Server Merge Discussion Thread

EricMusco

4 mega servers:

US East

US West

Central Europe

Australia

All servers have 3 instances, pve, PvP, and rp.

No, again. RP instances will not work. If you want to know why go back and look at the responses to why instead of ignoring the responses when this has been discussed numerous times.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, again. RP instances will not work. If you want to know why go back and look at the responses to why instead of ignoring the responses when this has been discussed numerous times.

What about one central US rp server?

HI my maintoon is soldierkatarn on harbinger.

I been here for 3 years, i started on a RP server (bergen colony) by accident because I didn't know what RP is...LOL

Well during my time on that RP server, i learned that RP can get annoying in the chat a lot. NOW NOTE I'M NOT SAYING RP IS BAD. what im saying is the people who do just PVE or just PVP don't want RPers in the main server because they would be trying to RP while someone is trying to LFM...for an op..or RPing during a pvp match. Just like they don't wanna be interrupted while they trying to RP. One post I saw was the idea of merging PVE and PVP servers into an west and east coast megaserver and leave rp servers alone.. To add to this; combine all US rp servers into 2 US rp server just for RP. SO 1 pve/pvp for west coast, 1 RP for west coast, 1 RP for east coast and 1pve/pvp for east coast, This i think would be the best solution to solve both social issues between pvp vs pve vs RP and connection issues with west and east, (this same method would apply to other countries as well like german or french etc,,,,)

This is something I could see working if and only if they could actually get the assets to transfer correctly and they could transfer guilds in tact with all their assets.

HI my maintoon is soldierkatarn on harbinger.

I been here for 3 years, i started on a RP server (bergen colony) by accident because I didn't know what RP is...LOL

Well during my time on that RP server, i learned that RP can get annoying in the chat a lot. NOW NOTE I'M NOT SAYING RP IS BAD. what im saying is the people who do just PVE or just PVP don't want RPers in the main server because they would be trying to RP while someone is trying to LFM...for an op..or RPing during a pvp match. Just like they don't wanna be interrupted while they trying to RP. One post I saw was the idea of merging PVE and PVP servers into an west and east coast megaserver and leave rp servers alone.. To add to this; combine all US rp servers into 2 US rp server just for RP. SO 1 pve/pvp for west coast, 1 RP for west coast, 1 RP for east coast and 1pve/pvp for east coast, This i think would be the best solution to solve both social issues between pvp vs pve vs RP and connection issues with west and east, (this same method would apply to other countries as well like german or french etc,,,,)

This is something I could see working if and only if they could actually get the assets to transfer correctly and they could transfer guilds in tact with all their assets.

I agree with Casirabit.

This idea is probably the best way to solve the "RP" issue.

That said, it still does not address the issue of Harbinger's toxicity and the negative impact merging any other servers with Harbinger's population will have on those players who have chosen those other servers specifically to AVOID that toxic cesspool that is Harbinger.

IMO, the first thing that should be done is to ensure that ALL issues surrounding server merges be resolved--that ALL guilds, guild assets and personal assets will transfer INTACT and ensure that no one will lose anything or be negatively impacted in any way. If this cannot be done, then server merges should not even considered, IMO.

I agree with Casirabit.

This idea is probably the best way to solve the "RP" issue.

That said, it still does not address the issue of Harbinger's toxicity and the negative impact merging any other servers with Harbinger's population will have on those players who have chosen those other servers specifically to AVOID that toxic cesspool that is Harbinger.

IMO, the first thing that should be done is to ensure that ALL issues surrounding server merges be resolved--that ALL guilds, guild assets and personal assets will transfer INTACT and ensure that no one will lose anything or be negatively impacted in any way. If this cannot be done, then server merges should not even considered, IMO.

I agree with this 100%, just saying lol. if this is accomplished mostly everyone would be happy.

Okay okay

8 Mega servers:

US West

US West RP

US East

US East RP

Central Europe

Central Europe RP

Australia

Australia RP

Boom done, devs make it happen!:D

Except one thing before they can do that: Guilds needs to transfer in tact with their assets and personal assets needs to transfer as it is including the outfit designer. Then and only then can they do it.

Okay Eric, we have worked it all out for you guys. Now you can go back and tell everyone what we have worked out and now you can work out how to transfer guilds, their assets in tact and personal assets in tact. :p:D

Edited by casirabit

Okay okay

8 Mega servers:

US West

US West RP

US East

US East RP

Central Europe

Central Europe RP

Australia

Australia RP

Boom done, devs make it happen!:D

This is what I've been saying for months now.

West Coast:

The Harbinger PvE

Begeron Colony RP

East Coast:

The Shadowlands and Jedi Covenant merged PvE

The Ebon Hawk RP

Europe:

The Red Eclipse PvE

The Progenitor RP

But APAC is never gonna happen. It's not coming back. :/

Edited by Talon_strikes

Just lock the creation of new chars in dead servers till the end of the year

Put transfers to 20/cc's so most ppl can transfer or give 1 free transfer per char (above Lvl 40) as you guys already did in the past

Mail active players from low pop servers a notification of those servers beeing shutdown

Make sure those guilds/players can transfer all the assets safely

Close the dead servers

Other thing BW can do is their job and develope some content that is attractive enough so new and old players can sub/resub..... or we can all accept that Galactic Command killed the game for good and there is no chance the game will increase in subs and we are destined to be milked for some piece of gear to play the same content over and over....lol

RP North America

I've followed this a long time. I don't think people understand that Ebon Hawk has a robust population with a really good GTN economy. People go there for what it uniquely offers. If all the servers are located in the same region now it would make sense to merge the smaller Bergeren Colony into TEH.

PVE East

Shadowlands and JC are redundant and are competing for the same crowd. It would be prudent to merge JC into Shadowlands while adding POT5 and Jung Ma. Many of the POT5's moved into Shadowlands ages ago. I know very little of Jung Ma but I can only surmise it probably has the smallest population of all.

The 90 CC transfer events were the death knell for JM. There were several big waves of out-migration, and Ebon Hawk seemed like it was the most favored destination by a pretty large margin for all of those waves. In terms of civility and server culture TEH was the closest to JM, and once the hassles of moving were over basically felt like still being at home. To a large extent Jung Ma has effectively already been merged with Ebon Hawk.

JM does make a nice Jedi meditation retreat if you don't want to interact with people though. :) I go back and visit on occasion.

This is what I've been saying for months now.

West Coast:

The Harbinger PvE

Begeron Colony RP

East Coast:

The Shadowlands and Jedi Covenant merged PvE

The Ebon Hawk RP

Europe:

The Red Eclipse PvE

The Progenitor RP

But APAC is never gonna happen. It's not coming back. :/

Yes, this is the ideal situation (more or less) but there are numerous technical hurdles that need to be cleared before this can proceed so an imminent server merger like this is unlikely. As noted by several others the loss of assets in the merge is a major concern and these issues need to be worked out before any server mergers commence (and should probably be tested with a small merge like a PVP server to a larger server so that it can be more easily reversed if it goes badly). Also of concern are competition for objectives in excessively populated map instances and toxic chat that will come with large server size. There are some people that prefer to play on less populated servers because of the later two points. If these issues could be resolved, the resistance to server mergers would likely drop substantially.

This type of merger will also likely take the game down for an extended period of time, and based on the number of complaint threads that pop up when completion of maintenance is delayed by an hour, could be an impetus to drive people away. It needs to be handled very carefully.

I would be careful to merge servers purely from a capacity planning standpoint.

Also, I would hate to lose names... AGAIN. I pre-ordered the game on the very first hour of the very first day and secured my names on the very first hour of the very first day of launch but nooooooooooooooo, I lost names twice.

CROSS SERVER match making AND CHAT would solve most of the problems. This way you have plenty of capacity when the population spikes but can still get people playing together when it dips.

I don't know about the European servers, but I'd personally prefer to see the North American servers merged into 3 "mega" servers as such:

West Coast

The Harbinger

The Bastion

NA-RP

The Ebon Hawk

Bergeren Colony

Jung Ma

East Coast

The Shadowlands

Jedi Covenant

Prophecy of the Five

I don't know about the European servers, but I'd personally prefer to see the North American servers merged into 3 "mega" servers as such:

West Coast

The Harbinger

The Bastion

NA-RP

The Ebon Hawk

Bergeren Colony

Jung Ma

East Coast

The Shadowlands

Jedi Covenant

Prophecy of the Five

While I'm not particularly fond of the merging servers idea, I wouldn't mind this set up. It seems like a decent compromise. Personally, I don't want to play on a mega server, but I wouldn't pitch a fit if they did some consolidation.

With a cross server group queue, RP players can do group content with everyone else, and after the OPS or PVP run, they can leave the instance and return to their home server and continue with the RP lifestyle. PROBLEM SOLVED.

In a cross server group queue system, there is no need for LFM to start an OPS run in general chat, as there is alway activity from the queue, 24/7. PROBLEM SOLVED.

With a cross server group queue, the group content is run as if ALL SWTOR server have been mergered into one big server, but no one has to give up their name, guild name, guild banks, flag ships, etc.. PROBLEM SOLVED.

With a cross server group queue, Harbinger's trolls stay on Harbinger, SL's trolls stay on SL's, JC's stay on JC. As opposed to merging two server and increasing the troll population on the new merged server. PROBLEM NOT MADE WORSE.

Merging servers also makes it easier for gold spammers to reach more players from a single account. In a cross server group queue system, gold spammers have to work harder to reach out to more players. In fact, it would make it very difficult for gold spammers if SWTOR implemented a cross server group queue, then added 1000 mini servers. Gold spammers would have to create fake accounts on 1000 different servers to reach the number of people they currently reach out to.

SWOTR would still make money off of server transfers in the cross server queue system and here is why. If I queue up for an OPS, and I get in a run with my old friend TUX, for example, and decide I want to join his guild and progression raid team, I will have to transfer to his server to join that guild.

I see this as a no brainer on SWTOR's side. If I were on the development team, I would do whatever it takes to make the cross server queue thing happen. Someone said in an earlier post that SWTOR tried to do a cross server group queue system before, but had problems with players leaving the group and not returning to their home server. If that is the case, then the programing logic is already there to do it, they just need to problem solve the return to home server problem. I'm not a programer, but I would think you could add a skill in each players ability tree that has a return to home server button. Or maybe tie everyone's fleet pass to a specific fleet ship on their home server. Then if you leave a group run and do not return to your home server, you just use your abilities skill or fleet pass to get home.

West Coast

The Harbinger

The Bastion

NA-RP

The Ebon Hawk

Bergeren Colony

Jung Ma

East Coast

The Shadowlands

Jedi Covenant

Prophecy of the Five

This has to be one of the worst Ideas ever sorry but the servers listed in here like Jung Ma, bastion, Pot5 are all of the wasteland servers that need to go and should have been purged a long time ago.

They only need 1 NA server or 2 at the most adding an RP instance would help for planet and RP but the toxic players this is upto Bioware to purge.

They only need 1 NA server or 2 at the most adding an RP instance would help for planet and RP but the toxic players this is upto Bioware to purge.

If they just implement a cross server group queue system, then it takes a lot of the player bashing away. Most of the player bashing in general chat comes from people hating on each other from playing group content. If everyone returns to their home server, then what is the point in player bashing another player when they are not even on your server and can not read what you are saying about them?

You get all the servers merged for group content, but keep the servers separated for RP, gold spammers, trolls, etc...

This has to be one of the worst Ideas ever sorry but the servers listed in here like Jung Ma, bastion, Pot5 are all of the wasteland servers that need to go and should have been purged a long time ago.

I don't understand why RP needs it own instance your still going to see the chat whether your in a pvp instance or pve.

Also 2 Servers for NA as i made in an earlier post, you dont want to much strain on just 1 server, have 1 sever East cost, 1 server west coast, then 3 European servers 1 for english, french, and german speaking.

I don't understand why RP needs it own instance your still going to see the chat whether your in a pvp instance or pve.

Also 2 Servers for NA as i made in an earlier post, you dont want to much strain on just 1 server, have 1 sever East cost, 1 server west coast, then 3 European servers 1 for english, french, and german speaking.

I would assume that an rp instance would be its own chat environment too.

I'm only saying that so the RP guys are happy If I had it my way I would have 1 server only for NA and 1 for EU but the problem with this game is you need a box of tissues with every post because of the crying of blue murder if people don't get what they want. I just hope Bioware does it and really makes people understand that they are the ones that make the decisions and not the player base pushing.

I'm only saying that so the RP guys are happy If I had it my way I would have 1 server only for NA and 1 for EU but the problem with this game is you need a box of tissues with every post because of the crying of blue murder if people don't get what they want. I just hope Bioware does it and really makes people understand that they are the ones that make the decisions and not the player base pushing.

Sure, EAWare can make whatever decisions they want... and then they can deal with the fallout of bad decisions as players unsubscribe en masse! Remember, without customers putting money into the game, there would be no game. So maybe, just maybe, it would be in the company's best interest to listen to its customers before making a major change like a server merge, yeah? Which is why they have this thread in the first place. So maybe don't complain about the fact people are providing feedback when EAWare specifically asked for feedback? :rolleyes:

Also, wishing for the majority of your fellow players to lose their character names, guild names, guild bank tabs, legacy bank tabs, outfit tabs, guild strongholds, and guild flaghships (since that's what would happen right now if they merged servers again)? Not very nice. I don't agree with you personally, but I don't wish for you to lose everything you've spent money (real and virtual) and time on in this game! Try to be more considerate, please?

Edited by AscendingSky

I disagree with people wanting a single server with an RP instance. Again RP should always be on it's own server. There is absolutely not reason to force those that RP to be on a non-RP server.

Again an RP instance will never be a good idea. It will not prevent toxic players and those that want to harass the RP community. You can ignore / report all day long till your blue in the face but it doesn't matter.

A good compromise would be the following for example:

NA - West:

The Harbinger - Non RP Server

Begeren Colony - RP server

NA - East

Jedi Covenant - Non RP server

The Ebon Hawk - RP server

EU - English

The Red Eclipse - Non RP Server

The Progenitor - RP Server

EU - German

T3-M4 - Non RP Server

Vanjervalis Chain - RP Server

EU - French

Mantle of the Force - Non RP Server

Battle Meditation - RP Server

That drops the total number of current servers down from 17 to 10 servers total. Again RP players should always be on their own server and everyone else on a different server.

Each of the servers can have their PvE / PvP instance as the way it is currently. I would also say take it a step further and add a setting that can be set either account wide or per character wide which instance to default into when you log in. That way if you want to always default into a PvP instance on planets, it will default you to that.

I don't know why people keep wanting an RP instance, there is no reason for that, just leave RPers on their own server.

Edited by Nightblazer