Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

I remembered i have read something about combat in this game, posted from a developer so i made a quick search and found this:

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20110916

if you don't whant to read all the article i will just share a statement made by Mark How the Principal Lead Animator at BioWare : " A key aspect we learned early in development was that players do not enjoy having character control taken away from them because of an action or animation. "

So Bioware you are still developing the promised combat style? because the players are not enjoying it right now :)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remembered i have read something about combat in this game, posted from a developer so i made a quick search and found this:

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20110916

if you don't whant to read all the article i will just share a statement made by Mark How the Principal Lead Animator at BioWare : " A key aspect we learned early in development was that players do not enjoy having character control taken away from them because of an action or animation. "

So Bioware you are still developing the promised combat style? because the players are not enjoying it right now :)

It is still enjoyable just that people would like to have some kind of move from bioware saying they will fix it soon ...because if people end their free month and this isn't fixed it will be warhammer online all over again.

And Halo is the best FPS blah blah blah.

Popular != good.

Without being popular, you can't have actual competitive PvP as there's just not enough people playing for tournaments to be sponsored, it's that simple.

However more importantly, you can't have competitive PvP if your character doesn't even do what you tell it to do until 0.5 seconds later. The entire game becomes this messed up session of Rock Paper Scissors where you'll have to pick your next move blindly and just pray you picked the right one, it's not like you'll be allowed to react.

Edited by Zironic

Clearly it is.

WoW was designed for the lowest common denominator remember. I hope they don't do that here.

WoW was designed for the lowest common denominator yet is enjoyed by the highest as well.

Smooth combat and responsiveness has universal appeal, regardless of level of ability.

WoW was designed for the lowest common denominator yet is enjoyed by the highest as well.

Smooth combat and responsiveness has universal appeal, regardless of level of ability.

It's not responsive, it just tricked you into thinking it is.

You guys really don't get it at all...

I'm guessing the reason they would have a lot of trouble fixing this is that the animations that connect (light saber to blaster bolt, saber to saber, etc.) are based on a script initiated by the opening move.

Once the ability is selected both the character and the opponent ( either npc or player ) are forced into a script that displays the animation.

Clearly it is.

WoW was designed for the lowest common denominator remember. I hope they don't do that here.

If that's what you want, hey cool. Some don't.

And Halo is the best FPS blah blah blah.

Popular != good.

Are you sure you're not Brad McQuaid in disguise? :)

Popularity in a massively multiplayer online roleplaying game is inherently a good thing. It helps the game become better through not only more resources, but more people to make the game world more alive.

Gameplay is a big part of keeping those players around for a longer time than other things, so it has to be right. That's what this thread is about... don't dismiss it because you don't think it's important to other players. The WoW subscription numbers don't lie and it's not because it had terrible combat... :)

As the OP said, BioWare has come closer to that feel than any other game. With a few tweaks, if they're possible, it can be the best.

In terms of MMOs, yes. No other release made it to MLG or a similarly prestigious event.

Random WoW bashing is dumb, sorry.

WoW's PvP was really, really bad. If you think otherwise, well, everyone has an opinion lol.

Ever try a game with good PvP? I love WoW but the PvP is a joke, always has been. Anyone not enamored with WoW knows this...

We actually have someone saying let's try to emulate WoW's PvP....I think it's time to exit the thread. Things are getting ridiculous.

Edited by Gohlar

It's not responsive, it just tricked you into thinking it is.

You guys really don't get it at all...

So give me an MMO that did it better.

Instead of saying NO NO NO NO, look at what we've been saying over this entire thread. I don't know what your agenda is. Mine is to try to make this game better.

We don't want to go back to playing WoW, we want SW:TOR to get better. You're just shooting down everything anyone says with no constructive opinion.

Still I would rather have a delay and keep the animations, they really do make combat alot more fun to engage in. In wow I would quickly get bored with farming mobs cuz it didn't look appealing at all when killing them.

In TOR you can actually sense that your smashing through stuff with a combination of sound, animation and effects.

Sure I would love if there was no delay and no I haven't done more than 2-3 bg's so far, I'm sure it would irritate me more if I had pvped more. But honestly even in pvp everyone is at least in the same boat, it's not like anyone gets an advantage over others.

Only way I see a solution is getting used to it or find something magical that could remove the delay WITHOUT removing the animations. Removing the animations will screw the entire combat system up completely tbh.

Ye it's a tough issue :S

Edited by Blackweb

So I took my Sentinel out to check something I mentioned in the other thread.

I tossed my lightsaber at an enemy (Crippling Throw) and was unable to perform any attacks until I had caught my lightsaber.

I think this is incredibly awesome. If this is the line in the sand (as it were) for some people to go back to WoW, then.....have fun? It'll be great to log into the forums and not see thread after thread that all basically say "We want SWTOR to do <XXXXXXXXX> like WoW!!!!"

"WoW was designed for the lowest common denominator"

I've seen that come up a number of times now. Can anyone elaborate on this? I'm curious how you arrive at that conclusion.

I meant hardware and connection wise, sorry.

Should have clarified. WoW is made to be played by people with slow computers and bad connections. I personally think that design philosophy is outdated. I like the more dynamic combat in SWTOR. It looks so much better.

Edited by Gohlar

Only way I see a solution is getting used to it or find something magical that could remove the delay WITHOUT removing the animations. Removing the animations will screw the entire combat system up completely tbh.

Ye it's a tough issue :S

It would be a start if they'd modify all animations that are too long or too short now so that the animation's duration matches up with the GCD or the ability's cast time.

Sure I would love if there was no delay and no I haven't done more than 2-3 bg's so far, I'm sure it would irritate me more if I had pvped more. But honestly even in pvp everyone is at least in the same boat, it's not like anyone gets an advantage over others.

That's just plain false.

1) The different classes have different lengths on their animations and thus different delay

2) Even the mirror classes have different lengths on the animation of the same bloody ability.