Your name is INVALID!

Stultophobe

So I have a question derived from a number of observations...

To my knowledge, you cannot name you character anything with "Darth" or "Master" or "The" or "Emperor" in it (although "Empress" is valid for some reason). And yet, once in a while, I'll see someone on the fleet with "Darth" or "The" etc. in their name. Even capital letters in directly after a lowercase letter with no space.

I know for a fact that this is not simply their title because when I PM them it includes "Darth" (for example) in chat.

And no, no use of special characters. I am able to type in their names manually into /who without using special characters, and they show up. I even blew up the text to make sure I was seeing it right. No special characters.

How can this be?

It's because some people want a title before going through the game and getting it properly so they'll do whatever spelling tweaks to make it happen. Yeah, it's a reportable thing, but even if they end up having to change it, they'll just do it again.

So I have a question derived from a number of observations...

To my knowledge, you cannot name you character anything with "Darth" or "Master" or "The" or "Emperor" in it (although "Empress" is valid for some reason). And yet, once in a while, I'll see someone on the fleet with "Darth" or "The" etc. in their name. Even capital letters in directly after a lowercase letter with no space.

I know for a fact that this is not simply their title because when I PM them it includes "Darth" (for example) in chat.

And no, no use of special characters. I am able to type in their names manually into /who without using special characters, and they show up. I even blew up the text to make sure I was seeing it right. No special characters.

How can this be?

You also can't use any name that has a trade mark or is owned by a company. ie "Barbie" was listed as Invalid and even adding an second name to it was invalid.

The only way to get around these restrictions is to use Alt code letters. There are probably other ways around it too.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

You also can't use any name that has a trade mark or is owned by a company. ie "Barbie" was listed as Invalid and even adding an second name to it was invalid.

The only way to get around these restrictions is to use Alt code letters. There are probably other ways around it too.

Which is weird, because I saw someone with the last name of "Beniko" and someone else with the name of "Shan" with (what appeared to be) no ASCII marks. So Barbie, which is a valid person's name (even though obviously commonly tied to Barbie Doll), is restricted but last names of major NPC's are not. At least not THOSE NPC's.

As a side note, it amuses me greatly to see new players on Hutta with the name "Agentblorg" when all they had to do was wait 5 minutes and they would have earned that title.

To the OP, they probably DO have special marks in their Darth name (again, stupid because they'd get that title eventually) but some of those marks are real easy to hide in the letters depending on the mark. That's all I can think of.

Edited by AngFour

Which is weird, because I saw someone with the last name of "Beniko" and someone else with the name of "Shan" with no ASCII marks. So Barbie, which is a valid person's name (even though obviously commonly tied to Barbie Doll), is restricted but last names of major NPC's are not. At least not THOSE NPC's.

As a side note, it amuses me greatly to see new players on Hutta with the name "Agentblorg" when all they had to do was wait 5 minutes and they would have earned that title.

To the OP, they probably DO have special marks in their Darth name (again, stupid because they'd get that title eventually) but some of those marks are real easy to hide in the letters depending on the mark. That's all I can think of.

You also couldn't use names like Jane, John, Michelle, Richard, etc .. not sure if that's changed or not. The idea was to stop people using real names. It may have changed now that people spell their names in many different ways.

Yeah they have updated naming conventions over the years as it got harder and harder to name your characters.

At some points I was able to name my character "Pete" but at others that name comes up as invalid - I've transferred that character to another server and created another to hold the name on the source server and "invalid". But then a few months later it wasn't invalid at one point and I was able to grab the name back. Currently, the name is invalid even if you put a space and another name at the end of it (but I still have a character named "Pete"). BW seems to change their minds a lot.

It's possible they created the toon before any restrictions. What lvl was the toon. Also if it's a low level they probably created it to reserve the name.

Exactly.

Name filters are something that keeps evolving as violation escapes get reported and acted upon.

It is quite possible the filters did not stop them, way back in the day. In which case, they run with their name until someone reports them. Once they are reported, the studio will likely give them a mandatory name change sanction.

I've seen someone on fleet named Darth Darth Darth (The Darth Legacy). Duh.

Troopers could in theory be Major Major Major Major.(1) (Apologies to Joseph Heller!)

Break that down: Major (title) Major Major (space-ified character name) Major (legacy surname).

The same reasoning applies to Darth Darth Darth Darth and Captain Captain Captain Captain.

And Agent Agent Agent Agent.

And if you were feeling especially weird, you could be "Pure Pure Pure the Pure".

(1) When she was in the Mass ANG in the 1980s, my wife met a fellow airman whose surname was Sergeant. There was a sort of betting pool on how quickly she would be promoted so they could have a Sergeant Sergeant for real. (Beats being Airman Sergeant, I suppose.)