SWTOR in the Life of a Casual

ENVISIONocity

For those interested, I went ahead and created a channel called CasualCorner. If you would like to join the channel, you type /cjoin CasualCorner, (case sensitive I think!) and it will say in yellow text in your chat window that you successfully joined the channel. Everyone who joins the channel, can then chat with each other on that "frequency" and see when each other logs in.

Thank you! I "joined" the channel a few days ago and have been doing a shout-out in case anyone else might be listening. ;)

Also, I wanted to mention that I went through the entire discussion up to this point, grabbed what I hope are seen as "highlights" from the discussion for anyone coming across the topic now who might not be inclined to read through 6 pages of dialogue.

These highlights are now all listed at the end of the original post of this topic. As long as Bioware allows me to edit the post, I'll strive to keep it updated for as long as people engage in the discussion. :sy_companion:

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They say there's a fine line between absence makes the heart grow fonder and familiarity breeds contempt. :rak_03:

But I do think you'll be missed by those who ran with you and shared chats. You can't spend that much time with others and not build a camaraderie between each other in this or any other online gaming community.

I guess that's where I'm envious of you: for your connectiveness with so many other players, and launching yourself into those areas of gameplay that I likely will never see as someone who plays casually. :sy_companion:

It's players like you who I want to have at the front lines of the hotspots across the Galaxy, quite frankly. Not my sort! :ph_thank_you:

Maybe once Bioware sorts out the companion reintegration you'll reconsider retirement. :sy_starship:

Thank you, I guess you can't make friends with everybody and I realise that.

My stance has always been that I really do like SWTOR a lot and hope to come back to it. I didn't wish for it to die out when 5.0 launched. Sure, philosophically for me it might as well in its current iteration but I'd rather the game go on so those who enjoy it can still do so until maybe one day the game takes a turn again in a direction that I'm happy to follow.

I have strong criticism, but I am looking for reasons to come back. I want to come back. Just not under this RNG umbrella which essentially took the main activity (gearing up alts) away from me, without giving me something in return. Hopefully things will change sooner than later but we'll have to see.

But I really hope SWTOR survives this debacle.

Thank you, I guess you can't make friends with everybody and I realise that.

My stance has always been that I really do like SWTOR a lot and hope to come back to it. I didn't wish for it to die out when 5.0 launched. Sure, philosophically for me it might as well in its current iteration but I'd rather the game go on so those who enjoy it can still do so until maybe one day the game takes a turn again in a direction that I'm happy to follow.

I have strong criticism, but I am looking for reasons to come back. I want to come back. Just not under this RNG umbrella which essentially took the main activity (gearing up alts) away from me, without giving me something in return. Hopefully things will change sooner than later but we'll have to see.

But I really hope SWTOR survives this debacle.

I appreciated you taking the time to explain more about what you're experiencing as a SWTOR player, Tsillah, and can actually understand in a limited way why you are feeling like you've gone as far as you reasonably can, given the current state of the game.

Not because I've even made it to endgame content and experienced what it's like to earn GCp, but because in similar ways, I've had the same experience. A real-world example: I gave up on cable TV and satellite TV years ago and haven't subscribed since. It wasn't for lack of content, that's for sure. Just not the content *I* was looking for, and I couldn't keep justifying paying out the ever-increasing costs of keeping it when I had no interest in what I was getting for my money. If that ever changes, maybe I'll return to the television-viewing mob.

If a person is playing SWTOR for the endgame, it seems to me like it has to achieve critical mass at some point. Maybe that's what people refer to as the "grind" itself.

What I mean is that with Classic, you have the added diversity of 8 different class stories that you could play through to get to the endgame. With Galactic Command (KOTFE/KOTET), you have a single story which— in spite of the three or four choices you can make with each step in a conversation— bottlenecks things from an altoholic's (like me) point of view. Gone is the option to switch to another class story when you get worn out from grinding away on a given class.

In all fairness, that's a pretty unavoidable distinction. At the risk of repeating myself: Under Classic, I have 40 alts and 8 different stories to progress through. Under GC, I have 40 alts and ONE story to progress for every single one of them.

Now factor in the game weariness that comes from doing endtime content again and again and again and ... well, those who are here for the endgame know already how it feels.

I'm particularly looking forward to seeing/hearing more about what Bioware will do regarding Legacy and GCp to make the process more "alt-friendly," even though I never play endgame content. I care for the players who subscribe specifically for endgame.

I just don't see how an endgame-based play is sustainable any more than the drive for rising profits in the business world— at some point, you go as far as you're going to with profits. At some point, end game will give all it can and then what? Raise the level cap, rinse, repeat?

Too, this is a new system for SWTOR, and I would expect to see Bioware continue to tweak the system in the months ahead as they see (and hear back) how it has been working outside of theorycrafting (if that's the right term to use here) in a room of developers. Right now we're into the new system all of a month so far— not nearly enough time to collect and collate the data spooling in from across the servers, in my opinion. If, after, oh, six months maybe? Bioware hasn't done anything to help the quality-of-life aspects for those who are here for the endgame content, this becomes a much different conversation (again, in my own opinion).

Does this imply my encouraging you to stick with the current situation, stay subscribed, and hang in there because everything will get better— please don't take it that way. If you are not getting a decent return on your investment, it only makes sense to stop that investment unless you're so well-off financially that you can hemorrhage money.

As ChristienB mentioned above, and I concur, take the break. Go enjoy the sights and gain some new perspective on things. You may find another online game to be a better investment for your hard-earned money, but you will never forget your time here, or that feeling of swinging a lightsaber for the first time. Among other amazing memories you've built during your time here, and the friendships you've enjoyed.

Better to step away while you still think of SWTOR fondly, than to allow disappointment turn to discontent, and discontent to bitterness, and finally the persistence of that bitterness ruining all of those great memories you've accumulated.

And although I cannot truly say that I can fully relate to your plight (because I lack the discipline to even make it to endgame, doh!), I can appreciate the frustration and the reaching for a reason that will get you over this obstacle in your path to enjoying SWTOR.

I wish there was something I could say that would help bolster you, because SWTOR needs you and others like you out there on the front line of the Galaxy, like I said before, pushing the game engine and system to its limits so that the rest of us have a smoother game for your efforts.

And I hope the Developers appreciate that aspect as I do.

All the best for you, Tsillah, and others in the same place as you right now. :sy_title:

PS (Just previewed this post, and see that I better issue another apology for yet another long-winded post.)

If a person is playing SWTOR for the endgame, it seems to me like it has to achieve critical mass at some point. Maybe that's what people refer to as the "grind" itself.

What I mean is that with Classic, you have the added diversity of 8 different class stories that you could play through to get to the endgame. With Galactic Command (KOTFE/KOTET), you have a single story which— in spite of the three or four choices you can make with each step in a conversation— bottlenecks things from an altoholic's (like me) point of view. Gone is the option to switch to another class story when you get worn out from grinding away on a given class.

In all fairness, that's a pretty unavoidable distinction. At the risk of repeating myself: Under Classic, I have 40 alts and 8 different stories to progress through. Under GC, I have 40 alts and ONE story to progress for every single one of them.

You hit some particularly resonating notes, especially in the parts I quoted here.

It's not sustainable to play endgame in SWTOR when the activities are years old. It's for those reasons I do not limit myself to it. I enjoy the stories, particularly the original class stories, I had 34 alts at some point as well and I really enjoyed the Stronghold housing. I put quite a bit of work in my strongholds. I even dabbled in pvp from time to time but I find it rather one-dimensional in SWTOR.

So here's the reality for a player such as myself. The operations are old, the flash points are old, the strongholds are old, the new stories are a single story that I find not worthwhile repeating more than a couple of times.

In that context gearing up alts, or in other words my account, instead of gearing up a single main character became the remedy, that give a more robust reason to play. The possibility to gear alts up relatively quickly made the goals achievable and have some excitement to it, as you could see the progress you made towards it. I had a plan and it was working.

It's that exactly that the new RNG system in GC took away from me as a player of this game. I no longer have what gave me excitement and got nothing in return that could replace it. Focusing on one character does not excite me, but that's the name of the game in 5.0

I have played the game much more casually in the past though. I was not big on raiding when I started but it grew that way first out of curiosity and then out of necessity more or less. But the reason why I cannot go back to playing it more casually or rather without worrying about gearing is because the game no longer offers enough for me. I guess that's the issue for me in a nutshell. I have no more back up plan if you will.

Good evening, everyone!

As you may remember, I'm currently progressing my very first (in around 60-65 different alts over the last five years, including later deleteds) full-dark alt through the entire SWTORy right now (GC included), and have found the story both refreshing and unexpectedly entertaining!

I put the wraps on Hoth and am now on Belsavis with a newfound mission and motivation, and am actually eager for my next opportunity to log back in and see what happens next. :jawa_biggrin:

My Marauder is livid, and the gates of hell appear to cower before her rage and craving for revenge following her betrayal in the post-Hoth mission at Quesh as she turns her attention now to taking out Darth Baras.

Sidenote: It was especially satisfying for some weird reason to get Quinn's hopes all up that something might happen between him and my Marauder gal, and then flat-out telling him that his opportunity is past and that she's lost interest. Of course that could now be called a factor in what he does later, but it was SO worth it. Now, why can't she romance Pierce? /sadface

I don't agree with everything she's saying and/or doing, but am finding her twisted just enough to keep me looking forward to what she's going to say or do next. :jawa_cool:

Good evening, everyone!

As you may remember, I'm currently progressing my very first (in around 60-65 different alts over the last five years, including later deleteds) full-dark alt through the entire SWTORy right now (GC included), and have found the story both refreshing and unexpectedly entertaining!

I put the wraps on Hoth and am now on Belsavis with a newfound mission and motivation, and am actually eager for my next opportunity to log back in and see what happens next. :jawa_biggrin:

My Marauder is livid, and the gates of hell appear to cower before her rage and craving for revenge following her betrayal in the post-Hoth mission at Quesh as she turns her attention now to taking out Darth Baras.

Sidenote: It was especially satisfying for some weird reason to get Quinn's hopes all up that something might happen between him and my Marauder gal, and then flat-out telling him that his opportunity is past and that she's lost interest. Of course that could now be called a factor in what he does later, but it was SO worth it. Now, why can't she romance Pierce? /sadface

I don't agree with everything she's saying and/or doing, but am finding her twisted just enough to keep me looking forward to what she's going to say or do next. :jawa_cool:

Hehe, I had that experience about 6-7 months ago when I started playing full light side characters for the first time :)

I'm a casual player who can only play like 10 hours a week give or take.

I have never been and I will never be stat-wise or rotation-wise or gear-wise... I just want to have fun... even when I die a shameful death I have fun. And I'm having a lot of them lately, because Warzones is the only thing I can play to at least get a GC level every week with two or three of my characters (I refuse ignoring my alts).

I don't want the gear to play the hard content of the game. I want the good looking gear to dress my characters! And I want the gifts, pets, mounts, reputation items and schematcis just to complete personal collections. I would need a better CXP income from Heroics and Daily Missions so I can't stop being an impediment in Warzones :o

I'm a casual player who can only play like 10 hours a week give or take.

I have never been and I will never be stat-wise or rotation-wise or gear-wise... I just want to have fun... even when I die a shameful death I have fun. And I'm having a lot of them lately, because Warzones is the only thing I can play to at least get a GC level every week with two or three of my characters (I refuse ignoring my alts).

I don't want the gear to play the hard content of the game. I want the good looking gear to dress my characters! And I want the gifts, pets, mounts, reputation items and schematcis just to complete personal collections. I would need a better CXP income from Heroics and Daily Missions so I can't stop being an impediment in Warzones :o

A kindred solo after my own heart!! :jawa_biggrin:

I typically have about an hour each evening after work (job demands 50-60 hrs per week) to give to reading/playing the SWTORy myself, although right now I'm on the last half of my annual 2-week vay-cay and am devoting probably more time playing than I should be.

Your mentioning that even when you die "a shameful death" you still have fun (me, too!) reminds me of a recent conversation my Marauder had with a mission objective that was wickedly humorous and unexpected:

Dannarah (Sith Marauder): You're eager to die.

Marshal Ruger: No, I'm just disinclined to make a show of it.

Rather priceless! Can't believe I've never had that conversation a single time in the five years I've played so far!!

Welcome to the Discussion, Jacob_Cora!! :t_cool:

I agree for most of them - but I disagree with those "story FPs" like "False Emperor".

I just wished they had done much more like "Hammer Station" or "Mandalorean Raiders".

Oh wow! I completely forgot about the "False Emperor" Flashpoint!

But I can't remember if I ever did either "Hammer Station" (seems like I have) or "Mandalorean Raiders" (can't recall at all). Grabs notepad and pen, jots those down on my handy-dandy Iwanna Do list. :sy_spacestation:

Oh wow! I completely forgot about the "False Emperor" Flashpoint!

But I can't remember if I ever did either "Hammer Station" (seems like I have) or "Mandalorean Raiders" (can't recall at all). Grabs notepad and pen, jots those down on my handy-dandy Iwanna Do list. :sy_spacestation:

You can look under Legacy...and see if you did them . eh...on the left side...they keep tabs of your progress...and achievement and which fp and stuff like that . Look there :)

You can look under Legacy...and see if you did them . eh...on the left side...they keep tabs of your progress...and achievement and which fp and stuff like that . Look there :)

Oh no, not that section! Last time I dared enter into that woeful chamber of deep, dark secrets, I left nearly blinded by all the zero percentages. :jawa_redface:

:sy_title: No better time than this season of giving to ask my kindred solos and fellow casuals what tops your list so far in quality-of-life adjustments or additions from SWTOR's developers?

And since I asked, I'll go first and say there have been a couple things:

1) The reduction of time to near zero for transport (went from a 30-minute cooldown down to like 10 seconds);

2) (This one is more of an embarrassingly recent discovery for me personally) Finding out that for a pittance (IMO) of CM credits, I was able to purchase legacy-wide rights to purchases off the Cartel Market. I shudder to think of the amount of money I spent before that single everyone-but-me-knew-this facet with repeated purchases of outfits and mounts, especially.

I'm sure some of you will mention other QOL improvements which you have appreciated that will have me going "Yeah! THAT!!!!" :w_tongue:

:sy_title: No better time than this season of giving to ask my kindred solos and fellow casuals what tops your list so far in quality-of-life adjustments or additions from SWTOR's developers?

I would like a system that informs you about the side missions you haven't done/found in every planet. A check list or something.

With my 4th imperial character I found a small area with a bunch of quests in Dromund Kaas (near Kaas City) I had never seen before. Today, with my 5th republican character I have found a mission in the Thul Palace with Jace Macolm I have never done before!! What else could I be missing?? My exploration skills are really terrible, so a way to know where the missions are would be nice.

I would like a system that informs you about the side missions you haven't done/found in every planet. A check list or something.

With my 4th imperial character I found a small area with a bunch of quests in Dromund Kaas (near Kaas City) I had never seen before. Today, with my 5th republican character I have found a mission in the Thul Palace with Jace Macolm I have never done before!! What else could I be missing?? My exploration skills are really terrible, so a way to know where the missions are would be nice.

Hmm. Usually, when you're progressing through the areas of the SWTORy, and obtaining your Class and Planetary missions, you'll be taken through the entire map save for a few spots. Side missions should be spotted where you are getting your primary missions. Some players focus on the class and planet missions, though— especially during double-xp events.

The other thing you might want to check is: open your map and look in the upper right for "Exploration Missions" to see if that box is unchecked. I believe that when Bioware revamped XP earnings, they defaulted exploration missions (side missions) OFF because they aren't necessary for leveling. Instead, they provide additional SWTORies that take you into areas you now will usually miss out on.

Personally, I tend to do more side- and Exploration Missions with my stealthies since they need a small boost in earnings from sneaking past far more mobs than my non-stealth classes, such as my current Marauder.

Let me know if that helps. Otherwise, one of our fellow casuals may weigh in on this with more helpful info. :sy_companion:

Thanks for your answer! I always check the "Exploration Missions" thing. It should be checked by default ¬¬.

The missions I found in Dromudn Kass are in a small encampment outside the main city. No quest from Kaas City takes you there... I found it by pure luck! :)

Thanks for your answer! I always check the "Exploration Missions" thing. It should be checked by default ¬¬.

The missions I found in Dromudn Kass are in a small encampment outside the main city. No quest from Kaas City takes you there... I found it by pure luck! :)

Back when I started playing 5 years back, I picked up a copy of a book called "Star Wars: The Old Republic Explorer's Guide" and it's an amazingly thorough reference work complete with maps and points of interest. You might want to pick up what has to be the closest to an "official" game guide for the Classic SWTORy when it comes to areas. This will not be a class guide or specific mission guide, and certain NPCs are now no longer where they are listed in the book, but don't let this discourage you from checking it-- especially for the price it goes for now. It's proven its worth many times for me over the last 5 years.

(I removed the "tracking" and "referral" part of the URL above so you can have a clean link.)

May the Force be with you!

Edited by ENVISIONocity

I think I've come a bit late to this party but hello all.

I've been gaming for quite a while. And for a time I was a hard core raider in WOW, but that's going back a bit.

I think online gaming (MMO's) has evolved a lot since then. I think the player base is changing. I think there was a survey that indicated 80% or higher in this game were non raiders. But over 50 % of active forum posters were raiders. So that side is by far more vocal, but not necessarily reflective of the larger player base. So I think of these games as no longer being casual or hardcore. But more of game style--PVP, Raiding, and the rest of the game that I would refer to as Story (not wishing to confuse with SWTOR using it to describe different levels of play).

It always surprised me that all of these, be they WoW or ESO or SWTOR or any other popular game chose to view raiding or specifically grouping to be the pinnacle of their game. I've long hoped for a game that would view solo as being of equal value to group play. SWTOR brought me in early and I have to admit it has provided the best leveling experience of any game I've played. I left the game after hitting the wall one always hits in such games, you reach level max and now are expected to group/raid to progress. (I'm focusing my discussion on PVE as I don't really PVP).

I came back because of the story focus. But will be leaving again as said focus is again about grouping/raiding

I should state my reasons for liking solo--

While raiding I actually played the game less, I only logged in to raid or prepare food to raid etc. Now I play much more.

You can't really enjoy the content, you're focus is just the boss or mobs

You're no longer the character/toon you're just a role: dps/healing/tank

Sometimes you're not even that, sometimes you're a type of dps melee/range etc. or an off tank etc.

The game constricts to specific roles within encounters.

You have to spend too much time on builds. Your playtime is based on your class/role, some encounters you fit others you don't

You can't simply play when you want; you have to play on a schedule.

Pugging leads to a whole lot of difficulties/ idiots/ griefing/ getting kicked

Most issues arise from raiding based encounters; I think the majority or raiders (and I was one) consider themselves superior because the majority of games have taught them to be so (because end game encounters/gear all cater to them)

Now I know most will say MMO, so of course those who raid/group should be the chief recipients of end game content. But I think over the many years of online gaming, the idea that the highest content must be for raiders or require groups is slowly changing. I think that is reflected in the numbers I mentioned in the beginning. Most games, certainly of this size, are unfortunately far back in the curve. Devs still feel on the whole that there must be content that can only be experience with others, and that this content is generally the most significant in their game.

My point here is not that there shouldn't be grouping or raids. My point is that to enjoy the content as a solo experience should be treated with equal value. There are many innovative ways I think to enjoy grouping. I think guilds are a great social experience. But I firmly believe that designing an online game with the idea that the most important content (meaning what comes after leveling) has to be restricted to group/raid play is archaic think and does not service the majority of the player base properly. That's just my opinion of course. It's just a change in viewpoint. Raid/Group/Solo are equal. Yes you can design more complicated content for groups, but that doesn't mean a solo version has to be any less challenging.

As to the current stat of the game,

The recent chapters were extremely well done. But after completing them, well, there's not really much for me to do.

Galactic Command summarizes the options--

Operations, not for me obviously

Warzones, not for me obviously

Starfighter (not really sure what this is, I assume its like PVP but in ships?)

Uprisings, group content only

Chapters, well I'm afraid I can't progress very far. I really dislike the fact that we can't use our main companion. As I have several alts to enjoy the other classes/story lines, I spent most of my companion influence on one main companion per toon. But to progress you have to level whichever toon is your companion per chapters (and most of those are very low in influence with me so I get crushed pretty easily even though I'm in 228 gear or higher). So most of the time if not all the time you can't use the companion you've helped to level, one which you may enjoy a lot more than the story line ones. So I'm basically stuck on Chapter 3, not going anywhere.

Flashpoints, this I can do. I can solo and use my preferred companion.

Planetary missions, this I can also do.

So in summary, the content I can enjoy is basically what I enjoyed prior to the Eternal Throne. Which while I still don't mind running once in a while , is becoming stale and I'm certainly not prepared to just repeat that to earn enough crates to do what? I should mention of course there is crafting. And of course one can continue to level toons, but again after leveling, there is nothing to do.

This is of course just my experience. So I will be leaving after my sub runs out, but as I really enjoy the story and that part of this game, I will of course come back if there is more content to solo.

I wanted to take a few moments to update my fellow casuals and other interested readers that I am in the process of completing the Ilum SWTORYline, which, I think, will complete the Classic SWTORy before I move on to Rise of the Hutt Cartel.

I'm presently at a total playtime of just over 2 Days, 22 hours, and 19mins.

Being on vacation has helped shorten that up, because normally I'm able to get in an hour or so of SWTOR a day, and I've been playing around 2-3 hours per day. I have been sticking with the Class SWTORy and the Planetary Arcs, with a smattering of Heroic Missions during the progression to 50 or so, and landed some remarkable greens that I couldn't improve on until I just yesterday reached level 65 gear. I passed on better gear when it meant that I would be wearing a different chest or leg piece, and made up the difference with the stab buffs.

After gearing up with 65 armor modifications, I proceeded to muck up my hotbar commands and ended up wasting most of Ilum trying to put things back where they were. I still haven't got it right for my muscle memory, but I think I've managed to at least find something that vaguely resembles what it was. Duh me!!

I'm progressing through Ilum in Story Mode, I guess it's called. I am able to summon a Terminobot to act like two more companions rolled into one. It feels long, but I wonder if that's because it has been so long (no pun intended) since I ran Ilum. Sort of the "Are we there yet?" conundrum when driving someplace new feels the longest that first drive there.

I mean, it's definitely been a long time since I've been to Ilum. Like waaaaaaay back. My usual modus operandi is to run an alt through their Class story, and stop there, only going on into Rise of the Hutt and Shadow or Revan, what? twice, maybe?

I wish I could explain why I am so satisfied with everything in Classic SWTOR, or why I've been disinclined to go the full distance. Classic just has everything I enjoy in an online game, I guess. I don't group with others, but always find it interesting to have all these players running around me as I progress through the Star Wars galaxy— throwing a haphazard buff where I can get lucky enough to click on a person.

But back to the task on-hand: Ilum, as I watch this alt become the first to go to the end of the available SWTORy.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled program.

Just popped in to wish my fellow casuals a happy new year!

Also, I've discovered a few things about myself when it comes to SWTOR( better late than never)

I used to play WoW, and I loved the pvp, however, ever since I started playing this game, I've pretty much stayed away from pvp, it's just not been for me here, the other day, I all of a sudden was having fun with it( queued up for the points) as a healer no less! And this is coming from someone who's been playing this game on and off since not too long after launch, but just I only this year leveled my first ever healer , and, who would have thought, that that's what was needed for me to find pvp fun in here.

Although, some things never change, just like in so many other games, people don't really peel for their healer... and of course blame the healer for them dying when they run in on their own against 3 people( nevermind that they didn't have any healer in range of them)