SWTOR is less than a month old, wow is 7 years old. Why do people compare?

Dathron

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Difference $25
nice try

but u can't play with just that, in your account "You have subscribed" will be inactive and grayed u MUST buy time-card

and u can buy wow on amazon form where i got number in $ becourse i play euro wersion and pay in euro

i even can play at russian version it's overal price like 40 $

nice try

but u can't play with just that, in your account "You have subscribed" will be inactive and grayed u MUST buy time-card

and u can buy wow on amazon form where i got number in $ becourse i play euro wersion and pay in euro

i even can play at russian version it's overal price like 40 $

I'm just going on the prices off of BLIZZARD site. I even linked it. So i'm wrong because I went to Blizzard and THEY told me the prices were this?

And you STILL didn't get my point. These comparisons are stupid.

Hehe... The Hundai may have all the bells and whistles now; however, I wouldn't want to be seen in it :p

I'll take a stripped "Beemer" and wait to add the bells and whistles. :)

Simple.

Have fun riding the bus to work.

I'll take whatever gets me from point A to B without breaking down or blowing up.

I'm just going on the prices off of BLIZZARD site.
ok np

but still price is higher, pay card that you ignored cost for like 30$ and that is fore 2 month

And you STILL didn't get my point. These comparisons are stupid.
nope you don't like car? ok np change it for any %insertnamehere% product and when you choose one or another you look for major things core issues and then for things that u count as "standart" becourse u get used to them and they prove themself as useful Edited by navarh

Because at this time in history 2012, wow exists, we are choosing between the products that are currently on the market not products from the past or potential products in the future. They are compared because they are the choices.

It's simply of matter of existence. WoW needed 7 years to develop many of the features being asked for because they were the first to pioneer them. A lot of problems existed because the solutions simply had not been thought of yet in any game. Over the course of several years, those solutions were created.

Now, those solutions DO exist in the industry. It's not a matter of Bioware identifying problems and trying to figure out how to solve them. Someone else saw these problems and solved them already, all Bioware had to do was implement them in their own game.

I believe they will be implemented eventually, but the fact is comparing a modern MMO to another modern MMO is perfectly valid, regardless of when each was launched.

I believe SWTOR's recent launch forgives it of many bugs, unintentional glitches, and balance issues, because those DO have to be found.

Leaving out so many features? Not so much.

Edited by AcousticColors

People come here from WoW and for some funny reason, they seem to think that SWTOR is a sequel to WoW and should have everything that WoW has (feature wise) + some new content for them to rush through in dmg meters mode.

They believe that SWTOR not allowing macros, addons and teleports to everywhere is a failure due to some sort of incompetence. These people are not able to see that this is a game on its own and that there are decisions behind things like not allowing macros etc.

There's nothing we can do about this, only hope that these guys go back to WoW asap and that SWTOR does not become a second WoW.

funny reason
they called quality standart's, mah fanboi

wow have point-to-point taxi why is it present in swtor? cuz that's logical solution, mah fanboi

other things that pointed by wow-player are the same, deny it as much as you want, fact won't change

Edited by navarh

It's simply of matter of existence. WoW needed 7 years to develop many of the features being asked for because they were the first to pioneer them. A lot of problems existed because the solutions simply had not been thought of yet in any game. Over the course of several years, those solutions were created.

Now, those solutions DO exist in the industry. It's not a matter of Bioware identifying problems and trying to figure out how to solve them. Someone else saw these problems and solved them already, all Bioware had to do was implement them in their own game.

I believe they will be implemented eventually, but the fact is comparing a modern MMO to another modern MMO is perfectly valid, regardless of when each was launched.

I believe SWTOR's recent launch forgives it of many bugs, unintentional glitches, and balance issues, because those DO have to be found.

Leaving out so many features? Not so much.

Good post. I feel the same way. They are both products. They are both on the shelf in the store now. When I buy one I compare the two based on what they have to offer. Buying one on promises is speculation. Some folks are ok with that but it doesn't invalidate the comparison of the 2 products.

People come here from WoW and for some funny reason, they seem to think that SWTOR is a sequel to WoW and should have everything that WoW has (feature wise) + some new content for them to rush through in dmg meters mode.

They believe that SWTOR not allowing macros, addons and teleports to everywhere is a failure due to some sort of incompetence. These people are not able to see that this is a game on its own and that there are decisions behind things like not allowing macros etc.

There's nothing we can do about this, only hope that these guys go back to WoW asap and that SWTOR does not become a second WoW.

It will not become a second WoW, it will become a ghost town of unpopulated servers, empty zones, empty queues, empty GTN, and no pool of competent/geared raiders for ops. I know that is what cretins want but EA/BioWare is a for-profit business and they want all the ex-wowers they can get. The ex-wow players $15/month is the same as the $15 from the folks wearing the magic underpants in their eyes.

I agree, it is really unfair to WOW to compare it to a complete brand new game that should feature the latest technologies and advances not to mention should've learned from all the other MMOs... So stop comparing WOW to SWTOR and compare WOW to games as old as it is.

The point is that WoW had 7 years of patches, polishing, perfecting and balancing.

SWTOR has only had a month...

I 100% agree

When I open my new burger joint I compete against the McDonalds of the 1940's.

Not today. We time travel back and start fresh!

The point is that WoW had 7 years of patches, polishing, perfecting and balancing.

SWTOR has only had a month...

It is pointless point, this game had alpha and beta testing stages. If you want beat something what is been developed for 7 years, only way do it is do it better. Current sloppy mash is far from getting even close to first WoW expansion.

As we know, first expansion for TOR is been announced.

Edited by Chaffery

I 100% agree

When I open my new burger joint I compete against the McDonalds of the 1940's.

Not today. We time travel back and start fresh!

That analogy wont work because themed 1940's burger joints are pretty successful. There's a couple in my area :)

I dunno, I really hope they don't start designing the game around addons and UI customizations. Having to download 30+ addons to play the game for me is not something I look forward to.

A simple UI mod to shrink things a little, ok. But don't come out with something that tells me to move here, the graphics on the ground tell me that, I don't need a bunch of flashy lights and annotations popping up everywhere.

SO many addons in WoW that there's no way you can effectively watch them all, no way. Screen so cluttered you can't even see whats going on, and don't give me the "oh, well you didn't have them in the right place".

SO many addons the game is literally designed around them, mechanics put in the game so you have to go download another this or that mod. Keep it so you actually have to think about something before you do it, not think about what addon you need to download to counteract a counteracting of the counteract.

WoW was not the first MMO nore was it original all WoW did was take the MMO template and improve upon it by removing things that were annoying (e.g crafting had a chance to fail) it did this with games Such as Ever Quest and so on.

SWTOR has done the same it has take the MMO TEMPLATE not copyed wow but taken the MMO TEMPLATE Which all MMO's use and removed useless stuff, ADDED its own stuff and improved upon existing stuff.

I agree with this poster 100%. World of Warcraft took an idea, hired people that knew the MMO games inside an out, and expanded on what the current MMO's had to offer to create World of Warcraft.

The problem with Bioware is that they used the same MMO template, you know the one from 2001 that Warcraft used, and created Star Wars using it not realizing that World of Warcraft is now the template for the MMO industry. When they tool the template they didnt get rid of the annoying stuff (in Swtor crafting has a chance to fail and terribly designed combat) and didn't add anything innovative to the industry (sorry, voice over using basically zoomed in character animations and dialog choices are not innovative).

actually they did "innovate" one thing.

Area Looting, Only feature of swtor that i like.

It is pointless point, this game had alpha and beta testing stages. If you want beat something what is been developed for 7 years, only way do it is do it better. Current sloppy mash is far from getting even close to first WoW expansion.

As we know, first expansion for TOR is been announced.

The WoW launch revisited.

http://vnboards.ign.com/world_of_warcraft_general_board/b19789/107608654/p1

Stormreaver (US) lagged constantly for months and months. WoW never had stable servers, there were many many times of people falling through the world, server lagging out constantly for months. Even Stormreaver had lag issues in the 40man raid instances 1.5-2years after release. It's sad when how little people do 40man raids that even those instances lag out on a daily basis.

My server was stable and responsive for two days after launch, then was down for a day and went through several months of instability. Overall, I think I've received 11 days of credit due to downtime in that first 6 months.

my server at the time "archimonde" was down for about 4 days out of the first 7.
/laugh

In these 90 or so pages I am sure this has been stated, but I will state again:

It's perfectly acceptable to compare new releases to old releases. Why? Becuase the new release had plenty of FREE research in what works and what doesnt that they can obtain simply by studying the old release games. They literally can jump light years ahead, implement the best of the already developed features and then add their own original ideas, giving them an EASY ADVANTAGE over the older release games. There is really no excuse to come out with an MMO today without the tried and true features of pre-existing MMOs. Add new innovation on top of that as gravy.

I cancelled my SWTOR sub due to lack of features that I see as standards now in MMOs (ie: Dungeon FInders), not because the game per se "sucks". Perhaps in time they will implement them and I'll take another look but as of now Id rather go back to the game I had fun in and continue there. I am not willing to miss out on content because I cant find a group in a game with dozens of servers. Or look like every other agent or deal with poorly scripted boss encounters. I expected more features simply due to the fact that THESE FEATURES ARE ALREADY IN MOST MMOS and it would have been simple to implement in SWTOR.

Anyway, have fun, keep gaming and Ill check the game out in another 6 months or so.

People are stupid.

Actually no, you're incredibly stupid.

CBR600RR

GSXR600

YZF-R6

ZX-6R

All of these are 600 CC sport bikes, they're all nearly identical. They also all came out at different time intervals.

Triumph came out with their Daytona 675R some time a few years ago and managed to match all 4 of the Japanese superbikes.

You think anyone's gonna buy a new 600cc sports if it comes out lacking "standard" features? **** no. You think MMOs are any different? People aren't stupid, YOU'RE STUPID.