Server Merge Discussion Thread

EricMusco

Then you did not read what I said. I said that time and resources should be increased on a report system so that roleplayers will be able to feel safe on a megaserver or merged server. It should be a strict system however, report comes in, immediate ban and subsequently check if the ban was rightfully applied. If it was, then all is good. If it wasn't then compensation can be given to the wrongfully banned player in question.

What resources? The ones they don't even have to give raiders more raids or pvp players better pvp? Sure that is going to happen. You seem to think they have resources but it has been shown that they don't have those type of resources and they are sure not going to use resources they don't have to police RP when they have never done that before.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Server merges: No. Too many issues. Rebuilding guilds, stronghold locks, rp servers, different languages, etc.

Cross server features: Very much yes. For example, the fleets should be cross server; the gtn should be cross server; flashpoints, warzones, operations, etc should be cross server. Making these things cross server will help players on low pop servers and new/returning players. But it will leave the rest of the server features how the players like it.

Having said that, this game is dying. Will cross server features help revive it? I don't know. But I can hope because I really do enjoy this game. But if something is going to be done, it has to be done quickly. Preferably this year. Otherwise, you might as well just shut down all the servers because people are going to continue to peter away and by this time next year even the bigger servers could be ghost towns.

Sorry I have no faith in BW policing anything. They haven't done anything before so thinking they would do something in the future makes me shake my head. I been playing long enough to know they will not do this no matter what they say.

I would very much want Keith replying to this specific comment as it would provide much insight as to how Bioware and specifically the Dev team is thinking about the RP community and server merges and issues that come with it.

So sorry you do not appreciate people making specifics counter-points and disagreeing with you, much less pointing out the fact that you are approaching this with a narrow bias.

If you think otherwise... then you and I have nothing further to discuss.

I am sorry to say it but by stating this you're being a bit of a hypocrite. When I disagree with you I am being that bad person who doesn't want to see the counter points, but you disagreeing with me is completely fine and the right thing? I'm sorry it's not. I see your counter-points, but I do not agree with them. That doesn't mean I am a bad person which I feel you do think about me for not instantly agreeing with you, just saying. So you don't seem to be appreciating my counter-points either because you yourself hold onto a specific bias as well. That is fine, but don't call me out for doing it if you do exactly the same.

What resources? The ones they don't even have to give raiders more raids or pvp players better pvp? Sure that is going to happen. You seem to think they have resources but it has been shown that they don't have those type of resources and they are sure not going to use resources they don't have to police RP when they have never done that before.

I agree with you Casi, it doesn't mean it's the right thing...they should have been policing chat from the start...it's probably driven off as many players as lack of development has. They've let it get out of hand and at this point, they have created monsters who go unimpeded and unpunished.

But...they absolutely SHOULD dedicate resources to it...to have failed to for this long is inexcusable. NOBODY should have to put up with harassment ever!!! :mad:

Server merges: No. Too many issues. Rebuilding guilds, stronghold locks, rp servers, different languages, etc.

Cross server features: Very much yes. For example, the fleets should be cross server; the gtn should be cross server; flashpoints, warzones, operations, etc should be cross server. Making these things cross server will help players on low pop servers and new/returning players. But it will leave the rest of the server features how the players like it.

Having said that, this game is dying. Will cross server features help revive it? I don't know. But I can hope because I really do enjoy this game. But if something is going to be done, it has to be done quickly. Preferably this year. Otherwise, you might as well just shut down all the servers because people are going to continue to peter away and by this time next year even the bigger servers could be ghost towns.

http://badfeelingpodcast.com/audio/podcasts/episode_162_final.mp3

Listen to this and you will hear the reason why no cross servers and what keith wants to do with guilds and personal items.

Again, Keith replying to this should give us more insight as to what the Dev team could mean for the RP community and their place in a megaserver. So I passionately call for someone from the Dev team to come and give us more insight regarding this matter because as far as I can tell this is the core of the problem of why people wouldn't want to move from their servers.

I am sorry to say it but by stating this you're being a bit of a hypocrite. When I disagree with you I am being that bad person who doesn't want to see the counter points, but you disagreeing with me is completely fine and the right thing? I'm sorry it's not. I see your counter-points, but I do not agree with them. That doesn't mean I am a bad person which I feel you do think about me for not instantly agreeing with you, just saying. So you don't seem to be appreciating my counter-points either because you yourself hold onto a specific bias as well. That is fine, but don't call me out for doing it if you do exactly the same.

As I said.. you and I have nothing further to discuss. And this is not the first time in the forum that you have dug in on something and simply disregarded or ignored contrasting viewpoints while accusing them of not reading what you write. :rolleyes:

Personally, I know from Keiths comments on this topic so far that he does not agree with you and is not planning to go in the direction you demand. So there is really no point trying to discuss this, or anything else, with you further. Bye.

Edited by Andryah

As I said.. you and I have nothing further to discuss. And this is not the first time in the forum that you have dug in on something and simply disregarded or ignored contrasting viewpoints while accusing them of not reading what you write. :rolleyes:

Personally, I know from Keiths comments on this topic so far that he does not agree with you and is not planning to go in the direction you demand. So there is really no point trying to discuss this, or anything else, with you further. Bye.

But you do EXACTLY what you claim I do, you are ignoring everything I write, disregard it as inferior and just want to write me off as trash. Sure, we have both the right to disagree with one another but you are calling me out for behaviour you yourself are excelling at. I try to offer reasonable counter-arguments and points, you just try to point out how bad and evil I am for disagreeing with you which you call "ignoring contrasting viewpoints". I'm trying to continue this discussion, you just want to write me off as a horrendous monster.

Also, I don't demand anything, I merely suggest. Good God, you really have a low opinion of me for disagreeing with you, don't you?

Edited by Ylliarus

But everyone is assuming RP will die because of some trollers (come on, it won't RP'ers are more dedicated than that). By fearing them as much as you do at the moment you are giving them the power to influence you. How can you know that RP will die in the case of a megaserver, there is absolutely no way to know that. Why is none of the rp'ers considering the fact that a larger playerbase means more people to RP with? Or are the RP'ers that elitist and want to stick to their own little clubs and allow no one else in? Is it a case of "we're better than them" mentality? Megaservers will be a huge boost to RP, I am convinced of that and I long for the day I will be proven right.

^This x's 3

Three unfounded and repeated assumptions.

1. RP needs a server all to it's own or it will die. Then why does it thrive in ESO's mega server?

2. Harbinger is a cesspool of toxic people. While it has the highest number of people fleet chatting some unhinged kids can easily be right click ignored. Most of the people there now are from other servers and the chat revolves around finding groups or joining guilds.

3. A mega server won't stop population decline. IMO it will stabilize the bleed of players mainly because of people returning on dead servers or starting the game for the first time on a dead server will have access to the largest group of active players.

But you do EXACTLY what you claim I do, you are ignoring everything I write, disregard it as inferior and just want to write me off as trash. Sure, we have both the right to disagree with one another but you are calling me out for behaviour you yourself are excelling at. I try to offer reasonable counter-arguments and points, you just try to point out how bad and evil I am for disagreeing with you which you call "ignoring contrasting viewpoints". I'm trying to continue this discussion, you just want to write me off as a horrendous monster.

Also, I don't demand anything, I merely suggest. Good God, you really have a low opinion of me for disagreeing with you, don't you?

Have you even listened to the podcast and listen to Keith's view on forcing people to move?

http://badfeelingpodcast.com/audio/p..._162_final.mp3

That's exactly what he does. Next reply, I bet he tells you he's going to ignore you. When people can't argue facts, they resort to belittling.

^This x's 3

Three unfounded and repeated assumptions.

1. RP needs a server all to it's own or it will die. Then why does it thrive in ESO's mega server?

2. Harbinger is a cesspool of toxic people. While it has the highest number of people fleet chatting some unhinged kids can easily be right click ignored. Most of the people there now are from other servers and the chat revolves around finding groups or joining guilds.

3. A mega server won't stop population decline. IMO it will stabilize the bleed of players mainly because of people returning on dead servers or starting the game for the first time on a dead server will have access to the largest group of active players.

Thank you for saying this, it is highly appreciated. I completely agree, ESO has a megaserver and RP seems all but dead there. I've recently enjoyed a bit of ESO RP myself and all seemed to be working fine and splendid there.

Have you even listened to the podcast and listen to Keith's view on forcing people to move?

http://badfeelingpodcast.com/audio/p..._162_final.mp3

Oh I did, and I know what Keith said on that subject. However, he also has stated that he is looking at why people don't want to move from their servers and if there is a way to remedy their undesire to move. Please read his following comment:

Thanks for the /slap! Yep, we haven't been communicating anything about our server plans, but I have dropped a number of hints. Even in the interview I did, I said we are considering virtually everything in this thread, plus a ton of other technical details.

I know you all know this, but I'll remind you anyway, if a server merge was the direction, then we need to make sure we understand the reasons why players don't want to move. We have hardware/software, connectivity, and database considerations. We also have a ton of in-game 'things' to consider like Legacy Cargo Hold slots across multiple-servers, decorations and Strongholds, currency caps, merging of Legacies, number of characters on a server, keeping guilds and guild assets intact, and more. You also have Conquests and the domination of large guilds over everyone else, area respawn rates, and so on.

Lastly, as we've done with our East Coast servers, we need to upgrade the environment to ensure it's a great experience for everyone. I am very hopeful I can layout the game plan for you in the upcoming Roadmap. I'm not committing to that, yet, as there are a number of questions I need answered before I can give you any further insight.

Have a great weekend,

Keith---

He has stated the team is considering everything he said in that interview, what is being stated in this thread and more. So maybe he personally is disagreeing with forcing people to move, but perhaps that is not what the rest of the team thinks. Disagreeing with something doesn't mean someone won't do it. Look at Angela Merkel, she disagreed with marriage equality in Germany and voted against, but she did allow the bill to be voted on in the Reichstag.

Edited by Ylliarus

That's exactly what he does. Next reply, I bet he tells you he's going to ignore you. When people can't argue facts, they resort to belittling.

Thank you for supporting me on this front. I find it very difficult to hold a discussion with that specific person as he/she always tries to make me out for someone bad, evil and malevolent when disagreeing with them while I try to simply hold a reasonable discussion.

Edited by Ylliarus

Hahahaha! OK enough fantasy. Let's get back to realistic ideas, please.

And let's also refrain from belittling comments when you disagree with someone. I have experienced the arrogance from rp'ers enough on the Progenitor and don't need it here. We're adults, let's converse and discuss like adults.

Oh I did, and I know what Keith said on that subject. However, he also has stated that he is looking at why people don't want to move from their servers and if there is a way to remedy their undesire to move. Please read his following comment:

He has stated the team is considering everything he said in that interview, what is being stated in this thread and more. So maybe he personally is disagreeing with forcing people to move, but perhaps that is not what the rest of the team thinks. Disagreeing with something doesn't mean someone won't do it. Look at Angela Merkel, she disagreed with marriage equality in Germany and voted against, but she did allow the bill to be voted on in the Reichstag.

You know what I'm tired. Go ahead and just merge that way everyone that wants merger will get what they want but don't expect everyone to stay when they do that. I am going to start looking for another game and there is another SWG I may just go to. My playstyle is not wanted no matter whether I do operations, etc. Since my playstyle is not wanted neither am I. Good luck.

You know what I'm tired. Go ahead and just merge that way everyone that wants merger will get what they want but don't expect everyone to stay when they do that. I am going to start looking for another game and there is another SWG I may just go to. My playstyle is not wanted no matter whether I do operations, etc. Since my playstyle is not wanted neither am I. Good luck.

You again put words into my mouth I never said. Did I ever say I didn't want rp'ers here? No. Did I ever say you're unwanted? No. Truly, sorry for saying this I bear no ill will but such comments are somewhat childish. I'm trying to find a solution for this problem along with you, when will you see tha I am trying to work with you and not against you? You may disagree with me, but that doesn't mean we can't work together on a way to solve this issue that will please all of us.

Edited by Ylliarus

And let's also refrain from belittling comments when you disagree with someone. I have experienced the arrogance from rp'ers enough on the Progenitor and don't need it here. We're adults, let's converse and discuss like adults.

Reasonable requests please. If you've been around long enough you know there are no extra resources, and if there were, it sure wouldn't go in to something they've ignored for 5 years. So back to reality... Megaservers? Sure. Will there be trolls? Yep. Will it kill RP? Nope. But don't think for a second BW will invest in man hours to police the chat in any way shape or form. They'll automate a bot for reports just like they do now. And before you say but, but ESO, ESO does nothing about reports either.

Reasonable requests please. If you've been around long enough you know there are no extra resources, and if there were, it sure wouldn't go in to something they've ignored for 5 years. So back to reality... Megaservers? Sure. Will there be trolls? Yep. Will it kill RP? Nope. But don't think for a second BW will invest in man hours to police the chat in any way shape or form. They'll automate a bot for reports just like they do now. And before you say but, but ESO, ESO does nothing about reports either.

It was a suggestion only, a possible solution to the fear of roleplayers regarding server merges. If it is an unlikely one then fine, we can move on onto discussing another possible solution. But belittling is not necessary nor welcomed. However, it's difficult to try to find a solution with people who act a tad too dramatic regarding this subject.

You again put words into my mouth I never said. Did I ever say I didn't want rp'ers here? No. Did I ever say you're unwanted? No. Truly, sorry for saying this I bear no ill will but such comments are somewhat childish. I'm trying to find a solution for this problem along with you, when will you see tha I am trying to work with you and not against you? You may disagree with me, but that doesn't mean we can't work together on a way to solve this issue that will please all of us.

Who said I was talking about you? I have argued over this since it was first mention and just so tired of arguing. To some individuals in this forum roleplay is nothing for them to consider. They want what they want no matter whether or not everyone wants it or not and if you don't heaven forbid you say anything. So as I said good luck but if they don't consider roleplayers now why should they consider them in the future, they won't.

I have also dealt with people saying roleplayers don't do group activities, we don't do operations, flashpoints or uprising and roleplayers don't do pvp. If someone tells them the opposite they ignore that and go back to saying all roleplayers do is stand on the fleet and do nothing. I would like to know how if that is true, how I got the achievements I have and how I got to command rank 300 if I don't do anything but stand on the fleet.

Edited by casirabit

You're refusing to accept the solution--a separate RP server.

Instead of accepting that solution, you are trying to find a way to get that megaserver that you want, and to heck with the consequences for anyone else. You grudgingly throw out a few crappy "suggestions" that most reasonable people know will never be implemented and wouldn't work if even they were implemented.

Even some of those in favor of server merges recognize that a separate RP instance will not work and that RP'ers need their own server.

Who said I was talking about you? I have argued over this since it was first mention and just so tired of arguing. To some individuals in this forum roleplay is nothing for them to consider. They want what they want no matter whether or not everyone wants it or not and if you don't heaven forbid you say anything. So as I said good luck but if they don't consider roleplayers now why should they consider them in the future, they won't.

I have also dealt with people saying roleplayers don't do group activities, we don't do operations, flashpoints or uprising and roleplayers don't do pvp. If someone tells them the opposite they ignore that and go back to saying all roleplayers do is stand on the fleet and do nothing. I would like to know how if that is true, I got the achievements I have and how I got to command rank 300 if I don't do anything but stand on the fleet.

Bioware will consider us roleplayers as we make up a portion of the subscribers, since almost all rp'ers are subs. We're also the biggest spenders on the Cartel Market, so Bioware will take that under consideration. But if rp'ers will refuse to completely budge and put up ultimatums then the Devs will also start to think what will be most beneficial to do and benefit the most people. If rp'ers will refuse to enter compromises or engage in reasonable discussions, Bioware won't be able to take them under consideration. Instead of fighting against server merges, why not fight for the most beneficial position you can acquire in a potential server merge or megaserver?

Bioware will consider us roleplayers as we make up a portion of the subscribers, since almost all rp'ers are subs. We're also the biggest spenders on the Cartel Market, so Bioware will take that under consideration. But if rp'ers will refuse to completely budge and put up ultimatums then the Devs will also start to think what will be most beneficial to do and benefit the most people. If rp'ers will refuse to enter compromises or engage in reasonable discussions, Bioware won't be able to take them under consideration. Instead of fighting against server merges, why not fight for the most beneficial position you can acquire in a potential server merge or megaserver?

"Compromise"? RP'ers should "compromise"? Why should RP'ers be the only ones to "compromise"? What are you willing to "give up" as a compromise for your coveted "megaserver"? So far, I have not seen one thing you've been willing to "give up" or one "compromise" you've been willing to make. Your posts have pretty consistently been all about getting your coveted "megaserver".

Why are you unwilling to "compromise" even enough to let RP'ers have servers (one East, one West and one EU) on which they can play without having to be overly worried about having to deal with "trolls" and those that want to cause them grief for now good reason.

Edited by Ratajack

There is no reason that there can't be two servers, one for West (so Harbinger can stay there) and one for East (Ebon Hawk) due to a lot of internet problems with East and West Coast areas. That would make the most sense. There is no reason just to have one and especially in light of connection problems we tend to have on the servers as well.