I don't wanna be a Hot Pocket :0

Bobbydacool

Look at the bright side. A brand new troll joins the game ready to spew forth mountains of racist insults and filthy sexual talk. Which server do you think they will choose? Consider this a public service.

My guess is that they would join Star Forge so they can be a big fish in a little pond relatively speaking.

hot prospect.... everytime my mc gets a new "prospect" he has to do some **** work no one else wants to do: clean the clubhouse, go and get new beer ( late in the night ) or some food for the officers.

welcome to your new swtor life as prospect - but not a normal prospect. a HOT prospect.

Worst most of mine can be called is maybe Star Fox. So yeah... for once I feel a little sympathy for Harb. Will probably transfer mine off Harb before merge. I'd much rather be called a 90's Nintendo 64 game, than a lava filled doughboy. :D Edited by Malphicious

Why do you care about the server name? I mean, it's not as if it had any impact at all on anything... Unless you play on many servers you never even see the name.

Pretty sure the majority does play on many if not all they can. Plus I doubt many really "Care". It's just funny is all.

Yeah, if they've already named them, added them to the existing network and are migrating assets to them, then you're up a creek without a paddle.

White knight spotted...clearly you're moving to one of the cool named servers :(

Just kidding of course...this is kinda why I think it's "too late" at this point as well...the "back-end" stuff has likely been happening for months already and they're probably far too deep to change the name now...way to go Musco...:mad:

White knight spotted...clearly you're moving to one of the cool named servers :(

Just kidding of course...this is kinda why I think it's "too late" at this point as well...the "back-end" stuff has likely been happening for months already and they're probably far too deep to change the name now...way to go Musco...:mad:

Haha! Star Forge here I come!

That makes no sense. They are months out from doing it and it’s just a name change.

It's happening in 34 days. That's not months away. Second, the name of a server isn't just some label that shows up in-game. It's the physical, coded-in name of the server. To change the server name now, they'd have to go through the code and find literally every reference to that server and change it to whatever you want it to be instead. Because if they missed even ONE thing, your entire game breaks.

Every time your game contacts SWTOR's server-side, it uses the server name. Every ability use, every movement, ever mouse click. Every time you try to sell something, move something in your inventory, buy something, type in chat. Every time you try to craft something, run a crew skill mission, or access the GTN. Every time you enter a phase, start a dialogue/cutscene, or try to group up. Everything.

If they miss even the single most innocuous, oblique mention of the server name, the one time your client needs to use that to contact it but finds "Hot Prospect" instead of "MUUUU SERVUH NAME SHOULD BE CHANGED" your client will crash. Whatever you were trying to do will break, likely permanently until Bioware fixes it, and the character you were on will likely be unable to be logged into until its fixed. And if you were messing with some kind of personal asset, such as a currency or an item, it will disappear because it will be sent to a location that doesn't exist. And there won't be a record of it because there was no destination to a) record the reception or b) send a confirmation back.

So maybe, just maybe, stop crying over a ridiculous server name?

Edited by Diviciacus

Hot Prospect was a "gem" of a ship(server), when it was actually a gem miner. As a result Slyssk choose to buy the Calipsan mining ship, which looked equally ugly both inside and outside.

Heh, see you found the same source...I thought the name rang a bell but I couldn't remember. I can see why, it's a bit "out there".

SNIP...

Every time your game contacts SWTOR's server-side, it uses the server name.SNIP...

Then I would suggest they do a thorough search while they change it.

I know thats not happening but please don't pretend it's harder than it actually is. If they can kill off 3 servers and get them adjusted to what is possibility one of the stupidest server names ever, then they could change it.

They simply choose not to.

Edited by Quraswren

Then I would suggest they do a thorough search while they change it.

I know thats not happening but please don't pretend it's harder than it actually is. If they can kill off 3 servers and get them adjusted to what is possibility one of the stupidest server names ever, then they could change it.

They simply choose not to.

its possible, but hardly worth the effort. Also the effort is not trivial and has risk. If I was them, I would not do it.

That makes no sense. They are months out from doing it and it’s just a name change.

Hey, I never claimed it made sense, I was just repeating what Eric said on the Twitch. It seemed like a relatively easy thing to change to me too.

But it seems that they've had a change of heart and are calling it Satele Shan now...which is better. :)

Edited by Lunafox

Satele Shan is an excellent server name. I like that it went from "technically impossible to change a string" to "totes changing it" in the span of one day.

Probably had an engineer watch the stream and go the Keith/Eric and say 'you know, all we need to do is change a value in an xml file..."

Or maybe they had to resort to find and replace.