How old is our character?

Zhedzaban

When we start the game i always assumed our character was a 20ish year old padawan/apprentice/recruit. My feeling is that the game has been going 6 years now and if we add to that the 5 years in stasis then our character is now in their early 30s.

Does that sound about right? Has anyone worked out an exact timeframe for our characters? Rightly or wrongly, I always assumed all the classes are the same age.

Early 30's sounds about right. I know there was info on our companions ages. I believe Quinn is 37 when we meet him and apparently never ages. I find it interesting that they aged Satele though. Is she the only one they did that with?

I think the age of our character goes in line with the love interest too. Corso is pretty young, so is Ashara (I think she is 20), and Nadia is young, as well as Torian. Vette and Jaesa also are young. The only companions that look older to me was Andronikas and Ilresso. However, I think our main characters were supposed to be between 18 and 24 when chapter 1 starts. At least that is my opinion.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Early 30's sounds about right. I know there was info on our companions ages. I believe Quinn is 37 when we meet him and apparently never ages. I find it interesting that they aged Satele though. Is she the only one they did that with?

I think the age of our character goes in line with the love interest too. Corso is pretty young, so is Ashara (I think she is 20), and Nadia is young, as well as Torian. Vette and Jaesa also are young. The only companions that look older to me was Andronikas and Ilresso. However, I think our main characters were supposed to be between 18 and 24 when chapter 1 starts. At least that is my opinion.

Re: Kaliyo's age. While she is obviously the sort to keep that kind of detail to herself, the Codex entry for the Agent when you first get her as a companion says that she is 29, if memory serves.

I think people would be upset if they changed toons. But a customisation options with some changed could work. But only for the canon faces I'd say, or it'll be a lot of work.:rak_03:

Andronikos is 35 at the start of the main campaign.

The one that surprised me is Talos. He's apparently only in his mid 20's at the start of the main story and I always assumed he was in his 50's.

It might be my complete imagination, but Theron's model from in FE and beyond appears to have a bit of lighter hair at the temples (compared to his SoR model). It would make sense. He's in his mid-30's at that point and I could picture him getting a bit of salt n' pepper there.

Edited by Dracofish

I've always had it where my girls (cause those are my main toons) began really young. I see it as even if they have some knowledge or training, level 1 was an 'I don't know anything I just know a little and I know how to breath and walk at the same time'

So, in Vanilla level 1 my girls are:

Sith Warrior is 17, when she meets Quinn she's 18.

Sith Inquisitor is 17, when she meets Andronikos she's 18/19.

Jedi Knight is 17, when she meets Doc she's 18/19.

Jedi Consular is 17, she meets Tharan at 17/18.

Smuggler is 18, she's 18 when she meets Corso (she's also my Sith War's daughter and Quinn is her father, which is why she knows how to pilot a ship at such a young age.)

Bounty Hunter is 17/18, she's about 18/19 when she meets Torian (I have this thing for older men, even if it's only a few months older) (These two are my consular's parents)

Agent is 21. She's about 22 when she meets Vector (these two are also my Jedi Knights parents)

Trooper is 18/19 when she meets Jorgan. I know she's been through the academy and some special training, but I see her as entering the military at just hitting 17 and by the time she's done, she's close to 19.

So, about let's say right AT Crisis of Umbara, my girls have aged about 12ish years from Vanilla Level 1 newb, to Umbara.

So, even though the carbonite kept them from physically aging, their birthdays still came and went so, my girls are now, approximately:

Sith War 29

Sith Inq 29

Jedi Knight 29

Jedi Consular 29

Smuggler 30

Agent 33

Trooper 30

BH 29

The above after 12ish years, plus 12 years added on to their husbands.

Quinn is now 49

Andronikos 47

Torian 30/31

Jorgan 42

Corso 34

Vector 37

Doc 42

Iresso 40something

(And cause my Consular has a kid with him via legacy tree)Tharan C 41

Theron is what 40/42 now and same with Lana if she and Theron are around the same age. (Not sure what Theron's age is when we're in Vanilla level 1 time frame.)

I don't consider my characters as "aged" when they're locked in carbonite, whereas everybody else would have aged 5 years. Unless my assumption is incorrect and they do still age.

I think it's the same as suspended animation, you don't really age. You might age a little but it's really slow because everything your body is doing has been slowed down by the carbonite. So, let's say you're in carbonite 10 years, you may only look like you aged a year or something.

I always see most of my characters as fairly young at the start (18-20). The only exception is the Trooper. As far as I know (and if someone actually has experience, feel free to correct me) Special Forces squads are not easy to get in to. They don't take recruits fresh out of the Academy, let alone make them the leaders of said group. So I usually think of the Trooper as being around 25 or so to start, assuming they entered the Academy at 18.

Theron is what 40/42 now and same with Lana if she and Theron are around the same age. (Not sure what Theron's age is when we're in Vanilla level 1 time frame.)

Only charles said same age, which would place both in early-30's now (Theron's approx canon age). Fans worked out 40's for Lana based on codex information that does not fit for her to be in her 30's.

Edited by Asmodesu

Only charles said same age, which would place both in early-30's now (Theron's approx canon age). Fans worked out 40's for Lana based on codex information that does not fit for her to be in her 30's.

"During the Treaty of Coruscant" covers all the time between the end of the war and when it starts up again, not just literally while they were signing it. Which means it could be back then, or three seconds before the end of Chapter 2 for the Sith Warrior, and everything in between. "The fans" always seem to conveniently get that when trying to call out this particular blunder by Boyd.

"During the Treaty of Coruscant" covers all the time between the end of the war and when it starts up again, not just literally while they were signing it. Which means it could be back then, or three seconds before the end of Chapter 2 for the Sith Warrior, and everything in between. "The fans" always seem to conveniently get that when trying to call out this particular blunder by Boyd.

Actually, the period after the Treaty is signed is referred to as the Cold War, and the dates often use ATC and BTC to reflect that the treaty signing is a finite point/year.

https://torcommunity.com/guides/game-basics/timeline

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

That does not address what I said. When someone says, "During a treaty," they mean for however long that treat is active. The Cold War takes place during the Treaty of Coruscant. All of TOR up until the end of the Sith Warrior's chapter 2 is because that is when the Galactic War officially starts again. Using that time period to gauge Lana's age range is foolish unless you consider it literally just after the Treaty was signed, which nothing given her looks, personality, or mannerisms suggests about a woman pushing 50. Is it possible? Sure. Is it likely? Not really.

It's more than likely that Theron and Lana are around the same age, and the Player/Outlander/Alliance Commander is either a few years younger or also around that age given the way these three interact with each other. People decades apart don't usually behave the same way, and they would certainly bring up the age difference. They do so with everyone else.

That does not address what I said. When someone says, "During a treaty," they mean for however long that treat is active. The Cold War takes place during the Treaty of Coruscant. All of TOR up until the end of the Sith Warrior's chapter 2 is because that is when the Galactic War officially starts again. Using that time period to gauge Lana's age range is foolish unless you consider it literally just after the Treaty was signed, which nothing given her looks, personality, or mannerisms suggests about a woman pushing 50. Is it possible? Sure. Is it likely? Not really.

It's more than likely that Theron and Lana are around the same age, and the Player/Outlander/Alliance Commander is either a few years younger or also around that age given the way these three interact with each other. People decades apart don't usually behave the same way, and they would certainly bring up the age difference. They do so with everyone else.

It does address what you said. You seem to think that "during the Treaty of Coruscant" refers to any time between the signing and the start of the Galactic War. That is incorrect. It's been clearly shown via the timeline that is incorrect. The Cold War is the period from the signing to the Galactic War. It is not referred to any other way at any point in the Codex or elsewhere. Saying something happens during the Treaty - as it does in the Codex involving Lana - clearly indicates a finite point. A treaty is an agreement that ends a conflict at a set point; it's not an era. The same way we don't say "during the Treaty of Versailles" to refer to the Weinmar Republic. If it happened during the Cold War, the Codex would have said so.

Not to mention that her actions - demanding an immediate ceasefire and no further aggression from either side, to the point where she was willing to hurt the Imperial officer to ensure it - is far more plausible at the time the treaty was signed, than during the Cold War when both factions sniped at each other pretty openly.

What is a woman in her mid-40s supposed to act or look like? Lana's behavior, appearance and mannerisms are very much congruent with someone who is not 20 something. Age becomes just a number in SWTOR anyway - Darth Marr was in his mid-60s, and I doubt anyone would have guessed that from his face or physicality.

And actually, most people end up working with colleagues of varying ages in their careers, and meeting friends of all ages once they're out of college, and it becomes a non-issue. You're all there to do a job. I don't know of anyone who would sit around commenting on it if a friend or colleague were 8 or 10 years their senior. It's not unusual at all.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

Theron has been assigned an actual birth year, so it is easy to calculate his age. So have most of the original companions.

And age isn't brought up with Andronikos or Quinn, and they can easily be pushing 20 years over the main character.

It might be my complete imagination, but Theron's model from in FE and beyond appears to have a bit of lighter hair at the temples (compared to his SoR model). It would make sense. He's in his mid-30's at that point and I could picture him getting a bit of salt n' pepper there.

OMG, I thought it was just me! Yes! He does look a little bit grey at the temples.

As for aging, I imagine my agent being around 21-22 when she got her Hutta assignment. Gotta remember that Imperials probably start military training at a fairly young age, like mid-late teens as opposed to late teens-early twenties. Not to mention they go to the military academy and such. So I imagine their specialized training would have started around 19-20ish. I base this off the fact that Vector Hyllus has a pretty detailed service record based off his conversations in both his story as well as Agent cut scenes, but he's only 26 when we meet him on Alderaan. So having the agent be a couple years younger than him, seeing as they're just starting out, seems feasible.

I am also in the camp that our characters don't age when frozen in carbonite. So my agent, while chronologically around 31-32ish, is still about 26-27ish biologically.

I am also in the camp that our characters don't age when frozen in carbonite. So my agent, while chronologically around 31-32ish, is still about 26-27ish biologically.

Well, they can't age frozen in carbonite, or it would make Nok Drayen look like a moron. He froze himself for ten years to stop the disease ravaging his body in hopes of a cure. Didn't work, but if you still aged in carbonite, it really wouldn't have.

First - we need to define the exact defintition of a year? What planet we observe, and align years by it? Or maybe it's galactic year, which millions times longer.

Second - what's inertial frame of reference character was placed primarily? If planet A moves relatively to planet B at 1/2 of lightspeed, then time passed to A inhabitants - actually one who was on planet B aged by 13,4% slower.

Third - different races and subraces have different metabolisms, so they might grow and age twice as faster or slower than anothers and even bigger difference. Not to mention of technology differences...

That l would understand from mah viewpoint.

First - we need to define the exact defintition of a year? What planet we observe, and align years by it? Or maybe it's galactic year, which millions times longer.

Second - what's inertial frame of reference character was placed primarily? If planet A moves relatively to planet B at 1/2 of lightspeed, then time passed to A inhabitants - actually one who was on planet B aged by 13,4% slower.

Third - different races and subraces have different metabolisms, so they might grow and age twice as faster or slower than anothers and even bigger difference. Not to mention of technology differences...

That l would understand from mah viewpoint.

Hey bruh, you overloaded my nerd scanner.:(

It took at least 74 rotations of Tatooine's suns to make that......I have no idea how long that is btw.

Interesting thread :)

For my SW main I have a rather complex head canon for her that I won't go into detail but she was 35 when she first set foot on Korriban at Tremel's behest though she doesn't look her age so people keep calling her young one :D which makes her 42 by the time she took a five year nap in carbonite.

Theron has been assigned an actual birth year, so it is easy to calculate his age. So have most of the original companions.

And age isn't brought up with Andronikos or Quinn, and they can easily be pushing 20 years over the main character.

I know, but that's not what I'm arguing.

Quinn is a servant. He'll always be subservient and respectful regardless of your age. Theron and Lana don't have that problem.

And Andronikos is around 35 at the start of the story, and looks like it. There's no way he's even remotely close to 20 years older than the player. Any of the player characters.

But as I said, I'm not saying it isn't up for debate, that would be the people trying to call the actual lead writer wrong.

Edited by DudeinFlames

Quinn is a servant. He'll always be subservient and respectful regardless of your age. Theron and Lana don't have that problem.

And Andronikos is around 35 at the start of the story, and looks like it. There's no way he's even remotely close to 20 years older than the player. Any of the player characters.

But as I said, I'm not saying it isn't up for debate, that would be the people trying to call the actual lead writer wrong.

If you have an Inquisitor who is in their early 20's at the start of the main campaign, and you figure there is no aging while in carbonite, you could end up with a Nik that is nearly 20 years older by the time he shows his piratey mug again (keeping in mind that he'd be 48 when Iokath takes place).

Personally, my Nox was 22 when she met Nik (when he was 35).

Edited by Dracofish

The actual lead writer wrote the codex entries that said Lana was working on Hoth 21 years ago, which are actually canon. The comment on Twitter was off-the-record and casual. I would trust the former over the latter.

IMHO they don't mention her exact birth year, even though they drop those clues, for the same reason they don't specify it for Lord Zash or Senya, and for the same reason a lot of the romanceable female companions are very young: too many stereotypes and too much negativity toward women over, say, 35. Nobody cares if Darth Marr or Malgus are in their 60s, and some will still consider them attractive, but if they were to officially say Lana was, let's say, 45, there would likely be a lot of OH NOES SHE'S OOOLLLLLLDD or LOL COUGAR!! comments and people dropping them as LIs.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

well 3 out my 4 are Chiss -- and according to what I read -- the average life span for them is 80 yrs .. so .....

my BH is my JK's mom --- she had her when she was 14 ( not an unheard of thing in humans either) ---

that makes my JK 20ish; and my BH 34ish ... yes they are fairly young -- but Chiss mature faster than humans ( and remember, Thrawn was approx 17 when he became a commander in the Chiss navy .... so I have read )

The agent is now in the mid 20's -- she left Csilla early too --- 15 or so ....

My only human -- is probably about 30 now ... or early 30s