Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Server Merge Discussion Thread

EricMusco

whats the big deal about losing a name ? I see nothing wrong with it because no matter what name I use it's still me as a player and guild mates know it's me.

It is not just names, it is guild assets, such as guild ships, strongholds, banks, and guilds being kept in tact when transferred, not having to restart guilds and go through the headaches of getting things back.

Personal assets such as strongholds, banks, outfit changer (while you might not use them, I have 16 outfits and the dye for one character uses can cost and no it is not black/black, white/white or black/white but it still costs pretty much and then add 16 slots and having to redo my outfits again, and I know I am not the only one that has that many outfits), Galactic command ranks and tokens, etc.

Edited by casirabit

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not just names, it is guild assets, such as guild ships, strongholds, banks, and guilds being kept in tact when transferred, not having to restart guilds and go through the headaches of getting things back.

Personal assets such as strongholds, banks, outfit changer (while you might not use them, I have 16 outfits and the dye for one character uses can cost and no it is not black/black, white/white or black/white but it still costs pretty much and then add 16 slots and having to redo my outfits again, and I know I am not the only one that has that many outfits), Galactic command ranks and tokens, etc.

Confessed fashion designer too 💕💕

Crap, I hadn't even thought about losing Galactic Command rank and Command tokens through a merge! No way do I want to grind up all those levels of RNG garbage again on over a dozen characters! That's a deal breaker all on its own!

Edited by AscendingSky

Crap, I hadn't even thought about losing Galactic Command rank and Command tokens through a merge! No way do I want to grind up all those levels of RNG garbage again on over a dozen characters! That's a deal breaker all on its own!

Yea I hadn't thought about it either until I realized the command tokens aren't transferred to another server and since our ranks are per character and not legacy wide . I do not want to either though I know I probably not as high as some but on my main my smuggler is close to 200.

Edited by casirabit

I doubt they would let that happen. The back lash from making people grind again would literally shut the game down.

I doubt they would let that happen. The back lash from making people grind again would literally shut the game down.

Command Tokens are also tied to your Legacy on your current server, these will not transfer with your character.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/star-wars/star-wars-the-old-republic/swtor-character-transfers/

And at the moment I have close to 2000 tokens. (Note: I don't pvp so I can't use them on upgrading my set Tier 1 for Tier 2)

Edited by casirabit

Yea I hadn't thought about it either until I realized the command tokens aren't transferred to another server and since our ranks are per character and not legacy wide . I do not want to either either though I know I probably not as high as some but on my main my smuggler is close to 200.

Same here but lots to lose. Main in Tier 4, Two alts in high Tier 3, 5 alts in Tier 2 and 4 more in Tier 1

I hadn't even thought of that, I'm nearing lvl 300. I ground it all out playing chapter 2. If I have to do that again, I will murder someone. In fact, I probably wouldn't do it again, I'd quit.

Guild and flagships should move wherever the GM moves, just like strongholds. If the name is taken in the new server, then they should be asked to rename it, but all the unlocks and such should transfer with them.

Command Tokens are also tied to your Legacy on your current server, these will not transfer with your character.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/star-wars/star-wars-the-old-republic/swtor-character-transfers/

Not arguing about that. I believe what you are saying 100%. What I mean is, they wouldn't force transfer-merge etc without doing something for that because the back lash would be worse than anything they could do short of turning the servers off and shutting the game, which is what would end up happening if they didn't put something in place to address that.

I really don't think that is something anyone needs to worry about. I know they make some fundamentally disastrous mistakes in this game, but even I can't believe they would be that stupid as to basically nuke the game for everyone. Not unless the aim was to turn off the servers.

I hadn't even thought of that, I'm nearing lvl 300. I ground it all out playing chapter 2. If I have to do that again, I will murder someone. In fact, I probably wouldn't do it again, I'd quit.

I have no idea whether we will or not but if you lose your command tokens which is tied to your legacy what is the chance we will lose our ranks due to the fact they are not tied to our legacy.

Guild and flagships should move wherever the GM moves, just like strongholds. If the name is taken in the new server, then they should be asked to rename it, but all the unlocks and such should transfer with them.

You don't need to rename legacy anymore. I don't see any reason they couldn't do the same for guilds. I'm not saying it's a good thing, I don't think it is, but it's not without precedence. I'm sure BBB would love it because they have 50 billion guilds 😉

Not arguing about that. I believe what you are saying 100%. What I mean is, they wouldn't force transfer-merge etc without doing something for that because the back lash would be worse than anything they could do short of turning the servers off and shutting the game, which is what would end up happening if they didn't put something in place to address that.

I really don't think that is something anyone needs to worry about. I know they make some fundamentally disastrous mistakes in this game, but even I can't believe they would be that stupid as to basically nuke the game for everyone. Not unless the aim was to turn off the servers.

Given the way the previous two merges worked, and they way transfers currently work, I think it is foolish to assume that players do not have to worry about command levels and tokens.

Icy,

This is BW we are talking about right? If they can't transfer our tokens which are tied to our legacy, can we trust they can transfer our ranks which are not tied to our legacy? I want to believe they can but considering the headaches in the past I just can't until they actually tell us for sure and that is something they need to put on their transfer page.

I just realised that they will be finishing season 8 ranked pvp soon. I would hazard a guess that they won't merge while a season is active. That either means a merge between season 8 and 9 or they wait till after season 10

They were stupid enough to give us the original incarnation of Galactic Command (AKA RNG as the only way to get any end game set bonus gear, period). They were also stupid enough to put Ben 'The Thrill of the Hunt' Irving on camera to say "RNG is EXCITING!!!!!" and think that would any way reduce the massive backlash. So it's easy to believe they might be stupid enough to merge servers and make people lose all their character and guild assets including GC ranks and Command tokens.

Don't get me wrong, I'm hoping they're not! Keith seems to 'get it' a lot better than his incompetent predecessor. But it's not outside the realm of possibility until they promise us otherwise and put in the time, effort, and money needed to make good on that promise.

Edited by AscendingSky

you know you don't lose GC levels when you transfer right even though the tokens are server based the characters GC level does transfer but not the server based tokens.

I'm all for a server merge. But My only concern is RP servers. Because of the PvP/PvE instancing. There technically shouldn't be a PvP or PvE server, just static servers. But not everyone RPs, and there isn't a server for that. And how about this for an idea. Instead of the instancing, how about setting up the War Zones and other PvP stuff in a cross-server server that everyone can jump into to pvp? That would solve everything as far as PvP. Maybe, just an idea, do it via "group finder?"

I'm all for a server merge. But My only concern is RP servers. Because of the PvP/PvE instancing. There technically shouldn't be a PvP or PvE server, just static servers. But not everyone RPs, and there isn't a server for that. And how about this for an idea. Instead of the instancing, how about setting up the War Zones and other PvP stuff in a cross-server server that everyone can jump into to pvp? That would solve everything as far as PvP. Maybe, just an idea, do it via "group finder?"

Ebon Hawk is techically a RP server. Sure they have taken that off the log in servers now, but if you would notice on the server page here on the forums it still states RP/PVE server. Ebon Hawk is one of the original RP servers.

http://www.swtor.com/server-status

Edited by casirabit

Icy,

This is BW we are talking about right? If they can't transfer our tokens which are tied to our legacy, can we trust they can transfer our ranks which are not tied to our legacy? I want to believe they can but considering the headaches in the past I just can't until they actually tell us for sure and that is something they need to put on their transfer page.

Yes, it is BW and faith in their thought processes to tick all the boxes and not end up nuking the game is at an all time low. Keith seems to be slowly turning the perception ship, even though the tide and the rudder are resisting.

There are really only two possible out comes for them with regards to what your saying.

One - they change it so that those things transfer

Two - they don't change it so those things don't transfer and they essentially nuke the game and it gets turned off 6 weeks later.

I honestly can't see any possible middle ground between those scenarios, so I'm leaning towards them addressing it or they would be looking for new jobs.

I guess this is something we need to add to the list of demands/concerns etc before they even consider mergers.

I think that should be one main purposes of this thread, for us to think of all the pit holes and all the boxes that need to be ticked before even considering it. If we can't do that and find some common ground to present on what needs to happen in the event that they did decide to go down this path, then we need to take a small part of the responsibility when it turns to crap.

I think discussing it like this is healthy and it's something lots of people obviously don't realise. So kudos for getting the ball rolling in the right direction.

Now if we can just get the rest of the community to stop bickering backwards and forwards like children in the playground about the same dogmatic points and get started of this list of demands/concerns, as well as other alternative suggestions to try before mergers, maybe we'll be heard. At the moment we are being drown out by idiots and Bio are probably laughing their heads off at the ridiculous behaviour. I doubt they are even reading it. I wouldn't be surprised if this whole thread wasn't just some big honey trap so we stop scrutinising those other game issues. BW are notorious for smoke and mirrors.

Edited by Icykill_

I guess this is something we need to add to the list of demands/concerns etc before they even consider mergers.

I think that should be one main purposes of this thread, for us to think of all the pit holes and all the boxes that need to be ticked before even considering it. If we can't do that and find some common ground to present on what needs to happen in the event that they did decide to go down this path, then we need to take a small part of the responsibility when it turns to crap.

This is a great sentiment, the problem is, a list has been posted several times to be followed shortly by a comment that is in total opposition to that list. How many times have we gone down the road of RP servers and there continue to be posts that are "I don't see why RPers need their own server". That is what is setting people off. They think they have an agreement and then someone posts just the opposite of worse posts something like "All servers are dead, merge now, nuf said" (not a direct quote just an example but just as unhelpful as some of the posts on the other side). The later speaks volumes about the amount of cooperation (or lack thereof that exists)

If you are going to ask people to stop responding to attacks on their positions (discussions stating reasons why a person feels that way are fine - to which it is perfectly reasonable to respond with a counter argument), then someone is going to need to police the thread and provide factual information about the topics discussed and the agreements that have been made.

I've been saying it for years.

1 East Coast Server

1 West Coast Server

Or forget that and create 1 Server based in Dallas

1 English Server

1 French Server

1 German Server

Already have a PvP and PvE instance. Add an instance for RP. It's already easy to troll RP servers, so that argument is void for instance RP. The same enforcement is applied to the RP instance which is easier because it's less servers.

Star Trek Online has a fix for the naming issue. SWTOR is close to it.

STO makes you create an account "name.name" and all characters are tied to this account. You could see multiple names that match. Multiple KIRKS but the "name.name" is different

Whereas SWTOR let's you put a space in the name. "Name Name". This is a simple database edit and addition to get the name thing working. When this is adjusted, guilds and strongholds can be moved without issue because names are unique. This is why guild ships can't be moved and strongholds need to be redecorated. Due to a forced name change these are lost in a merge. But there is a fix if BW took the time to work on this part of the code and actually test it properly before going live.

Edited by Liquor

1 East Coast Server

1 West Coast Server

1 English Server

1 French Server

1 German Server

Already have a PvP and PvE instance. Add an instance for RP. It's already easy to troll RP servers, so that argument is void for instance RP. The same enforcement is applied to the RP instance which is easier because it's less servers.

STO makes you create an account "name.name" and all characters are tied to this account. You could see multiple names that match. Multiple KIRKS but the "name.name" is different

Whereas SWTOR let's you put a space in the name. "Name Name". This is a simple database edit and addition to get the name thing working. When this is adjusted, guilds and strongholds can be moved without issue because names are unique. This is why guild ships can't be moved and strongholds need to be redecorated. Due to a forced name change these are lost in a merge. But there is a fix if BW took the time to work on this part of the code and actually test it properly before going live.

Sigh, again on the RP server?

1 East Coast Server

1 West Coast Server

Or forget that and create 1 Server based in Dallas

1 English Server

1 French Server

1 German Server

I still think the RP server Ebon Hawk should be renamed to RP Server and that's the only RP Server for NA they do need a server I won't take that away but none of us know what Bioware are doing behind the scenes or how much more they have being able to achieve when testing a merge with local shards.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.