The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

MaximumOwnage

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're having such bad luck with 242's then you can upgrade 236's or buy/craft/claim 240's. That's more than enough for the hardest content in the game at the moment, and should let you start leveling an alt (at much faster speed now) without feeling like you're halting some critical point in your main's progression.

The main problem the game has right now isn't that end-game gearing is too difficult due to RNG (aside from getting 6 set pieces), it's that T1 and T2 rewards are crap compared with T3, which discourages alt play. 100% increased T1-T2 CXP and the CXP event will help get more of your alts to T3, but it doesn't address the core problem.

You are talking to a person who has 50 alts. Thanks for the tip, I guess I'll go lv another 50 toons more. That seems to help this expansion :p NOT

I have always geared through raiding, gone to the raid that drops the thing I need and put my effort on doing it on all alts for token transfer. My idea of fun is not "grind aimlessly for hours and get what you get". I've done all operation content on all difficulty levels and needing to gear back to that level now with a dice? no. just no.

Edited by Kiesu

Your problem op is you seem to want to gear your toon and be able to do it and other toons in a reasonable quick fashion. My question is to what end? Why would you bother?

This game doesn't have content that requires you to really get max level gear. It doesn't put out content that needs min/max. So why beat your head on the wall to try to do so?

So... read through this thread and I'm left wondering.. Is anyone really surprised? The odd band aid patch is all they can do at this point.. They sold their souls for this Command system.. Honestly, I expected them to double down on the stupid at one point or another. I was only off in the degree of magnitude.

Your problem op is you seem to want to gear your toon and be able to do it and other toons in a reasonable quick fashion. My question is to what end? Why would you bother?

This game doesn't have content that requires you to really get max level gear. It doesn't put out content that needs min/max. So why beat your head on the wall to try to do so?

I PVP 24/7. I would like to have set bonus set ASAP. 4.0 provided this and for almost everyone I know who plays this game we were happy, happy, happy. But that all changed in 5.0. There was a reason for this http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=912707 the problem is that this development team either forgot or were not here for this. And even more important now, since it seem ALOT of people are overflowing with alts since the DvsL event do we need a quicker gear grind not a longer one.

They did not over shoot this gear system a little grindy. They over shot the grind towards gear by a mammoth amount and instead of fixing it they threw some BS % bonus to boxes and command rank. Total mistake.

What was need was a massive increase to unassembled components so that people could get set bonus sets on their alts relatively quickly. And instead they did absolutely nothing to unassembled components. As a result my will to play is broken as explained in my earlier post.

This was an extremely easy fix to calm them masses but unfortunately they wanted a tweak not a fix. Shame on them.

before cxp you could run an op for 4 hours and receive nothing as well.

/shrug

That would have to be very unlucky as in 4 hours you could do 4 operations for sure and definitely get something from it.

Also the fact that in a guild you can just do a gear run for a person giving him all the gear from the ops, that way in 4 hours you would be tier 2 gear BiS

Edited by merovejec

That would have to be very unlucky as in 4 hours you could do 4 operations for sure and definitely get something from it.

Also the fact that in a guild you can just do a gear run for a person giving him all the gear from the ops, that way in 4 hours you would be tier 2 gear BiS

How about fixing the drop rate of the unassembled components and problem is fixed and we can go back to playing this game. Because for me and a lot of people like me, this system is broken. Maybe they just don't want me playing/paying for this game.

Because tokens/components are a convoluted system. It's fine for you, a veteran, but do you really wanna force all new players in the game to go through the token system in order to get their sets? Also, why should I have to give up upgrading my T2 piece to T3 because I want to gear an alt and give it sets? It discourages alts.

A better solution is an RNG safety system that guarantees T1 sets. T2 and T3 you should need to spend time in PvP and Operations, since they aren't needed for the hardest content and don't provide as big of a power increase.

Edited by Eli_Porter

I PVP 24/7. I would like to have set bonus set ASAP.

Once again, set bonuses are pretty much laughable. Take my scoundrel for instance:

2 piece bonus gives me a whopping 2% damage for 15 seconds every 30 seconds. Watch out!

4 piece gives me a 2 energy reduction on cost for one ability. I never come close to going low on energy, with or without it.

6 pieces gives me an auto crit on my main damage ability. Great right? Oh wait...it's only once per minute...with my natural crit rate, I'm already critting with that ability constantly anyway.

I really, really don't understand why everyone hangs so much of their gear argument on set bonus.

You have 40 alts and you want to be taken seriously. :eek:

What's wrong with having 40 alts? I have around 25 if I factor in all servers. BW encouraged us to make at a minimum 16 alts to get legendary status and max out the DvL event. If BW didn't want you to have 40 alts they would have a much lower server cap. The OP was playing the game a lot and enjoying it until 5.0 made alts useless. I think by virtue of having so much playtime that BW should take someone like the OP seriously...much more seriously than someone with only 1 or 2 toons since the OP has a much wider perspective on the game.

You are talking to a person who has 50 alts. Thanks for the tip, I guess I'll go lv another 50 toons more. That seems to help this expansion :p NOT

I have always geared through raiding, gone to the raid that drops the thing I need and put my effort on doing it on all alts for token transfer. My idea of fun is not "grind aimlessly for hours and get what you get". I've done all operation content on all difficulty levels and needing to gear back to that level now with a dice? no. just no.

You nailed it...the RNG factor for gearing in Ops and from what I hear in PVP is the problem. I'm a raider like you so if they just made it like it used to be with each bossing dropping a specific slot unassembled it it would solve the raiding community's issues with 5.x. I don't PVP enough to make an informed suggestion so I'll leave that up to the dedicated PVPers.

before cxp you could run an op for 4 hours and receive nothing as well.

/shrug

You couldn't beat one boss? That's not an issue with the system...that's players. In 4.0 every boss had guaranteed drops, no RNG about it...but I think you knew that.

You couldn't beat one boss? That's not an issue with the system...that's players. In 4.0 every boss had guaranteed drops, no RNG about it...but I think you knew that.

So you're saying in 4.0 every member of the raid was guaranteed a gear drop from every Ops boss? Or are you talking about comms? Because that's basically exactly what's going on now.

Edited by Vember

You quoted me even...reread what I said because that's not it.

Damn dude, you refreshing the page constantly to see if someone posted? I edited my post literally 3 seconds after I submitted it.

Anyway, on to the point - You could run four hours of ops and never see a gear drop.

Edited by Vember

Each boss would drop 2 pieces of unassembled set bonus gear - sometimes bonus gear would drop as well, but the set gear was what you were after.

So, if I got this straight...

before: 5 bosses x 2 = 10 pieces of gear

and what is it now? only the last boss drops 4 pieces in a 16-man?

That's not true unless you didn't kill a boss in 4 hours. EVERY boss you killed was guaranteed to drop a gear piece.

Yes, but not every person in the raid was guaranteed a piece of gear, were they? i didn't run many ops in 4.0 I'll admit, but before that I ran several where I never won a gear drop.

Edited by Vember

Don't you think that's a bit ridiculous, though?

I don't think they're where they need to be with GC yet, but 4 hours playtime isn't long enough to start a red alert emergency thread.

Not for PvP I don't.

For balanced PvP gear has to be a mostly non-issue. Spending a week grinding PvP should be enough to be at the level of the others. You have to earn it but you will soon enough and thats the point. She wasn't asking to be best in slot geared for ops in a week, but in PvP it matters that gear pretty quickly becomes a non-issue.

So, if I got this straight...

before: 5 bosses x 2 = 10 pieces of gear

and what is it now? only the last boss drops 4 pieces in a 16-man?

Correct...I'm not sure if the last boss drops 4 now, I think it's only 2 pieces guaranteed in 16m, but I'm not certain. And each boss previously dropped a specific item, so if you needed just the belt, you knew which bosses dropped it every time...if you needed implants, you knew exactly which bosses dropped them to get them. Loot drops were static so you could plan your Op runs according to what bosses dropped the pieces you needed.

Not for PvP I don't.

For balanced PvP gear has to be a mostly non-issue. Spending a week grinding PvP should be enough to be at the level of the others. You have to earn it but you will soon enough and thats the point. She wasn't asking to be best in slot geared for ops in a week, but in PvP it matters that gear pretty quickly becomes a non-issue.

Pvp's bigger problem is imbalanced classes. Put a veng jug in 208 or 242, he's still not going to solo kill a halfway competent merc or sniper.

Edited by Vember

So you're saying in 4.0 every member of the raid was guaranteed a gear drop from every Ops boss? Or are you talking about comms? Because that's basically exactly what's going on now.

Crsytals off every boss meant at least you made some progress towards possible upgrades. Now you can clear the place and easily be in a situation only 2 of the eight say anything resembling an upgrade or step toward one.

Also while my memory isn't great but I do recall at the end of 4.0 you actually did get a piece of loot every op. Not a set piece but there would be one with your name on it that only you could get on the last boss, and potentially other bosses as well. They weren't set but they would be MK-2 so close to BiS and better then the crystal bought pieces. So that wouldn't be totally nothing,

Yes, but not every person in the raid was guaranteed a piece of gear, were they? i didn't run many ops in 4.0 I'll admit, but before that I ran several where I never won a gear drop.

Well the Op of the day DID guarantee every player a piece of gear loot...but what you're talking about isn't the same thing...the set pieces you rolled for, you rolled against human greed, not RNG. The loot was guaranteed to drop from every boss...it isn't now. If a group wanted to gear up a new tank to help them with harder Ops, they could do it in a short amount of time because they could plan what gear that person needed...they can't now. Now it's 100% RNG.