Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW

Renifizzle

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just hit 31 BH last night. When the Slicing Nerf went live, I had 50k Credits. Right now, I have 550k credits to my name. This all came from slicing, while simultaneously leveling my Underworld Trading, and funding my friend to level her Scavenging and both our production skills. Neither of us have used the GTN, but I'm sitting on enough items that I'm sure I could turn and sell them for a nice profit beyond what I have.

It's still possible to make money with Slicing, but I'm realising something concern:

The amount of money I would make at level 50 would be around 60-75k/hour. Now speeder training alone is 210k at 40, so that means I'd have to spend 3-4 hours slicing in order to get my speeder training (Assuming I manage to use up my money.) That's fine with me, but what really concerns me is the costs beyond that.

People make it sound like skills will be 20k each (One time expense), but repairs costing 20k+ alone is what worries me more. I don't really want to have to farm for hours on end 'just to break even', and the simple fact of the matter is, I think my ability to utilize Slicing is at it's peak right now. This means my level 30 will be making as much when he hits level 50 - aside from random drop sales from not farming, but during the farming the number shall be consistent.

Honestly, it's still possible to make money, but I'm growing anxious wondering how we will handle later level prices. I suppose my best bet is to just keep raking in what money I can before others find my strat and wreck that.

People make it sound like skills will be 20k each (One time expense), but repairs costing 20k+ alone is what worries me more.

You can go to a trainer and select All to see the cost of all skills. Some actually cost 30k. It costs about 400k to get all your inventory. I don't know what it costs to get the third tab of your bank but I bet that's expensive too. Then of course there is riding. And the repair bills are about at 40k and higher according to some 50s... and that's not even top of the line gear.

So it's as someone else said - "Slicing isn't OP, other crew skills are underpowered?" In fact, after having levelled to 32 now, I have to agree. Training costs too much right now - I have 50k credits for a long time as of now, probably from around mid-twenties, when I got my speeder. Then BAM, ALL of my income is spent on training abilities and levelling crew skills. BW should check their numbers, indeed, because game was okay with its prices before 20th level, and after that it suddenly goes up. Right now my treasure hunting gives me lockboxes, which have an item of 600 credits price max, or no item at all (about 400 credits in the case) and I'm spending 400-600 credits only to send a companion on this mission. Seriously, I have LOST money over the course of levelling from 25 to 32, not buying equipment for credits(moddable armor FTW).

So what I meant to say was: Slicing was OP, but now everyone is in equally BAD conditions. Hurting for money never helped a game, especially a MMO.

Edited by Ignimortis

So it's as someone else said - "Slicing isn't OP, other crew skills are underpowered?" In fact, after having levelled to 32 now, I have to agree. Training costs too much right now - I have 50k credits for a long time as of now, probably from around mid-twenties, when I got my speeder. Then BAM, ALL of my income is spent on training abilities and levelling crew skills. BW should check their numbers, indeed, because game was okay with its prices before 20th level, and after that it suddenly goes up. Right now my treasure hunting gives me lockboxes, which have an item of 600 credits price max, or no item at all (about 400 credits in the case) and I'm spending 400-600 credits only to send a companion on this mission. Seriously, I have LOST money over the course of levelling from 25 to 32, not buying equipment for credits(moddable armor FTW).

So what I meant to say was: Slicing was OP, but now everyone is in equally BAD conditions. Hurting for money never helped a game, especially a MMO.

I think you may be right, and it touches on the same thing I was saying earlier: The problem may not be Slicing's nerf, but the need that drove people to take it en masse before.

While slicing may not be able to make a ton of money simply doing missions, as a gathering skill aren't you still able to go out and gather the nodes? If all I did with my bioanalysis was send my crew on missions I would lose money also, but if I gather on top of missions I basically break even. My other option is to rely completely on gathering and it is slower but the profit is higher. Slicing should provide a bit more profit than the other gathering professions because you have little merchandise to sell for profit and still have to purchase everything else for your character, but you should still be required to actually go out and gather to reach the full potential of the profession not simply send your crew out on missions constantly.

I will share the results of slicing via google docs:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...0lSaFJtdDF1bWc

It will be updated as my crew finishes their quests.

Regards,

-Creon

That's pretty depressing. I'm very aggravated by this entire thing. I think I'll be canceling my subscription after the free month is over to wait and see what other drastic changes they make.

The lack of response in this thread and the pvp threads is starting to look very grim

Yep...even if it's a 'we did it on purpose, please chill out' type response. Just something to let us know they acknowledge the community sees it as an issue.

Edit: Don't forget Kira :)http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=108694

Edited by Pansophist

Honestly I think a lot of the problem here may not be the state of Slicing, but the state of expenses.

While some of the arguers here seem to think that slicers opted into slicing so they could get a giant pile of credits, dump them into their ship's cargo bay, and play Scrooge McDuck with them, people were actually taking it for the simple reason that with the current state of the economy, casual players needed it just to get by. Repair costs, training costs, that brutal (at the time) 40k hit at level 25, the costs of running the other crew skill missions, the cost of trying to keep your companion's gear up or watch them become a liability instead of an asset...right now the "cost of living" is just too high for those who aren't as good at gaming the economy. Slicing was filling out that need, as well as pumping creds into people trying to go the more traditional route...maybe this wasn't the best way to handle that need, but I'd say this nerf should have rolled out with a concurrent nerf to training, repairs, etc.

If the costs of living weren't out of control, we'd see far fewer people feeling like they "needed" pre-nerf Slicing, and would have instead opted for the crew skills that better suited their crafting choices.

Introducing grind just seems antithetical to everything else this game has managed to achieve.

Spot on :)..... this is exactly what I have been thinking.

All I want to know is when do I get the ability to move ALL my slicing points into another skill, free, since they've dramatically changed the skill.

Do you guys over there really pay so little attention during the beta that you missed this before? Why now all of a sudden is this change required?

I've spent time leveling slicing. You've now made it worthless for my use and I want that time back.

Nah, I think it'll be head in the sand time for weeks now.

Taking into account how many posts regarding slicing are on this forum now, the non response policy BW is currently running, is really a punch in the face. Literary thousands of post pro and contra slicing, and not a single dev showing his face.

Nah, I think it'll be head in the sand time for weeks now.

For a lot of us, they only have a couple weeks. It saddens me, but I won't participate in another MMO where communication with the players is so overwhelmingly lacking. It's not worth it :(

As I've always said...all I need is to hear a 'squeek' from the devs/community manager about any of the constantly recurring issues so many players have brought up. Slicing is just another example, not an isolated case.