The Ultimate guide to speeding up win 7 on low/mid range systems ready for TOR!

renegadeimp

Are these threads just for the half pc illiterate to read about elementry stuff? or is there anywhere to go, read, or post to find out if Bioware is fixing the horrible LOD streaming, like with grass/foliage?

With max grass quality, density, and far clip, the foliage literally grows as you approach. it's a joke.

Open a ticket and ask a honest question for a Dev response, and they tell you to post on the forums. To get people that think it's " fine", or others that agree.

Where can we get a answer?

Edited by Your_dominus

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think all of the visual enhancements in Windows 7 are disabled automatically when running a full screen 3D rendered game.

You're incorrect.

You need to right click the app, and go to properties, compatability, and check disable visual themes, and desktop composition.

This has always been the case, if you want Areo disabled when you run a game.

Edited by Your_dominus

Thank you so much for reposting this! After the forum wipes I was saddened to not be able to find it as I had recommended the original thread to so many. It has helped me and helped other and will continue to recommend the thread to help others with their performance. Thanks!!! :D

Vista and 7 are pretty much the same system. Wait for the writer of the topic to get a confirm but i think that most of the tweak will work even on Vista.

I'm not a tecnician so don't do anything until u got a confirm ; )

I would like to know if this guide will work for vista as well?

I would remove the part about removing UAC. A router, firewall and anti-virus is only minor protection from a virus or maleware that tries to make alterations to your sytem. UAC will not fully protect windows 7 but it DOES stop some viruses and malware from installing on your system.

Even Anti-virus companies like Sophos, Norton, AVG and Kaspersky say not to disable UAC because it catches most harmful alterations first.

The rest of your article BTW, is spot on and very good.

I can play this game pretty well with no lag. While in the game I can play outdoor maps near perfectly with no lag, but as soon as I enter indoors the lag is pretty crazy...I followed this guide and did everything and all my settings ingame are on lowest. My specs are these if they help at all and as a side note, I'm on a laptop, do you see anything I can upgrade for fairly cheap?

Model: Asus Notebook K52N Series

Processor: AMD Turion II P540 Dual-Core Processor 2.40 GHz

Installed Ram: 6.0gb (5.75gb useable)

Video Card: AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200

I think that is all needed info, any suggestions for upgrades to this laptop for cheap or way to enhance game play to be lag-free indoors?

Thanks

Hi I'm having issues with my computer locking up while I play the game. It intermittently locks up and I have to hard reset my cpu just to log back in only to have the same issue again. This has been going on for days now and I would really love some help thanks.

I have a windows 7 home premium 32bit, nothing but windows and the game are installed. Intel quad core Q8200 2.33 GHZ processor with 4 gigs of ram (Nvidia), Nvidia GTX-260s SLi x2 and an MSI mother board that is a Nvidia 750i chipset.

CPU Core 1 temp 56 C

CPU Core 2 temp 49 C

CPU Core 3 temp 50 C

CPU Core 4 temp 51 C

GPU 1 Temp 56 C

GPU 2 Temp 53 C

Hard Disk temp 35 C

memory usage 30%

I can play this game pretty well with no lag. While in the game I can play outdoor maps near perfectly with no lag, but as soon as I enter indoors the lag is pretty crazy...I followed this guide and did everything and all my settings ingame are on lowest. My specs are these if they help at all and as a side note, I'm on a laptop, do you see anything I can upgrade for fairly cheap?

Model: Asus Notebook K52N Series

Processor: AMD Turion II P540 Dual-Core Processor 2.40 GHz

Installed Ram: 6.0gb (5.75gb useable)

Video Card: AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200

I think that is all needed info, any suggestions for upgrades to this laptop for cheap or way to enhance game play to be lag-free indoors?

Thanks

Disable those shadows is a good start, but your computer only just meets the minimum specs. Any money you put in the system to try and upgrade would be wasted. The best thing to do would be to look at some cheap i3 systems with a 5450 series amd gpu. They dont cost more that $300-400.

Edited by renegadeimp

Hi I'm having issues with my computer locking up while I play the game. It intermittently locks up and I have to hard reset my cpu just to log back in only to have the same issue again. This has been going on for days now and I would really love some help thanks.

I have a windows 7 home premium 32bit, nothing but windows and the game are installed. Intel quad core Q8200 2.33 GHZ processor with 4 gigs of ram (Nvidia), Nvidia GTX-260s SLi x2 and an MSI mother board that is a Nvidia 750i chipset.

CPU Core 1 temp 56 C

CPU Core 2 temp 49 C

CPU Core 3 temp 50 C

CPU Core 4 temp 51 C

GPU 1 Temp 56 C

GPU 2 Temp 53 C

Hard Disk temp 35 C

memory usage 30%

Can you create a thread in the customer service forums, and post your dxdiag log using the spoiler or code tags? thanks!

Disable those shadows is a good start, but your computer only just meets the minimum specs. Any money you put in the system to try and upgrade would be wasted. The best thing to do would be to look at some cheap i3 systems with a 5450 series amd gpu. They dont cost more that $300-400.

That's a real shame since I paid 700$ for this laptop at bestbuy.... I think I have shadows disabled, is that Esc key> Preferences...? Also can you possible send me towards a good desktop/tower to buy? I'm thinking I can use this laptop as the monitor and keyboard, and then just un-connect it to use my laptop at school and so forth if that's even possible.

Cool Story.

:edit:

Not claiming XP>7 for a moment here. But for those like myself with lower system memory, the lower OS overhead (which I really can't see how you can dispute) alone makes a lot of difference.

Cool story? Really??? That's the line you used???

Well... cool story bra.

i have windows 7, i kept getting stuck and couldnt turn or move my toon, i turned off shadows and reduced all settings to low and reduced grass and trees to 30-36 and it fixed it all, barely any lag even on my super heavy server, hope it helps all u guys out, God bless!!!!! :wea_03: im also running 4 gigs of ram and AMD processor fyi! Edited by Teaurie

Mid-range systems don''t need speeding up. TOR has low system requirements. Low end systems have no business being used for gaming. I''m not really seeing the point of this thread.

The point is to allow everyone who wants to play able to play. I usually play on a nice desktop, but when I travel during the holidays, I use a low end laptop with an integrated gpu (oh nooo!). Oh yes :) and it works just fine thanks to threads like this one.

Edited by chrismank

Mid-range systems don''t need speeding up. TOR has low system requirements. Low end systems have no business being used for gaming. I''m not really seeing the point of this thread.

well my system isnt exactly low spec and i still had some graphics issues after updating my system, motherboard and graphics card, so i posted what helped me out and ive offered the suggestion to others in game and it worked for them as well and some of them r running high end gaming pc's. i personally play on my laptop. so yeah dude, its just your opinion, facts r facts, and the facts r the settings i suggested work. so :p

. I''m not really seeing the point of this thread.

Let me get this straight... you posted on a thread that has 10 pages of -mostly- kudos just to say that you don't see the point of it. Well, I don't see the point of your post.

As for the Guide itself, I can also add my endorsement: it visibly changed the game's performance on my office laptop (athlonII x2 @2ghz, 3 gigs, ati 4570) from unplayable (5fps) to acceptable (25-30fps on low video settings). So, I'll add my thanks to renegadeimp for helping a fellow gamer have a more pleasant game experience (on the other hand, now I can play swtor at the office so next time I'll get something work-related done will be around summer... I hope a client doesn't read this).

Be well, enjoy the game.