Is it just me or is DvL just stupid?

Beakertanks

I find myself not doing endgame content when dark side is prevalent. I don't want to command level and lose the opportunity to get the light side token. I can't be the only person doing this.

Also.

They changed the math so much that it basically just alternates with no regard to what the player base is doing. This makes the whole thing just pointless.

Also also.

I know that the command ranks and gearing system is the primary focus right now. But, DvL is freaking stupid and needs to be fixed as well.

Finally.

I recommend that they give you tokens for whatever alignment you have selected whenever you level regardless of who is winning. That would make it all about the world bosses that spawn when one alignment wins. I think that would maintain the mechanic and would provide a viable reason for keeping it in the game without making it yet another pointlessly frustrating piece of game design.

I find myself not doing endgame content when dark side is prevalent. I don't want to command level and lose the opportunity to get the light side token. I can't be the only person doing this.

Also.

They changed the math so much that it basically just alternates with no regard to what the player base is doing. This makes the whole thing just pointless.

Also also.

I know that the command ranks and gearing system is the primary focus right now. But, DvL is freaking stupid and needs to be fixed as well.

Finally.

I recommend that they give you tokens for whatever alignment you have selected whenever you level regardless of who is winning. That would make it all about the world bosses that spawn when one alignment wins. I think that would maintain the mechanic and would provide a viable reason for keeping it in the game without making it yet another pointlessly frustrating piece of game design.

I'm sure you're not alone. At first it somewhat dictated what toon I would play at any given time, because like you I didn't want to miss the tokens. Frustrating to hit a command lvl and not get one especially if you only need one or two. Honestly, I just stopped caring and quit letting this silly back and forth DvL crap dictate my game play. I just play w/e toon I feel like playing knowing that eventually I will look my inventory and have some tokens.

I have to agree that DvL somewhat annoying and it's already gotten quite old. If anything, I'm sick of the crap popping up on my screen. I don't think people should be able to get every single piece of gear in a matter of days, but this system is meh.

It isn't just you.

The LS rewards are the only thing that interests me, but i can't really work to get them, because it is tied to GC, so i'm paying to wait until LS is dominant to play the game.

And putting alignment requirements on the gear is a terrible idea, you can't use the gear on newly created chars, and right now i can't even buy the gear because i have "only" 30k LS points at Light 2, and i need Light 4 to buy and use the gear, meaning everytime i get close to gaining a GC level i have to stop playing if the alignment isn't the one i need, i need to play more to get points but i can't play more if i want the tokens, terrible system.

I wouldn't put it past Bioware to have implemented this to slow players down more, on top of the onerous Galactic Command system. They didn't make this system because players would enjoy it. They made this in an attempt to slow players down and lengthen their subscription time.

So, from their perspective, this is working as intended.

Remember, Bioware Austin isn't in the business of making fun games as a means to earn profits anymore. They are now about earning profits first, with or without their players having fun.

I still don't fully understand it. However, DS has been making a serious push on harb. I saw it win twice yesterday . Normally we are LS.

Isn't that because they changed how the system works? Things are pretty even on TRE since that last patch.

Isn't that because they changed how the system works? Things are pretty even on TRE since that last patch.

Hey maybe! I have seen a fight though where numbers go up and back down. It's been neat to watch. I don't go all in LS or DS on any one character so I probably hurt the cause by being LS and picking DS options :p but you're right, it's definitely been more even.

It's pretty even on Prog too, at least when I'm on, last night was a light win and then dark was winning upto level 3 then it got weaker down to two. At that point I went to bed so I don't know who won in the end, but it was a fight which is better than the constant light wins that were happening before.

So so far since it was patched when I've been online it has been pretty even, light still seems to win more but at least the dark is scoring some victories now.

It will be interesting to see how things go when snowball season and its additional DS/LS points finishes. Will it make any difference or none at all. Even on dead servers the DS/LS indicator moves which is a bit weird as there are so few people online to influence it.

DvL makes us decide between:

• Bonuses and rewards
  • Playing what, when, and how we want

DvL is like the electoral college. It doesn't matter what the majority chooses, we're at the mercy of the outcome of some vague system and we're left to deal with the consequences until the next time when we still won't be in control of the outcome.

It's not just you, the whole system that your rewards depend on what everyone else is doing is retarded. I only wanted 5 LS tokens for a pet..twice it just bugged and gave me no token despite "my" side winning, and three or four times I had the choice of either immediately stop playing and switch to another character or accept that I will get no token on level up because the other side just has won. Combined with the rest of the GC "experience" I have effectively given up now, and practically only log in to chat with the two or three friends I have left in game. Not motivated to do anything under those conditions.

Whoever came up with that concept should have been booted out of the meeting they presented it in.

And putting alignment requirements on the gear is a terrible idea, you can't use the gear on newly created chars

You can't even use them for your companions because of the alignment restriction. I gave the lightsaber to my regular companion, he was still able to equip it but I had that gear warning flashing on his portrait and I am quite confident that it actually messed up his abilities as his DPS significantly dropped.

And putting alignment requirements on the gear is a terrible idea, you can't use the gear on newly created chars, and right now i can't even buy the gear because i have "only" 30k LS points

Alignment requirements was what it was all about 4 - 5 years ago, along with Valor requirements for pvp gear, not being able to buy a speeder until lvl 15. In the "old days" you picked up diplomacy as a crew skill and doubled up your alignment, I'm sure that's still the way to do it, tho they might have changed the skill attached to it . . .

I still don't fully understand it.

Same here. I'm stll waiting for an full official guide to it ( and yes, I've read Dulfy's guide - after not finding it in the first place, because I had never thought that DL was tied to Galactic Command ).

And putting alignment requirements on the gear is a terrible idea,

You are YEARS too late with that. There has been alignment-bound gear for ages in SWTOR. But nobody ever noticed. In fact, there are still the 2 vendors for it : The Light Side vendor and the Dark Side vendor. They have been there for a long, long time. But, as I said, nobody ever bothered.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

I still don't fully understand it. However, DS has been making a serious push on harb. I saw it win twice yesterday . Normally we are LS.

Interesting. Just the opposite on Shadowlands. If LS wins, it is rare or really late at night (around 1 a.m. server time). And after the hour of LS winning, it goes right to DS 2 or 3.

Honestly, I just assumed DS always won because the selection defaults to DS, and you have to go in and change it to LS. Learned that the hard way, after I fiddled with the interface for something else and noticed the LS button was hidden behind the minimap.

They did change something on the back side to make the losing side win more often. Its a bit of an odd thing to do in a competition based system. Weighting it so they can make sure the the system actually goes against what the gamers were choosing so they can make the losers win more often.

Its like telling the losing teams, well you lost a bunch of times in a row so this time were going to make sure you win.

I dont care for the DS/LS system the way bw designed it in 5.0 but weighting it like they have makes it seem even worse.

It is really boring saving your CXP boxes to open when your side wins. It adds nothing to the gameplay. The world bosses are pretty good but its irrelevant which side wins.

YOu don't get the tokens from the CXP boxes. You get it when you attain the command level. So if you are playing light and light side is winning (anything from 1-5 light side) you get a light side token when you ding the level. If it is neutral or dark side you get nothing. Vice versa for Dark side.

It's not just you. DvL is stupid!

I've been through two combat deployments a bunch of server merges the implosion of a massive guild of friends over drama and the core group of us survived. We have done Ops together since the beginning of this game. 5.0 killed this group. Basically only three of us left. Stupid BW. They should have listened to the feedback from the PTS that told them this and CXP was stupid.