Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

This thread was restarted now as it exceeded limitation. I am the OP and deeply passionate about this subject as I believe it is not only the reason why the general MMO Gamer is so frustrated coming Into any new MMO from WoW but by proxy it is also the reason we have WoW remain so strong and hold such a stranglehold on the genre.

It is beyond unbelievable that no developer to date has been successful in achieving and emulating. Perhaps even more bizarre is that no developer seemingly has even realized this obvious truth... whichever does will be cashing in "big time" as everyone is tired of WoW.

Lastly, i am at work until 6 EST but I am going to prepare a very long and detailed as well as thorough post of my thoughts in regards to the past 2000+ posts. I should mention that i have read every single post in the last thread as well as this one.

I only urge you to please:

a) Read the original thread, the key to "everything" is there and you can see the evolving understanding.

b) do not deviate the discussion. Stop the WoW bashing, comparisons etc. Stay focused on the subject at hand.

Well done - tips hat. I look forward to reading your follow up and hope it does not get buried in the next 250 pages so that I can't find it.

I agree, I posted in the last thread. I noticed that I only notice this problem with certain abilities on my trooper commando (my main). The abilities I notice it on are Mortar Volley, Full Auto, and Ion Cannon. I have to do more testing, but with the trooper it pretty much has to deal with these main abilities which are all channeled. Applying an instant ability afterwards causes a delay on the next ability. Someone corroborate this please.

Is there a way we can make a list of all of the abilities which cause gcd issues. I think that is the next step where we should take this conversation.

Post got lost quickly. Im gonna keep posting this until it is fully understood by everyone!!!

WE HAVE 2 SEPERATE ISSUES BLENDING INTO 1

1. Damage corresponding with the animations

2. Bugged execution where abilities are not instantly starting after hitting the button or not activating at all.

Now to elaborate a little bit:

1. This is a slightly different mechanic then WoW which calls for more visual appeal and will take some getting used to for sure. I personally like it and I do not want it removed..But thats just my personal preference.

2. Which is the real issue and I am sure it can be fixed with some effort from devs and I dont believe it to be a core problem. I completely agree that the attack/animation should start immediately and since its not, its causing the animations to last longer then the GCD and making some skills to not happen at all upon pressing the button...Its a bug situation and I am most positive it can be fixed!!! I dont experience this delay or no response much at all, but I would be lying if I said it never happens...

To me number 2 is effecting number 1 but they are still 2 different situations which are being combined in to 1 problem. Even if number 2 is resolved, its still going to take a little adjustment on your part to get used to but I think EVERYONE will enjoy it that much more if the abilities start imeediately and work flawlessly...I AM VERY CONFIDENT TO SAY THIS CAN/WILL BE FIX but its probably not extremely easy and there for takes some time...

I AGREE THAT A DEV WITH EXPERIENCE IN THIS DEPARTMENT NEEDS TO SPEAK TO THE COMMUNITY ON THIS

When people refer to the game being unresponsive in general, they refer to the fact that several abilities listed as 'instant' are nothing but instant, but rather have hidden cast-times that you're forced to wait through before you get your ability effect.

Then there's also that those that have actual cast times, seem to often suffer from animations longer then the cast making them drag out.

In my experience the problem is with the abilities with the longer cast times causing your instants to be delayed. I will have to play around more to test it out.

Only time I've ever had ability delay is in warzones. In flashpoints or out questing I've had it super smooth. Also noticed when my FPS drops I experience ability delay. So my computer has some to do with it.

If only more people would realize this...

I don't get the delays some of these people are talking about.

This thread is a fantastic example of why community feedback should be taken with a grain of salt.

Most literally have no idea what they are even asking for lol.

Maybe you should read more and actually watch videos before you dismiss the subject entirely...and if you still don't understand the issue...well you simply have not played enough mmos imo to know the issue we are discussing.

basically it state if you click on that ability you will be locked for 500 micro second ( 0.5 second )

if an ability state tikrate=1000 and tikcount =3 it mean it will fire 3 time at 1 second intervals .... you clearly see there is a problem there when the ability has a 2.5 second cast time.

This seriously needs to be looked into!!! Good post man

Maybe you should read more and actually watch videos before you dismiss the subject entirely...and if you still don't understand the issue...well you simply have not played enough mmos imo to know the issue we are discussing.

Half the people here are confusing animations that are too long with the game not executing abilities.

I never dismissed the issue entirely. I'm just saying there are a ton of clueless people here and BW would be wise not to take feedback from the general discussion forum.

Edited by Gohlar

Post got lost quickly. Im gonna keep posting this until it is fully understood by everyone!!!

WE HAVE 2 SEPERATE ISSUES BLENDING INTO 1

1. Damage corresponding with the animations

2. Bugged execution where abilities are not instantly starting after hitting the button or not activating at all.

Now to elaborate a little bit:

1. This is a slightly different mechanic then WoW which calls for more visual appeal and will take some getting used to for sure. I personally like it and I do not want it removed..But thats just my personal preference.

2. Which is the real issue and I am sure it can be fixed with some effort from devs and I dont believe it to be a core problem. I completely agree that the attack/animation should start immediately and since its not, its causing the animations to last longer then the GCD and making some skills to not happen at all upon pressing the button...Its a bug situation and I am most positive it can be fixed!!! I dont experience this delay or no response much at all, but I would be lying if I said it never happens...

To me number 2 is effecting number 1 but they are still 2 different situations which are being combined in to 1 problem. Even if number 2 is resolved, its still going to take a little adjustment on your part to get used to but I think EVERYONE will enjoy it that much more if the abilities start imeediately and work flawlessly...I AM VERY CONFIDENT TO SAY THIS CAN/WILL BE FIX but its probably not extremely easy and there for takes some time...

I AGREE THAT A DEV WITH EXPERIENCE IN THIS DEPARTMENT NEEDS TO SPEAK TO THE COMMUNITY ON THIS

Please don't double lost like that... This isn't 4chan no offense, if your post is relevant it will carry weight without spamming. If everyone did this we would have complete chaos.

I think the delay adds a dimension of timing to game play which will separate good players from the bad. However, the delay is kinda annoying but I've learned NOT to spam. It only happens when I'm trying to spam...just press it once.

Going to comment on the claim that the animations taking priority is a good thing for the game so we don't have the more generic / stale animations of wow. I would trade in my immoderate animations for standard looking sword slash in a heart beat. Knowing that I do not have to constantly second guess myself, looking at my bars to make sure the inputs I am making are actually going through is worth it.

I think the delay adds a dimension of timing to game play which will separate good players from the bad. However, the delay is kinda annoying but I've learned NOT to spam. It only happens when I'm trying to spam...just press it once.

This does help.

Edited by Gohlar

... As opposed to the game being fluent and snap reactions being more important than lacking reactions?

PvP isn't *********** chess. SC2 is chess.

Please don't double lost like that... This isn't 4chan no offense, if your post is relevant it will carry weight without spamming. If everyone did this we would have complete chaos.

Well it doesnt help when its the last post on the page and it gets skipped...This is a relevant post and people need to read it..period...you doing shameless bumps is no different so get off your high horse

What part of effects taking place 0.1s after i click the button rather then 0.5 is 'trickery'?

That what you think you are doing, the server decides you are doing and what someone else hence is seeing you do differs. That is tbe truth in WoW and the reason is the server acceptance of dys-synch.

It is great for PvE since avatar control feels great. It is actually quite bad in PvP - or rather really bad.

Dear Bioware,

We all realize that you put a lot of work into your fancy animations and on some level that is supposed to create immersion, but you know what really ruins immersion? Me screaming because I just had my 30th death today due to not being able to get my interrupt or a defensive cooldown off in time because of this ********.

Yours sincerely

A customer who prefers function over fancy fluff that ****s up his flow.

Hello all!

Since the previous version of this thread has hit, and gone passed the 1k mark, we have recreated it here.

When participating in the discussion, please make sure to keep your posts constructive and respectful toward others and their opinions.

Thank you!

Xcore ....really is this all Bioware has said? Come on really?

People... make sure to rate this thread too. Thank you

Fix this game!!!

That what you think you are doing, the server decides you are doing and what someone else hence is seeing you do differs. That is tbe truth in WoW and the reason is the server acceptance of dys-synch.

It is great for PvE since avatar control feels great. It is actually quite bad in PvP - or rather really bad.

This is a good point. For PvE it is fine, but yeah in PvP it stinks.

Edited by Gohlar

Having experienced Wow's unique fluidity and its instant responsiveness, I certainly can see where people are coming from. So far the small delays haven't been a problem for me but I understand that it annoys in PvP or PvE situations where exact execution is essential, often vital. I haven't gotten into the game's mechanics very elaborately (just blasting my way through levels and quests with my sorcerer) so I probably have yet to experience the biggest issues the delay causes and thus may be talking out of ignorance. However, I do think that the character's animations should properly finish before being able to perform the next ability. I mean, there's certain realism to it that characters can't just "teleport" their bodyparts in midst of another animation forming a new posture from where to perform the lastly commanded ability's animation. Maybe the fundamental problem is that the indicators informing the player about the controllability of his/her avatar are not being entirely 'honest'? Edited by Olzmo