.. and the award for Worst MMO Business Model in 2016 goes to ...

MeNaCe-NZ

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we just talk for a moment about the sheer number of votes that SWTOR received compared to the other games? I mean, I play a few of those and tbh, some of those games aren't that big of cashgrabs. Some of those games should be higher on that list. But SWTOR... is right where it belongs. Tbh, I don't know why I still sub... maybe because I have a habit of making poor life choices...

Massively's content is pretty terrible. Poor writing, all of their writers appear to be MMO-hoppers. It is really easy to write negative things and hate rather than focus on the positive aspects of something you love. If you enjoy an MMO, you should contribute financially to keep the servers running. Rift's model is so much worse, so much more of a cash grab. Look at how much a new player has to pay just to have access to all of the expansions of Rift, and then compare that to the initial cost of a new player in SWTOR.

Massively's content is pretty terrible. Poor writing, all of their writers appear to be MMO-hoppers. It is really easy to write negative things and hate rather than focus on the positive aspects of something you love. If you enjoy an MMO, you should contribute financially to keep the servers running. Rift's model is so much worse, so much more of a cash grab. Look at how much a new player has to pay just to have access to all of the expansions of Rift, and then compare that to the initial cost of a new player in SWTOR.

If it is such a poor publication, do you find it odd that BW used them as one of 3 sources quoted for the official accolades trailer. - and the first one listed at that?

If you have to take a quote from such a bad publication who only days ago gave you the award for the worst MMO business model of 2016, that doesn't speak very highly of the reviews you are getting for an expansion.

Edited by Jamtas

Doesn't WoW's free to play end at lvl 20? I haven't kept up with WoW for awhile, but if that's still the case, it doesn't get much more restrictive than that.

But WoW has never marketed itself a F2P Game, SWtOR has.

WoW has always been clear that the F2P was level capped and was only to give people a chance to see if they liked the game.

B'ah, you have any idea how much I loathe defending WoW?

All The Best

Will the only reason it recieve that many votes is because it was pick the winner. If you look at there past poll you know who ever win the award wins the poll

http://massivelyop.com/2016/12/15/massively-ops-best-of-2016-awards-best-mmo-business-model-2016/

Guild wars recieve a 1000 votes and wow recieve a 100, for best mmo, like I said who ever won the award will win the poll.

Also OP there another post about this you did not need to post another one for no reason.

Edited by commanderwar

Worst MMORPG Business Model of 2016

..snip...

You have very well deserved the worse game award

Nope, not even close to worst game. Worst business model is questionable, but at least they tried something different regardless of how it panned out. I'm all for holding BioWare Austin to account for mistakes, but truly, you're taking it over the top.

It isn't deserved in this instance.

I see a lot of discussion here about other stuff but the "award" was for "WORST MMORPG BUSINESS MODEL OF 2016".

I hope that somebody over at EA wakes the **** up and sees the missed opportunity here. This is a AAA MMO with the Star Wars IP. Let me say that again, STAR WARS IP. It should be WRECKING every other game out there. Rogue One, which is by far the worst Star Wars entry made over $340 MILLION since last Thursday yet this game is struggling? REALLY? I... MEAN... REALLY.

--------WHY DID STWOR "WIN" THIS AWARD?------

GAMBLING GAMBLING GAMBLING

Their gambling packs are TERRIBLE. They are a TERRIBLE, DISGUSTING, SHAMELESS way to squeeze as much money out of a few desperate players addicted to gambling. We ALREADY purchased the game. We ALREADY purchased your XPACS. We ALREADY purchased a subscription. But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... Add this crap for direct sale to the CM ****along with the packs and I would be much happier.... and I would pay more money. But I'm not buying garbage gambling packs.

REPUTATION AND CARTEL CERTIFICATES

Many of us spent literally THOUSANDS of DOLLARS grinding reputation within the Cartel Market. It was advertised that we would have access to the Legacy vendors on the fleet to come back and purchase special items. At some point Cartel reputation went POOF and so did Cartel Certificates. Now these vendors are just standing there taunting us saying, "hahahahahahahahaha thanks for all of your money". Talk about a ********* way to treat your customers. Paying customers. Remove the Cartel Certificate requirement for these vendors. You already have our money. Again, horrible business practice.

CARTEL DYES

Another TERRIBLE, DISGUSTING, SHAMELESS way to squeeze even MORE money from existing players. I don't mind giving them there extra $10 or $20 for something here and there but the fact that these don't UNLOCK in COLLECTIONS is SHAMEFUL. Armor unlocks. Crystals unlock. Pets unlock. etc. Cartel Dyes need to be in collections.

WEAPON TUNINGS

Same as dyes. Add these to collections.

EA needs to back off of all this gambling crap. List items directly to the Cartel Market. Add the remainder of Cartel items to Collections. Revisit the Legacy System. Revisit the Reputation system.

Instead of having a "F2P Model" they have a "**** you no matter who you are and gamble" model. It's not the same thing. Not by a long shot.

Interesting that STAR WARS THE OLD REPUBLIC got over 2000 votes while the next highest was 191 for Arch Age. Must not be much interest in all the rest of the list.

EDIT: I say this because you wouldn't vote worst model on a game you knew nothing about. Heck I never heard of many of those games ... though I played EvE online (worst lag model ... ha ha) for 2.5 years and WoW (doing same thing in so many different ways .. you could fly tho and lotsa dungeons ... some were really hard too.) for 3.5 years.

And in one sentence he says; The Old Republic and continues to err with one of the worst free-to-play-but-not-really-so-please-sub models in the genre. It’s been permanently hounded by early mistakes (buyable hot bars), and instead of rising above, it repeatedly alienates the free-to-play, cash-shop-centered playerbase it’s attracted with restriction after restriction.

I'd say just look at the game quality of some of those "cash shop" free to plays. I remember some that only let you play the starter area if you did not pay. and others with similar restrictions. Bioware did put many things on the restricted list, but made it easy (and relatively cheap) the get the ones you wanted .....

This game is too good to be free to play (RNG's and all) Look at Wow's free to play ... hah. You sure cannot go through the non existent story or get to Max Level .... well it was max level until the 70 level was released. I think it is the best 15 bucks a month I have ever paid for a game.

Call me what you will ... it's just how I feel.

Edited by Wahala

This is a AAA MMO with the Star Wars IP. Let me say that again, STAR WARS IP. It should be WRECKING every other game out there.

It's an MMO without a presence in the East Asian market - it's not going to be wrecking its competition.

Rogue One, which is by far the worst Star Wars entry made over $340 MILLION since last Thursday yet this game is struggling? REALLY? I... MEAN... REALLY

You misspelled "best in 35 years" :p

Honestly, I think the article is, overall, fair and reasonable - I hope the compromise on RNG that BW rolls out in January will alleviate most players' complaints (I know there are some hardline "scrap GC / RNG completely or I quit folks, but I think most who dislike it are amenable to a functional compromise), and that they take a look at GC passes or some kind of escrow system for CXP, but until that happens I think the criticism being brought against it is apt.

Edited by DarthDymond

Nope, not even close to worst game. Worst business model is questionable, but at least they tried something different regardless of how it panned out. I'm all for holding BioWare Austin to account for mistakes, but truly, you're taking it over the top.

It isn't deserved in this instance.

It isn't that new. PvP gear used to come like this, it was a terrible mess and people lost their minds. They actually did not take that long to abondon the rng gearing in PvP for a token system. I can't in all honestly believe they didn't know how poorly this would go over. I also can't believe after how much it was complained about they havent released their death grip on it.

The way I see it they have mismanaged this from the beginning. They allowed Beta players to see it and it was not well liked, they announced it to live players and they started to roar before it was even released, when it was released the boards blew up. Then they do podcasts to tell us they listened and are changing it only its obvious from the changes they did neither since the system that is hated is still the key gearing method. Don't claim things then do the opposite, dont tell people wait and see, then have it blow up and respond with well wait and see again...I promise this time it will be less bad....

But WoW has never marketed itself a F2P Game, SWtOR has.

WoW has always been clear that the F2P was level capped and was only to give people a chance to see if they liked the game.

B'ah, you have any idea how much I loathe defending WoW?

All The Best

I'm right there with you, but half of the crying on any mmo forum is a direct result of what WoW did to the genre. Most of this impatience for gear comes from WoW's participation trophy policy.

It's an MMO without a presence in the East Asian market - it's not going to be wrecking its competition.

You misspelled "best in 35 years" :p

Honestly, I think the article is, overall, fair and reasonable - I hope the compromise on RNG that BW rolls out in January will alleviate most players' complaints (I know there are some hardline "scrap GC / RNG completely or I quit folks, but I think most who dislike it are amenable to a functional compromise), and that they take a look at GC passes or some kind of escrow system for CXP, but until that happens I think the criticism being brought against it is apt.

Please really look at what 5.1 is bringing. Its not a compromise. Its random stacked with more random...One boss in an op is guaranteed to have loot, one. That doesn't solve a thing. Be realistic here anyone who hates relying on rng for gear will not be happy with 5.1, because it doesnt change that at all. The

A 3.000 Vote Article. What a reliable Article you found there mate. Good job. Around the Hundred Millions of Online gamesr you represent us a 3.000 Vote Article? Which most of the voters are the drama queens and kings of this Forum? Extraordinary.

P.S. Most of the games on the list have already shut down or have like 1-2 people player base. And SWTOR is the worst? I see what you did there dude.