Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Game Update 5.4a

EricMusco

I'm certain it's been mentioned before, but here goes:

• Don't patch the live servers without sufficient testing. If this means bringing up the PTS, then do it.
  • If you do decide to patch the live servers without sufficient testing, could you maybe have a copy of the live server prior to breaking patch (5.4) ready to play on while fixing the issues?
  • I feel like Eric needs a drink. Can we get a drink fund started for him? :p

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No but it sickens me a bit, the guy tries to show us goodwill and gives us free stuff, I repeat, he gives us free stuf... and you people all react negatively on it? I'm sorry to say but it does sound a tad spoiled... were you expecting a hypercrate for everyone?

We waiting for play 10 hours and need wait more 3. Did you think after that all have good mood? No, all tired.

Alright folks, I have some updates for you.

Initial testing of the fix is looking very promising. The strange issues that you saw (such as missing components on the interface) are not present and everything appears to be working as it should once again. This is not a guarantee as we haven't checked everything, but it is a great start.

With that in mind, we have begun the process of taking the fixed patch and moving it to the live servers. This process will take around 2 hours. Then, we need to verify that everything remained stable and is still working as intended.

Assuming everything goes well, we are hopeful that the servers will be live again in around 3 hours from now. I will pass on updated information as soon as I have it. Thank you everyone for your patience today.

-eric

This is funny. I had a 1/2 day from work. Come home to play the game. And now when it is up and running I have to be in bed for work in morning. Man talk about being kicked about. Can't help but laugh. LOL

*snort*

Yeah. Talk about a cluster-you-know-what. On the plus side, maybe in future they will remember this and not worry overmuch if we are getting "too much xp"? I can sure understand fixing exploits (like the one they were using to haul friends into TheRoomBehindTheDoor but getting too much XP...eh...

That'd be nice.

If you need to find the more "polite" expressions, I can recommend "Hey Shipwreck" on youtube. It's Navy humor, but you might enjoy the bit about the "swearing ceasation" program (parody of the current alcohol/tobacco program). Things like "whiny girl dog" instead of the more traditional single word, "maternal copulator" instead of MF, you get the idea. Plenty of good, "clean" ways of expressing rude terms. :D

Initial testing of the fix is looking very promising. The strange issues that you saw (such as missing components on the interface) are not present and everything appears to be working as it should once again. This is not a guarantee as we haven't checked everything, but it is a great start.

With that in mind, we have begun the process of taking the fixed patch and moving it to the live servers. This process will take around 2 hours. Then, we need to verify that everything remained stable and is still working as intended.

Assuming everything goes well, we are hopeful that the servers will be live again in around 3 hours from now. I will pass on updated information as soon as I have it. Thank you everyone for your patience today.

-eric

Not really good enough thanks for the update but this has screwed the eu player base and everyone saying take time on twitter etc are all na players so don't affect them as much I thank you for the update but this reminds me why I unsubbed re subbed today to restart playing see whats new but this aint a great start hope you get this up and run again very soon and compensate players for this

I'm one of those insufferable 'been-around-since-beta" people though I come and I go. I haven't made a forum post in actual years. I'd just like to say I get it. This sort of thing happens. Thank you for working to get it fixed. But I'd like to echo that extending the XP/CXP event would be a really good way to resolve all of this. Almost all of my joy in SWTOR these days is derived from Alt-Making and Alt-Leveling. If there's a way to do that I know that I will be happy .

Thanks.

Also more than strange:

I have already advertised several times friends for an ABO,

but it was already said for the third time:

Well, ..., once again, bad luck,

again no reward, this time probably due to sth wrong with an e-mail! Who knows ... :(

Main Thing => you have got profit from the subscriptions, once again,

Where I once again go out empty,

and that does not interest you at all.

Thank you, folks, that's really generous!

If you need to find the more "polite" expressions, I can recommend "Hey Shipwreck" on youtube. It's Navy humor, but you might enjoy the bit about the "swearing ceasation" program (parody of the current alcohol/tobacco program). Things like "whiny girl dog" instead of the more traditional single word, "maternal copulator" instead of MF, you get the idea. Plenty of good, "clean" ways of expressing rude terms. :D

I'll go find that right now, thanks. Germans don't seem to be anywhere near as offended with swearing. I still tend to mind my mouth around my elders though. That got drummed into me.

• Don't patch the live servers without sufficient testing. If this means bringing up the PTS, then do it.
  • If you do decide to patch the live servers without sufficient testing, could you maybe have a copy of the live server prior to breaking patch (5.4) ready to play on while fixing the issues?

For the first point, I'd assume it's either a time or resource issue that that isn't being done. Might be the PTS is in some indetermiate patch level state, if it hasn't been used for a while.

For the second point, I'd say that would mean a rollback, which people would like even less, and a spare set of servers around to deploy that image on, which is probably not really cost-efficient for something that should be fixed in a matter of hours rather than days.

I'm not going to comment on the last one

-eric

Eric, it is 12:52 AM for me by now. Working in 7 hours, so whole evening complete wasted. Not your fault but how many patches are needed to fix the patch that fixed the patch that was supposed to fix the patch?

So which side of the US is going to be more peeved, East or West coast?

Having spent time in New Yoik I can tell they aren't going to be a happy bunch.

That said I have known Canadians to really lose their poop at times too.

Hey, wait now, you are talking about time zones from GMT+4 to GMT+7 which is 4 time zones, but Earth actually has 24 time zones. Is that not kind of a very narrow view you think?

Hey pssst, Eric! Can you maybe pass along the team that making the Bright Yellow Eyes appearance option be available for Twi'lek and other species too would be an excellent compensation for European prime time gone? :D:D:D

and training dummies which we can place for our strongholds.

Eric needs a medal, not just a drink. Poor guy is just trying to explain and push out updates as much as possible, but people blame him for everything anyways. I am also fairly certain when he gave away those codes he thought it was going to be a fun little thing that the community here in this thread would enjoy and joke around. Little did he know how toxic are the people circulating these places.. :D Good job Eric, thanks for the updates, appreciate it. And to anyone again who gets angry over this, I really do not care, it has been a long day for the BWA team and Eric and I have said my piece. Have a good night's sleep folks.

What I find highly amusing about people is how quickly we turn into the backseat driver. :jawa_biggrin: Suddenly everyone became very experienced when it comes to intricacies of patching games and dealing with errors... but the thing is: still, not the driver. xD

We waiting for play 10 hours and need wait more 3. Did you think after that all have good mood? No, all tired.

I've been waiting the same amount as you, it's night here so I will be going to bed soon and I won't have played. Yet, I manage to stay polite and kind, so if I can, then why can't you?

Bioware, just give us Bright Yellow Eyes available for all species and I will be happy :D

Hey, wait now, you are talking about time zones from GMT+4 to GMT+7 which is 4 time zones, but Earth actually has 24 time zones. Is that not kind of a very narrow view you think?

I'm merely thinking of this forum (English), by the time the Aussies want to start playing it'll likely be back up and they have enough problems as it is playing an online game, god bless them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.