Discussion Topic: Game Update 5.4 and the Next Roadmap

KeithKanneg

TBH, i'm not a coder, but if we had an 64bit client, an unsigned 64bit integer would be from 0 to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807, right? Problem solved!^^ Ya ya i know, we're probably not getting a 64bit client, but a Jawa might dream... :jawa_frown:

You are, indeed, not a programmer. (I *am*, and I hate that word "coder" with a passion that burns like the fire of a whole galaxy's worth of suns.)

It makes not one whit of difference whether the client is 32-bit, 64-bit, or even 8-bit. The limit is the same for 64-bit unsigned integers in all cases.

Except that the limit for unsigned integers *ISN'T* 0 to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807. It's 0 to 18,446,744,073,709,551,615.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For credits I can think of quite an technical obstacle: 2^32 (4.3 billion) is the max of a 32 bit integer and some guys already are on that limit on one char and far over it across their legacy. Handling 64 bit integers in 32 bit code is possible of course, but still more or less an error-prone hack, and switching to floats may cause rounding errors and angry posts from players that lost 2 credits when adding another 100 million to their 10 billion legacy account.

Switching to *float* would indeed cause problems. For anyone with more than 16 million and change. Switching to *double* would be essential. (That gives enough space to handle 54-bit integer quantities.)

But changing the credits "data type" to "long long" would suffice to make it 64-bits. The errors would arise from:

* Data types in the databases that store this information. (On the other hand, the database schema would need to be modified anyway to move the credits totals to the legacy, so that's just an exercise in selecting the right changes, and only needs to be done once. I'm also not going to make the error of presuming that it's all SQL, thanks.)

* Data types in "in-memory" storage while a character is loaded. This is straight-forward, and not inherently problematic.

* Formatting for display. This could get ... hilarious. Look at how long it was before anyone even noticed that FlyText couldn't correctly format numbers bigger than 65,535... (Granted, before 12xXP and 4.0+2.5xXP started giving 140K XP per mission and similar, it wasn't possible to have numbers that big in FlyText, but...) Surely you remember being told you got 140K XP and seeing purple FlyText saying "+8,928 XP"...

* Moving numbers of credits around inside the program. Anywhere that credits move, they need to be wrapped in a "distinct"(1) type, let's say "AmountOfCredits" so that they cannot be "missed" anywhere and suddenly lose bazillions of credits.

(1) So that you can't accidentally move a number of credits from a player's legacy into somewhere, then back again, and have a 64=>32=>64 conversion chain going on. Turning on "warnings are errors" when compiling helps a lot.

The key point to take away is that no one part is *hard*, but the totality is significantly harder than the sum of the individual difficulties. And that's probably why Keith didn't say when it will be in the game.

I'd really hope that Keith will come in and show that EA has faith in TOR and he had the budget to do anything more than a delaying tactic where it takes months to add even a single new boss encounter

We can hope, I suspect we already know how this one plays out though.

1 flashpoints means very little at this point. Another strongholds, been some decades since i played dolls,, seriously i have a RL house for that..

Can we get back to proper expansions, 2.0 and 3.0 style.

At this point its just bizarre to realease another stronghold, i mean we just had manaan...

I don't get it either. Housing isn't what keeps me playing, it's where I log in/out only.

Well, your play style ain't the only one. There are people in this game (not me) who are heavy into Strongholds, Outfit Designers, and random other RP stuff. GSF doesn't keep me playing, but it doesn't bother me when Bioware gives them some love.

The more players we have that are satisfied with at least some elements of the game, the bigger the pool we have for the MMO elements. Some of those derided as being here primarily for "Space Barbie" may queue for Warzones or Flashpoints while decorating their Strongholds. Warzones aren't the reason they play the game, but if you take away their Strongholds (or, say, force them to re-buy/decorate them in a transfer/merge), they may leave the game, and that'll be one less person that does occasionally queue for Warzones. Scale that up to the number of players of a similar mindset, and it could be a noticeable detriment to the overall quantity of group activity pops in the game.

TL;DR: people play for different reasons, and shouldn't have their play style affected because a few people have to wait 7 minutes for a warzone pop instead of 5.

Well, your play style ain't the only one. There are people in this game (not me) who are heavy into Strongholds, Outfit Designers, and random other RP stuff. GSF doesn't keep me playing, but it doesn't bother me when Bioware gives them some love.

TL;DR: people play for different reasons, and shouldn't have their play style affected because a few people have to wait 7 minutes for a warzone pop instead of 5.

And you got love with Manaan. I'm fine with more being added, but it sure as hell doesn't keep people playing or bring players back.

And you got love with Manaan. I'm fine with more being added, but it sure as hell doesn't keep people playing or bring players back.

It does keep some playing. You of all people should know that different people play different ways. I love decorating my strongholds, and I change them fairly often, when I see something new.

Like I don't understand the thrill people get for playing pvp, it is the same thing.

We have no idea what will bring people back since each person is different but I did meet a new person this week that loves the strongholds and spends most of their time getting decorations and decorating.

I'd be into stronghold's a lot more, if it didn't cost me an arm and a leg to decorate it.:rak_03:

What I would like is if once we get a decoration we could pay credits to access more of them like we do for guilds but more would be available. It would help I think.

I'm tired of arguing this because those that disagree are not willing to see the truth or they just weren't there, so feel free to disagree wrongly.

I've been here off and on since Day 1.

I have NEVER once done an Op.

The quantity and quality of the Ops isn't even on my radar, never has been, and it is highly unlikely it ever will be.

Why?

Because this game wasn't sold as "Operation led MMORPG".

It WAS sold as a MMORPG with unique and detailed Class and Faction storylines..

There is a coincidence, that Story (good story, not the FE/ET/Iokath rubbish) also started to slip at the same time as Ops were allowed to slip by the wayside.

I contend therefore, that a game that was sold as being led by High Quality Class / Faction Story Arcs started to lose customers when those Story Arcs stopped being delivered.

But please feel free to continue asserting that the game has lost 80% of its playerbase because of the lack of a type of content only ever played by 20% of the playerbase.

I mean that's an intelligent argument right there.... ...not.

All The Best

hey keith i had a suggestion is it at all possible to get a cross fashion companion customize vendor on the fleets seeing how alot of our companions are now cross fashion .rock on my friends

Will see what we can do about it!

Keith---

Wait.... cross fashion or cross faction?

Because you can already wear Naga Sadow's skirt if you want cross fashion. ;)

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

At this point its just bizarre to realease another stronghold, i mean we just had manaan...

And not only that Manaan was a complete fail.

Badly designed, badly resourced in terms of Hook variety and placement, badly implemented, no real sign of joined up thinking at all.

All The Best

Will see what we can do about it!

Keith---

How about fixing the group area loot bug? Where only the first group member to loot gets area loot. Everyone after that has to pick up each individual drop.