Server Merge Discussion Thread

EricMusco

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cherry picking much? Let's look at the WHOLE post shall we:

"a bit comical" - "I don't mean it in a harmful way" "they know YOU fear them".

Seems to me he was light heartedly putting his view on how you and others are coming across who think RP will be ruined by merges. I don't see how that is a personal attack?

You've stated it was a personal attack, then stated you never stated he made personal attacks and now you are seemingly defending the statement again as though it was a personal attack ... do you even know what you are posting anymore?

The irony... this entire exchange began because you cherry picked parts of posts I made and took them completely out of context. I was simply showing you the specific parts to which I was responding, but I'm more than happy to quote entire posts if that's what you feel is needed.

To put things in proper context, you need to look at the post I wrote before the one you just quoted. I explained how one type of harassment was taking place. His post, the one you just quoted, came across to me as though he were making light of some very real concerns expressed by more players than just myself. By turning it into something comical and funny it appeared to me as though he was not taking the concern seriously and it seemed very dismissive and mocking. That's how it came across to me, and that's why I said he was making a personal attack on the RP community as a whole, because as you quoted, he said the "entire RP community." That is also why I am saying he's not making an attack on an individual, and I am using the phrase "personal attack" to describe a type of attack, not saying it's against a specific person, but in this case it's a personal attack on an entire subset of players rather than an individual, hence "making personal attacks" (plural) without making a personal attack on a specific individual player.

The irony... this entire exchange began because you cherry picked parts of posts I made and took them completely out of context. I was simply showing you the specific parts to which I was responding, but I'm more than happy to quote entire posts if that's what you feel is needed.

To put things in proper context, you need to look at the post I wrote before the one you just quoted. I explained how one type of harassment was taking place. His post, the one you just quoted, came across to me as though he were making light of some very real concerns expressed by more players than just myself. By turning it into something comical and funny it appeared to me as though he was not taking the concern seriously and it seemed very dismissive and mocking. That's how it came across to me, and that's why I said he was making a personal attack on the RP community as a whole, because as you quoted, he said the "entire RP community." That is also why I am saying he's not making an attack on an individual, and I am using the phrase "personal attack" to describe a type of attack, not saying it's against a specific person, but in this case it's a personal attack on an entire subset of players rather than an individual, hence "making personal attacks" (plural) without making a personal attack on a specific individual player.

I am very sorry, I'm not trying to be offensive or harmful but it's difficult to not find a comical side to this with the way you are turning an ant into an elephant. Don't get me wrong this is a subject that I consider to be serious, I have been trying to hold a reasonable discussion with people but don't you see how most of the people I talked with started dramatizing and using exaggerations as arguments? I get the concerns, I have been there myself with trolls in RP but that's what I am so desperately trying to convey, that if you don't give them power the trolls will have no fuel for their trolling. And while I agree it's bad behaviour and has no place in this game or anywhere, if you use the mount example as one of harassment they will consider it fuel and do it more. I'm not saying I don't consider it harassment because it is, but the trolls won't they'll most likely laugh at the fact rp'ers make a big deal out of it. That's what I tried to convey, that if you think and look at what you said objectively and without context then the image of people being afraid (the afraid having been an exaggeration not actually me saying the RP community is afraid although it's difficult to name it otherwise, but being afraid is not a bad thing, just saying so how is it an insult) of a guy on a big mount has a comical touch to it and that's what the trolls wanting to spoil RP would see.

Why is it so difficult to understand that all the posts in this thread from the RP community about the trolls is their wet dream if you forgive me the comparison? They absolutely love the fact that this is the effect they're having on you, you have given them power they never dreamt was possible and likely won't be taken away from them easily. I understand the concerns don't get me wrong, but they'll haunt you even more now because not only do they know how strongly it affects you but if server merges don't happen they will blame the RP community. I am not saying you had no right to voice your concerns, but had the RP community handled this differently and more prudently than outright trying to block it, they could have had a better position in a potential server merge. Now people will look down even more on the RP community because they're "that bunch of people blocking progress". Note this is not me saying or thinking that, it's what's being said in the broader SWTOR community. I'm not looking down on the RP community, just to clarify, but it's what others are doing because how the topic of server merges is being handled by the RP community in this thread.

Let me clarify and add to this: I personally understand the example of the guy on a mount ruining RP because I have been there and experienced it myself. However, most of the people on SWTOR don't RP and they'll have trouble understanding how it is an issue if someone stands with their mount in the middle of a group of people. Now I am not saying no non-RP'er won't understand because they're obviously those that do. But most people on SWTOR think that when people say they roleplay they mean thinking up backstory and personality for the classes and picking choices, playing the game's story with a certain canon for that character in mind. I've encountered this time and again in various threads and people really have difficulty understanding that there is an entire RP community who write their own stories and events set in the SWTOR lore and universe outside of the game's story. With this in mind, you have to see how it will seem to them if you say standing in a group of people with your biggest mount is harassment if that's what's happening on OPS and PvE groups already and no one is bothered by it there.

Edited by Ylliarus

You accused him of personal attacks, then stated you never accused him of personal attacks. I directly quoted you stating just that. That is not cherry picking, please stop using terminology you fail to understand the concept of.

To put things in proper context, you need to look at the post I wrote before the one you just quoted. I explained how one type of harassment was taking place. His post, the one you just quoted, came across to me as though he were making light of some very real concerns expressed by more players than just myself. By turning it into something comical and funny it appeared to me as though he was not taking the concern seriously and it seemed very dismissive and mocking.

That's how it came across to me, and that's why I said he was making a personal attack on the RP community as a whole, because as you quoted, he said the "entire RP community." That is also why I am saying he's not making an attack on an individual, and I am using the phrase "personal attack" to describe a type of attack, not saying it's against a specific person, but in this case it's a personal attack on an entire subset of players rather than an individual, hence "making personal attacks" (plural) without making a personal attack on a specific individual player.

Oh right so yo are going to base your entire defense on that you were implying he was making "personal attackS" and not "an personal attack", lol give me a break.

Fact is he wasn't attacking anyone. You just decided to perceive it as such and go off on some tangent around him making non existant strawman arguments.

Fact is he wasn't attacking anyone. You just decided to perceive it as such and go off on some tangent around him making non existant strawman arguments.

Sadly the people opposing the idea of megaservers or server merges have chosen to perceive my posts as such, but what can you do.

But I want to talk about something else. I have taken the time today to go around four servers, the Ebon Hawk, The Harbinger, the Red Eclipse and Progenitor to ask in the genchat about how people would feel about being either merged into a server or having people be merged into their server. I have some screenshots in which I naturally will blur out the names if you're interested in seeing the responses themselves, but the talks I had with people did lead me to the following conclusion:

On the American side RP'ers should indeed have their own server in the form of the Ebon Hawk. I didn't have to ask anything but simply look at the general chat on the fleet to see what's what on the Harbinger. When I asked however it became swiftly evident to me that indeed roleplayers wouldn't be welcome there. My concerns for the RP community or questions were neither... So I concur, megaservers on the American side would be a bad thing for the RP Community.

However, regarding the Progenitor, the European RP server, and the Red Eclipse I have reached an entirely different conclusion. In stark contrast to the Harbinger, the players on the Red Eclipse were very positive about rp'ers and even very welcoming. They said they shouldn't have to worry about trolls as the people on the Red Eclipse stand up for one another especially when it comes to such childish behaviour. They said the RP'ers from the Progenitor wouldn't have to worry much about trolls on the Red Eclipse and some individual players even whispered me they'd love to try out RP if the Progenitor was merged with the Red Eclipse.

So, based on my little research as well as my conclusions I offer the following suggestions to the RP community and those in favour of server merges:

Suggestion 1:

- USA, 1 Westcoast PvE/PvP Server, 1 Eastcoast PvE/PvP Server, 1 Roleplay Server for both East/Westcoasts

- Europe, 1 megaserver in which all the current 9 ones are merged, with a new name

Suggestion 2:

- USA, 1 PvE/PvP "Megaserver" for both East and Westcoasts with a new name, 1 Roleplay Server for both East and Westcoast

- Europe, 1 English PvE/PvP/RP Server, 1 German PvE/PvP/RP Server, 1 French PvE/Pvp/RP Server

Naturally combinations of these two suggestions are possible but I am mainly suggesting this as the path to follow with server merges. How would this sounds to those opposing server merges as well as the RP community? Would this be a satisfactory solution?

Edited by Ylliarus

But I want to talk about something else. I have taken the time today to go around four servers, the Ebon Hawk, The Harbinger, the Red Eclipse and Progenitor to ask in the genchat about how people would feel about being either merged into a server or having people be merged into their server. I have some screenshots in which I naturally will blur out the names if you're interested in seeing the responses themselves, but the talks I had with people did lead me to the following conclusion:

However, regarding the Progenitor, the European RP server, and the Red Eclipse I have reached an entirely different conclusion. In stark contrast to the Harbinger, the players on the Red Eclipse were very positive about rp'ers and even very welcoming. They said they shouldn't have to worry about trolls as the people on the Red Eclipse stand up for one another especially when it comes to such childish behaviour. They said the RP'ers from the Progenitor wouldn't have to worry much about trolls on the Red Eclipse and some individual players even whispered me they'd love to try out RP if the Progenitor was merged with the Red Eclipse.

So, based on my little research as well as my conclusions I offer the following suggestions to the RP community and those in favour of server merges:

Suggestion 1:

- USA, 1 Westcoast PvE/PvP Server, 1 Eastcoast PvE/PvP Server, 1 Roleplay Server for both East/Westcoasts

- Europe, 1 megaserver in which all the current 9 ones are merged, with a new name

Suggestion 2:

- USA, 1 PvE/PvP "Megaserver" for both East and Westcoasts with a new name, 1 Roleplay Server for both East and Westcoast

- Europe, 1 English PvE/PvP/RP Server, 1 German PvE/PvP/RP Server, 1 French PvE/Pvp/RP Server

Amazing that you had this response from players of TRE about roleplay and players standing up for each other. The tools of TRE do this too, believe me. :rolleyes: My experience yesterday as waiting if maybe a Ravagers group would form on rep side was a complete different one. One of the polish guilds tried to recruit players in their native tongue. Right away somebody on the fleet jumped in with "english pls, this is the english server". Of course several players jumped that guy claiming it is ok to speak the native language in recruiting, others jumped on the players side demanding the english language and voila, we had a nice going forth and back. After no pug group for Ravagers I went imperial side, my house on Tatooine. Somebody was spewing his hate about muslims in general chat. Others attacked him for his stance and again he also found supporters, next chat war. My ignore list is just not long enough. :( Maybe I was just unlucky, but this is the way I experience TRE every time in peak time. I shudder to think if people would try to roleplay there. :confused: Get me right, I started at servers who got merged into TRE, it is my main legacy. But I honestly dont recall my server anymore. It is far more toxic then before the first wave of cheap transfers. I would so much believe you, but I cant, Ylliarus. :(

I noticed you left out the response of the Progenitor as I just saw the response of TRE. Was there none or did you conveniently left it away because it would destroy your argument? The guilds of Progenitor I know (emphasis on I) are against a forced merger with TRE and instead built (like I mentioned before in my previous posts about TOFN) connections to the guilds on TOFN. Both communities consider each other as nice enough to allow RP and normal play next to each other. There are even actions going on to let the devs know the preference of this part of the TOR community. I can mostly speak for TOFN, which is conveniently always forgotten when speaking about server mergers. Some people seem to think: TOFN is so small, they should not have a say in that. Due the Guild Alliance we have formed we know each other pretty well and the big mayority of those guilded up players is strictly against a merge with TRE. Many went there with the cheap transfers, hated the community there, went back to TOFN and reformed the guild and founded said Alliance. They practically mirrored what I see on TRE (carefully, you select your guilds and friends based on what you are, psychology, first class). Funnily, the same thing I saw happening on Progenitor. A lot of people I know have already alts on TRE and disliked it, returnt and play on Prog.

So either we both play a complete different TOR, something is off there. Maybe we all should return to the knowledge that the personal experiences only have anecdotical character and are different for everybody. I only stay in guilds with a certain behaviour and playstyle and so do you. None of both sides can hence claim mayority in this matter. Touching points between the different groups are rather small. This is something the devs need to find out, and not we as community.

To state what opinion I am: I am strictly against server mergers when they destroy the bones of the MMORPG, the communities. We dont have enough new blood (content) coming in. We as players who love TOR should be carefull by tempering with the other big reason people play this game. If they merge without keeping the different groups in mind, the server merge will only speed up the demise of the game, both sides in this topic lose. Keep in mind , that it is not the same time as with the first two mergers. The game was young and new players stormed the gates replacing those who left due the mergers and the communities could rebuilt relative fast. Also the argument of "Elder Scrolls also works with megaserver" is shortsighted. Yes, it does... but so it was from start and if you look deeply into the matter you see a lot of disgruntled comments lately as the devs allowed all three factions in one and the same instance (immersion breaking being top dog counter- argument).

But also to state clearly: I see the need of the players wanting to play stuff together (like me yesterday being too late for TOFN Ravagers and unable to find a pug group on Ravagers at the time I still could complete it). The mega server seems for me the second best idea (bring several ops ready players there, leave others on the servers for rest of content/communities and see in which direction the communities go). The best solution (cross- server) was sadly already ruled out. I really hope that Keith and his gang find a solution which does not harm the communities too much. I dont see that in your solutions, I am sorry. But as said anecdotical due my own experiences.

PS: I cant speak for the US communities, not well enough connected into their communities. :(

Amazing that you had this response from players of TRE about roleplay and players standing up for each other. The tools of TRE do this too, believe me. :rolleyes: My experience yesterday as waiting if maybe a Ravagers group would form on rep side was a complete different one. One of the polish guilds tried to recruit players in their native tongue. Right away somebody on the fleet jumped in with "english pls, this is the english server". Of course several players jumped that guy claiming it is ok to speak the native language in recruiting, others jumped on the players side demanding the english language and voila, we had a nice going forth and back. After no pug group for Ravagers I went imperial side, my house on Tatooine. Somebody was spewing his hate about muslims in general chat. Others attacked him for his stance and again he also found supporters, next chat war. My ignore list is just not long enough. :( Maybe I was just unlucky, but this is the way I experience TRE every time in peak time. I shudder to think if people would try to roleplay there. :confused: Get me right, I started at servers who got merged into TRE, it is my main legacy. But I honestly dont recall my server anymore. It is far more toxic then before the first wave of cheap transfers. I would so much believe you, but I cant, Ylliarus. :(

This happened daily on the Progenitor as well, an RP server. Especially the English thing, if even one word in the advert was not English you'd get a chatwar about it. So don't just blame the Red Eclipse for that as that has been going on on every server in Europe. The others things you mentioned, they're happening on every server I have been to so far so it's not something inherent to the Red Eclipse. You should have seen the conversations I saw today on the Harbinger... And the Progenitor was my home server, it was where I had spent almost all of my 5 years on SWTOR but only this year around March I moved to the Red Eclipse. It's weird, because people from the Progenitor always say people from the Red Eclipse are so toxic and bad but, I've been there for several months and haven't seen anything that wasn't also happening on the Progenitor so... yeah, there's that.

I noticed you left out the response of the Progenitor as I just saw the response of TRE. Was there none or did you conveniently left it away because it would destroy your argument? The guilds of Progenitor I know (emphasis on I) are against a forced merger with TRE and instead built (like I mentioned before in my previous posts about TOFN) connections to the guilds on TOFN. Both communities consider each other as nice enough to allow RP and normal play next to each other. There are even actions going on to let the devs know the preference of this part of the TOR community. I can mostly speak for TOFN, which is conveniently always forgotten when speaking about server mergers. Some people seem to think: TOFN is so small, they should not have a say in that. Due the Guild Alliance we have formed we know each other pretty well and the big mayority of those guilded up players is strictly against a merge with TRE. Many went there with the cheap transfers, hated the community there, went back to TOFN and reformed the guild and founded said Alliance. They practically mirrored what I see on TRE (carefully, you select your guilds and friends based on what you are, psychology, first class). Funnily, the same thing I saw happening on Progenitor. A lot of people I know have already alts on TRE and disliked it, returnt and play on Prog.

People didn't seem to bother replying to me there, they preferred to ignore me mostly as they did keenly talk about different subjects but evaded what I had asked. I got a few responses from people saying it would be nice to have more PvE and PvP activity as they were missing that on the Progenitor. There was one person who said they'd gladly be merged with the Red Eclipse because some of their friends already had gone there. Otherwise I don't think people on the Progenitor considered me worthy of their time, but that's nothing new on the Progenitor I'm afraid.

But as said anecdotical due my own experiences.

Well I have the screenshots I made to support my claims. I'll happily continue my surveys daily to get a broad vision of what the various thoughts are on the servers. But you know what? I am afraid it won't matter, because those against server merges will dismiss me anyway simply because I disagree with them. I'll still do it for myself because I like to do research and get to the bottom of things, but I am not holding my breath my conclusions will convince any of the passionate naysayers anyway.

Edited by Ylliarus

Also, I've grown tired of discussing this subject because both the naysayers as well as I and those in favour stubbornly stand with their own arguments. So I'll just sit back, relax and wait for the server merges to happen as it's evident from the posts the Dev team posted in this thread and others that's the route they will follow. The Bioware Influencers are hinting at it time and time again (here is a new video from Sam from SWTOR Central stating it as my source:
) so I'll just wait for the day I'll see old friends from the Progenitor back on a merged server that's either called Red Eclipse or otherwise :) all the best to you all, despite our differences I truly wish every single one of you all the best you can have! Edited by Ylliarus

Sadly the people opposing the idea of megaservers or server merges have chosen to perceive my posts as such, but what can you do.

On the American side RP'ers should indeed have their own server in the form of the Ebon Hawk. I didn't have to ask anything but simply look at the general chat on the fleet to see what's what on the Harbinger. When I asked however it became swiftly evident to me that indeed roleplayers wouldn't be welcome there. My concerns for the RP community or questions were neither... So I concur, megaservers on the American side would be a bad thing for the RP Community.

Suggestion 1:

Suggestion 2:

Naturally combinations of these two suggestions are possible but I am mainly suggesting this as the path to follow with server merges. How would this sounds to those opposing server merges as well as the RP community? Would this be a satisfactory solution?

Now see this is what I was talking about. Let Ebon Hawk be the roleplay server and merge the RP into it as Harbinger is not a good fit for roleplayers. See I am not anti merger, just feel roleplayers on Harbinger is like going to a dentist to get your wisdom teeth pulled out.

Now see this is what I was talking about. Let Ebon Hawk be the roleplay server and merge the RP into it as Harbinger is not a good fit for roleplayers. See I am not anti merger, just feel roleplayers on Harbinger is like going to a dentist to get your wisdom teeth pulled out.

Then I am happy at least the two of us could reach consensus, maybe others will follow :)

However I did just read a comment from Kid Lee another Bioware Influencer who based on what he knows and presumes doesn't bode well for the RP community and server merges...

Edited by Ylliarus

Then I am happy at least the two of us could reach consensus, maybe others will follow :)

Multiple players have said the same thing... I suggested merging Ebon Hawk and Jung Ma, then the rest of the East Coast servers can be together, and all the West Coast can be together. This was way back on page 185.

However I did just read a comment from Kid Lee another Bioware Influencer who based on what he knows and presumes doesn't bode well for the RP community and server merges...

See that is why I am not a fan of the influencers, most of them (if not all) are not roleplayers and they normally don't care about roleplayers. By the way I will read your rp later. Just wasn't up to it yesterday due to getting bad news about a friend.

There are others that have suggested this as well at the beginning.

Edited by casirabit

Also, I've grown tired of discussing this subject because both the naysayers as well as I and those in favour stubbornly stand with their own arguments. So I'll just sit back, relax and wait for the server merges to happen as it's evident from the posts the Dev team posted in this thread and others that's the route they will follow. The Bioware Influencers are hinting at it time and time again (here is a new video from Sam from SWTOR Central stating it as my source:
) so I'll just wait for the day I'll see old friends from the Progenitor back on a merged server that's either called Red Eclipse or otherwise :) all the best to you all, despite our differences I truly wish every single one of you all the best you can have!

Whomever posts last wins the discussion...

/rollseyes

Look at ESO, there are megaservers there and the RP community is thriving there. I rarely hear from my friends who went there that there are issues with trollers or toxic people. If it works there I don't see why it couldn't work in SWTOR. You immediately assume it will be the apocalypse when server merges occur, but you wouldn't even give it a chance to see if it could be made to work.

One big difference with ESO is the ignore function is account wide. Their chat filters and customization is better too.

Because it is futile to talk about compromises because you (the RP community) won't accept anything that doesn't involve a seperate RP server.

Then agree to disagree and move on. Otherwise you're just continuing this pointless circle jerk.

Edited by kodrac

Because it is futile to talk about compromises because you (the RP community) won't accept anything that doesn't involve a seperate RP server.

In every situation where compromises are being made all sides will have some "red lines" that they are not prepared to fall back from.

A separate RP server seems reasonable to me, because I have seen how deliberately toxic, disruptive, and abusive non-RPers can be toward RPers on mixed servers.

I've been playing MMORPGs since just after Cata launched for WoW - and I have at times dabbled in mild RP (usually Guild / Kin events) and non RP players will travel far and wide to deliberately disrupt an RP event that has absolutely no impact on them at all, other than some players may be having fun in a manner they find worthy of ridicule.

If I were a serious RPer, a separate server for RP players would be non-negotiable.

All The Best

Following this line of thought, Bioware Influencers are even more trustworthy and reliable because the information they get is straight from Bioware and the Devs themselves so... can't get more reliable than that.

Not sure if serious...

Suggestion 1:

Suggestion 2:

Or One US PVE/PVP one US RP, one European PVE/PVP server and one European RP server?

The problem with only one RP server and it being in the states is that people from Europe would have to play on a US server to play on a dedicated RP server. I'm not even sure how transferes work between US and Euro servers for that to be feasable with established toons.

Edited by shalea

Or one European PVE/PVP server and one European RP server?

The problem with only one RP server and it being in the states is that people from Europe would have to play on a US server to play on a dedicated RP server. I'm not even sure how transferes work between US and Euro servers for that to be feasable with established toons.

I think you are missing one important fact. That poster plays on TRE, a European server and therefore has a vested interest in doing everything he can to try to ensure that EU has only ONE server and not a PVE/PVP server and an RP server.

Grudgingly "agreeing" to separate RP servers in the US has no real affect on him. Accepting 2 servers in EU WOULD affect him, though. He has already admitted to being afraid that people would choose not be on the "megaserver", even if that meant playing on an RP server.

We do not know how selective he was with his "screenshots" of his "conversations". We do know however, that those screenshots notably do not include any from The Progenitor, an RP server.

We also know that when others pointed out that their experiences on TRE were diametrically opposite what his "screenshots" show (that the community on TRE seems to be very intolerant and trollish), his response was to attack the communities on the RP servers.