Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Class Story Flirting.

EnderSaber

Yes Lana starts in SOR but the long term doesn't start to later, from what I have been told.

Kinda. If you are Imperial the door is pretty much left open for interpretation at the end of Ziost. You get some different lines from her in KOTFE if you romanced her in SOR, making it clear she still had a thing for you while you were away. But it is not locked in as a LI until chapter 9.

To the OP's point, I was also disappointed there were no same gender flirts or relationships in vanilla. And while Lana is perfect for my characters and I adore her, it would be nice if there were more than one bi or lesbian LI possibility. Women in general, straight or not, get sold short in vanilla IMHO. Like comparing male vs female SI...the male SI's flirting from the moment he is out of the slave pen and landing on Korriban but the female SI has far fewer flirts with random NPCs.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a problem with the class story flirting system. Everytime i make a female character, for the ENTIRE class story, it forces my female character to be straight. I like to make my female characters lesbian. So it frustrates me when in the Inquisitor story, my character is FORCED to kiss a male sith. This pissed me off and i want it fixed now.

Yeah, I'm sure this is a high priority to them...:rolleyes:

Already been said a dozen times already, but yeah, flirting is an optional dialogue choice. You aren't forced to take it.

And there's no female flirting in the base game because, by my understanding, back when it was released it was something of a different world. I mean, consider that the US Supreme court ruled only two years ago that Gay Marriage was legal in all fifty states of the USA. SWTOR was released 3-4 years prior.

I actually think that Bio deserves some credit for putting same-sex flirting options as early as their very first expansion. And I can guarantee that the vanilla version not being given similar treatment probably comes from the hassle of getting the original voice actors back together (there are some issues getting some of them back for future content last I checked), paying them the time to put in new dialogue options, probably taking old ones out, probably rewriting characters in order to accommodate it in some circumstances, etc.

They recently touched up the very first cutscenes for the class introductions, so there's some hope that they might go back to it (maybe if the current story gets put on pause or something), and maybe tweak what they can realistically. But overall, what's there is there for now and the foreseeable future.

TLDR? Putting in same-sex flirtation and romance options in the base game isn't really as easy as flipping a switch, so probably have to settle for the options that got put in the expansions.

Yah back when the game was first released, certain countries would have forced a higher rating on it if same sex romances had been allowed and others would have banned it. On the whole the world has moved forwards, things some places didnt allow back thenhave changed for the better!

Edited by Suzsi

I read the OP and was left thinking "You're a sith. Are you really you kill, maim, and torture for entertainment. Are you really above flirting or leading on anyone, male or female, to get what you want?" More than a few performers in the real world will play a different orientation as part of their act. I would think that a typical dark sided sith would be even more likely to say or do anything to get what they want.

I read the OP and was left thinking "You're a sith. Are you really you kill, maim, and torture for entertainment. Are you really above flirting or leading on anyone, male or female, to get what you want?" More than a few performers in the real world will play a different orientation as part of their act. I would think that a typical dark sided sith would be even more likely to say or do anything to get what they want.

I don't agree. Each character is still their own, not all Sith behave the same way or do the same things.

I don't think people like Palpatine or Darth Vader would flirt with all the women! But I think Kylo Ren could.:rak_03:

Also I don't see Sith like Marr or Jadus doing it either, they're so above that.

Same goes for Malgus.

Edited by Eshvara

The lack of same sex romance options was brought up repeatedly and vocally during beta testing by a large percentage of the beta testing population. BW chose not to do that for a variety of reasons (either never known or long forgotten by me now) and it's unlikely they'll recode the game to accommodate the "classic companions" at this point. Going forward, however, there's absolutely no reason for new romance companion characters to not be romancable by either gender of player character.

In the mean time, if SG or OG pixel romance bothers you, don't flirt with the inappropriate gender in dialogue options.

What I never understood was by the time SWTOR was released Bioware had already released several games with same-sex romance options. Some of those included nudity etc. in their sex scenes. The fact they balked on the same with SWTOR is odd imo. Especially when you look at the agent/Kaliyo dynamic. Even as a female agent I swear there's a hint of flirtatiousness there between the two, which makes me wonder if something was cut and left on the floor. It makes me think that the no-same-sex thing came from the Lucas company rather than Bioware.

What I never understood was by the time SWTOR was released Bioware had already released several games with same-sex romance options. Some of those included nudity etc. in their sex scenes. The fact they balked on the same with SWTOR is odd imo. Especially when you look at the agent/Kaliyo dynamic. Even as a female agent I swear there's a hint of flirtatiousness there between the two, which makes me wonder if something was cut and left on the floor. It makes me think that the no-same-sex thing came from the Lucas company rather than Bioware.

Those games you are talking about had M15+ ratings already. SWTOR and KOTOR both without same sex romances had PG13. Reason being -- countries like Japan wouldnt allow a PG13 rating with a same sex romance and other countries like China would have banned the game entirely. Times have changed a lot over the past 10 years believe it or not but from a sales standpoint they could cut off potentially millions of $$ or conform to those countries requirements at the time.

Edited by Suzsi

I don't agree. Each character is still their own, not all Sith behave the same way or do the same things.

I don't think people like Palpatine or Darth Vader would flirt with all the women! But I think Kylo Ren could.:rak_03:

Also I don't see Sith like Marr or Jadus doing it either, they're so above that.

Same goes for Malgus.

I'm not entirely sure Palpitine or Vader would flirt regardless of the gender of the target. As for Mar or Malgus.. does anyone live long enough to flirt with them :-p But I will concede the generalization. Perhaps "Sith inclined to flirt in the first place..." might be a better opening line on my part.

I'm not entirely sure Palpitine or Vader would flirt regardless of the gender of the target. As for Mar or Malgus.. does anyone live long enough to flirt with them :-p But I will concede the generalization. Perhaps "Sith inclined to flirt in the first place..." might be a better opening line on my part.

It's more like with the personalities they have, it seems out of character for them. They have very distinct personalities, making them seduce for their gains just doesn't sound like something they'd do.

Edited by Eshvara

Agent/Kaliyo: flirt with her in the bar at the end of Chapter X on any female character that isn't an agent (possibly also female agents, but I haven't tried that) and she's quite clear that anything she does with women is just head games.

"I'm getting too old for head games, and that's all I'm good for with women."

And yes, it may well have come from the Lucasfilm/Lucasarts side rather than from BioWare. (Also: Star Wars in general is immensely popular among a wide range of ages, including under-15s.(1) Why deliberately cut off a market segment if you don't have to?)

(1) I was 11 in 1977. Wild horses couldn't have kept me away from that cinema. Fortunately my dad was willing to take me.

Just to be clear--I wasn't suggesting the game should have had nudity etc. like Bioware's other offerings. I was simply comparing the same-sex options. As for Asian countries banning it--that makes little sense to me considering the type of material that is prevalent in those countries.

Just to be clear--I wasn't suggesting the game should have had nudity etc. like Bioware's other offerings. I was simply comparing the same-sex options. As for Asian countries banning it--that makes little sense to me considering the type of material that is prevalent in those countries.

Material that is very strictly X rated content and only been more privilant online in the past years -- after swtors release from those countries. We all know they have that stuff online and had it online, they also have hackers and others, doesn't mean its being done legally. Those countries back when swtor was first released where very strict on same sex material, games had already been banned for it. Even Australia to an extent was strict on game content-- some states still are -- australia states most of them have banned any 18+ rated games the only difference between us and those other countries is that we don't consider same sex non explicit material to be adult rated, unlike the aforementioned countries which at the time did.

Edited by Suzsi

Exactly, some characters just aren't into you based on who THEY are. Just because you want to flirt with character "X" doesn't mean she is open to flirting with females.

Exactly.

Since it'd be a pain in the *** for them to rewrite dialogue, etc, for the Vanilla game, I just see the original companions as being straight, or it Kaliyo's case, sort of bisexual. I think I tried to flirt with her on a female character during KOTFE and she told me something like men are for pleasure and women were business or a hassle or something, I don't remember the word for word reply she gave me.

My male sith pureblood operative, is gay, but I had him sleep around for business purposes or job purposes in vanilla. During Makeb, he flirted and kissed Cytharat and during Forged Alliances until Umbara he flirted with and began a relationship with Theron.

I've encountered many gay/lesbian/bisexual companions/npcs in SWTOR since Makeb. I see Lana, Theron and Koth as bisexual since they swing either way. You're a male? They like you. You're a female? They like you.

Just don't take flirt options with companions or npcs that don't fit you or your character's sexuality or persuasion or whatever you want to call it.

But you're NOT going to get same sex relationships with the original 40 companions. That's way too much extra worth and effort for Bioware to do right now. A few years from now, who knows, but now? Those companions may as well be straight as arrows, whether you find old files in the game of them being able to swing both ways.

Just don't flirt, or wait til Makeb and flirt with whatever sex the game allows you to.

Same goes for Malgus.

It's bad enough Jadus had sex to have a daughter, I don't want to picture Marr bonking some girl/guy either. It's just weird! Only cause they're 'ebil' or in Marr's case functionally 'ebil'.

Gah, need brain bleach! lol

It's more like with the personalities they have, it seems out of character for them. They have very distinct personalities, making them seduce for their gains just doesn't sound like something they'd do.

Besides, Vader had Padme, who died in childbirth. He may a Lord of the Sith and dark side, but I think he's still mourning his wife who he never stopped loving, so I doubt he'd even bother flirting or sleeping with anyone else, whether it was in character or not.

Besides, Vader had Padme, who died in childbirth. He may a Lord of the Sith and dark side, but I think he's still mourning his wife who he never stopped loving, so I doubt he'd even bother flirting or sleeping with anyone else, whether it was in character or not.

And Palpatine only flirted with easily influenced young men.

JOKING JOKING

Edited by AKHadeed

It's bad enough Jadus had sex to have a daughter, I don't want to picture Marr bonking some girl/guy either. It's just weird! Only cause they're 'ebil' or in Marr's case functionally 'ebil'.

Gah, need brain bleach! lol

If I think of for example the Agent story line and how you as an Agent can have sex with Bas ton's son or Dheeno(?) on Hutta. Place Marr or Jadus or Malgus in that position. Would anyone really think they'd pick the option to bonk Dheeno or Marry Bas ton's son just to get whatever they needed. It's like a good plot for bad fan fiction for those characters.

Probably!

Edited by Eshvara

In the expanded universe comics...the ones that are canon now...he spends a lot of time thinking about her and even talks to her to get him through the pain of his medical procedures. So I think that is true. He went Dark Side because he thought it could save Padme, after all.

Never fails to astonish me how the same people who are so very wild about love interests can turn around and tell other people outside of the straight norm "too bad so sad" when they have a problem with getting nothing but table scraps.

One size does not fit all when it comes to what someone prefers, or prefers for their character. If a Sith Warrior doesn't like Vette, there's also two versions of Jaesa. If they don't care for either, they can play a Bounty Hunter and there's Mako. If an Agent doesn't like Vector they can play an Inquisitor and there's Andronikos. If they aren't into Torian they can go play a Warrior and get Quinn instead.

There are but two long term homosexual romances in this game, and only one of each sex. If you don't like them, there are no alternatives. See the difference here?

When it comes to gameplay mechanics, I don't think we should ever focus primarily on "realistic". It sucks a lot of fun out of the game- would it be fun if your character had to stop and catch their breath every couple minutes while sprinting? Would it be fun for shuttle rides to take real-time hours? Would it be fun if mobs could still attack and knock you off of a speeder when using a predetermined travel point? No, it would not, and neither is disallowing people to enjoy their story their way just to preserve the notion that a character is "straight". People write fanfiction wherein their characters hook up with companions of the same sex. Does that bother you too?

For that matter, the characters are fictional. Why are we giving them importance over real people in the first place? The player's enjoyment takes priority. And to deny others the right to play their story how they see fit smacks of stinginess to me.

Never fails to astonish me how the same people who are so very wild about love interests can turn around and tell other people outside of the straight norm "too bad so sad" when they have a problem with getting nothing but table scraps.

One size does not fit all when it comes to what someone prefers, or prefers for their character. If a Sith Warrior doesn't like Vette, there's also two versions of Jaesa. If they don't care for either, they can play a Bounty Hunter and there's Mako. If an Agent doesn't like Vector they can play an Inquisitor and there's Andronikos. If they aren't into Torian they can go play a Warrior and get Quinn instead.

There are but two long term homosexual romances in this game, and only one of each sex. If you don't like them, there are no alternatives. See the difference here?

When it comes to gameplay mechanics, I don't think we should ever focus primarily on "realistic". It sucks a lot of fun out of the game- would it be fun if your character had to stop and catch their breath every couple minutes while sprinting? Would it be fun for shuttle rides to take real-time hours? Would it be fun if mobs could still attack and knock you off of a speeder when using a predetermined travel point? No, it would not, and neither is disallowing people to enjoy their story their way just to preserve the notion that a character is "straight". People write fanfiction wherein their characters hook up with companions of the same sex. Does that bother you too?

For that matter, the characters are fictional. Why are we giving them importance over real people in the first place? The player's enjoyment takes priority. And to deny others the right to play their story how they see fit smacks of stinginess to me.

What I see is quite a few people saying that realistically speaking the company is probably not going to go back and redo vanilla companions. It would take a lot of time, effort, and resources they don't have to make every character available for either sex - whether you think it's fair or not. I don't think most people here would give two hoots if the companions had started out as bisexual but as they are currently straight and given the lack of resources BioWare has, the company's efforts are likely best put to other issues.

Edited by Elessara

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.