Server Merge Discussion Thread

EricMusco

You are so funny if you think all roleplayers do is stand around and do nothing. If that is the case, then explain how I have one character at Command Rank at 300, another one at 200 and one more at 150 and the others between 50-90 (and I have a total of 14 all level 70), have the achievements for the flashpoints, uprising, etc. Last I checked you don't get CXP points and achievements by standing around.

You sir are very uninformed about roleplayers because most of them are "Active" players and have most of the achievements but the difference is roleplayers normally play with a guild and friends and don't rely on group pickups as much as probably you do.

I really don't care what rp players do. You can have ur own rp server whereas other servers must be merged into one. So we have 2 servers: one for rp, another for other players, so you be happy sitting in cantina drinking alderaanian juice with a small group of other players.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you all know this, but I'll remind you anyway, if a server merge was the direction, then we need to make sure we understand the reasons why players don't want to move. We have hardware/software, connectivity, and database considerations. We also have a ton of in-game 'things' to consider like Legacy Cargo Hold slots across multiple-servers, decorations and Strongholds, currency caps, merging of Legacies, number of characters on a server, keeping guilds and guild assets intact, and more. You also have Conquests and the domination of large guilds over everyone else, area respawn rates, and so on.

Clearly the number of people who don't want to move is significant or they would not even be addressing these issues. You can complain all you want that they should have done this years ago but that doesn't make it happen any faster now.

Right now there are people staying on dead servers complaining about how they can't do any group content solely because they do not want to lose their character names (just read through the previous posts in this thread and you will see them). Guild assets is a legitimate concern but that impacts everyone on the origin server but no one on the destination server so you can see why the people on the lower population servers (the potential origin servers) would be concerned. They would lose all of these things and the people on the destination servers (a lot of them being in the "merge servers now" column) would lose nothing. There are even quite a few people who are in favor of server mergers as long as their server is the destination server so they don't lose their stuff.

Voluntary population redistribution is the only fair way to go about this and that is what Bioware has said they are working on (i.e. making transfers of guild assets and intact guilds work)

Anyone that actually loves the game is not going to quit playing over a Legacy name. I just can't believe anyone that says they actually like the game but quit over that. sorry I just won't. The quality of life of the game has to be the bigger concern rather than just character and legacy names or even guild names. The ones that have had the names the longest should keep them, simple as that. It's fair.

I am also sick of the "just transfer" bs. IT DOESN'T HELP ANYTHING! The most populated server is The Harbinger and the queue times are TERRIBLE on it. So please tell me where is there to transfer to!? There isn't anywhere, period!. I will never care about solo players problems on an MMO. I just won't, go play a single-player game. I don't care if you think I am a ***** for it.

You clearly haven't met enough people than. I love Star Wars but I have attachments to things like that, my SHs and such. Just like you have a strong attachment to your assets, and that's why you won't improve your queue situation. Just because someone values something else instead of what you value doesn't make it wrong. You are not the supreme center of the universe (although based on your forum attitude I fear I might be the first person to tell you that in a long time...). Also, while I agree with you in principle on the names, there are far more complicated matters when it comes to naming than just first come, first serve. That's why I applaud keith for the new megaservers idea; that way things can truly be first come, first serve.

Btw: It's not bs. IT'S A CHOICE. YOU HAVE A CHOICE. Do it. Don't. I really don't care, just don't complain about the fact you have to make a CHOICE. This isn't an important one in your life (hopefully). Bioware shouldn't screw over literally everyone else because you can't come to terms with the fact you have to redecorate or whatever other crap your holding onto.

And just like you don't care about solo player problems (although these really aren't solo player problems- they're just people who choose to preserve what they have and accept the slower queue), I don't care about pretentious people who want to ruin everyone else's time just so they get a queue pop in five mins instead of ten.

Ps. If you're not getting queues on harb, the most populated server, you might be on the wrong end of some ignore lists.... big shock there. :rolleyes:

Edited by MissilyMilcasia

Blame bioware for their servers being DEAD, and address it to them. Not my fault that my friends and a host of players stuck with their guildships on dead servers, and that even on populated servers there are times when you need to wait long for proc just to join a wrz and fight the same people you see every day. This is the consequences of their actions, swtor's population is getting lower and lower with each week

That your concern is PvP queues tickles me to no end. It's a game mode that is so extremely popular in the MMO community that you can't even get a queue pop on a populated server? That's a riot.

It's also not a reason to force me to "make sacrifices" to accommodate a dead, or dying game mode. They could have saved it with Conquest, but then there would have been an actual consequence for losing, and we can't have that in swtor.

Server merge discussion thread

Returning player here, and really don't do a lot on the forums.. But I can say with a definitive no that I am not for it. I've seen what it has done to other games I've played.

Returning player here, and really don't do a lot on the forums.. But I can say with a definitive no that I am not for it. I've seen what it has done to other games I've played.

FYI...they've already done it here TWICE in the past...they need to do it again.

Nope, PvPers need to get together in the PvP forum and decide on a server to move to, and move. It'll be a pleasant change of pace from "FotM is OP and needs nerfed".

You assume balance would be perfect on an all PvP server? Changes are made game wide, not exclusionary to specific servers lol.

FYI...they've already done it here TWICE in the past...they need to do it again.

But those mergers were done before we had strongholds, guild ships & outfit designers. While I do think we need a merge, I don't think it's acceptable to ask the players to sacrifice their time, credits and cc purchases to make that happen. There are a lot of big technical and design hurdles to overcome first and a very small staff to work on them.

But those mergers were done before we had strongholds, guild ships & outfit designers. While I do think we need a merge, I don't think it's acceptable to ask the players to sacrifice their time, credits and cc purchases to make that happen. There are a lot of big technical and design hurdles to overcome first and a very small staff to work on them.

It would be nice if strongholds could transfer intact - outfits not at all. If you've truly unlocked an outfit the correct way, it only takes a few minutes to update your character look. Minimal time should be given to outfits imo.

It would be nice if strongholds could transfer intact - outfits not at all. If you've truly unlocked an outfit the correct way, it only takes a few minutes to update your character look. Minimal time should be given to outfits imo.

I redecorated my strongholds same day I transferred my toons. It wasn't that hard to remember where stuff was, plus I took screenshots beforehand. All the unlocked outfits slots were still unlocked after transfer. I just had to choose new outfits. I've always stored mine in my bank storage so that wasn't hard either - just a few minutes and some credits for the stamp. All in all it was pretty painless. Out of my 10 toons only 3 needed to be renamed. I used alt codes for those so, again, not hard.

That last bit is the problem I have with the whole charade: People don't care how much it inconveniences or costs somebody else, so long as they get what they want. I'm a firm believer in "If you think it's ok for someone else to be inconvenienced, then put yourself through the inconvenience, and leave others alone".

Healthy ques and population far exceeds things like character or legacy names. There will be costs which ever decision you make, and a higher cost of none at all. So.. take action, just ensure it is not sudden.

This is where we disagree. Lots of players refuse to move because they're unwilling to give up their character/legacy names. If I had to change even one character name, or gods forbid my legacy name, that would be my last day in this game, and I queue for a lot of dungeons and BGs. If several hundred like me did the same, it would cost BW a lot of money and only marginally help queue times. They would have to weigh that against the status quo and make the decision that helps the largest number of players.

That's not to say I'm for or against a server merge, but a solution so that people can keep their names is needed to keep such a merge from being very costly.

Edited by Aulus_Claudius

This is where we disagree. Lots of players refuse to move because they're unwilling to give up their character/legacy names. If I had to change even one character name, or gods forbid my legacy name, that would be my last day in this game, and I queue for a lot of dungeons and BGs. If several hundred like me did the same, it would cost BW a lot of money and only marginally help queue times. They would have to weigh that against the status quo and make the decision that helps the largest number of players.

That's not to say I'm for or against a server merge, but a solution so that people can keep their names is needed to keep such a merge from being very costly.

Names aren't that much trouble. Use alt codes for one letter or give them a last name if need be since names can have spaces now. You don't have to display your legacy name.

If you are a solo player then server merges do not effect you.

Yes, it does.

I've been unlucky I guess, I've already had a server merge.

Names.

Legacy Names.

Decorations.

Now, guess which thing come top of importance for Solo players.

Do you want to phone a friend?

All The Best

Yeah the one where MOST of the players said yes to server merges. Some are against server merge but majority as i showed it in my previous messages are wanting server merge.

Is that the one where quite a few of your examples were annotated with (not strictly for server mergers, but they are really).

As in you took leaps of faith with what little data you actually had.

All The Best

In principle I agree, but I want to mention that back when FP specific gear stil dropped reliably, it wasn't unusual to create an outfit then trash the piece, since storage place is limited and the expectation was that you could always grind FPs if you really needed that specific piece again. So, not everything can be replaced.

That last bit is the problem I have with the whole charade: People don't care how much it inconveniences or costs somebody else, so long as they get what they want. I'm a firm believer in "If you think it's ok for someone else to be inconvenienced, then put yourself through the inconvenience, and leave others alone".

I have Bob. I did it almost 2-years ago. It needs to happen again for many servers. Reapplying your outfit isn't an issue I have any concern about. That is not a very good reason not to merge servers...at all.

As I said, you don't play or exist in a vacuum. There are more people than just you to account for.

Unlocked "the correct way?" I try not to do anything with CC that I can do with credits, because I can get ahold of credits a lot easier than I can CC (even as a sub), and have a fair amount of things I want to do that can only be done with credits (such as collections unlock). I've bought possibly 1 outfits slot and 1 personal hold slot with CC, the rest has all been with credits, and those won't transfer.

Just because outfits (and other aesthetics) are unimportant to you doesn't mean they are unimportant to others.

Healthy ques and population far exceeds things like character or legacy names.

For you maybe.

Not for me.

I really, really don't care that you have to wait in a queue.

I do care about my SH, my Names, and my Legacy Name - especially as I have already been through one forced server merge and had to start from scratch.

All The Best

Edited by DarthSpuds

Just because outfits (and other aesthetics) are unimportant to you doesn't mean they are unimportant to others.
Excuse me? I am one of the BEST dressed players you'll find. Outfits are absolutely one of my weaknesses on the freaking Cartel Market...I've bought more than most players have, less than some, but far more than the average player. The gooder I look, the gooder I play. I dress for success Ian!!!

What I meant by that was, anything they have unlocked will transfer - it does now. The players who stamped dyes into slots years ago when there was a bug that allowed you to do that without using up the dye, they'll be screwed because that will not transfer...but it was never unlocked or applied properly.