SWTOR in the Life of a Casual

ENVISIONocity

Greetings from Jedi Covenant!

I've read this entire thread, and it's been very rewarding. I was a huge KOTOR 1 & 2 fan, so natch I showed up for BW's KOTOR 3, aka "SWTOR Classic," as a pre-order. I haven't been continually subbed since then because I'm often broke, was without a laptop for a while, etc etc, but I always come back. I played CoH, WoW, Rift, GW2, and a few others over the years, but I always find myself here, clicking on create character, and going back through the original 8 stories.

I have to admit that an advantage as a casual player is that enough time passes between my classes that this old man forgets all but the crucial points of each class— and only then when the moment's in play, with one exception:

My first character was a female Jedi Consular. An idealist and, for lack of a better term, a "goody-two shoes," as some have called that sort of thinking. And it was her encounter with her master at the end of the class story that forever etched the climax to the Jedi Consular story. She, of course, chose not to kill him. SWTOR was a lot more difficult to play in those days, having to make sure your companion was geared well, too. And I didn't know about or understand things like interrupts— so, I died. Quickly and often.

I came into CoH too late, unfortunately. I can remember when people were talking about CoH in the final days of Matrix Online. Players were switching over to that MMO, if memory serves. I didn't like it because it wasn't MXO, duh me!

It was WoW after MXO for me, but I did log into CoH toward the end. Very abandoned, and I had no clue what to do once I was in there. Would've helped to have someone, a friend, and we figure it out together.

Right there is why SWTOR did it for me from the start: by the time you get through Basic Training and are about level 10, you either already have a companion— or about to in the immediate future. They even talked with you. Scripted AI, rudimentary, but something that keeps me coming back, if only for the execution of those sections of the SWTORy. :sy_companion:

Best of all, I soon discovered, they could heal me from my bungling mad button-mashing, mouse-clicking attempts to convince anyone passing by that I know exactly what I'm doing— because, once again, I'm playing a DPS as though it's a tank. :t_biggrin:

Still worth buying the devs a pizza every month. :sy_title:

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've ventured onto an RP server in the past, but I don't think I'm a dedicated enough SW fan to fit in. (I've obviously seen all the films, I've read some of the Expanded Universe, and I played KOTOR 1 & 2, but the minutiae... Lost on me.) So I do much what you do... Envision a backstory at character creation, hold onto a sense of identity and purpose, and then let the story change that character as it goes.

Or, if I happen to have an RL friend playing with me, and we get on VOIP together while teaming up for a few missions, we'll talk out loud about the RP characteristics of the scene, like playing D&D. That's tremendously fun, but very situational.

When it comes to solo casual RPing, I've always done pretty much exactly what you're describing, so you're def not alone in that. (Although a time or two, I've just played as myself, and that's pretty fun too.)

The Progenitor is supposedly a Roleplay server.

I have at times seen people RPing. I've felt a little bad throwing snowballs at them. Maybe I was RPing a dick?

I haven't gone too far into that avenue. I did in my time in COH. Playing my female tank toon Prom Queen I usually stayed in character when teaming for raids and task forces. I got free stuff a few times from guys who thought I was a girl (yeah dude, thats not creepy at all) so I must have been doing relatively well.

In SWTOR I definitely have an idea of who my characters are, but there's definitely a lot of that influenced by the voice acting. And the classes themselves. My smuggler, Venture is a lot less Han Solo than he is Mal Reynolds, for example. He definitely wore a brown coat for a long time into his career, which was somewhat difficult at times back before the costume tabs. Right now though, in the post-Classic Ilum stories he's working for the Republic directly, so sporting a fine suit of white and red trooper armour with a sweet butt-cape after having a dream of the far future and a clone warrior and the number 77 ;)

My boosted (now) lvl 70 Jedi Guardian Togruta lady is a bit Obi-Wan. Fully light-side but definitely not stuck up, and can have a fun joke from time to time.

Don't see myself getting deep into RP but I'd definitely be up for a few group activities in character, offering quips from my smuggler or snide comments from my Sith Sorcerer.

edit: I do have an idea for an RP toon, a Dark Jedi Knight, from an aristocratic background, dedicated to justice following his Masters' deaths when he was just a boy Padawan, and his faithful droid LF-RD. ;)

Edited by craggy

Also a casual on Shadowlands... and BC... Empire on SL, Republic on BC. Although I have lvl 65s in each class, and have taken each through the first 9 chapters of KotFE, I, at this time, have no desire to bother with the most recent expansion. I did take one character further into KotFE, but I don't think I completed it.

I have done all of one Op, and the Guild that let me tag along was very nice helping me gear and letting me join in and try not to screw up too much. I think I only had one or two stupid deaths, and I don't think I caused anyone else's.

Strangely, In WoW I enjoyed healing... 5 mans, Heroics and Raids (I was part of a decent 10-man raiding guild for WotLK and Cata, and LFR'd my way through Mists). I never really "felt it" for Warlords and cancelled my account 6 months in, and have never returned. But, I have never attempted healing in SWTOR in the, maybe, couple of dozen instances I've done. I think I remember attempting Tanking once, and doing OK, but Tanking intimidates me... LOL

I only read about the first 5-6 pages of this thread because I wanted to respond to it, because it so well described me. Was anything done about that "Guild for Casuals" thing, if so, where can I find it?

Can I join the club???

:sy_title: Does anyone else use Heroics as a way to warm up before moving through standard mobs? I've been finding myself doing this more since I made up my mind to take at least one alt through the conversion to GC if I ever hope to have my own opinion on how Bioware did. Feels like I'm overpowered when I take on standard mobs after a decent heroic warmup. :w_big_grin:

I was checking out my list of UNDERachievements (since 98% of them are not achieved) and noticed that I've only played through the first 9 chapters of the KOTFE and KOTET SWTORies. Looks like I have some work to do, and Dannarah will be the one to do it. Fitting, actually, since I started Classic with an honest-to-goodness, gee-whiz full-on light-side Jedi Consular— now I'm going to be starting GC with her polar opposite in most respects, especially philosophically. :csw_yoda:

Also a casual on Shadowlands... and BC... Empire on SL, Republic on BC. Although I have lvl 65s in each class, and have taken each through the first 9 chapters of KotFE, I, at this time, have no desire to bother with the most recent expansion. I did take one character further into KotFE, but I don't think I completed it.

Was anything done about that "Guild for Casuals" thing, if so, where can I find it?

Can I join the club???

Cool idea, right? Uhm, look back through the signatures for "Mischief and Mayhem" and they may be able to help. I think one or two others were also mentioned in that same section of the discussion, Tyrloch.

And welcome to our little Cantina, where we try to keep things... Casual. :jawa_smile:

I consider myself a casual player, so I could talk about what I do when I log into the game.

Usually my first go to is to see where I am crafting wise, see what materials I have gathered while logged off on all characters.

Then I either scoop up the heroics (usually only do the first two planets on each toon, unless it is a stealth character), mess around with appearance (changing outfits, looking to complete sets on the GTN, etc) or running a character through KotFE/KotET.

I am not sure if I am going to run my other characters through the end expansions...I would like to do so, but I fear losing access to a few companions that I leveled to 50. I need those characters for crafting, and since the return terminal is not dependable I have to avoid the expansion content.

It really is a shame...if it wasnt for that I would run all my characters through the Knights series. Hopefully they change that in the future...until then I will not chance it.

After that I will usually go out to gather mats, although with the way they have now set up gathering nodes that is an exercise in frustration...I miss Yavin 4.

Put some items in the guild vault, look at what needs to be made and replenished, go grab some companion gifts if needed.

What I rarely if ever do....

Tacticals (will do these occasionally)

Flashpoints (only if a companion needs to be leveled up in influence)

GSF

Space combat missions

Decorating strongholds

Events (do them on occasion, but I loath the entire setup so usually ignore them)

Companion alerts (did a few, have little interest in most)

What I will likely NEVER do

PVP

Hard mode anything

Operations

Eternal Championship

DvL (the old event had some interest, this new system is convenient with certain crew missions but has little to no appeal to me otherwise)

Uprisings (zero interest)

One thing that concerns me is the way they produce and present group and hardcore content in this game. It seems to hold little interest with hardcore players, if this forum is any evidence, yet I fail to see how the content would appeal to casuals either.

GSF is a good example of this. IMO a complete waste of development resources, quite substantial I would assume, that produced a likely flop with respect to utilization. The stronghold decoration and crafting mechanic is another example.

Being able to replay class stories would have held a HUGE interest to me, but no such luck. Crafting is a mess at this point, and heroics still contain the same annoying bottlenecks and inconsistent difficulties that limit me to the first two planets for sanity's sake.

At any rate, I digress...

I only read about the first 5-6 pages of this thread because I wanted to respond to it, because it so well described me. Was anything done about that "Guild for Casuals" thing, if so, where can I find it?

Can I join the club???

Welcome to our "Casual Corner!" Corvibean and I do have a guild that is really just us, and our myriad of alts. Anyone who wants a guild just for the XP, or to enjoy some tomfoolery in guild chat now and then, is more than welcome to join us. Mischief and Mayhem on Pub side, and More Mischief and Mayhem on Imp side. I think some others in our little chat group here have a guild or two as well.

I don't care about promoting our guild, growing it, making it L33T, or any of that buttmunchery. Our goal was simply to have a place we could plop our alts, and if like-minded people wanted a landing spot, it would be there. I'm not against doing group content, or grouping up to help people, I just don't believe it should be a requirement of any guild membership. What I've actually been doing, I have all of my toons but one in our guild, and have 1 toon in a much larger guild for group content when I'm in the mood. Another awesomely sarcastic group of shenanigan makers called Lords of Anarchy.

Anyway, sorry I haven't responded more the last couple days, RL has grabbed my attention' I am almost done decorating! Way behind this year, usually do it week of/after Thanksgiving. I will try to catch up on the posts I've missed and respond accordingly soon.

Anyone who wants a landing spot, can search us on Shadowlands. Or, get really wild and crazy, and spread your alts around a few guilds. Meet some amazing people doing that too!

:sy_title: Does anyone else use Heroics as a way to warm up before moving through standard mobs? I've been finding myself doing this more since I made up my mind to take at least one alt through the conversion to GC if I ever hope to have my own opinion on how Bioware did. Feels like I'm overpowered when I take on standard mobs after a decent heroic warmup. :w_big_grin:

I was checking out my list of UNDERachievements (since 98% of them are not achieved) and noticed that I've only played through the first 9 chapters of the KOTFE and KOTET SWTORies. Looks like I have some work to do, and Dannarah will be the one to do it. Fitting, actually, since I started Classic with an honest-to-goodness, gee-whiz full-on light-side Jedi Consular— now I'm going to be starting GC with her polar opposite in most respects, especially philosophically. :csw_yoda:

In another thread I discussed grinding Heroics for crystals (I still call them commendations) to gear up pre-5.0. I used to run the full list one a week, now I only run them for gear, for low level alts, and when it's the bonus activity for the day in GC. On lowbies I ususall run through them when I finish up a planet, not before. Grinding them all at once, I found I'd out level the gear they'd drop pretty quickly, before I finished 1 tier I'd be onto the next. While leveling there's no better way for solo players to gear. The drops are always better than anything you can mod/enhance at that level.

As far as role-playing.... only in my own mind. Would you believe there are rules to serious roleplay? Things you can/cannot/should/shouldn't say or do to maintain the immersion. That's way too strict for me. You come to roleplay with Star Wars fans, you best come correct!

That said, my JK is a female Twi-lek and as such, cavorts around the galaxy in a revealing top, reflecting her cultural heritage or whatever; my trooper dresses in full white and red armor at all times, even though my legacy color scheme is black and red; my Consular dresses in a simple light robe; my BH wears heavy techy-looking gear; my Cyborg smuggler has heavy facial scarring and one of the Cartel Market cybernetic legs (I like to think he exploded himself somehow as a kid and is missing pieces); my Warrior wears a giant horned voice-altering helmet.

Also the Consular, Smuggler and Trooper are all brothers and share derivations of my name for their first names. They're the only ones on whom I display my legacy surname (Skybreaker: they hail from Tatooine)

For those interested, I went ahead and created a channel called CasualCorner. If you would like to join the channel, you type /cjoin CasualCorner, (case sensitive I think!) and it will say in yellow text in your chat window that you successfully joined the channel. Everyone who joins the channel, can then chat with each other on that "frequency" and see when each other logs in.

How to chat in the channel depends on if you have joined any other channels, and how many. If you have never joined an additional channel (other than general, trade, etc) it should default to 4. So, you'd type /4 and hit enter and your chat bar should change to the channel name. If you have other channels, it will be a higher number. Figured this was a way we could all connect guild or not. Obviously, this is on Shadowlands, and I did create it on Pub and Imp sides.

Would be funny if that channel already existed and people are on it. LOL:eek:

Edited by ChristienB

For those interested, I went ahead and created a channel called CasualCorner. If you would like to join the channel, you type /cjoin CasualCorner, (case sensitive I think!) and it will say in yellow text in your chat window that you successfully joined the channel. Everyone who joins the channel, can then chat with each other on that "frequency" and see when each other logs in.

How to chat in the channel depends on if you have joined any other channels, and how many. If you have never joined an additional channel (other than general, trade, etc) it should default to 4. So, you'd type /4 and hit enter and your chat bar should change to the channel name. If you have other channels, it will be a higher number. Figured this was a way we could all connect guild or not. Obviously, this is on Shadowlands, and I did create it on Pub and Imp sides.

Would be funny if that channel already existed and people are on it. LOL:eek:

Cool beans. I'll check in later begging for guild invites!

As a solo player who admits that I have to keep my world/area map open ALL the time, I did want to mention that there is one other "map" that I have used since I first stumbled across it a couple years back. While the artist decided NOT to do one for the GC SWTORy (KOTFE/KOTET), this is a fantastic reference for those who love the Classic SWTORy as much as I do.

http://dreamingeisha.deviantart.com/art/SWTOR-Story-Progression-Planets-and-Flashpoints-418077574 :sy_darkside:

this is a fantastic reference for those who love the Classic SWTORy as much as I do.

http://dreamingeisha.deviantart.com/art/SWTOR-Story-Progression-Planets-and-Flashpoints-418077574 :sy_darkside:

I've never seen this! Wow, I've literally never played it that way. Sounds like I've got an alt to make! Maybe it'll all finally make sense in all its details if I do the flashpoints in proper order...

Can I join the club???

Welcome indeed!

Also, I'm sorry beforehand for replying to everything in one post, but I suspect that no one ( including me) wants to really see a full page( maybe not a full page) of posts with my name on it lol

*Snip*Would be funny if that channel already existed and people are on it. LOL:eek:

I will join as soon as I can, well , if I can figure it out, and if I can't, it's all on me, since your way of explaining was excellent!

*edit* joined one one toon, and now, I'm gonna put the rest of my toons in that chat:D

Thank you kindly, it's bookmarked!

Edited by djungelvraaal

:sy_galaxy: Is this proving true for any/everyone else? As long as I do the class story, the planetary arc, and at least two heroics per planet, I seem to run about 9-10 levels above any given planet's max level— making for a reasonably smooth story progression overall for this old solo player. I will typically "gear up" as my character reaches 18, 26 or 28?, and then either 42 or 48, depending on the class. After that, I think I gear up further for PVE content at 55 or 60— again, depending on how a given alt is progressing through the "story intermissions," shall we say.

:sy_havoc: Digression:

You'd think that after 5 years of playing, even casually, I'd understand mob control. I seem to have no issues with single opponents, but I lose the plot outside of that. And it isn't for lack of Bioware providing the abilities— I just can't wrap my head around it beyond the rudimentary stuns that come from some of the abilities. Not knowing or understanding how to better utilize crowd control abilities doesn't detract from my enjoyment, that's for sure. Just means that I have to work harder in some situations than I would have to, otherwise.

But still.

I mean, how much cooler the SWTORy would be if your alt had this officer up in the air, three others cowering in terror, while you beat down this wanna-be gang leader...! :w_cool:

Here's how it usually goes with me: I pull off the crowd stun, yayyy me! Now I can beat on this NPC... and off I go with my mad skillz clicking and tapping and setting off every button that glows. Hey! This is awesome!

Whelp! There I go again! Somewhere there in my impromptu "rotation," I set off an AOE that lets the mob recover from the stun before I'm ready to deal with them. Ugh! :jawa_redface:

Everyyyyy time.

I meant official sources. I mean, they did proper class stories - but never did hint towards an "meta-story" of that all.

Instead, people played in various stages of ... something ... To this day, I'm still not sure what kind of stages Balmorra Empire and Balmorra Republic are. And I didn't see Taris Empire yet.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

:sy_galaxy: Is this proving true for any/everyone else? As long as I do the class story, the planetary arc, and at least two heroics per planet, I seem to run about 9-10 levels above any given planet's max level— making for a reasonably smooth story progression overall for this old solo player. I will typically "gear up" as my character reaches 18, 26 or 28?, and then either 42 or 48, depending on the class. After that, I think I gear up further for PVE content at 55 or 60— again, depending on how a given alt is progressing through the "story intermissions," shall we say.

That's pretty common. Basically you stay on level only if you do the planetary and class missions. I can't verify this because I'm always doing additional missions and Heroics for gear. The starter worlds were especially frustrating before 5.0, when you had to pick an advanced class at level 10. I'd always, even on my very first toon, hit 10 way before finishing the first world. Storywise, especially for the Jedi/Sith classes, if you picked your AC before certain story events, it breaks the immersion. They wanted you to get to a trainer on the fleet to pick your AC but I'm always there way before even leaving.

::sy_havoc: Digression:

You'd think that after 5 years of playing, even casually, I'd understand mob control. I seem to have no issues with single opponents, but I lose the plot outside of that. And it isn't for lack of Bioware providing the abilities— I just can't wrap my head around it beyond the rudimentary stuns that come from some of the abilities. Not knowing or understanding how to better utilize crowd control abilities doesn't detract from my enjoyment, that's for sure. Just means that I have to work harder in some situations than I would have to, otherwise.

But still.

I mean, how much cooler the SWTORy would be if your alt had this officer up in the air, three others cowering in terror, while you beat down this wanna-be gang leader...! :w_cool:

Here's how it usually goes with me: I pull off the crowd stun, yayyy me! Now I can beat on this NPC... and off I go with my mad skillz clicking and tapping and setting off every button that glows. Hey! This is awesome!

Whelp! There I go again! Somewhere there in my impromptu "rotation," I set off an AOE that lets the mob recover from the stun before I'm ready to deal with them. Ugh! :jawa_redface:

Everyyyyy time.

Common "rookie" mistake. Those AoE attacks are very tempting, especially Death from Above, the BH one. Everyone does that. It's a big faux pas in a group, when someone stuns a mob and someone else breaks it with an AoE. I'd say when doing PvE, if they're all close enough, open with it, but otherwise avoid it. The exception being the one for Jedi Consulars/Sith Assassins, called Force in Balance on the JC, dunno what it is on the Assassin. It grants you health relative tot the damage it does and is one of, if not the most powerful AoE attack of all classes.

I meant official sources. I mean, they did proper class stories - but never did hint towards an "meta-story" of that all.

Instead, people played in various stages of ... something ... To this day, I'm still not sure what kind of stages Balmorra Empire and Balmorra Republic are. And I didn't see Taris Empire yet.

That's one of many reasons why I really respect the SWTOR fan- and playerbase, because they have been so willing to pick up the ball and run with it when it comes to SWTORy progression.

And for 98% of the missions, they are arranged so that you get to explore most of any given planet. Now, we have the option to hide "Exploratory" missions, of course.

I think it's different trying to establish an overarching or "meta-story" for Classic because there are 8 different stories. Some few cross paths with the companions of other classes. But each class has its own driving story. After that, you're dealing with the expansions, each with their own singular goal and focus. Hutt Cartel, Revan, etc. Now, with Galactic Command now in full operation, the "meta-story" becomes that of the "Outlander."

But for me, the Flashpoints server as an "intermission" through the story. I just don't spend a lot of time in them, so I'd be clueless as to where each FP falls within the chronology of events of SWTOR, whether Classic or Galactic Command.

In the end, though, someone thought enough of the STWORies to take the incredible amount of time to design these roadmaps and then offer them to other players. Perhaps Bioware would think it a good idea to not just focus on people who YouTube and Twitch about SWTOR, but also put together a decent collection of these player-based playing aids, either through a beginner's portal, or some other practical means.

And that HAS to include the Stream Dream Team Bingo Game!!

Lengthy as the original post was, I quite enjoyed reading the whole of it.

Having my core companions taken from me and not officially returned is something that really bothers me. You are quite right in seeing KotFE and KotET as a separate game. Part of me wishes I had never started that story line on some of my characters and I wish I had used tokens for that as you suggested.

That idea would've saved me a lot of heartache if I may say such a thing.

In a sense I envy you, because I think it would be great to enjoy the game in such a casual fashion, but I suppose I am too driven or goal oriented to do that, at least for now (age will catch up with me at some point I'm sure). Still, as much as I enjoy operations and such, the story and atmosphere of SWTOR were always a big pull for me. It really is a shame to have to leave it behind now but also that's life.

In a sense I envy you, because I think it would be great to enjoy the game in such a casual fashion, but I suppose I am too driven or goal oriented to do that, at least for now (age will catch up with me at some point I'm sure). Still, as much as I enjoy operations and such, the story and atmosphere of SWTOR were always a big pull for me. It really is a shame to have to leave it behind now but also that's life.

I have phases when I get too goal oriented. What has helped immensely this year, I have been much busier in RL and haven't been able to be in the game anywhere near as much. That makes my play time more fun, and I don't burn out and such. Maybe all you need is a break, we all take them now and then, and that's OK. Who knows what you will feel/want 3/6/more months down the road. Best of luck wherever your virtual feet land next.

I have phases when I get too goal oriented. What has helped immensely this year, I have been much busier in RL and haven't been able to be in the game anywhere near as much. That makes my play time more fun, and I don't burn out and such. Maybe all you need is a break, we all take them now and then, and that's OK. Who knows what you will feel/want 3/6/more months down the road. Best of luck wherever your virtual feet land next.

Heh, I wish that were true, but I actually just came back from a break of a few months just before 5.0 so I was fresh and ready to dive in...sadly when I dived into the 5.0 pool, the water wasn't quite as deep as I thought it would be.

Heh, I wish that were true, but I actually just came back from a break of a few months just before 5.0 so I was fresh and ready to dive in...sadly when I dived into the 5.0 pool, the water wasn't quite as deep as I thought it would be.

They say there's a fine line between absence makes the heart grow fonder and familiarity breeds contempt. :rak_03:

But I do think you'll be missed by those who ran with you and shared chats. You can't spend that much time with others and not build a camaraderie between each other in this or any other online gaming community.

I guess that's where I'm envious of you: for your connectiveness with so many other players, and launching yourself into those areas of gameplay that I likely will never see as someone who plays casually. :sy_companion:

It's players like you who I want to have at the front lines of the hotspots across the Galaxy, quite frankly. Not my sort! :ph_thank_you:

Maybe once Bioware sorts out the companion reintegration you'll reconsider retirement. :sy_starship:

I guess that's where I'm envious of you: for your connectiveness with so many other players, and launching yourself into those areas of gameplay that I likely will never see as someone who plays casually. :sy_companion:

I wouldn't say never. You have already made connections in the game via this thread. This threat actually reinvigorated me and my love of the game. Not wanting to run content with other people doesn't mean no connections. :o

There are times I want to group, and then there are times I just want to go disappear into the story and not be distracted by anyone/thing. Either way, no matter the mood, part of what has kept me here are the people I've met in the game, and the shared love of the Star Wars brand itself. You just never know what the future may bring, and where it may lead you. :cool:

Edited by ChristienB