The Ultimate guide to speeding up win 7 on low/mid range systems ready for TOR!

renegadeimp

Cool cool, thanks again. My system is mid-range at best so I'm trying things in increments, I have:

-Windows 7 (Home)

-i5 2.4 gb

-4gb ram

-ATI Radeon HD 4570

....and there are a lot of things that I have for convenience like the Dell Dock that are just taking up resources, and while I'd love to keep them I also want a smooth performance on mid-level graphics so I may have to part with them.

Thanks again.

Switch that GPU out for a 560 ti or 6850 ati, and you can max this game.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My apologies if this has already been posted in the thread.

Any tips/guides out there for windows vista? I'm running the game on a laptop and it works great most of the time but I'm still experience some slowdown (especially in PVP). A guide similar to this for vista would be a great help.

Thanks

Do you know anything about the supposed compatibility issue between certain GPU's and ToR? During the big beta weekend many people with "good" system specs could barely play the game (myself included) and it was attributed to a compatibility problem rather than computers just not being good enough. Well, I'm still having the same problem and with forum searching disabled, I haven't found any good threads with better info on the issue.

Now I know this is somewhat off topic, but since you seem to be really knowledgeable about both this game and computers in general, I thought maybe you could shed some light on this issue as well.

(And of course, system specs: custom made gaming laptop with 4gb RAM, intel i5, ATI Mobility Radeon 4750... with that I get 15 fps if I'm lucky, with all settings on low/off.)

My apologies if this has already been posted in the thread.

Any tips/guides out there for windows vista? I'm running the game on a laptop and it works great most of the time but I'm still experience some slowdown (especially in PVP). A guide similar to this for vista would be a great help.

Thanks

Vista and 7 are pretty much the same system. Wait for the writer of the topic to get a confirm but i think that most of the tweak will work even on Vista.

I'm not a tecnician so don't do anything until u got a confirm ; )

Do you know anything about the supposed compatibility issue between certain GPU's and ToR? During the big beta weekend many people with "good" system specs could barely play the game (myself included) and it was attributed to a compatibility problem rather than computers just not being good enough. Well, I'm still having the same problem and with forum searching disabled, I haven't found any good threads with better info on the issue.

Now I know this is somewhat off topic, but since you seem to be really knowledgeable about both this game and computers in general, I thought maybe you could shed some light on this issue as well.

(And of course, system specs: custom made gaming laptop with 4gb RAM, intel i5, ATI Mobility Radeon 4750... with that I get 15 fps if I'm lucky, with all settings on low/off.)

There isnt any issues with compatability at all with GPU's and TOR. However, there is a huge issue with there being no official driver support for this game from both major GPU manufacturers. The people who are serious about their systems are using performance modded drivers from Guru3d or if you can find them, omega drivers. ( Personally i use the former.)

Post your dxdiag log in a PM to me, or create a new thread on the CS forums and state that i requested it. The log will flag up any errors or compatability issues on your system.

Edited by renegadeimp

Hi,

After completing the "Disabling every extra service in Windows 7 that you do not need." step and restarted the computer my speakers started to give off static all the time. Which disabled service caused this?

If you are getting static from that, then you are running older drivers. Try unplugging and replugging your speakers in, or reinstalling the sound drivers.

If that doesnt work, just jump back to the system restore point you should have made before you disabled the services.

If you are getting static from that, then you are running older drivers. Try unplugging and replugging your speakers in, or reinstalling the sound drivers.

If that doesnt work, just jump back to the system restore point you should have made before you disabled the services.

A second reboot fixed it, wierd. Anyway thanks for the guide it worked great for my PC!

Vista and 7 are pretty much the same system. Wait for the writer of the topic to get a confirm but i think that most of the tweak will work even on Vista.

I'm not a tecnician so don't do anything until u got a confirm ; )

it would be wise to go with windows 7, it can handle games a whole lot better than vista.

There isnt any issues with compatability at all with GPU's and TOR. However, there is a huge issue with there being no official driver support for this game from both major GPU manufacturers. The people who are serious about their systems are using performance modded drivers from Guru3d or if you can find them, omega drivers. ( Personally i use the former.)

Post your dxdiag log in a PM to me, or create a new thread on the CS forums and state that i requested it. The log will flag up any errors or compatability issues on your system.

OK, I couldn't PM you because of the character limit in the message, so I've created a new thread with my dxdiag report. Anyone else that's been having this issue may find it useful as well. Thank you again renegadeimp for taking the time to look this over :)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=500478#post500478

Hello everyone. I followed the steps outlined in the guide even after reformatting my hard drive and putting a fresh windows install and I still can't get past 5 fps. Here is my dxdiag info:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.110622-1503)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: Inspiron 537s

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: Pentium® Dual-Core CPU E5400 @ 2.70GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.7GHz

Memory: 3072MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 3072MB RAM

Page File: 1324MB used, 4815MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 64bit Unicode

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

Display Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 1: No problems found.

Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------

DirectX Debug Levels

--------------------

Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)

DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)

DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)

DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)

DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)

DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)

DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series

Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x954F)

DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_954F&SUBSYS_904E1028&REV_00

Display Memory: 1785 MB

Dedicated Memory: 505 MB

Shared Memory: 1279 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: SCEI MONITOR

Monitor Id: SCE0301

Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)

Output Type: HDMI

Driver Name: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll

Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1107 (English)

Driver Version: 8.920.0.0

DDI Version: 10.1

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 11/9/2011 19:15:20, 927232 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp:

Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-D60F-11CF-CB77-44B0BEC2C535}

Vendor ID: 0x1002

Device ID: 0x954F

SubSys ID: 0x904E1028

Revision ID: 0x0000

Driver Strong Name: oem7.inf:ATI.Mfg.NTamd64.6.1:ati2mtag_R7X:8.920.0.0:pci\ven_1002&dev_954f

Rank Of Driver: 00E62001

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C

I am very frustrated. I could run the beta with leaving at least some grass and tree detail, conversation depth of field, and even bloom. Now, all of that is off and the game is completely unplayable. Did I pre-order the collector's edition for nothing? I plan on getting a new pc when I get tax money, but that is a couple of months away. FML!

Hello everyone. I followed the steps outlined in the guide even after reformatting my hard drive and putting a fresh windows install and I still can't get past 5 fps. Here is my dxdiag info:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.110622-1503)

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

--------------------

DirectX Debug Levels

--------------------

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Driver Name: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll

WHQL Date Stamp:

Driver Strong Name: oem7.inf:ATI.Mfg.NTamd64.6.1:ati2mtag_R7X:8.920.0.0:pci\ven_1002&dev_954f

I am very frustrated. I could run the beta with leaving at least some grass and tree detail, conversation depth of field, and even bloom. Now, all of that is off and the game is completely unplayable. Did I pre-order the collector's edition for nothing? I plan on getting a new pc when I get tax money, but that is a couple of months away. FML!

Here's what you can do to try and fix it.

Load up the game, but do not go past the server select or character selection screen.

Hit Alt+ enter to force the game to run in windowed mode.

Go into the game as normal.

Go to preferences > graphic options and turn shadows OFF.

Hit apply.

Make sure every single option is at minimum and click apply.

Now set preset to HIGH and click apply.

Now set it to low.

If all goes well, you should see a slightly noticable FPS increase. You can then slowly turn the settings up.

Please remember though, that you have what is considered to be a minimum spec machine for the game. You won;t get very high FPS with your current system, as you pointed out. However, if there is any power in there, the above should force the Graphics engine to refresh and update on your game, and SHOULD give you a touch more FPS.

Edited by renegadeimp

I have a pretty good computer but for some reason I still experience laggy/choppy gameplay. It's not my connection issues, I'm guessing it's my graphics card.

Here are my PC specs:

Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 630 Processor 2.80 GHz

RAM: 6.00 GB (5.75 GB usable)

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics [HP 2310]

I also have plenty of hard drive space because its a 1 TB Hard-drive. I really would like to figure out whats wrong... Would it help if I reformatted my PC? I am really thinking that is is my graphics card so if it is, give me some advice on what I should get.

That GPU is absolutely terrible. It is classed as extreme low end, and is not recommended for 3d graphics in any way. And that is what the manufacturer says. Upgrade that GPU and your game should be running good.

I suggest a AMD 5750 or Nvidia 260. You could even get by with a 5450. Tho 5770 would give you a few more FPS.

Edited by renegadeimp

I noticed that there is no draw/view distance setting in this game's graphic's option. I decided to run this on my laptop to see these issues for myself. I noticed that when I play from a bird's eye perspective, looking down on my toon with the camera distance set to 30%, I get 30 FPS ish. When I look up to target enemies from a distance, it drops to 10 FPS. On Coruscant, there are huge buildings and flying cars being rendered in the distance, which look cool on my desktop, but perhaps for these low end systems having a feature to not render these types of objects could help increase FPS. Afterall, they have no impact on story or gameplay and are just there for aesthetic purposes. Just an observation as not everyone can afford an upgrade or a new machine.

Here's what you can do to try and fix it.

Load up the game, but do not go past the server select or character selection screen.

Hit Ctrl + enter to force the game to run in windowed mode.

Go into the game as normal.

Go to preferences > graphic options and turn shadows OFF.

Hit apply.

Make sure every single option is at minimum and click apply.

Now set preset to HIGH and click apply.

Now set it to low.

If all goes well, you should see a slightly noticable FPS increase. You can then slowly turn the settings up.

Please remember though, that you have what is considered to be a minimum spec machine for the game. You won;t get very high FPS with your current system, as you pointed out. However, if there is any power in there, the above should force the Graphics engine to refresh and update on your game, and SHOULD give you a touch more FPS.

thank you so much. our tips worked like a charm. i am able to play it on better settings than i did with the beta and get a higher frame rate. thank you for letting me live out my fantasy of using force lightning! :)

I noticed that there is no draw/view distance setting in this game's graphic's option. I decided to run this on my laptop to see these issues for myself. I noticed that when I play from a bird's eye perspective, looking down on my toon with the camera distance set to 30%, I get 30 FPS ish. When I look up to target enemies from a distance, it drops to 10 FPS. On Coruscant, there are huge buildings and flying cars being rendered in the distance, which look cool on my desktop, but perhaps for these low end systems having a feature to not render these types of objects could help increase FPS. Afterall, they have no impact on story or gameplay and are just there for aesthetic purposes. Just an observation as not everyone can afford an upgrade or a new machine.

Most graphic options are disabled due to a bug in the graphics engine. The devs have said that we can expect them to be put back in the next patch ( hopefully with higher quality textures).

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

--------------------

DirectX Debug Levels

--------------------

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

WHQL Date Stamp:

My best advice: turn down your resolution. 1920x1080 is going to cripple your system

I think all of the visual enhancements in Windows 7 are disabled automatically when running a full screen 3D rendered game.

If you read the thread, plus the previous incarnation on the old boards, you would see that is simply not true.

Disabling them by force and making sure they dont come back frees up a LOT of system resources that can't be touched by the OS.

Proof of this is in various replies. If they switched themselves off, then people would have no need for this guide.

Edited by renegadeimp