Most overused strategies...

VixenRawR

Or "everyone" Zerg left 🙄

Thats what you should do, you'll have 8 people where they have to leave 1 to defend.

The whole stealth thing is dumb, but sending a 1-off to the other door can be a good thing if that player is capable of outplaying the 1 defender. If not.. then he is just wasting time.

Thats what you should do, you'll have 8 people where they have to leave 1 to defend.

The whole stealth thing is dumb, but sending a 1-off to the other door can be a good thing if that player is capable of outplaying the 1 defender. If not.. then he is just wasting time.

I thought Icy put "everyone" in quotes, because 9 times out of 10 when the plan is for "everyone zerg left" what actually happens is that 4 people go left. 2 people go right, thinking it is left. And 2 other people go right because they didn't read the chat message at all.

My fav is in arenas, when the strategy is "wait for them to come to us". Yeah, that usually lasts about 10 seconds until someone gets impatient and rushes them, lone-wolf style. :rolleyes:

[Edit: oh, also, that "all left, stealth right" thing actually worked like a dream for us in a game yesterday. Three of us stealth went "right" and they dropped one defender down on that side, we we managed to chain-mezz for the instant plant. So, if it worked once, it should work every time... right? :p)

Edited by Banderal

Well.

It might be dumb, but I pulled it off on a Sniper once, guard was a sorc i think. I used Maim, started to plant, he broke Maim, I flashbang and plant, and for some miracle reason, i planted the bomb. For an oper this would have even easier to pull off.

Sometimes you can get a sense for how the game is going to go when someone asks "whats the plan?" at the beginning of the match or 4 on (x) node and 4 on (y) node.

more often than not that's the beginning of a downward spiral.

Well.

It might be dumb, but I pulled it off on a Sniper once, guard was a sorc i think. I used Maim, started to plant, he broke Maim, I flashbang and plant, and for some miracle reason, i planted the bomb. For an oper this would have even easier to pull off.

Operative flash is 10m. Unless someone camps next to the door.. you won't make it.

Voidstar: "stealth go right, everyone else left."

I just sigh everytime. Either people watch doors or they don't.

didn't you suggest (in another thread) that people would start running teams of 4 healers after class changes?

it's ok, strategy and basic understanding of the game isn't for everyone.

Edited by themachinemann

I don't agree "all" 8 should go, but I do agree about the 1-off and I don't think they should be a stealth unless said stealth is going to really make their presence known and not just cc from stealth every now and then.

Im usually that one off person who goes the opposite side to the rest of my team. I make sure I am a major threat and the biggest pain so they call for help. If help doesn't arrive I will cap most of the time, but if it does arrive I will run them around like headless chickens. If I can keep 3-4 busy chasing me because they want to tunnel the kill, then my team should have a massive advantage at the other door.

The two classes I do this on are my Mara and Sorc.

Mara because if they don't get help I'm probably going to cap and if they do get help I can camo, hide, heal and come back before they run back to the other side.. predation helps too in making them run after you.

Sorc because they just won't kill me unless they have 4 people. It may take me longer to kill the defender solo, but they usually panic and call for help and then I can lead those guys on a merry chase.

So many people in Void star get tunnel vision when they defend, especially IMPs on Harbinger. They don't watch doors and they aren't really trying to defend them, they just want that kill and dps numbers. All it takes is some simple tactics like mine to beat them. Once you can get them to chase you, all you do is run further away from the doors. Eventually you have them so far back that even if they see someone capping there is no way they can get back there in time.

I love how the first two posts are valid strategies lol.

I don't agree "all" 8 should go, but I do agree about the 1-off and I don't think they should be a stealth unless said stealth is going to really make their presence known and not just cc from stealth every now and then.

Im usually that one off person who goes the opposite side to the rest of my team. I make sure I am a major threat and the biggest pain so they call for help. If help doesn't arrive I will cap most of the time, but if it does arrive I will run them around like headless chickens. If I can keep 3-4 busy chasing me because they want to tunnel the kill, then my team should have a massive advantage at the other door.

Mara because if they don't get help I'm probably going to cap and if they do get help I can camo, hide, heal and come back before they run back to the other side.. predation helps too in making them run after you.

Sorc because they just won't kill me unless they have 4 people. It may take me longer to kill the defender solo, but they usually panic and call for help and then I can lead those guys on a merry chase.

So many people in Void star get tunnel vision when they defend, especially IMPs on Harbinger. They don't watch doors and they aren't really trying to defend them, they just want that kill and dps numbers. All it takes is some simple tactics like mine to beat them. Once you can get them to chase you, all you do is run further away from the doors. Eventually you have them so far back that even if they see someone capping there is no way they can get back there in time.

All 8 on the one site is the "correct" strategy in voidstar, assuming teams are even close to being balanced and if the teams aren't even close to being balanced then the strategy is irrelevant to begin with. If you're tying up 4 players in voidstar for a significant time on a Marauder you probably would have just been able to murder them with the assistance of your team on the other side.

8 to one side forces a 8v7 to the attacking team meaning you can maximise enemy deaths /

minimise friendly casualties. If you split 1 off to the other door you're forcing yourself to be down one player and any semi-competent defender will be able to hold vs 1 attacker. Even if they do need help defending, the defending team can have 2 back defending vs the 1 attacker and still not be sacrificing their advantage.

The only real time to split when attacking in voidstar is either immediately to try and create some chaos at the start (hence the stealth one side non-stealth other), or if you're clearly going to lose the game if it comes down to kills.

Obviously, there will be some circumstances separate to these where splitting is correct but those two are pretty much the only reasons to try it.

I love how the first two posts are valid strategies lol.

All 8 on the one site is the "correct" strategy in voidstar, assuming teams are even close to being balanced and if the teams aren't even close to being balanced then the strategy is irrelevant to begin with. If you're tying up 4 players in voidstar for a significant time on a Marauder you probably would have just been able to murder them with the assistance of your team on the other side.

8 to one side forces a 8v7 to the attacking team meaning you can maximise enemy deaths /

minimise friendly casualties. If you split 1 off to the other door you're forcing yourself to be down one player and any semi-competent defender will be able to hold vs 1 attacker. Even if they do need help defending, the defending team can have 2 back defending vs the 1 attacker and still not be sacrificing their advantage.

The only real time to split when attacking in voidstar is either immediately to try and create some chaos at the start (hence the stealth one side non-stealth other), or if you're clearly going to lose the game if it comes down to kills.

Obviously, there will be some circumstances separate to these where splitting is correct but those two are pretty much the only reasons to try it.

I understand the maths and why it should work that way, but I rarely see it work. It was a viable strategy in the past, but now people just expect it. I guess the biggest reason it isn't working is the stupid team compositions of heaps of Mercs and a sniper or two. Add a Sorc healer and it's impossible to cap if you all go to one side. At the start of the thread, which is what I was replying to originally, was to break up a team.

If I see a team basically trying to all grind the one door we are defending, then I know it's probably a win if our team is half competent.

I find if you can really split the defenders up with minimal effort from 1 player, your team has a much better chance to cap. I also don't just mean one backup going to help, I mean more than one. If they just keep sending one, you are right, it is pointless unless you can quickly global that one defender before the backup arrives.

I also do this a lot on my Mara because of the team compositions. With multiple Mercs and a sniper + healer on the enemy team and probably your own, it is pointless for a Mara to try capping on the heavy side and I can nearly guarantee none of those Mercs will try. Occasionally the sniper will and they are dog meat. One of the Mercs would be the best bet, but I'm yet to see one try. One Mara won't make a difference in that situation, especially as you will nearly always get focused first.

I know you main a OP and I really respect how you play and your strategies, but this thread title said the most overused strategies.. all I was offering is an alternate to the void star one when it's obvious a one sided grind is in no way going to work... plus a lot of the time they usually leave one sniper there to guard and I do love sniper killing on my Mara 😉

Edited by Icykill_

sometimes a strategy works.

The best is when I suggest something ( especially in voidstar) and get loads of abuse - nothing short of 'delete game and kill yourself and your family' - and then everyone runs around like headless chickens and we never plant a bomb.

Then on defence. no one has a plan - coz I shut up. And the other team feint an attack and switch, plant within the first minute and everyone is blaming one another for not co-ordinating the defence.

9 times out of 10 someone who has a plan, and can adapt and have a plan B stands a good chance of a win- or at least not a humiliating defeat. - Just wish there were a few more novel strategies tho'

The AH 4-4 split seems to be a big thing at the moment.

- I've seen several 'focus the DPS' in a 4v4 with a tank who isn't afk and 2 enemy healers. This has consistently failed to get a win. I dunno why some people think it will yield a different result. :rolleyes:

Best thing now is ask for a plan - mostly you get "run around kill stuff" but occasionally someone has a strategy that works. Whether it was a good strategy or poor enemy defending is debateable.

The AH 4-4 split seems to be a big thing at the moment.

- I've seen several 'focus the DPS' in a 4v4 with a tank who isn't afk and 2 enemy healers. This has consistently failed to get a win. I dunno why some people think it will yield a different result. :rolleyes:

You don't necessarily need to split the team in 2 equal teams. You just want to send a strong party to the pylon you think the enemy will have the weakest attack on for a quick cap. If you're lucky enough to have a tank and a healer with you, you will want to send those after the stronger side or the side the enemy team also sends their tank and healer to.

Have just enough manpower to stall on one side and cap the other.

This forces the enemy team to re-strategize and most of the time that doesn't go to well for them.

I didn't agree with it, ( 4-4 split) though sometimes it works, just saying it seems to be a very frequent occurrence.

- yet most of the time if you suggest other combinations, all you get is abuse by people who don't suggest any alternative....

I didn't agree with it, ( 4-4 split) though sometimes it works, just saying it seems to be a very frequent occurrence.

- yet most of the time if you suggest other combinations, all you get is abuse by people who don't suggest any alternative....

It makes sense to me. Stalling or double capping are far more effective than running orbs or kills, and if you don't defend against the strategy, you are very likely to become a victim of it while those who went to mid come running with useless orbs.

Splits are 100% the correct strategy for AHG, not necessarilly 4-4 splits but preventing the enemy cap makes kills and orbs irrelevant. It's also a great example of how broken Tank + Heal can be for stalling.

Back to Voidstar, With one defender on one door, even if your whole team go to the other, the seven defenders, can usually hold the other door, even cycling through deaths, with the cage timer CD stopping them re-joining the fight.

You usually see defenders spam AoEs or just direct damage attacks to any capper for the whole time.

The second stage - (crossing the bridge) and penultimate stage ( cargo bay?) is far more interesting, as it requires focussing each defender and putting them behind the barrier, so the quicker you shred the enemy, the less opposition you face to extend the bridge or bring the force fields down.

Trouble is, no-one likes being trapped behind the re-spawn door, or on the other side of the force field for long, yet they want quick kills and not an endless DPS barrage against enemy healers.

-With Huttball, the best strategy I ever saw was a well co-ordinated team setting up a chain to pass to. Like a game of checkers, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass score....! They flipped left and right after each two scores, hardly did much damage to the enemy, but used their CCs and DCDs to great effect. Game was over so quickly, I was still reeling from being part of their amazing success.

I occasionally see the "Tee" Strategy in ACW. normally 1 each to grass and snow. the other 6 to mid, use their slows and CCs only, then up the ramps to Grass and snow for a 2-6 or 3-5 split, putting huge pressure on the off-node, leaving mid to the enemy, by which time we've capped 2 - then just defend, with a couple of 'sweepers' who respond to incs, while everyone else defends. - Thing is, people want to farm kills or DPS, so it can break down easily if you get greedy and go for a 3-cap.

Everyone or no-one to the Inc call is such a dumb move. Only suitable classes with a speed boost and it on CD should respond. - Anyone not engaged should use ops chat to say that help is coming, and try to slow the rush from the enemy gate. - A simple 'OMW' helps clarify who is coming and how many.

Edited by Storm-Cutter

:mon_trap:

The lag switch. It's odd when the same 3 (non-stealth) members of a guild disappear only to reappear 20-30 meters away in just a couple seconds. It gets old.

Speed modifiers. Predation speed 100% of the time, except there isn't a sent/mara on their side. Hmm same guild, same 3 players. It gets old.

Phase Walk cap. Same guild but just one of those guys. It gets old.

FOTM as an excuse. Yeah, it gets old.

When I finish the montage from my streams I'll make the report. They have made it very easy to collect information. There's a lot of evidence. It won't stop them but they will be out of our hair for a while, again. They aren't first time offenders.

That's what gets under my skin. The use of third party programs and inducing lag as a crutch, because their garbage without the assist when in a fair fight. The use of cheese mechanics and classes to stroke their ego is childish

:rak_04:

Edited by Liquor

I feel uncomfortable when I see people use right/left terminology instead of e and w. I then know they probably don't use their map or count.

I use left right, because I know people learned left right long before they understood east west. I know people who understand east west should understand left right...so I just use left right because otherwise I say east and they go mid.

"I Was going North East..."

When I was a kid once, there was an auditorium filled with kids and adults, I think over 300. The speaker asked everyone to close their eyes and when they did they said point north. It was almost all the kids pointing forward, and the adults pointing to their left which was North. XD

Most overused strategies

-rerolling merc

-Leaving a match the momment you loose a capture point in the begining

-Tunnel the poor dps sorc with every single mara ops and assassins your team have

these are the most overused strategies im seeing >.>

Edited by Zolxtren

didn't you suggest (in another thread) that people would start running teams of 4 healers after class changes?

it's ok, strategy and basic understanding of the game isn't for everyone.

Well if you played thru 4.0....that's pretty much what happened 50% of the time. I straight up would have to log off for the night because a team of 4 sorc healers, or 3 would que together with a tank. Had plenty of warzones where each side had 2 sorc heals and 2 tanks.

You know I've tried that strategy so many times. I was a healer at off node having 4 people chase me like chickens with head cut off. I am doing the math in my mind. 7 v 4...if the enemy has a guard on their other node...7 v 3 in mid....2 mins later no caps. Like HOW?! Heck I just confirmed they have 3 at snow. -.- The chickens on my team don't even have wings or feet for that matter. =/

Yah no one even looks at door. I've had it so many times all 16 people are fighting at one door including me and after like a bit no one i dying cause healers...I just go...well no one is facing at the door...ill just wander up to it and plant and it works. >.> lol

The worst is when you see it hit 8.0 seconds and THEN a marauder leaps on you and it cancels. Like huh? -.-

I remember one time in 3.0 I was capping a door and I was about 3 seconds in and I saw a merc fall into range and I was like...craaap. I was about to just drop it cause he was running at me. Then he didn't attack...he got all the way to me...I planted and he hit rocket punch. I could just imagine his determination he saw me and was running and was looking over his power tray for a power to click "Emergency scan" nope..."Kolto shot" nope...."Energy shield" nope..."Rocket punch" Oh an attack...oh no they are going to cap the door. *spam clicks it while running at me*

This game has gotten really buggy though. I was playing a mids match in civil war. I was in mid, the only one guarding. I am looking as a lvl 42 sorc arrives. I jump down off my perch as they jump down...I see the force speed animation. For a second I have a blind spot as I come around to face them. They aren't there. I am like...did they quit. We were winning pretty well. I run up and look towards snow to see if they ran that direction...nothing. I turn back and wander towards my node a bit..and suddenly the sorc became visible and was halfway thru capping. My Ms is in the 80's...like please EAware fix your game.

Most overused strategies

-rerolling merc

-Leaving a match the momment you loose a capture point in the begining

-Tunnel the poor dps sorc with every single mara ops and assassins your team have

these are the most overused strategies im seeing >.>

So true.

Huttball. 5 mins in no one scores. We get a point...and score 5 more times within 3 mins. Its like everyone just stops trying and goes into full tunnel dps mode the moment someone scores.

I honestly just want to see these people in real life playing basketball.

*match starts* someone shoots and scores 2 points. The rest of the team just groups up and starts chasing one of the other opponents around the court while the rest of their team scores. Then they get the ball and pass it to the opposite team not wanting to deal with it and they score again. Actually....I can imagine this happening now.

I actually like to tunnel dps sorc. The moment you don't attack them they start off healing. So in order.

0. Knock people off bridge.

1. Objective.

2. Healers.

3. Dps Sorc.

Edited by VixenRawR