Does This Mean A Return To Multiple Storylines?

Ylliarus

I think that if we went back to faction stories like we had on Makeb that would be a very welcome improvement. Maybe add some different dialogues for force and tech users and we might be on to something here.

Not sure if it will happen, but it would truly be a big improvement.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that if we went back to faction stories like we had on Makeb that would be a very welcome improvement. Maybe add some different dialogues for force and tech users and we might be on to something here.

Not sure if it will happen, but it would truly be a big improvement.

It would need some solid writing though, with the backtracking as to why we leave the Alliance behind or it is disbanded/destroyed. I'd really hope for someone like Drew Karpyshyn to be aiding the story team with that narrative as not only was he the one who wrote the first novel introducing us to the world and lore of SWTOR but also because he's a great Star Wars writer.

But yes, I personally would greatly applaud handling the story like they had in Makeb, one Republic narrative and one Empire. Both are different and unique with different endings. Acknowledging the various Force Users and Non-Force Users is a very important thing though as KotFE and KotET almost completely failed to do that which was a huge pity and loss plotwise. Also, more class story flavouring would be a must too as that was very much too lacking in the latest two expansions.

It would need some solid writing though, with the backtracking as to why we leave the Alliance behind or it is disbanded/destroyed. I'd really hope for someone like Drew Karpyshyn to be aiding the story team with that narrative as not only was he the one who wrote the first novel introducing us to the world and lore of SWTOR but also because he's a great Star Wars writer.

But yes, I personally would greatly applaud handling the story like they had in Makeb, one Republic narrative and one Empire. Both are different and unique with different endings. Acknowledging the various Force Users and Non-Force Users is a very important thing though as KotFE and KotET almost completely failed to do that which was a huge pity and loss plotwise. Also, more class story flavouring would be a must too as that was very much too lacking in the latest two expansions.

It would rock if we actually had expansions like Makeb ... an expansion that released with a full-on explorable world complete with unbolstered leveling flashpoints (pre-Kuat 2.6 tacticals) and a full Op out the gate ... followed after 6 months by a sizeable Oricon-level planet patch ... separate yet intertwined Rep & Empire story lines that isn't a solo-only RPG ... no PvE level syncing ... real loot tables (including farmable appearance customs) throughout the entire game ... combat configurable companions ... basically an entire expansion that by default stays level-appropriate to its expansion's levels and is playable with a friend in its entirety.

Ya ... imho Makeb absolutely rocked until everything got level sync'd and bolstered. Then it (like vanilla) just became another joke in the new one size fits all monologue.

Edited by GalacticKegger

I would like SoR story lines, seems reasonable enough rather than full fledged class stories. :)

A SoR approach would definitely be great as well, with faction and class based variation/flavour throughout the narrative. I would be more than happy if I an returned to my original faction that way, I could see three main flavours surrounding it, an Alliance, Empire and Republic one. That would be more than enough for me.

A SoR approach would definitely be great as well, with faction and class based variation/flavour throughout the narrative. I would be more than happy if I an returned to my original faction that way, I could see three main flavours surrounding it, an Alliance, Empire and Republic one. That would be more than enough for me.
Being able to play through story (and quest giver dialogues) together for the entirety of vanilla and Makeb is a large reason why my wife and I grew close to the game. SoR began the preclusion of group play through story. But at least with SoR we were able to meet up after the solo-only dialogues and play through most of the expansion's story together. KotFE's solo-only story game play (not just the dialogues like SoR but the expansion's entire 5 levels of story line) killed that for us. KotET did the same thing. Friends who want to level through story chapters together in the last 2 expansions ... can't. Edited by GalacticKegger

Yeah agreed, though I don't care for the alliance myself, I guess I don't particularly care if it stays for those who do. As long as it isn't going to be detrimental for Imp Vs Rep as it would be the "third" faction. Honestly I'd rather not.:rak_03:

What I would like to know is how Theron Shan, a non-force user manages to stab the Emperor/ Alliance Commander in the back without them knowing.... Plus, he and Lana were inseparable, and she didn't suspect? I'm, sure he mentioned that he turned sometimes after the Royal Family of Zakuul was defeated.. so, its not like eh planned to betray them all along. So, how he managed to high is intent from force users.... hope they flesh that out.

What I would like to know is how Theron Shan, a non-force user manages to stab the Emperor/ Alliance Commander in the back without them knowing.... Plus, he and Lana were inseparable, and she didn't suspect? I'm, sure he mentioned that he turned sometimes after the Royal Family of Zakuul was defeated.. so, its not like eh planned to betray them all along. So, how he managed to high is intent from force users.... hope they flesh that out.

Lana and Theron have been working together for years, I don't see why she should suspect him. That aside nobody is perfect and mistakes will be made.:rak_03: Maybe you'll be able to fire Lana for her incompetence.:rak_06:

Edited by Eshvara

Lana and Theron have been working together for years, I don't see why she should suspect him. That aside nobody is perfect and mistakes will be made.:rak_03: Maybe you'll be able to fire Lana for her incompetence.:rak_06:

Force users can sense these things, and Theron doesn't have the ability to hide from the force. So....

I don't think it'd be that hard to write even. After the war was won, a bunch of people in your forces already went back to the Republic and Sith Empire respectively. The Uprisings are basically fights that are going on around the universe where people are unhappy with your rule. The current story with Theron Shan is another example of an organization that seeks to undermine your rule.

The "Eternal Alliance" has been under pressure since day 1 basically. It's very fragile and can fall apart at any moment. The Eternal Fleet isn't nearly as big as it was. Koth is still off with your cool ship. So you lack the military power to invade and you have all kinds of forces already working against you. It's just a very shaky position we're in and definitely not a solid reign.

That's the thing about winning a war...once it's over people go back to their petty squabbles and daily concerns. They now blame you for all their misfortunes cause you're in charge. People died, lots of structural damage, economies disrupted, food shortages, etc.

All the elements are there for the Eternal Alliance to fall apart. They just have to use them and make it happen. It actually would make sense from my view since my characters generally were not interested in this position to begin with.

I suspect though that BW is probable planning some silly deus ex machina event to make it happen instead of using what's there already. We'll see.

I know Jaesa could sense things, to my memory that was seen as something special and dangerous.

This.

Not all force users can sense things like that. At least not at subtle levels.

Theron has implants and is a professional spy so Lana might not be able to pick up on any deception.

This.

Not all force users can sense things like that. At least not at subtle levels.

Theron has implants and is a professional spy so Lana might not be able to pick up on any deception.

Well Lana's missed a lot more than that. I also tend to question her ability already on Yavin when talking to Marr about her at the end. At the same time though Theron does come from a family of force users and even aside from implants, it's entirely possible that he might have some ability to shield his mind even if he isn't a jedi.

Well Lana's missed a lot more than that. I also tend to question her ability already on Yavin when talking to Marr about her at the end. At the same time though Theron does come from a family of force users and even aside from implants, it's entirely possible that he might have some ability to shield his mind even if he isn't a jedi.

There's not much indication that she's all that strong in the force. Aside from that she might just not be all that intuitive, regardless. She seems more angry Sith than a wise Sith.

OP, it's not people, failing at reading, it's you failing at proper headlines. If you meant faction's stories, you should have added the word "faction" to the name of the thread, instead of just "multiple storylines"

Anyway, it doesn't matter, 2 unique stories. 3 or 8... because we are not getting any, period. The absolute best we can hope for is return to SOR storytelling mixed with Iokath approach (the exact same situation on both sides, just different NPC)

As what Boyd told you, it means absolutely nothing, just more PR, like that open letter.

OP, it's not people, failing at reading, it's you failing at proper headlines. If you meant faction's stories, you should have added the word "faction" to the name of the thread, instead of just "multiple storylines"

Anyway, it doesn't matter, 2 unique stories. 3 or 8... because we are not getting any, period. The absolute best we can hope for is return to SOR storytelling mixed with Iokath approach (the exact same situation on both sides, just different NPC)

As what Boyd told you, it means absolutely nothing, just more PR, like that open letter.

So, a two-way story, Republic and Empire, or a three-way of Alliance, Republic and Empire is not multiple stories? If that isn't the meaning of "multiple" then I don't know what is. No need to feel assaulted by my good intention to clarify my OP ;)

But a SoR approach would be sufficient enough for me. All I care about is that we get the choice to return to our original factions and whether they will actually do 3 seperate stories or 1 story with 3 faction flavouring + class story flavouring, I'd enjoy both. I just want to return to my original factions.

Nope.

Would you consider... Definitely.

It's been considered, that doesn't mean it's happening.

I do not believe they have the resources for multiple stories.

^^THIS

Sure, they'd consider it...Charles would probably love to write 20 story options, allowing him the freedom to make sure everything was done well...doesn't mean it'll happen.

Sadly I suspect there is more chance the game is going into maintenance mode than there is of decent story lines let alone multiple story lines.

So far its looking like 5.5 is going to be the nerf patch, with one operation boss that I'd wager few people are going to experience. But it doesn't end there 5.6 will likely bring the first round of utility nerfs followed by 5.7 finishing the nerfing. At this point classes will have been nerfed where basic content is a challenge and the game is ready for maintenance mode where end game ops and the like is gated behind impossible dps/hps checks. Creating the illusion that there is some end game worth working for.

However as has been said, have multiple storylines been discussed, definitely. Just as I am sure maintenance mode has been discussed, how bad the story has definitely been discussed and even how incredibly small the tor team is with only the janitor seeming to do any work, tidying up after the endless meetings.

Sadly I suspect there is more chance the game is going into maintenance mode than there is of decent story lines let alone multiple story lines.

So far its looking like 5.5 is going to be the nerf patch, with one operation boss that I'd wager few people are going to experience. But it doesn't end there 5.6 will likely bring the first round of utility nerfs followed by 5.7 finishing the nerfing. At this point classes will have been nerfed where basic content is a challenge and the game is ready for maintenance mode where end game ops and the like is gated behind impossible dps/hps checks. Creating the illusion that there is some end game worth working for.

However as has been said, have multiple storylines been discussed, definitely. Just as I am sure maintenance mode has been discussed, how bad the story has definitely been discussed and even how incredibly small the tor team is with only the janitor seeming to do any work, tidying up after the endless meetings.

The game is not going into maintenance mode... where do you even get that notion from? The game is not doing well but it isn't remotely close to being put in to maintenance mode. The upcoming Roadmap will definitely be proof of it and I am 100% convinced we are going to see a new expansion late winter or early spring 2018 with it being announced at New York comic con next week

Edited by Ylliarus