Here's what a truly BAD launch looks like

Alyxa

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rift was nothing like this. I sat in a queue for an hour and a half but I was not made to wait two to four days longer than other person who paid the fee to get in early.

They didn't pay an extra fee to get in early. They pre-ordered early.

I'll probably be able to play in a few days, however my son got in on the second wave. Watching him play without all the congestion looks nice and smooth, can't wait til I get a chance to do the same and no worries as well.

This by far has to be the smoothest lauch yet, yes there will be a few bugs and glitches that are going to be exploited, but I'm sure they'll be fixed quite fast.

You're allowed to download the game client starting the day before launch. It takes you the better part of a day because everyone and their grandmother and their dog are all trying to get the game installed before launch.

You finally get the game installed and fired up. You log in. You're #785 in a queue. It takes 3 hours to get into the game.

You get into the game, but the server lag is freaking terrible. Like you can't even move. You get disconnected.

You have to log in again, but LUCKILY you don't have to wait in queue again. You get into the game, but then the server crashes.

2 hours later you get an update on the game launcher from an hour ago saying that they'll have an update in 30 minutes. Ho hum. Servers down. For forever. Wasted Pizza Hutt and Full Throttles. Never really know *** happened.

When the servers do finally come back up (the next morning), you get in and everything seems good. Except there are 20 people sitting on a quest giver, making him unclickable. And then you have to go fight over mob spawns against 20 other people. Then you get to the part of the quest where you kill "the big guy" and you're stuck waiting to get your quest kill of ONE MOB, while you're getting ganked, and that stupid warrior's charge tagged the mob before you could get off a moonfire.

You finally get your quest kill and you have to go digging through a stack of players AGAIN to turn in your quest.

And then you get a game announcement saying that they're doing a server rollback.

So an hour later after they finally get the servers back up when it should have taken 15 minutes, you have to deal with 20 people camping the same mob YOU ALREADY KILLED while you're getting ganked and that stupid warrior's charge tagged the mob before you could get off a moonfire, and then you have to go digging through a stack of players again AGAIN to turn in your quest AGAIN.

So...

Am I a little frustrated that other people are playing the game that I'm DYING to play? Yes.

Am I frustrated that BW apparently decided to call it a day early and stop sending out waves for 16 and a half hours? Yes.

Could they have done this some other, better, way? Probably.

But "the worst launch ever"? I'm sorry, but no. BW made it known from DAY ONE that not everyone was getting into the game on day one of early access. And if it means that I don't have to sit for four hours in a queue so the servers can crash before I have to fight 50 people for the same respawns so they can rollback the servers and I have to do it all over again, then... Okay.

I'd prefer to at least be on equal grounds with everyone else rather than be forced to the back of the bus because I didn't pre-order the game the first week it was made available.

It's a stupid excuse and something that should be done in beta, not for launch. Everyone deserves an equal opportunity to start at launch, or at least as equal as possible. Being an entire week behind is absurd.

They might as well just have let people keep their beta characters to be honest.

Edited by GGTeMpLaR

You're allowed to download the game client starting the day before launch. It takes you the better part of a day because everyone and their grandmother and their dog are all trying to get the game installed before launch.

You finally get the game installed and fired up. You log in. You're #785 in a queue. It takes 3 hours to get into the game.

You get into the game, but the server lag is freaking terrible. Like you can't even move. You get disconnected.

You have to log in again, but LUCKILY you don't have to wait in queue again. You get into the game, but then the server crashes.

2 hours later you get an update on the game launcher from an hour ago saying that they'll have an update in 30 minutes. Ho hum. Servers down. For forever. Wasted Pizza Hutt and Full Throttles. Never really know *** happened.

When the servers do finally come back up (the next morning), you get in and everything seems good. Except there are 20 people sitting on a quest giver, making him unclickable. And then you have to go fight over mob spawns against 20 other people. Then you get to the part of the quest where you kill "the big guy" and you're stuck waiting to get your quest kill of ONE MOB, while you're getting ganked, and that stupid warrior's charge tagged the mob before you could get off a moonfire.

You finally get your quest kill and you have to go digging through a stack of players AGAIN to turn in your quest.

And then you get a game announcement saying that they're doing a server rollback.

So an hour later after they finally get the servers back up when it should have taken 15 minutes, you have to deal with 20 people camping the same mob YOU ALREADY KILLED while you're getting ganked and that stupid warrior's charge tagged the mob before you could get off a moonfire, and then you have to go digging through a stack of players again AGAIN to turn in your quest AGAIN.

So...

Am I a little frustrated that other people are playing the game that I'm DYING to play? Yes.

Am I frustrated that BW apparently decided to call it a day early and stop sending out waves for 16 and a half hours? Yes.

But "the worst launch ever"? I'm sorry, but no. BW made it known from DAY ONE that not everyone was getting into the game on day one of early access. And if it means that I don't have to sit for four hours in a queue so the servers can crash before I have to fight 50 people for the same respawns so they can rollback the servers and I have to do it all over again, then... Okay.

no matter how you say it this "is" the worst launch ever, people need to get in to take theyre names, alot of fun reordering to get names and then you get in coule of days after launch and then maybe all names are gone wich you were gonna use, then the whole idea of preordering for early access is nullified, i would much rather be able to login make my char and then wait in que or even just wait while servers are down since i already have the names, people have different reasons and this is just crap how they are doing things hands down,

I'd prefer to at least be on equal grounds with everyone else rather than be forced to the back of the bus because I didn't pre-order the game the first week it was made available.

I think the ppl that were loyally following this game and preordered the instant it came out should be rewarded for that loyalty.

p.s I only ordered in october, not playing atm.

It's not like most people expected to immediately enter the game.

The things that suck are the fact that when you get in isn't reported, and that the time between people getting in is so long. I preordered somewhere stupid like November, so I don't expect to get in any time soon. But what bugs me is that I don't know when I can get in.

Also, they're releasing people into the game in a ponderously slow fashion. Only an idiot wants free access for all day one, but a better planned, more transparent, and quicker launch would have been a good idea.

It isn't one or another, in my opinion, more a middle-ground I wanted. Transparency isn't some evil unwanted thing in an MMO, in fact, I can't think of a single MMO that actually told its players what is going on (maybe it is then)...

The lack of transparency or feedback is WORSE than any actual technical failure in game launch in my opinion. I can jump onto a laggy server and go 'oh well, I'll wait until they fix their stuff'. Now I'm going 'I only preordered November, but should I keep an eye on my launcher just in case??', and my brother stayed awake all through the night waiting for the game to be available.

Edited by Klawm

...did you really just compare a staggered release to racial segregation?

Yes. Yes, you did. Fascinating.

Also, for a game of this size there's no such thing as 'equal grounds'. Any launch plan will favour someone.

The things that suck are the fact that when you get in isn't reported, and that the time between people getting is so long. I preordered somewhere stupid like November, so I don't expect to get in any time soon. But what bugs me is that I don't know when I can get in.

Believe me, I'd love to know when I'll be getting in. But launching an MMO isn't like flipping a switch. It's a dynamic process; what happens tomorrow is dependent on what happened today. It's just not that predictable.

So...

But did you get to play? Okay then.

@OP

Trust me those writhing in pain over not getting into day 1 hardly have the attention span to read your post.

For what it's worth though I agree fully, too bad they can't see it this way.

What he said.

I particularly liked the 'writhing in pain' part.

what you write about is just a different kind of bad launch.

One where everybody is on equal footing, where most people are able to get at least their 2nd and 3rd picks of names, one where most people might not be able to play on launch day - but that is exactly the same it is now.

You can easily see this being EA's doing though. Just like the CE only vendor.

Bioware employees are mostly gamers themselves at heart so it is no surprise they thought staggered launch was a bad idea. EA has the final word though and they are not gamers at all. Just some suits.

Edited by mufutiz