Ben and Bioware Out Of Touch with Players

TrixxieTriss

Do we know that the system doesn't track fractions of a CXP behind the scenes? It doesn't display them, but, for example when one is using the 25% boost does every fourth gold kill give 2 CXP right now?

That would be the sensible thing to do but i really have no idea if that's the case.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we know that the system doesn't track fractions of a CXP behind the scenes? It doesn't display them, but, for example when one is using the 25% boost does every fourth gold kill give 2 CXP right now?

I can confirm that it doesn't. Unless they changed something since last night. Will go back and triple check.

Edited by StarkHelsing

This is *********** Star Wars. It is still kicking and breathing despite Bioware, not because of their vision. Or their "story". What a crock. There is no gameplay here. There is no sense of community among the studio and its playerbase. There is no sense of the direction this game is going. It's just one giant cash grab.

The IP doesn't deserve this. It shouldn't be cheapened in this way. It deserves better.

I don't doubt that there are people who play this game strictly because it is Star Wars. But I don't buy that the IP is what's keeping it "kicking and breathing despite BioWare" - this game, at its lowest, had more player than SWG had, and even in today's market games like Star Wars Uprising have been shuttered because they were under-performing. Those games benefit from the IP as well, if SWTOR is outperforming them that's because people like the product that BioWare is providing.

Why would it be any different this time? When have they actually made a meaningful change based on player feedback/outrage? They've gone from 218 servers to 4 that are still alive, and they STILL don't realize it's their mismanagement that has caused it...they clearly don't get it...at all.

They made money so they don't care about server population. Truth is; if the majority of the player base dislikes something, yet continues to sub or buy cartel coins; they are part of the problem.

I can confirm that it doesn't. Unless they changed something since last night. Will go back and triple check.

Wow, that's dumb of them not to be doing. I don't know how many people are still taking the "farm golds" route, but failing to provide the Boost benefit to that market is a real oversight if that's the case.

IMO the stream told us everything we needed to know. It all makes sense now. RNG is here to stay. The plan for the foreseeable future is simply the monetization of GC QoL improvements.

We already see it and more is coming. CXP boosters are live. They have less value at lower CXP gain rates. They will be more attractive after the upcoming changes. They are raising Gold values. They will raise again I am sure, they just need to figure out the lowest number people will still grind at. Because grinding is certainly an activity that makes boosting attractive.

You want to gear up your alts? CC

You want to have catch-up mechanics? CC

This was the entire point of GC.

I'm so tired of pinhead theories such as "It's more new-player friendly!" Seriously, shut the **** up with that crap. The entirety of GC is monetization. Period. Anything else you might think is simply something you fell for. There's no happy unicorn point to any of this. Wake up.

BWA had a consultant come in earlier this year. They advertised for the role, it was on their site for everyone to see. They wanted someone to come in to help them better monetize this game. And look what happened in the next six months. FTP - dead. Incentives to build a stable of alts while exposing everyone to the "itch" of opening crates. Get 'em hooked. Raise the level cap for no discernible purpose aside from creating a gear grind. Throttle that grind as much as possible.

And then? Pay-to-Win. OK - maybe not completely. But Pay-to-not want-to-blow-your-brains-out.

Listen, I'm sorry but no sane, intelligent person is going to create Galactic Command and think it's going to be well-received by this playerbase. I'll admit they've done a damn good job marketing it as if it's a credible idea. Certainly there are a few people on these forums that have fallen for it. But there is literally no universe in which a GC-like system without an RNG element is not superior in every possible way.

Except monetization potential.

They want us to hate it. They've modeled it. They'll lose a bunch of subs now, sure. They know this. They get this. They don't care.

This is the long con.

I gotta say, well played gents. Out of touch? I'm not sure if I'd say that - because this is some diabolical ****. And nicely done.

Now if they really wanted to take this all the way - I mean if they're in this for the big win - they'd announce Ops in January. Certainly they won't actually work on them, but they'll say they have Operations in the early planning stages. Picture the one-tooth guy, with that throaty laugh from all the parody videos. Doesn't matter. Everyone'll pay, we gotta get our gear on for Ops. They'll clean up.

It'll all come crashing down someday, but these guys checked out long ago. There's no passion for the IP in that studio. Not one drop. Because in that whole damn building, there isn't a single person with the vision and stones to point out that they didn't need a suicide switch. Because their consultant had blinders on. Because they never belonged in a spot where this game was in their care.

This is *********** Star Wars. It is still kicking and breathing despite Bioware, not because of their vision. Or their "story". What a crock. There is no gameplay here. There is no sense of community among the studio and its playerbase. There is no sense of the direction this game is going. It's just one giant cash grab.

The IP doesn't deserve this. It shouldn't be cheapened in this way. It deserves better.

This game needed pros. People with passion. People that thought farther than the next 6 months. People that understood how to build a playerbase. It's *********** simple. Create great content. People will play. Period. There's no voodoo. How pathetic is it that they dropped $150M (or whatever) to build this, had 1.7M subs, they've got lightsabers - yet we're 5 years in and this is their best plan.

I don't know if I'd say out of touch because I think they know exactly what they're doing. But they're definitely in over their head. This is literally the best they can do. A better studio would have not had to stoop to this level. And this game would have been *********** amazing. And that studio would be making a hell of a lot more money.

IMO it's just pathetic.

And one more re-quote. Thank you, eloquent and to the point as always.

For the record, I have voiced my complaints about the devs and this game more than several times. You're triggered by a response from a realist; sorry you get irritated like a child and I have no doubt with your attitude that you are being raised by a single mother.

This game is FAAAAAAAAAR from perfect; if it wasn't starwars I would say it would probably be a total catastrophic failure. I enjoy playing it otherwise I wouldn't be here; I was simply stating that because forum goers live in a bubble that the sky is falling it's easy to forget the 1000's of plain jane house dads that grew up with starwars like to play it and look at their pretty little lightsabers and could give two ****s about the complaints. Doesn't mean the game is perfect.

Think of it as a long way of saying: stop crying, nobody cares about your ********. Blame it on the dad that didn't want you instead.

More assumptions based on nothing. Maybe I was raised by a single mother and maybe I wasn't. Maybe my dad didn't want me and maybe he did. You have no way of knowing, and more importantly, it's irrelevant.

You assume you know what you can't possibly know, such as what people who aren't on the forums actually think.If you actually believe what you say then you're deluding yourself. End of story.

IMO the stream told us everything we needed to know. It all makes sense now. RNG is here to stay. The plan for the foreseeable future is simply the monetization of GC QoL improvements.

We already see it and more is coming. CXP boosters are live. They have less value at lower CXP gain rates. They will be more attractive after the upcoming changes. They are raising Gold values. They will raise again I am sure, they just need to figure out the lowest number people will still grind at. Because grinding is certainly an activity that makes boosting attractive.

I'm so tired of pinhead theories such as "It's more new-player friendly!" Seriously, shut the **** up with that crap. The entirety of GC is monetization. Period. Anything else you might think is simply something you fell for. There's no happy unicorn point to any of this. Wake up.

BWA had a consultant come in earlier this year. They advertised for the role, it was on their site for everyone to see. They wanted someone to come in to help them better monetize this game. And look what happened in the next six months. FTP - dead. Incentives to build a stable of alts while exposing everyone to the "itch" of opening crates. Get 'em hooked. Raise the level cap for no discernible purpose aside from creating a gear grind. Throttle that grind as much as possible.

And then? Pay-to-Win. OK - maybe not completely. But Pay-to-not want-to-blow-your-brains-out.

Listen, I'm sorry but no sane, intelligent person is going to create Galactic Command and think it's going to be well-received by this playerbase. I'll admit they've done a damn good job marketing it as if it's a credible idea. Certainly there are a few people on these forums that have fallen for it. But there is literally no universe in which a GC-like system without an RNG element is not superior in every possible way.

They want us to hate it. They've modeled it. They'll lose a bunch of subs now, sure. They know this. They get this. They don't care.

This is the long con.

I gotta say, well played gents. Out of touch? I'm not sure if I'd say that - because this is some diabolical ****. And nicely done.

Now if they really wanted to take this all the way - I mean if they're in this for the big win - they'd announce Ops in January. Certainly they won't actually work on them, but they'll say they have Operations in the early planning stages. Picture the one-tooth guy, with that throaty laugh from all the parody videos. Doesn't matter. Everyone'll pay, we gotta get our gear on for Ops. They'll clean up.

It'll all come crashing down someday, but these guys checked out long ago. There's no passion for the IP in that studio. Not one drop. Because in that whole damn building, there isn't a single person with the vision and stones to point out that they didn't need a suicide switch. Because their consultant had blinders on. Because they never belonged in a spot where this game was in their care.

This game needed pros. People with passion. People that thought farther than the next 6 months. People that understood how to build a playerbase. It's *********** simple. Create great content. People will play. Period. There's no voodoo. How pathetic is it that they dropped $150M (or whatever) to build this, had 1.7M subs, they've got lightsabers - yet we're 5 years in and this is their best plan.

I don't know if I'd say out of touch because I think they know exactly what they're doing. But they're definitely in over their head. This is literally the best they can do. A better studio would have not had to stoop to this level. And this game would have been *********** amazing. And that studio would be making a hell of a lot more money.

IMO it's just pathetic.

Great post!

The irony is; I feel like they did a really nice patch as far as the story, adding different mechanics to the game. They messed class balance up a bit but that was needed IMO to change the meta. All said and done; this would have been a great patch if not for this new gearing system. I'd even support the elimination of expertise as a great idea. Just that implementation though. Pure money grab.

This is the long con.

IMO it's just pathetic.

I fully agree. It is a long con, very clumsily set up. We'll see whether enough people will swallow it.

Pay-to-not want-to-blow-your-brains-out.

That's it in a nutshell, right there. Between the extremely low GC XP (especially for those who play solo like me) and the rng aspects yeah, that's exactly it. Even after a few days, I'm so sick of grinding GC that I don't even want to log in. I'll just stick to writing my stories.

Guys, just unsub. I did, 20 whatever days left and done. **** it, let them ruin this **** or let the people who still enjoy it support it. They've clearly shown they don't give a ****, for months now, since they announced this crap. And the stream was just a **** in our faces.

Do yourselves a favour and leave. They ****ed us over and they don't care. It's not going to change, and by some miracle if it does then re-sub.

Guys, just unsub. I did, 20 whatever days left and done. **** it, let them ruin this **** or let the people who still enjoy it support it. They've clearly shown they don't give a ****, for months now, since they announced this crap. And the stream was just a **** in our faces.

Do yourselves a favour and leave. They ****ed us over and they don't care. It's not going to change, and by some miracle if it does then re-sub.

My gut feeling tells me that most of the posters in this threads, that support the OP, have already unsubbed.

My gut feeling tells me that most of the posters in this threads, that support the OP, have already unsubbed.

I certainly hope so. Can we just let the forums turn into tumbleweed now? We're just doing circles at this point.

Edited by HyperAxiom

I had only got a 2 month subscription when they announced this planning to just play the story and then leave. I might have 15 days left.

SNIP....

IMO it's just pathetic.

You sir are a scholar. Great post, all of it. Well said. I know it falls of deaf ears at bw but know you are right on the mark here.

If bw can pat themselves on the back for such atrocious design and development, patting you on the back for something well done is a no brainer.

Edited by Quraswren

This is the long con.

IMO it's just pathetic.

Very, very, very well-said. Bravo.

This is it, the whole kit, cat, and kaboodle, all summed up very neatly. Thank you. The class story part of the game is so far superior in quality to everything after that...I have no words.

From what we were told, that Crystals were too complicated for new players to understand and that Galactic Command would be more friendly it seems the crazies have taken over.

How is coming in as a new player getting to 70 and then seeing 300 levels of Galactic Command Ranks more friendly. But they accept you don't have to get there some how they work out (though who knows how given crystals were too complicated for them) that they start getting tier 3 gear at level 180. Anyway they start grinding out some levels and find, they are getting green gear and empty shells and influence and pets and scrap. How does this make it easier to gear up? How does this make it more mythical new player friendly who was turned off by the crystal or com system.

There comes a point when you are either being lied to or the person telling you the information has been lied to. Cause this makes no sense.

From what we were told, that Crystals were too complicated for new players to understand and that Galactic Command would be more friendly it seems the crazies have taken over.

I didn't look across all topic-related threads but is that truly the reason they gave? Because if that's what they think, rubbish. I haven't played tons of MMO's but the ones I have usually all had a system of 'earn specific token, use token to buy better sh.it'. Rift takes it a step further and just sells it for extremely high amounts of RL money as well as tokens and crystals. In the most recent Warcraft xpac you earn an end-level base-set of gear by unlocking certain feats and just doing dailies and the rest is RNG drops from LFG/LFR/Raids, which you really only need if you play that level of content so it works. Not ideal but those options are a lot better than this GC system.

I'd be happiest if GC became a fluff only reward system while you can buy the actual gear you need from vendors. Have it award stuff like dyes, pets, mounts, armor sets from the past 5 years etc. so it's still worth doing yet at the same time people don't feel stressed or forced to do it for the sake of trying to obtain a gear set they actually need to tackle more difficult content.

Also, if crystals were such a difficult system.. why not just add (if it's not there already) a tutorial or whatever pop up that says "Hey congratulations you just earned your first Common Crystal, here's what you can use them for!".

Ah well, enjoy the laugh I guess BW. I'll just play the actual stories and write my own and to hell with grinding out this GC system for now. I'll wait until, if ever, it improves, maybe.

I don't know that they're our of touch...what I see in the game in guild and general chat is very different from what I see on the forums. Just look at this thread...99% of the negative posts are the same people that have been spamming negative posts all over the forums since 5.0 dropped.

I want, and I hope that GC drop rates are tweaked and that gear exchange becomes an option, and cxp is raised and normalized across all activities. From what I saw of the stream, they appear to be working on that.

This is the long con.

A lot of anecdotal evidence certainly points in that direction. I just don't get how it's supposed to work. The people that care about gear levels are the ones most likely to unsub in disgust.

I take that back. Perhaps their monetization "expert" is unaware how poorly Asian P2W games fare in the West.

Edited by PlasmaJohn

I didn't look across all topic-related threads but is that truly the reason they gave? Because if that's what they think, rubbish. I haven't played tons of MMO's but the ones I have usually all had a system of 'earn specific token, use token to buy better sh.it'. Rift takes it a step further and just sells it for extremely high amounts of RL money as well as tokens and crystals. In the most recent Warcraft xpac you earn an end-level base-set of gear by unlocking certain feats and just doing dailies and the rest is RNG drops from LFG/LFR/Raids, which you really only need if you play that level of content so it works. Not ideal but those options are a lot better than this GC system.

I'd be happiest if GC became a fluff only reward system while you can buy the actual gear you need from vendors. Have it award stuff like dyes, pets, mounts, armor sets from the past 5 years etc. so it's still worth doing yet at the same time people don't feel stressed or forced to do it for the sake of trying to obtain a gear set they actually need to tackle more difficult content.

Also, if crystals were such a difficult system.. why not just add (if it's not there already) a tutorial or whatever pop up that says "Hey congratulations you just earned your first Common Crystal, here's what you can use them for!".

Ah well, enjoy the laugh I guess BW. I'll just play the actual stories and write my own and to hell with grinding out this GC system for now. I'll wait until, if ever, it improves, maybe.

It was said in a live stream as to the reason we were losing crystals and coms. Strange since I'm sure when it was coms it was less confusing than crystals if only by a tiny amount yet they didn't seem to think it would be an issue. Then they went on to say how command crates would allow you to get end game gear doing nearly any activity. Failed to mention at 20 xp a heroic that it would take a long long long time unless you played the content they wanted you to the way they wanted you to play it.

I'd be surprised if these decisions were being made either by a sane individual or someone that wanted the game to succeed. Smart money is on EA releasing a new MMO and the team being moved over with SWTOR shut down cause some marketing guy said there wasn't space in the market for two MMO's.

I don't know that they're our of touch...what I see in the game in guild and general chat is very different from what I see on the forums. Just look at this thread...99% of the negative posts are the same people that have been spamming negative posts all over the forums since 5.0 dropped.

I want, and I hope that GC drop rates are tweaked and that gear exchange becomes an option, and cxp is raised and normalized across all activities. From what I saw of the stream, they appear to be working on that.

I see quite the opposite on JC.

Every night I've been on it someone in chat saying once again why their sage healer needs another pair of defense Asyum leggings or some other such useless garbage the swtor casino has decided to give them. I see guilds talk of running quick and easy HM OPS and coming out with nothing of value for their time because mats to which it seems when I ask there just saving them because the made gear isn't worth making and it's still rather expansion to make just a few mods.

Consistent talk of poor RNG loot crate drops and waste time doing old content for just a chance at gear but in reality it's what garbage will they be disintegrating this time.

The rare few (kind of like the rare few that got gear doing high level ops) being the only ones to get a couple items of value. It's all rather disheartening to read iink general chat and channels we have created to link guilds.