The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bioware Please Merge Servers

Totemdancer

There are a lot of things I don't understand in these merger threads.

For one, they never seem to mention which server they are talking about when they say that group content is dead.

They never say what they're trying to do and how long it takes them to find a group for it. If you're trying to do lowbie pvp, tell us how long it takes you to Q and then how long you think is a reasonable length of time to wait

If you're trying to say that we need 1 or 2 mega servers, you're being absurd. So just stop it. Other than that, make some actual suggestions.

I suggest that Bastion be merged into Bergeron colony. And then jung-ma and po5 get put into shadowlands and jc. I don't know anything about european servers. That takes care of all the dead us servers.

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of things I don't understand in these merger threads.

For one, they never seem to mention which server they are talking about when they say that group content is dead.

They never say what they're trying to do and how long it takes them to find a group for it. If you're trying to do lowbie pvp, tell us how long it takes you to Q and then how long you think is a reasonable length of time to wait

If you're trying to say that we need 1 or 2 mega servers, you're being absurd. So just stop it. Other than that, make some actual suggestions.

I suggest that Bastion be merged into Bergeron colony. And then jung-ma and po5 get put into shadowlands and jc. I don't know anything about european servers. That takes care of all the dead us servers.

Why wouldn't you just merge Bastion and Bergeron into Harbinger. Both of them are the probably some of the lowest populated servers in the game and Harbinger has more than enough server space with all the people that have unsubbed.

If you do not and will not acknowledge the damage caused by merged servers, subsequently causing guilds to be forcibly evicted from their flagships (which is well-known to be the ONLY outcome in a merge regarding flagships) -- and the subsequent disruption it would cause in the guild membership for people leaving for being upset about the move -- then your selfishness is beyond hope and beyond argument.

We are done here.

At this point people just want an answer if merges can or can't be done. The majority of people remaining on the Light populated servers are biding their time wondering if it will or will not be done. My money is on 'No' they can't do it because of guildships and when I hear that answer I'll send my last anchor mains over to Harbinger. More than anything I want people like you to stay on the servers you feel you are fighting maintain. I also look forward to those Omega man youtube videos you will make in a year showing how you are the last person roaming empty worlds of your server (just like they did for SWG).

Bioware Please Merge Servers. Group content is dead from lack of population.

Group content is dead because of lack of group content. The people who like ops aren't here anymore and probably won't come back until there are more ops.

Forcing others to join a server they don't want to be on isn't going to help you, because they likely won't participate in the activities you like anyways.

Force me to join another server and one of two things will happen: I will either continue to play my game the way I always have and you still won't get me to join a queue.

Or I'll just get annoyed and leave all together.

I didn't say that you said it. It was said about you.

You simply do not care about the gaming experience of others because you think your preferred play style requires FORCING hundreds, if not thousands, of other players to suffer the headaches and nightmares that server merges would cause.

As long as you get the server merges you want, you couldn't care less about anyone else.

And as long as people don't get the server mergers they are asking for, you don't care about anyone else either, this argument goes both ways.

Nope, I said neither side can claim majority. What my guild finds important is only important to them. To others it may not be so we are not a majority, just a group of people that like certain things? Majority, Nope. The thing is 90% of the people playing the game don't bother with the forums so for either side (cons or pros) to claim they have the majority is incorrect

The only thing anyone can state is what they want and not claim they represent the majority. I know I don't which is why I never claim the "majority" has said this or that.

I been on these forums long enough to know neither side can accurately claim that they speak for the majority or the majority wants this or that

You replied to a reply I made to someone else. I thought you were the person I replied to. Regardless, you've still taken my comment out of context. I'll re-quote what I was replying to: "it is the guildless, random PuGers, that are behind most of these server merge demand threads." So refuting the majority semantics is refuting that guy. Not my word choice.

Edited by RobertFKennedyUS

Some styles of players may be better off having those servers merged (group content players mainly), however, those same players already have Options to go to other servers to get the playstyle they want (without forcing other players to be forced to move).

The question of "force" is irrelevant. A lot of things are done by "force" in the world and we're all better off for that. You are forced to pay taxes, obey laws and send your kids to school. Saying that something is done freely or by force is not inherently good or bad.

What people have an option to do and what they will do are completely different things, especially when you are dealing with hundreds and thousands of people. It's just not a relevant point.

What's relevant is that most players and the owners of the game are worse off with the current split East Coast servers.

The question of "force" is irrelevant. A lot of things are done by "force" in the world and we're all better off for that. You are forced to pay taxes, obey laws and send your kids to school. Saying that something is done freely or by force is not inherently good or bad.

What people have an option to do and what they will do are completely different things, especially when you are dealing with hundreds and thousands of people. It's just not a relevant point.

What's relevant is that most players and the owners of the game are worse off with the current split East Coast servers.

Exactly why they dropped the transfer rate from 1800cc to 90cc so people could easily move to high pop servers if they dont like where they currently play.

Why wouldn't you just merge Bastion and Bergeron into Harbinger. Both of them are the probably some of the lowest populated servers in the game and Harbinger has more than enough server space with all the people that have unsubbed.

Maybe because the players on Bastion and Bergeron might prefer the respectful and respectable communities on their servers and might not want to be merged into the cesspool that is Harbinger, these days.

And as long as people don't get the server mergers they are asking for, you don't care about anyone else either, this argument goes both ways.

The difference is that I am not trying to force anyone to remain on a server with a lower population than they prefer.

I fully understand and support Johnny's desire to play on a more populated server, just not at the cost of forcing Billy to suffer the headaches and nightmares that Johnny's desired server merges or mega server would cause.

I tried to point out the hypocrisy with his argument. But all he wanted to do was define my position from things I hadn't said.

Exactly why they dropped the transfer rate from 1800cc to 90cc so people could easily move to high pop servers if they dont like where they currently play.

But they can't take Guild Ships or Banks etc. It's the flip side of the same argument people are using for not wanting to merge.

Even if transfers were free, there is the problem that people can't move guilds or Ships in a transfer. That would only be theoretically possible in a merge.

If Bioware could transfer everything and people wouldn't lose anything, the mergers shouldn't be a problem. The only other reason I've seen for not merging is people don't like xyz population on certain servers.

Let's assume for arguments sake that Bio can move everything and people won't lose anything. Then the argument comes down to "I don't like that server population" vs "merging servers will help the MMO players and the health of the game". If that was the case, the game would be better served to slightly upset those who don't like a certain population vs giving other players the ability to actually play all the content.

The difference is that I am not trying to force anyone to remain on a server with a lower population than they prefer.

I fully understand and support Johnny's desire to play on a more populated server, just not at the cost of forcing Billy to suffer the headaches and nightmares that Johnny's desired server merges or mega server would cause.

There's that Johnny kid again. Damn he gets around. I wonder if it's this little Johnny

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TdhNaL-XNGg

Not even close. My comment is about how the force/freedom rhetoric is irrelevant to the issue. It makes no sense how you infer the opposite.

Edited by RobertFKennedyUS

My biggest issue with all this is that merges will only be a short term fix. I wasn't here for the earlier merges, but people still left the merged servers even with more people and pops. The same would probably happen again.

Reasons I don't want merged:

- The communities most likely wouldn't mesh very well. Each server has it's own culture and could create problems when mixed (ex: there is a group of PvPers on Ebon Hawk who sit just outside the Sith Academy, using /say and /e to talk and randomly duel, while there are people there who are trying to RP or do other stuff. I honestly think part of that group just wants to look cool..)

- similar to what others said, guilds and flagships. Like I said, I wasn't gere for previous mergers, but I've read about the nightmare that it was for guilds, and if Bioware can't transfer that stuff properly yet, they're in for a massive headache if they try (not to mention, lot of people could leave over that)

- As above, it's more a bandaid fix than anything. An attempt to keep what players they have happy as long as they can. But it didn't work too well last time, as many people still left. I'd much prefer they devote the time and resources to developing actual content to draw people in and keep them playing, like more Ops, more PvP maps, better class balance overall. It doesn't have to come all in one patch, but that would probably do more than just merging servers.

My suggestions for the time being?

- Allow Preferred (and maybe F2P to a lesser extent) more warzones per week. Atm, a non-sub can only play through the weekly, and that's it. It'd allow them to queue more often, thus potentially allowing better pops for that group (better balance would help here too)

- Allow Preferred to access SM Ops. If a preferred member (most likely former sub) has access to the Dread War questline..they can't even finish it properly because the climax of the story arc is in Dread Fortress and Dread Palace...which they cannot do. Plus, it'll give them a taste of what truly lies behind a sub. In my last Preferred phase, some guildmates were working on DvL achievements and were running KP. One tank left and needed another, and even though I'm considered the guild's best tank, I couldn't help them. Heck, I would've run it even if it meant I got no rewards for it. Had to try to find a referral code first before I could help them.

- let former subs with KotET (and thus lvl 70) who let their subs lapse access tier 1 of GC (since it seems to be sticking around), although at a slower rate, and remove Artifact Equipment Authorization, which would better enable them to have something to do at lvl 70. I know my sub will end soon due to costs (i can only do 69 day time cards), and I basically have to put my 70s aside because there isn't much I can do with them. HM FPs and uprisings and crafting, but that can only get you so far.

- lastly, devote resources to actual group content. The new Op is a good start, but more will need done to keep players subbed and playing.

Group Content that draws players is what the game really needs, not a merger

My biggest issue with all this is that merges will only be a short term fix. I wasn't here for the earlier merges, but people still left the merged servers even with more people and pops. The same would probably happen again.

Reasons I don't want merged:

- The communities most likely wouldn't mesh very well. Each server has it's own culture and could create problems when mixed (ex: there is a group of PvPers on Ebon Hawk who sit just outside the Sith Academy, using /say and /e to talk and randomly duel, while there are people there who are trying to RP or do other stuff. I honestly think part of that group just wants to look cool..)

- similar to what others said, guilds and flagships. Like I said, I wasn't gere for previous mergers, but I've read about the nightmare that it was for guilds, and if Bioware can't transfer that stuff properly yet, they're in for a massive headache if they try (not to mention, lot of people could leave over that)

- As above, it's more a bandaid fix than anything. An attempt to keep what players they have happy as long as they can. But it didn't work too well last time, as many people still left. I'd much prefer they devote the time and resources to developing actual content to draw people in and keep them playing, like more Ops, more PvP maps, better class balance overall. It doesn't have to come all in one patch, but that would probably do more than just merging servers.

My suggestions for the time being?

- Allow Preferred (and maybe F2P to a lesser extent) more warzones per week. Atm, a non-sub can only play through the weekly, and that's it. It'd allow them to queue more often, thus potentially allowing better pops for that group (better balance would help here too)

- Allow Preferred to access SM Ops. If a preferred member (most likely former sub) has access to the Dread War questline..they can't even finish it properly because the climax of the story arc is in Dread Fortress and Dread Palace...which they cannot do. Plus, it'll give them a taste of what truly lies behind a sub. In my last Preferred phase, some guildmates were working on DvL achievements and were running KP. One tank left and needed another, and even though I'm considered the guild's best tank, I couldn't help them. Heck, I would've run it even if it meant I got no rewards for it. Had to try to find a referral code first before I could help them.

- let former subs with KotET (and thus lvl 70) who let their subs lapse access tier 1 of GC (since it seems to be sticking around), although at a slower rate, and remove Artifact Equipment Authorization, which would better enable them to have something to do at lvl 70. I know my sub will end soon due to costs (i can only do 69 day time cards), and I basically have to put my 70s aside because there isn't much I can do with them. HM FPs and uprisings and crafting, but that can only get you so far.

- lastly, devote resources to actual group content. The new Op is a good start, but more will need done to keep players subbed and playing.

Group Content that draws players is what the game really needs, not a merger

I agree with it being a short term fix, it's because the game is dying from poor management and bad implementations. They would need a massive change in direction and major fixes and add a lot of MMO content for anything they do for it not be a short term fix.

I think lots of us (especially legacy player) can see just how fast the game is declining, which is a travesty and upsetting. The idea of Merges is so the remaining players can get as much time before the game is unviable on any server and they close it or reduce it to full maintenance mode on a small server to accommodate the remaining solo players.

While I disagree with your other points and conclusions, I respect them because of the way you were conscience and backed up your points.

Edited by Totemdancer

I second this.

If Bioware just acknowledged the topic and addressed it in some sort of communication to say yay or nay, then we wouldn't need so many threads.

But as demonstrated with the 5.0 outrage, they only seem to pay attention to something when there are multiple threads demanding acknowledgement.

The sooner they make a decision if they need to merge or not and then tell us, the better. I'm sure people will drop the subject for a bit once we have some news. Then people can decide if they will stick around or not.

At the moment the game feels like "that girl" you just can't shake and she's stringing you along till she finds another lover. It's not a healthy relationship and eventually you have to walk away. IMO more people are walking away then sticking around to see if things improve,

Because Bastion is truly a dead server. Bergeron is not. You could dump Bastion into Harbinger if you want, w/e, but you need more than one server for the west coast. As a million people in this thread alone have pointed out, the Harbinger has a terrible reputation.

As an aside, I thought all servers were pve/pvp instanced now. I just tried to create a character on Bastion and a popup warned me it was a pvp server. :confused:

Merge won't help for long time.

They must do something to bring players back. For now they losing them.

it might or it might not but I would prefer all US players on 1 server so we can que and so on but also if they are losing players i'm sure they might have a backup plan. They have something blocking the merge of any of the servers something has to be behind it because it's madness not to merge it's just plain old madness now with trying to get players back it's a tough ask but i'm here till the end been here since day 1 and will be here till the final straw.

Because Bastion is truly a dead server. Bergeron is not. You could dump Bastion into Harbinger if you want, w/e, but you need more than one server for the west coast. As a million people in this thread alone have pointed out, the Harbinger has a terrible reputation.

As an aside, I thought all servers were pve/pvp instanced now. I just tried to create a character on Bastion and a popup warned me it was a pvp server. :confused:

The funny thing is Harbinger used to be fine till everyone from the dead servers like POT5 transferred. So come to Harbinger so we can be really multicultural and you can share in our joyous community :eek:

Sadly I don't think the west coast can support 2 servers. As Trixxie pointed out in another thread, you could merge all of the west coast into Harbinger and it wouldn't even be half full.

Let me refer you to Torstatus where you can check the server populations and activity out to 30 days. Bergeron unfortunately doesn't once move out of low status even after the expansion launch

http://mirror.torstatus.net/begeren-colony/history/7d#!/begeren-colony/history/30d

Edited by Totemdancer

Merge won't help for long time.

They must do something to bring players back. For now they losing them.

I think they've done irreparable damage and it would take more money and time than they have to bring those players back. For now all they can do is to try and keep more people from leaving.

I agree with it being a short term fix, it's because the game is dying from poor management and bad implementations. They would need a massive change in direction and major fixes and add a lot of MMO content for anything they do for it not be a short term fix.

I think lots of us (especially legacy player) can see just how fast the game is declining, which is a travesty and upsetting. The idea of Merges is so the remaining players can get as much time before the game is unviable on any server and they close it or reduce it to full maintenance mode on a small server to accommodate the remaining solo players.

While I disagree with your other points and conclusions, I respect them because of the way you were conscience and backed up your points.

Wait, what? We can have a difference of opinion and yet still respect each other? How revolutionary! ;)

I figured my suggestions wouldn't be the most popular, but they're the ideas I developed over time during my non-sub moments, because I would wish I could do more, even if just to help others, but had so many restrictions with a limited income. And even more so now that I logged into the game and saw that I'm now preferred :(

Maybe I'll work on some extra sub benefits to compensate for if I ever present those again. But yeah, a lot more needs done In terms of content. Hopefully 5.2 will be the start of more group content...hopefully.