, but for its availability/usability/functionality at a certain time and over a period of time. The server merge doesn't change that you were able to use it for that period of time.

Yes, I know, I understand the reasoning. But as I said before, from your character's perspective and your game experience, you don't lose anything, because if you had 50 metals chairs on each of 16 servers you never had 800 chairs at your disposal at once.

If there was an easy solution, I think we'd get it. The only way to retain status quo is to retain status quo, i.e. not merge at all.

Adding up all decorations regardless of how they were obtained would be mercilessly exploited (just like some already exploit the character slot issue, but they can't consolidate characters like they can decos). It may also be a bit of an issue to extend the max amount from 999 to 9999

Separate measures depending on how deco unlocks were obtained might be theoretically feasible but most likely a practical nightmare.

Since you never had more than 50 chairs available on any one server, your experience is not diminished. You still have what you paid for on every one of your characters.

You also got what you paid for while you had characters on different servers. In that regard it's a bit like the expansions that were made free-for-subs later on. You paid not just for a thing, but for its availability/usability/functionality at a certain time and over a period of time. The server merge doesn't change that you were able to use it for that period of time.

Right. And by the practicalities of what a merge means, you will lose what you paid for during that period of time. I still have the expansions I paid for and have access to them, but I won't have the decos anymore. Your example just makes my point.

I agree that there isn't likely an easy solution, but they probably did not consider this when they were planning merges. That's the point of this thread.

Edited to add: Actually, you're wrong about me not having access to that many decos at once, I just had access to them on different servers. I will still have them after the merge also... until I pick one up and it vanishes.

Edited by PennyAnn

Edited to add: Actually, you're wrong about me not having access to that many decos at once, I just had access to them on different servers. I will still have them after the merge also... until I pick one up and it vanishes.

Rephrasing:

You never had access to them at once on one server to use for decoration of a single stronghold or several on the same server. This part of the experience will remain the same.

I know and understand people are unhappy about it, but I also don't see it as that big a deal in practicality. I have paid coins and credits for strongholds and decos on different servers, too, I got good use out of them over the years. That fun/convenience was worth the costs and if the servers are gone I won't have need for it anymore. They will be consolidated in the merge and I still have at least the same level of features on the new server - no decrease in features for any character, and for some characters even an increase (some poor sods never had access to jukeboxes, for example, and now will have access to all of them, and no, I'm not mad that I won't have two of each jukebox).

It's the price we pay for the merger, yes, but this is a game and we pay credits and coins for fluffing up the in-game experience. Once this game shuts down (it will eventually, some day, just like everything else dies eventually) everything will be gone, too. There are no tangible, material values obtained through credits or coins, just items to affect the game experience, and the experience will remain the same on the new server with regard to how many decorations are available to use in one stronghold.

I don't think I should run into the quantity issue - I only have strongholds on one server, and not too many of them. But I have spent some time taking screen shots of my list of unlocked decorations, as well as every character's list of pets and mounts, because unfortunately I do worry that things could vanish in the merge.

Let's be honest: How many of us who play on multiple servers actually did get the same rare/expensive decoration several times instead of copying them over to their other legacies? I know most of my recent server transfers have been mainly for that purpose, and this thread almost makes me feel guilty about taking advantage of that nice side effect of server transfers.

Since the number of players who kept their legacies separate and rather obtained decorations several times should be pretty small, it may be worth a try to open a ticket. An accommodating way of handling this issue would be that CS grants you at least copies of the rare and expensive decorations when you never transfered a character to either of the servers. I'd make screenshots of your decoration-window just in case...

If you did transfer characters AND also obtained the same decoration several times, or if you're really just nitpicking about chairs, then I fear you're out of luck. Spend the remaining week decorating your strongholds and keep the decorations where they are, because CS can't possibly verify everyone's claim about lost decorations that were earned "legitimately" and just adding up all decoration counts would lead to an outcry of those who didn't "abuse" the system.

Edited by Mubrak

something that will be equally as harsh is when you have to level 50 legacies: 1 has a tone of decorations because it was EH and you like to decorate. But on Shadowlands, you just played and had very minimal decorations at all, but had all the datacrons unlocked and a ton other items unlocked for that legacy. If i am understanding this correctly, then some algorithm will be employed that will randomly choose which legacy gets billing and which doesnt.

actually, they clarified this somewhere else, either in the Roadmap thread or on the stream last week.

On Ebon Hawk you have a level 50 legacy, Skywalker, with a bunch of achievements unlocked, and for the party jawa one, killed 70 out of 100, and have the start planet datacrons unlocked.

On Shadowlands, you have a level 50 legacy, Organa, with a bunch of achievements done, for the party jawa one, only 3 out of 100 killed, and have all of the datacrons unlocked.

After the merge, as far as achievements and datacrons go for example, it will be like a character transfer took place, so you will have the highest unlocks done for achievements, and all datacrons unlocked. Its not going to be additive for achievements, so you will not have 73 out 100 jawas killed, just 70 because it was higher.

Regarding the random part, it will be with the name, so the merged legacy will be called either Skywalker or Organa.

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like this thread totally missed its mark. :o

No one could have ever expected what was going to happen.

Man I seriously wish I had unlocked Tatooine, Yavin and Manaan with cartel coins, and have multiples of them everywhere. Now I only have them on my home server, and will need to start a guild and pay 10 times their price if I want one on a non-French server...

(Given that I plan to keep the multiple Coruscants, Kaas's and Nar Shaddaas! :p)

Edited by BenduKundalini