SWTOR in the Life of a Casual

ENVISIONocity

:sy_galaxy: Hey, do any of you come into the character creation of your alts with a pretty good idea of how that character will be (not counting the nuances their choices will season that idea with, though) by the time you start pulling them out of the feature options? Or, do you wait to see what comes out of your character creation?

Not a signing off. Just me shuttin' up so someone else can get a word or two in edge-wise. :jawa_redface:

To answer your question, I do something similar, as in I decide I want to play a class (usually for a specific spec I haven't played yet), and I go from there. I don't really know how my character will evolve, even right after creating and entering the world with the first quest. It takes the first few levels, as I start to make dialogue choices, that shapes where I go with that toon. Basically, whatever my mood is in those first few levels, that is what forms the basis of the continuing play style with that toon.

While I do have the funny toons, with the names for comedy effect, I also have my serious toons that reflect tastes in novels, etc. Again, it all depends on the moment: am I in whimsical just go out and blow off steam mode? Or, am I in the mood to REALLY blow off steam, and power through a story for a complete escape from stress, etc?

Now, to address the last sentence of what I quoted from you above, you certainly don't have to cut anything short on our account! It's been fun reading all these stories, opinions, and just general friendly banter. :csw_yoda:

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and one thing I hate are the people who keep screaming "space bar space bar space bar." I enjoy doing an Op now and then, but I just got to the point where it wasn't worth it to put up with the hardcore crowd who were always in a major hurry. I like to stop and smell the roses, so to speak. There are times I might whip through some content, but not that often.

One of my biggest dreads of finding myself in. Do you just bear with it to the end, or do you somehow manage to excuse yourself from there?

I think at this point, I only spacebar through those conversations that aren't understandable except in the translation, and just read the subtitle, and spacebar onwards. Everything else is cinema, people. Don't be those people who skip through a movie. Ugh!

Okay, there is one other time I'll spacebar. :jawa_redface:

Sometimes I want to peek at where a particular choice goes next, and then resetting the conversation to check a different choice, and making my choice at that point. I'll spacebar through these types of situations, I'll confess. :w_embarrass:

But SWTOR's stole this casual's heart and I plan on seeing you here five years from now if the opportunity is here.

Not a signing off. Just me shuttin' up so someone else can get a word or two in edge-wise. :jawa_redface:

I like your long posts! They're always well written, and fun to read. I agree that the voice actors in this game are really good.

When it comes to starting a new alt, I usually don't really think about more than a few things, what class, what side, what gender... and if it's a male, he gets a red mohawk!

I've never played Matrix online, is it user friendly? I'm asking that because I recently tried Mass effect for pc, and that map drives me mad!

<Znip>:mon_cool:

Hey there my friend; Sounds like you were the intended Targeted Gamer, You, me and all others that recognize themselves in your story. Even tho my side dish initially was pvp it became my main course as the stories became The Story. The sad thing being even tho the "new" focus is said to be Story, we still get the short end of the stick:eek:

Edited by t-darko

I've never played Matrix online, is it user friendly? I'm asking that because I recently tried Mass effect for pc, and that map drives me mad!

Sadly, Matrix Online has been off the grid for several years now and lives on through Youtube videos. But they were right about one thing: when you saw an agent... run! I only ever beat an agent twice.

But the Live Events could be a great carryover into SWTOR with devs logging in as major characters of either the Empire or Republic throughout the year to carry out major missions with the playerbase. Something similar to the world bosses that appear after either the Light or Dark Side wins.

Maybe this time it's a major offensive against a bold intrusion of the Empire. Next time, an incursion into the Republic to rescue a high-level Empire official that we all know from gameplay. There are numerous possibilities and plenty of stories that could be developed as once-only types of events. It would let the Developers directly interact with their playerbase, and I'm sure everyone would enjoy the experience. Even twice a year seems reasonable, at least in my mind.

Hey there my friend; Sounds like you were the intended Targeted Gamer, You, me and all others that recognize themselves in your story. Even tho my side dish initially was pvp it became my main course as the stories became The Story. The sad thing being even tho the "new" focus is said to be Story, we still get the short end of the stick:eek:

I'm inclined to think that in many (if not most) ways, SWTOR was lightning in a jar for Bioware, and it's now come down to the nasty business of a sequel to extend that flash of lightning. Galactic Command is the sequel they came up with, and like the vast majority of sequels, it may not be finding the audience that SWTOR Classic found. If GC fails, will Bioware have learned from the experience enough to put out another follow-up that, this time, recaptures the heart and soul of SWTOR Classic? Only time will tell, and I'm more than sufficiently preoccupied with what I still have to accomplish under Classic to be impacted at this point.

Take, for example, the movie Alien. Most people will tell you that Aliens was far better than the original. Another example is The Terminator, which was a wicked movie, but nothing compared to the sequel, T2.

On the other hand, the Star Trek movies are known for their fail-success-fail-success run, where every even-numbered sequel was a success (not sure about the rebooted Star Trek movies).

The level of binge consumption is a whole other side of this. The playerbase clearly can devour the content faster than Bioware can issue it. Think of the person who spends a couple hours preparing this delicious meal that will take a fraction of that to be eaten up. Your feasting guests may feel full from your hard-work, but that hunger is going to return, and it could easily turn into you spending all your time in the kitchen not only preparing meals— but trying to stay creative with each and every one so that it doesn't become chicken feed in the eyes of your guests.

My days of spending 6 hours or more in a game pretty much came to their end early on in my days on WOW. I marvel at people who can pop into SWTOR and grind away through the game in a race to the finish line, realize "that's it" and either get frustrated that now they have to do it all over again with another alt (they don't have to grind-rush to the end; they choose to as their play-style), and then again. And again.

As I and others have mentioned earlier in this discussion, will never run out of things to do— even if we only stick with SWTOR classic.

Maybe playing casually has its advantages. I don't mind eating out at a fancy restaurant once in a while— but if I did it all the time, I'd eventually get tired of it and... quite honestly, be a malcontent about the apparent lack of bountiful meal while that quiet couple over at the other table seem to be enjoying their visit and meal immensely.

But I digress. ;)

As usual. :jawa_redface:

Maybe this time it's a major offensive against a bold intrusion of the Empire. Next time, an incursion into the Republic to rescue a high-level Empire official that we all know from gameplay. There are numerous possibilities and plenty of stories that could be developed as once-only types of events. It would let the Developers directly interact with their playerbase, and I'm sure everyone would enjoy the experience. Even twice a year seems reasonable, at least in my mind.

This type of thing you describe here, would be amazing! Not only would it allow the Devs to interact directly with the player-base, it would go a long way to showing the players that the Devs truly do care and love the game too. As you say, it could be even twice a year, but at least something other than a live-stream that is still so sterile and only feels of PR. Having a Dev actually hop in the game now and then, and run something with players would really be a boost to the over all morale I think (for both players AND Devs).

Maybe playing casually has its advantages. I don't mind eating out at a fancy restaurant once in a while— but if I did it all the time, I'd eventually get tired of it and... quite honestly, be a malcontent about the apparent lack of bountiful meal while that quiet couple over at the other table seem to be enjoying their visit and meal immensely.

But I digress. ;)

As usual. :jawa_redface:

I still binge on some things in SWTOR. When KOTET dropped, I did all the chapters in 1 marathon run. But, the expansions are really geared toward that, the way they flow, etc. But, I love that I always have my 1-50 story to fall back on and go exploring in again. The last 2 expansions for me are like those fancy restaurants... great to go visit, but not to live in.

Welcome to the conversation Darko! I have a love/hate relationship with PvP: It loves to hate me. LOL

I will partake of it now and then, and it doesn't really make me crazy like it does other people. What frustrates me about PvP isn't actually doing it. It's the people who are constantly barking orders, insults, etc, rather than actually trying to TEACH people how to play the game. I've seen people get really worked up, and yes, I suppose I should admit, those are the people I tend to enjoy egging on, just a smidge. :p

Like ChristienB, I want to thank you and welcome you, Darko, to our ongoing discussion of SWTOR in the life of a casual player. I look forward to more about your own experiences, thoughts, and suggestions in the days ahead! :sy_companion:

Overall an enjoyable post and many of the story aspects you mentioned are the same to me. I also felt SWTOR "raised the bar" in MMORPGs with their eight great stories and fully voice animated cut scenes. I also tried to go back to WoW (twice) and felt that the quality of the storytelling in SWTOR had spoiled me :) The only other game that comes close (for me) is GW2, but my enjoyment of GW2 comes from a mix of great story and improved game dynamics (like "no taping").

I can totally understand why you'd shy away from KOTFE and KOTET due to "clinging to companions", I loved all my companions too :) I will say your choice of "testing the waters" of KOTFE/KOTET first with your Sith Marauder is a good choice (story wise), but saying why beyond that would be a spoiler :)

I'd say do it with that new character, and then you can use that to judge if you want to do it again with other characters.

Overall an enjoyable post and many of the story aspects you mentioned are the same to me. I also felt SWTOR "raised the bar" in MMORPGs with their eight great stories and fully voice animated cut scenes. I also tried to go back to WoW (twice) and felt that the quality of the storytelling in SWTOR had spoiled me :) The only other game that comes close (for me) is GW2, but my enjoyment of GW2 comes from a mix of great story and improved game dynamics (like "no taping").

I can totally understand why you'd shy away from KOTFE and KOTET due to "clinging to companions", I loved all my companions too :) I will say your choice of "testing the waters" of KOTFE/KOTET first with your Sith Marauder is a good choice (story wise), but saying why beyond that would be a spoiler :)

I'd say do it with that new character, and then you can use that to judge if you want to do it again with other characters.

Thank you for that, NSStember. And welcome to our discussion!

I found GW2 a marked improvement over the original Guild Wars, and I've purchased every expansion that studio has released— even though I rarely play GW and only occasionally jump into GW2. That's a fantastic graphics engine, for anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of logging into that game. Seems like there was some sort of talk back at the start of the Guild Wars games that it developers who had become unhappy with the constraints of WOW set out to take MMO graphics to the next level. I'm going on strictly memory here, though, so any Google search can either verify or deny that.

SWTOR would look amazing in that engine, I think— so long as the characters don't go everywhere looking like ballerinas standing on their tiptoes. :t_confused:

Up until Dannarah, the Marauder I'm hoping will be leaving Nar Shadda by this weekend (because I know The Works missions are coming and those can sometimes feel plodding), I've refused to cross any of my Classic alts until whenever they will all play into the sequel to Classic— Galactic Command (KOTFE and KOTET so far) .

Can you imagine going to a Star Wars movie and everyone you've watched in the previous movie is gone. You're watching a whole different story from what you just watched when Classic was released to the awaiting public. Some of the people return during this sequel, but your other favorites are nowhere to be found. Maybe one was a Love Interest of the alt, and you bought tickets to the sequel to see what happens next. Except they don't show up at all. It's as if they never even existed in the previous movie, Classic.

I don't want to know what happens ahead of time— I can discover that for myself as I play out the story they've developed for the sequel, Galactic Command.

But I do want to know where they are. And my alt would want to know, too. These are people they've been comrades with, lovers with, and tenuous allies with during the course of the Classic story.

So I continue to hope that this happens, and then the next adventure can begin. Some companions died, some die during the course of Galactic Command. The rest are either enemies now, or continued friends.

Blah-blah-blah...

Anyhow, what's everyone's plans this weekend? In-game goals? Me, I just want to finish up Nar Shadda. :rak_eek:

Got 3 imps, sin, BH and Merc to start Chapter 2. I LOATHE Imp Taris with a passion hotter than a nova. My guys have been stalled off Alderaan for a while now, so I'm going to have to bite the bullet, esp for the sin, because I've never levelled one before. But if I get it over with, I can have Christmas on Corellia. Only consolation on Taris is the dark side option at the end, as payback for the whole bloody mess.

I will partake of it now and then, and it doesn't really make me crazy like it does other people. What frustrates me about PvP isn't actually doing it. It's the people who are constantly barking orders, insults, etc, rather than actually trying to TEACH people how to play the game. I've seen people get really worked up, and yes, I suppose I should admit, those are the people I tend to enjoy egging on, just a smidge. :p

Christien and I used to be in a guild where they took a tongue in cheek approach to PvP and I admit, it was the only time I really enjoyed doing it. We were the PINK v P and we had all dyed our pvp gear obnoxious colors of pink. I cringed every time I put that pastel pink and white gear on, but it really was a lot of fun, I watched "hardcore pvpers" literally leave the moment they saw us because we weren't taking it seriously enough.

Doing Ops, unless Chris was in the group with me, was also something of a chore since most of the rest were the kind who wanted you to spacebar thru the cinematics and I refused to do so, usually because I had never seen it before and I wanted to WATCH dangit! Chris always agreed with me so they would shut up, but if I was there without him they'd try to bully me at times. Made it so I didn't like doing Ops much. Same with Flashpoints if someone was running me thru it. my first flashpoint was like that. I had to go back and do it solo because when I did it with the person who was "helping" me, I had to spacebar thru everything and thus had absolutely no idea what the flashpoint was about, or what I was supposed to be doing. Made it rather disappointing to be honest.

I have a ton of fun with swtor, I love it. I like making these crazy names that are just FUNNY, altho I do try to have the name match what kind of character they are. I'm enjoying the Life Day festival right now *buffs her Special Snowflake title with her sleeve*, and I LOVE esc out of convos and trying different alternatives, the snark you find that way!!! LOL

I agree the voice overs have been fantastic altho I'm telling you, the first time I did the Trooper line and heard Jorgin, no lie, Chris can attest to this since we were in skype at the time, I yelled out, "LASSIE!!!" then I had to explain that the voice actor played a detective lassiter on Psych. LOL

Christien and I used to be in a guild where they took a tongue in cheek approach to PvP and I admit, it was the only time I really enjoyed doing it. We were the PINK v P and we had all dyed our pvp gear obnoxious colors of pink. I cringed every time I put that pastel pink and white gear on, but it really was a lot of fun, I watched "hardcore pvpers" literally leave the moment they saw us because we weren't taking it seriously enough.

Doing Ops, unless Chris was in the group with me, was also something of a chore since most of the rest were the kind who wanted you to spacebar thru the cinematics and I refused to do so, usually because I had never seen it before and I wanted to WATCH dangit! Chris always agreed with me so they would shut up, but if I was there without him they'd try to bully me at times. Made it so I didn't like doing Ops much. Same with Flashpoints if someone was running me thru it. my first flashpoint was like that. I had to go back and do it solo because when I did it with the person who was "helping" me, I had to spacebar thru everything and thus had absolutely no idea what the flashpoint was about, or what I was supposed to be doing. Made it rather disappointing to be honest.

I have a ton of fun with swtor, I love it. I like making these crazy names that are just FUNNY, altho I do try to have the name match what kind of character they are. I'm enjoying the Life Day festival right now *buffs her Special Snowflake title with her sleeve*, and I LOVE esc out of convos and trying different alternatives, the snark you find that way!!! LOL

I agree the voice overs have been fantastic altho I'm telling you, the first time I did the Trooper line and heard Jorgin, no lie, Chris can attest to this since we were in skype at the time, I yelled out, "LASSIE!!!" then I had to explain that the voice actor played a detective lassiter on Psych. LOL

Absolutely ENJOYED hearing about your experience, Corvibean, and this is the best part about a discussion like this: such diverse stories, even with their common threads!

It also goes to show how bad of an influence Chris has been in SWTOR, making as though the game can actually be fun and enjoyable for a player. What are they thinking? We're supposed to be disgruntled, angry, and downright fed-up with this game!! :rak_05:

And are you a casual player or a regularly-scheduled programming kind of player, Corvibean? Either way, let me welcome you to our secret little public discussion here. :jawa_biggrin:

Absolutely ENJOYED hearing about your experience, Corvibean, and this is the best part about a discussion like this: such diverse stories, even with their common threads!

It also goes to show how bad of an influence Chris has been in SWTOR, making as though the game can actually be fun and enjoyable for a player. What are they thinking? We're supposed to be disgruntled, angry, and downright fed-up with this game!! :rak_05:

And are you a casual player or a regularly-scheduled programming kind of player, Corvibean? Either way, let me welcome you to our secret little public discussion here. :jawa_biggrin:

Christien is SUCH a bad influence! YUP! He really aught to be ashamed of himself. Dragging me into swtor and getting me all addicted and stuffs.

I am definitely a casual player. I'm the other half of the guild Chris talks about, the guild of TWO peoples!... and a ton of alts... :D I'm a stay at home mom so I play swtor as a way to relieve frustration. I tell people that the only reason my children are still alive is because I can go into swtor and destroy droids. I play when the mood strikes me, and mostly play the first part of the game. in fact, I don't hav ANY toons that have finished the whole game. I think I'm two expansions behind on the two toons I had taken into endgame land. lol I prefer the first part. so much more fun.

Welcome Corvibean!

Just like Envisionocity, I really enjoyed reading your story. And while I really dislike pink, and don't really care for pvp in this particular game, I could completely see myself doing pvp in pink with you guys!

And, as for end game, well, eh,I prefer the original class stories( I just started a new smuggler!)

And, as for end game, well, eh,I prefer the original class stories( I just started a new smuggler!)

I prefer the original class stories as well. However, I really REALLY want to get a trooper done all the way thru and into Endgame Land because apparently if you do a female trooper and have a love interest with Jorgan it's quite the emotional reunion when you get him back in the expansions and I want to see that.

My sorc is STILL waiting, very impatiently, to get her husband Andronikas back and she's not happy about it AT ALL.