Devs, please add the following already completed hood down armors to the game.

JohnRoy

I probably don't belong here but I'm actually in the opposite camp. I'd like to actually have a hood for my male Twi'lek Inquisitor. I see the exact same armors that I'm wearing on other players yet they have hoods. I realize this is a clipping issue with respect to the lekku, but I thought it important to point out, because chances are, Twi'lek Jedi have the same hood down experience that everyone in this thread would like to enjoy on their non lekku bearing characters. To drive the point further, both styles of armor exist. The artwork is there.

Also, the Togruta have head tails situated along the front of their chest throughout the game, and this seems like a reasonable solution for allowing Twi'leks the pleasure of having a hood if they want to as well as avoiding clipping issues on some of the armor with high collars at the back of the neck. It's ironic because the Imperial class that has the most non friendly to lekku art designs, is the only class that Twi'lek can be a part of.

I have faith in Bioware as a developer, I just hope they don't save these kinds of changes for two years from now. I know they're likely being pushed for new content, but all the content in the world won't keep me playing if I can't stand looking at my character. I'll just reroll and enjoy the content that was already there; which may happen anyway :)

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bumping this so it stays relevant.

For now I've joined the Dark side thanks to this, playing a Warrior so I can finally see my character's face (well all of it at least).

With a new patch every week or every other week, I can't see how it would be so difficult to take models of armor already completed (there are many examples of hood down robes in the game already), and add them to vendors. It would be a simple fix that would please a whole lot of players.

I pass on the information I have, and I'm told it's a considerable task for the art team. I don't give out 'hogwash' as a general rule. ;)

That said, I'll pass on these suggestions to those responsible and see what I get back. Studio's a little light on bodies this week but I will try my best to get some info.

Dear Bioware Team,

I know it might seem like a minor issue, but in fact it isn't. While leveling up you get to see many Jedis and they proof by the way that not even every Jedi wears a Robe. In fact, from those who do next to no one has the hood up. I think I also understand why. It's probably because when the art team made those characters that thousands of players get to see, they wanted them to be unique and great and not loose their uniqueness to a piece of cloth, the thing is... it's the same for us with our characters.

This game is great and one of the reasons for it is the great story that we get to experience with dialog scenes. Sadly, it's also those scenes that painlfully remind us that the characters we put a considerable amout of time into to look just right at the character creation can not be seen the way we wanted them to be. The problem also is... we see them, or rather miss to see them the right way, now and not in 6 month or something.

Right now I'm in the early Level 40s, wearing the lvl 40 pvp armor and am trying to get the visor for hoth marks for lvl 39. I'll see what it looks like, if it doesn't fit, I'll probably stop playing this character. Before that early in the lvl 30s, I bought a moddable trooper armor. It's mods (that I sadly forgot to safe for my droid) were higher level than mine, so not only did I replace the trooper mods with mine, I actually downgraded this armor. I did so feeling sorry for the trooper who would have bought it instead of me, knowing how hard it is to get good mods for all your upgradeable gear at the moment, but I did it anyway, because I just couldn't bear to look at this hood anymore.

Please, I know you're having enough trouble with getting everything right after launch, especially to ensure that everyone is able to play and otherwise this game is really great, so please forgive me for saying that this way, but given the amount of hairstyles you get to choose from and then being forced to hide them for the majority of the game, not to mention that the shadows mess up the skin colour, this is a serious design error, also the first one I've come across, all the other things are minor bugs.

For a Jedi Knight player who's not into hoods, this is a very serious issue. Please fix it.

With best regards,

Kieran

Edited by trueKieran

Dear Bioware Team,

I know it might seem like a minor issue, but in fact it isn't. While leveling up you get to see many Jedis and they proof by the way that not even every Jedi wears a Robe. In fact, from those who do next to no one has the hood up. I think I also understand why. It's probably because when the art team made those characters that thousands of players get to see, they wanted them to be unique and great and not loose their uniqueness to a piece of cloth, the thing is... it's the same for us with our characters.

This game is great and one of the reasons for it is the great story that we get to experience with dialog scenes. Sadly, it's also those scenes that painlfully remind us that the characters we put a considerable amout of time into to look just right at the character creation can not be seen the way we wanted them to be. The problem also is... we see them, or rather miss to see them the right way, now and not in 6 month or something.

Right now I'm in the early Level 40s, wearing the lvl 40 pvp armor and am trying to get the visor for hoth marks for lvl 39. I'll see what it looks like, if it doesn't fit, I'll probably stop playing this character. Before that early in the lvl 30s, I bought a moddable trooper armor. It's mods (that I sadly forgot to safe for my droid) were higher level than mine, so not only did I replace the trooper mods with mine, I actually downgraded this armor. I did so feeling sorry for the trooper who would have bought it instead of me, knowing how hard it is to get good mods for all your upgradeable gear at the moment, but I did it anyway, because I just couldn't bear to look at this hood anymore.

Please, I know you're having enough trouble with getting everything right after launch, especially to ensure that everyone is able to play and otherwise this game is really great, so please forgive me for saying that this way, but given the amount of hairstyles you get to choose from and then being forced to hide them for the majority of the game, not to mention that the shadows mess up the skin colour, this is a serious design error, also the first one I've come across, all the other things are minor bugs.

For a Jedi Knight player who's not into hoods, this is a very serious issue. Please fix it.

With best regards,

Kieran

Well put together post.

I believe the next patch goes live Tuesday. Its probably too much to hope for a fix by then, but here's to that.

/signed.

If it can be done, please do so. This would be the first MMO since Ultima Online that forces players to have their heads covered. I think even Everquest had a no-helmet option.

Edited by McVade

I think the longer we go without hood down options, the louder the community will get on this issue. If you think about it, people that only play 1 or 2 hours a day (which is actually the majority) likely haven't even finished Coruscant yet, meaning they'd have no idea if hood down hoods are available or not yet.

I just can't believe they defaulted to every robe in the game having the hood up though.

Playing a Warrior now, and their clothing/armor options are so much better its ridiculous.

I think the longer we go without hood down options, the louder the community will get on this issue. If you think about it, people that only play 1 or 2 hours a day (which is actually the majority) likely haven't even finished Coruscant yet, meaning they'd have no idea if hood down hoods are available or not yet.

I just can't believe they defaulted to every robe in the game having the hood up though.

Playing a Warrior now, and their clothing/armor options are so much better its ridiculous.

Right? And when I tried to transfer some Warrior Hood Down robes to my Jedi via the Nar Shaddaa neutral market, the Bioware Hood Police showed up and switched the appearances of the gear so they too had hoods once they were being bought by a Republic character.

Why is the hood down tobe look OK for Sith, who never looked that way in the movies (the only consistently hood up character in the movies is the Emperor, and he's the only Sith with a hood!) but not for Jedi, who always do? I have no idea what the Dev team were thinking when they went this way, but I am happy that it will be easy to change back.

There were Jedi wearing robes with the hood down on Tython if I recall. Are said robes available in the game?

Nope, that's what's killing a lot of us. That they are clearly in the game, but not available to the player. Even the ones on the character creation screen.

Nope, that's what's killing a lot of us. That they are clearly in the game, but not available to the player. Even the ones on the character creation screen.

The funny thing is if you have the physical box, one of the pictures clearly shows a Jedi Knight with a very cool hood down robe on the backcover.

Edited by Idunhavaname

Well that sucks. One thing that would have been awesome is not just the ability to be able to wear a hooded robe, but to be able to toggle it on or off for preference or occasion. I still dream the day when they release a game that would let you take the robe (hooded layer) off during a lightsaber duel like they do in the films. :D

Well that sucks. One thing that would have been awesome is not just the ability to be able to wear a hooded robe, but to be able to toggle it on or off for preference or occasion. I still dream the day when they release a game that would let you take the robe (hooded layer) off during a lightsaber duel like they do in the films. :D

Yeah, they've said they wanted to implement the toggle but its too tough to do right away.

Still, it stinks they couldn't at least get a few hood down variations. I gave up my Knight at level 25. I'm playing a Warrior now, but if the hood thing doesn't get fixed I may just unsubscribe, its actually that important to me. Stupid I know, but oh well.

I don't agree with calling the lack of hoodless armor models a gamebreaking issue. There are much bigger problems within this game, and those possibly deserve such title.

I do however support this topic. It's simply not fair that Jedi Knights are forced to wear a helmet (because that's what the hood essentialy is, even if according to game mechanics it isn't), while other classes are not. Not to mention the obvious fact, that obligatory hoods to some extend ruin the results of all hard work BioWare did preparing facial expressions and other animations.

What I find even worse, the whole situation makes me think that BioWare as a developer is not learning from experience. Mass Effect fans reaction to armors without removable helmet, featured in ME2, was less than positive.

There is also one more thing that bothers me. Assuming they had hood-down and hood-up versions of armor models prepared, why the decision to use the version which, in fact, causes more problems?

Firstly, hoods won't display properly on Twi'lek characters. Secondly, some headgears may be in conflict with the hoods, therefore causing them to disappear. Thirdly, hoods cause tons of clipping issues during cutscenes. Fourthly, have anyone seen what is the effect of equiping non-human companions, such as Qyzen, with a hooded armor?

On the other hand, the only problem with hood-down armors I can think of are clipping issues. But they are already present in SWTOR anyway. Not to mention that they are present in virtually every MMO on the market.

Therefore, for me it seems that someone actually decided on an option, that will, in the end, force him to do more work post-launch.

Posted it on the other thread (Show us your Jedi Knight):

I found a very nice Prototype Baktoid Trellised Jacket in game, would have been perfect for my Sentinel if it had been moddable/orange/purple.

Currently using an orange Watchman Jacket I got from Tatooine via the commendations vendor though.

My current Watchman Jacket:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v380/wqtrigger/test/swtor2011-12-3112-40-08-68.jpg

Previews of the blue Trellised Jacket:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v380/wqtrigger/test/swtor2011-12-3112-45-44-87.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v380/wqtrigger/test/swtor2011-12-3112-46-53-88.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v380/wqtrigger/test/swtor2011-12-3112-54-54-15.jpg

If anyone comes across a purple/orange moddable version please let me know! It's a very good look with hood down! :) haven't tried it on to see whether it gives the fat butt effect because I don't want to bind it yet (might sell it on the GTN) but I suspect it does give the fat butt effect :/

Edited by WQtRiggEr

I found a very nice Prototype Baktoid Trellised Jacket in game, would have been perfect for my Sentinel if it had been moddable/orange/purple.

Currently using an orange Watchman Jacket I got from Tatooine via the commendations vendor though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v380/wqtrigger/test/swtor2011-12-3112-40-08-68.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v380/wqtrigger/test/swtor2011-12-3112-45-44-87.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v380/wqtrigger/test/swtor2011-12-3112-46-53-88.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v380/wqtrigger/test/swtor2011-12-3112-54-54-15.jpg

If anyone comes across a purple/orange moddable version please let me know! It's a very good look with hood down! :) haven't tried it on to see whether it gives the fat butt effect because I don't want to bind it yet (might sell it on the GTN) but I suspect it does give the fat butt effect :/

Damn that's a nice robe (the Trellised Jacket I mean). I've got a Guardian, but I'd gladly take the armor hit to wear that piece.

It just makes me even more sad we can't get some of the cool armored robes with hood down variations though :(

Also to the post 2 posts up, agreed its not a game-breaking issue, but also agreed that it makes no sense that if they chose 1 way to do it, they'd go with hoods up over hoods down.

If that were moddable, I would gladly wear it to 50, Medium or no Medium. I am already in Medium Sentinel armor from level 11 because it is the only moddable Jedi armor at all that I can find with the hood down.

I really hope BW takes the clear want of the JK community and gives us the hood down armor we want. They calearly understand that the Troopers and Smugglers and Bounty Hunters and Agents want to see their faces ad hair, because they gave us a helmet toggle.

And they understand that the Consulars and Sith Warriors and Sith Inquisitors want to see their faces and hair because they gave them several moddable chest pieces where the hood is down.

Right now it is only the Jedi Knight with extremely few moddable chest pieces with the hood down, and the Jedi Guardian with none. Plese let the 1/8 of your classes that can't look at the character they created join the rest of your classes in a fun MMO experience that respects character customization.

The art is done. You can add it at will. Please do the right thing and add the excellent armors you created to the game and make the Jedi Knight community happy. Thank you.

Two things I find funny about this topic:

1). I came over to knight from sith FOR the hoods. The Sith side warriors and meele are having the exact opposite complaint you guys are, where there are no high end HOODED robes or things.

2). The fact that they couldn't keep the hair and stuff because of clipping is ridiculous. If maybe this was the beginning of 3D gaming like back in Eq1 I could understand, but trying to tell me in today's modern gaming world you can't design a model with a hood and hair still intact? That's just taking the easy way out or bein lazy or an oversight.

Also a question, are there any like hooded capes for sentinels ?? With the hood up of course :)?

The...the fact that it isn't moddable makes me cry. That single piece of armor is /everything/ we want, yet are entirely denied. To make it even worse I think of all the moddable robes there are only two different variations while everything else is just a bloody recolor. It is literally absurd. There is so little variation in Jedi gear it is pathetic. I mean it looks like a Jedi sure, but the fact is some of it should have been no hood...hell if the armor I had on was no hood I'd be fine!

Or hell if hoods didn't make me look bald, that would also be okay! It is kinda silly that for a MMO this new, it handles hood effects so poorly.

Two things I find funny about this topic:

1). I came over to knight from sith FOR the hoods. The Sith side warriors and meele are having the exact opposite complaint you guys are, where there are no high end HOODED robes or things.

2). The fact that they couldn't keep the hair and stuff because of clipping is ridiculous. If maybe this was the beginning of 3D gaming like back in Eq1 I could understand, but trying to tell me in today's modern gaming world you can't design a model with a hood and hair still intact? That's just taking the easy way out or bein lazy or an oversight.

Also a question, are there any like hooded capes for sentinels ?? With the hood up of course :)?

Sentinels only have hoods too. Hooded capes or Hooded "short coat".

Now guys, remember the "hood down robes" create the horrible "large bustle" at the character's rear, making him look RIDICULOUS.

It only affects people with body type 1 or 2, but since it's the majority, would be nice to have your support :( . Anything with a belt over the robe creates that horrible effect (that doesn't display on char preview, so it's a glitch)

Sentinels only have hoods too. Hooded capes or Hooded "short coat".

Now guys, remember the "hood down robes" create the horrible "large bustle" at the character's rear, making him look RIDICULOUS.

It only affects people with body type 1 or 2, but since it's the majority, would be nice to have your support :( . Anything with a belt over the robe creates that horrible effect (that doesn't display on char preview, so it's a glitch)

The problem is that I don't think it is a bug as it is already lots of clipping when you run with robes like that. The problem is the design of the running animations and the poor physics that is simulated by cloaks. Since the physics starts under the belt compared to consular that starts over the belt the horrid physics engine can't make the collision work without severe clipping issues. Thus they had to push the back of the robe out to hide bad design, I don't understand why they put the belt outside of the robes, makes no sense at all.

Unfortunaly this will be a issue until they can fix their physics to have better collision with the rest of the body or they have to redesigne all the armors with a belt over the robe.

Yeah, they've said they wanted to implement the toggle but its too tough to do right away.

Still, it stinks they couldn't at least get a few hood down variations. I gave up my Knight at level 25. I'm playing a Warrior now, but if the hood thing doesn't get fixed I may just unsubscribe, its actually that important to me. Stupid I know, but oh well.

I understand where you're coming from completely. This problem makes a Guardian's hair choice completely irrelevant. The toggle would have been nice if they had realized the problem ahead of time, but there would be no problem at all if BioWare had simply put what was already made, which were denied variations of hood-down robes that we can already see in the game. Surely it would be easier to just add in the robes that they obviously left out of the game for untold reasons. If they do that, problem pretty much solved, right?