Warning to Potential Buyers: the Facts about SWTOR.

Gashers

I really hate theses threads so i will post mine in bold:

There is nothing majorly wrong with this game. Yes there are some issues but i have played 19 hours into the game so far and I am happy to want to play more. The game makes you feel like you are on a journey it may not be as "open ended" as some MMOs but it is the very first MMO i have played that makes you feel like you have a purpose other then do x number of quests and kill x number of npcs in order to reach max level. If you love star wars, love a good story, and want a MMO that feels just a bit diffrent then you should get Star Wars the Old Republic i say it is one of the best MMOs to come along in a few years It is MUCH better then Star Wars Galaxies overall and that alone is a big statement If you go into this game looking for fun rather then fussing about every single issue you will enjoy it. It is a high quality game and Bioware did a great job from what i see so far. Dont listen to most of the people here who just are complaining and just go out and buy the game. It is quite fun!

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Its borderline obscene how people call the OP a lier when pretty much all he stated were simple FACTS.

This fanboyism is unbelieveable, instead of pretending all those downsides are not there they should consider aknowleding them so BW might actually someday act and get this game out of the stoneage.

Actually, calling the OP's statements "FACTS" would be the obscene part. He states a couple of "facts" that have no bearing on the game but can boil down to "why isn't this more like WoW", a couple of opinions, and a couple of utter falsehoods.

Pointing out fallacy isn't fanboyism.

WOW! (I mean WOW - not World of Warcraft), way to go on the defensive! Fair points though so lets begin:

Honestly, I've never played wow (that time I meant World of Warcraft) I'm more a LOTRO guy, so I have no idea how big Elwynn is.

It's a bit smaller than the starter planets. About the size of the swamp southwest of Bree, before the Lonely Inn....or whatever it's called. Can't remember the name. The point is, it's laughably incorrect.

Yes, you have the option to skip conversation, but not cut it out entirely which is kind of what I thought he meant. I have to be honest - I'm nearly lvl 40 now and other than the class quest and occassionaly the main empire quests, I have no interest in listening to random npcs whittering on.

Yet they do allow you to cut out the majority of the conversations....which are a key selling point for this game, which is the key differentiation point of the entire themepark MMO genre. If you have no interest, hit spacebar, 1, spacebar and move on. The fact that they added this functionality should be seen as an attempt to appease certain people. Not a game breaking feature in a game that has made this a major point of the game.

The starship is nothing but a lobby. I completely agree with OP that you can do diddly squat with it other than rail-shooter missions. Granted my only other space mmo was STO (I've not tried EVE) but even STO got space combat right, it was awesome. Here the ship doesn't even feel like a mount, other than companion quests inside it, it feels more like one of the taxis.

Coming from a LoTRO guy, this is mildly interesting. It's your house. It was always designed to be your house, and space combat is a little bit of extra functionality, not the central point of the game...unlike STO or EVE. It's the Ebon Hawk/Normandy/Campsite of this game.

EDIT: I have to add, I don't really care about swimming and why the hell would you want flying mounts (although the taxis on Alderaan are pretty sweet) other than that, I stick by my post that OP was voiceing an opinion. Granted one that brings out fanboys and haters alike, but an opinion nonetheless.

Most people don't have a problem with him voicing an opinion, other than their equally valid right to express an opinion right back. The problem is his attempt to state the "facts." The majority of his "facts" are completely irrelevant to this game, or are utterly false. As for the "facts" he posted that actually were facts? Their impact is almost entirely subjective, and of those that are absolute fact that is game diminishing....those can be found on the list of known issues that are being fixed.

Edited by Jxspyder

17 planets. Yeah…sorry, not quite. These “planets” are approximately the size of Elwynn Forest. It’s not like you can circumnavigate a planet and land your ship where you choose. Each “Planet” consists of 2-3 planes that you can walk across in about 4 minutes. Yay for being able to walk across your planet in 4 minutes.

Stopped reading right there. Get to at least level 20 before you make such statements. Planets like tatooine, alderan, hoth and more take 4 mins to get across just 1 zone (of many).

I think some of the OP's points are valid . The game still needs a hell of a lot of work to make it interesting once you reach lvl 50. Lots of other "MMo's" have real end game content to keep you interested Im really not sure this game has yet. I hope it is implamented .

All MMo's need a reason to play at max lvl . There has to be rare loot , mini games and challenging senarios where people have to play thier parts . I have done some group work with my guild and its , ok. but still nothing that has a reason for a class or any real tactics. Flashpoints are far too easy and Heroics are just DPS fests.

Open world PVP needs to be in this game with a reason to do it. Bounties need to be put in game for PVP and rewards from those encounters need to be stimulating enough to make the player want to carry on . Come on we have the ultimate PVP senario here do something interesting with it . Get this right and youll have a great game . Dont and this game will die a certain death within months.

The world needs to breathe to make it a true MMo and not just a story base multi player game where most of the customers quit 2 weeks after reaching max level.

Come on Bioware think outside the box fast before we all get to 50.

I love fanboys defending the game

The OP is right on many many points. The Ships are not ships, you don t control them.Space missions are on rails. The worlds are small and instanced/sharded. The auction house is not searchable. No LFG/LFR etc and lot of spam in /general.

The game is a glorified single player game with here and there some interactions with other players.

I also just realized that the Heroengine will never allow free flight in space. Because of that the game will never really evolve from what it is now.

Starships...[/Quote]

I totally agree with you on this topic.

17 planets...

They are a little bigger then Elwynn forest with probably about 5-6 zones each but I'm sure they have plans for expansions to increase number of planets and possibly adding to the zones.

No flying mounts,...

Really?! you want flying mounts? if they are to make flying mounts then you should go back to point 1 and just make the starships flyable and able to land them anywhere

Your character is a wimp...

You don't know how to play your class or you are in the wrong area for your level. I'm a level 26 Healing Sage currently and I can solo quests my level while my companion is off doing a skill mission.

No damage meters or other addons or any sort of customizable UI...

Damage Meters Destroy groups quickly, as everyone feels the DPS meters mean how good you are. Other Addons are part of what destroyed games such as World of warcraft where people can't play without addons and they do most of the work for you, if addons are going to be provided I think that BW/EA should be the ones to release them as options in the game. and I agree that they should make the UI customizable.

No LFG. All you see in chat is LFM and LFG spam...

I don't think they need to make anything more for this then a channel that you can join and leave and a pane like the 'who' or 'Guild' or 'Friends' panes.

I agree'd with some of yours but this is my list

-Don't need dual spec.

-Achievements may come later

-auction house/Galactic Market search would be nice

-Ability animations and cooldowns don’t sync.

-No day/night cycles on planets.

-you can swim just not fight

-Spaceship improvements not visible.

-No target of target.

-Can sit in chairs

-Voice Chat either in game or allow use of Ventrillo or others...

-Most NPCs are not targatable, they’re just as inanimate as the walls and floors.

-Game has a single-player.

-All characters look pretty much the same (all humanoid with slight cosmetic differences) -no gear appearance customization.

-The characters are extremely chatty and it’s not rare to get conversations lasting 5-7 minutes. If you’re the type of player who actually wants to play and not watch a movie, this game isn’t for you. You Can use the 'Space Bar' to skip the conversations.

Your really comparing this game to a successful MMO that has been out for many years and has changed so much over a slow period of time that everyone came to accepted it as the norm, to something that is newly developed and doesn't have people making or able to figure out how to implement the addons to the game yet. before you can compair this game to one that has been out for 5 or more years you should give them some time to get patches ready. They aren't going to implement a patch every day to fix something that they got a bunch of complaints about, they are going to look into the problem and then find the solution and work on a patch for it and while they do that they will have another couple teams working on other problems that are being voiced and try to put them all together.

In Conclusion you are Judging a game that is brand new to your favourite games.

First person who posts can have my stuff. And don’t worry, I won’t let the door hit me on the way out.

Edited by Mondred

Yup,

Brother and I were just talking, so much wasted money. Voice acting does NOT make a good MMO. Im level 27 and skipping them all now, they get so boring and repetitive.

Yup,

Your brother and you are clearly the only fanbase that matter in this. My friend and I were just talking, and felt that the VO work truly distinguishes this game from others, making it that much more enjoyable. Guess we're simply delusional. Or, maybe opinions aren't universal.

As usual all the insults rain down on the OP but hardly any of them challenge anything he has said and you know why? Cos he is correct, what a sad bunch of trolls we have on here.

You didn't read....anything in this thread, did you?

Edited by Jxspyder

There are SO many fanboys on here. Anyone who gives an opinion of the game, constructive criticism or facts has their thread littered with nonsensical posts that say they are a liar or an idiot. I'd say about 90% of the points the OP brought up were incorrect or irrelevent.

Fixed that for you.

The game has issues. But pointing out factually incorrect information isn't being a fanboy.

This is a warning to anyone who is considering buying SWTOR. Here are some things you should know about the game before you drop $60.

Starships. So misleading. Sorry, but you don’t actually get a starship. All you get is a flightpath from planet to planet that has the appearance (not functionality) of a spacecraft. You can’t control your ship manually at all. It just shoots a straight line through the galaxy and all you can see are blurred stars out the window. Want to actually CONTROL your starship? Nope, sorry. Want to FLY your starship? Nope, not happening. As if to apologize for this, BW has offered “space missions.” These also are just teases. You don’t even get to control where your ship flies in the space missions. Your ship is on “invisible rails” and all you can do is tell it to shoot. And the goofy enemy AI ships just fly right in front of you for you to shoot.

true - you really cant fly your ship. if you call flying in the missions, flying...well i feel for you. when going from planet to planet, he's correct, all it is is a graphic that shows you a blur of stars then the planet growing in size to fill your screen. So this statement is true

17 planets. Yeah…sorry, not quite. These “planets” are approximately the size of Elwynn Forest. It’s not like you can circumnavigate a planet and land your ship where you choose. Each “Planet” consists of 2-3 planes that you can walk across in about 4 minutes. Yay for being able to walk across your planet in 4 minutes.

true - however, it would take a butt ton of resources on Biowares end to simulate a round world, especially since we're really only seeing portions of the planet. I liken it to AoC's instanced zones, but larger in scope (mind you i only played the first 60days of the game and I dont know if thats still the same case now)

No flying mounts, not even at max level. NEVER. The reason why is obvious. When each “planet” is the size of Elwynn Forest, being able to actually fly would put them in perspective and show the really quick.

true - there is no flying mounts, just hover vehicles, I mean it wouldnt be starwars without hover vehicles... O.o

Your character is a wimp. Unless you have a companion with you who gets in the way and prevents you from clicking where you need to, you’re going to get owned by the mobs.

I'll go halfsies on this one with nothing else to add. =)

No damage meters or other addons or any sort of customizable UI. This translates into no legit endgame. No way of quickly seeing who the fails are in your group.

true - no add on features, but this shouldn't impact end game at all, it would just make it harder, which in a sense, we all, I'm sure, would like more of...harder content that is

No LFG. All you see in chat is LFM and LFG spam. By the way, all chat is pretty terrible. Barrens chat x10.

true - no lfg chat

false - (his opinion on providing a definition of what chat looks like) Mine is pretty helpful

No dual spec. No achievements. No searching the auction house. Ability animations and cooldowns don’t sync. No day/night cycles on planets. No swimming. Spaceship improvements not visible. No target of target. Can’t sit in chairs or even target most NPCs. They’re just as inanimate as the walls and floors. Game has a single-player feel because the servers are split into smaller servers. This is called “sharding”. Literally. There are like 3 different instances of Korriban per server.

true - no dual spec

false - achievements are called something else, Codex stuff i think

halfsies - specific auctions can be searched for, you just gotta go to the specific auction setting to search for it =P

true - sync animations are off

true - no day/night makes a sad pandaran

true - swimming? lol, i RAN across a huge lake. Died in the middle of it cause of "fatigue" I guess my character, after running through KNEE-DEEP water got so tired, he drowned...hey, it could happen!

true - wish my spaceship would show a cooler gun turret when upgrading to a more advanced gun turret O.o

true - no sitting in chairs unless yer in your ship, then you have 3 to choose from

true - some NPCs give you the finger as you try to click on them (no not seriously...)

true - sharding is causing some dramatic "im alone" feelings

All characters look pretty much the same (all humanoid with slight cosmetic differences) and no gear appearance customization. When you’re walking around the imperial fleet, all the characters will look nearly identical. No target of target. Light/dark choices are pointless. If you answer each one true, you’ll be stuck somewhere in neutral, which gives no rewards. The only way you get benefits is if you answer all dark or light choices, so it’s not much of a choice at all.

true - the character generator feels like its from the 90s, give us back the morphing bars, my toon wants high cheekbones damn it!

true - characters do look somewhat alike, but it shouldnt be hard determining who's who due to the sharding process only allowing 3 people per instance =P

halfsies - true in a sense that you have to choose light or dark to be light or dark, there is no middle ground, thats a given, you cant have a light side or dark side unless you choose

Voice acting gets so old. The characters are extremely chatty and it’s not rare to get conversations lasting 5-7 minutes. If you’re the type of player who actually wants to play and not watch a movie, this game isn’t for you. No option to skip the conversations either.

true - voice acting does get old, but its at least bearable on a once or twice go-around

false - you can skip conversations by pressing the space bar and choosing the outcome and space bar till you finish

In conclusion, this game feels like it’s still in the first month of Beta and they never took the advice of one single beta tester. It seems like they put all 300 million dollars into creating the story and voice acting, while leaving out all the basic MMO improvements that have developed in the last 5 years.

his opinion

Edited by Meluna

I agree with the space problems. If they could transplant the space system from SWG this game would be perfect.

I have no serious complaints about the ground system though.

Of course my 2all time favorite games are KOTOR and Tie Fighter

OP, so you would rather lie to people with misinformation simply because you expected this game to be an entire 100% WoW clone? I knew this was going to happen. Called it out 2 years ago. People complaining that the game is nothing but WoW with a Star Wars skin, then when the game comes out, they are going to be doing nothing but complaining because it is too different from WoW. Game comes out and what happens? I rest my case.

The space combat and ship I completely agree with. The fact that you are on rails in those space ship quests is rather dull. You also don't get to do that much in your ship at all except store your stuff and occasionally talk to your companions.

If this was expanded upon in future releases, it would be quite a gem, right now, to me, its half baked. I'll just enjoy the class stories until then.