Why Macros belong in TOR.

_compton_

Everyone has a flintlock gun right now. Some folks come from games where if you know the code, you can modify your flintlock into a automatic. It is absolutely infuriating to hardcore pvper's that they can be killed by keyboard turning clickers lmao

Actually, I think this is a pretty dead on statement. I get the feeling that many of the people pushing for all these changes to the game- damage meters, macros, level brackets, larger (8 man) PvP groups -are all just upset that their habitual "Make it easy for me to mash the casuals" conveniences aren't here.

Bully, I say. Jolly good.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What some people call quick and efficient i call lazy, i really like the old school feel of combat. It is just my opinion. Im guessing the devs will eventually put them in game and when they do i still wont use them. I pvp enough to stay away from the noob manuevers and use my brain to get the advantage instead of a few macros.

I dont care how you die, just that you die. Whether its leading you into my own teammates and having them pummel you or pushing you into a fire, its all the same to me, youre dead. In the end all those little battles mean nothing, just how the game ended, did you win or lose? Getting top damage and top k/b means zero if you lost, to me it could just be you ran around picking off people with low health and spamming aoes.

Everyone wants to be a hero, few will achieve this status, even fewer will be known as great players. If you want that spot, follow the example of some of the best in the world. They dont have to tell everyone they are good, and they are for the most part pretty cool about sharing their skills.

Edited by sunsu

No matter how anyone try's to justify it, the ONLY reason they want macros is to make the game easier. There's just no denying it's easier to push one button then to do a chain of things. They can push that one button and get a perfect chain every time. God forbid these lazy macro raised Wow players actually have to manually change targets and hit a hotkey to use a skill.

The lack of macros will separate good players from the bad ones as only a bad player requires a macro to do their job. I personally saw how macros ruined SWG, I do NOT want to see it happen again.

LOS and EBD cannot pvp without a /assist macro, true story lol!

No Macros. I enjoy thinking about what I have to do and where things are without having everything bound to a few keys which would dumb it down immensely.

While I'm sure it wouldn't be as extreme as Rifts macros were with things(some classes needing 1, maybe 2 buttons to dps effeciently) I would rather people actually show some skill and knowledge of their class rather than grab some macros off the forums and mash buttons without a clue as to what each skill actually does.

The people saying "macro uses are lazy blbalbla" obviously havent pvped or pve'ed on any sort of competative level.

There are VERY VERY few unskilled players seeking out macro's. But regardless. It shouldent matter if its the lazy gamer wanting an easier way to heal or and pro gaming looking to get the edge. Macro's SHOULD be supported and they would be wise to implement. Or risk see this game fall off the radar when it comes to the competative scene. (which by the way is a huge scene in WOW and part of their sustained success).

I am sorry, but along people with speaking for the majority (not you saying this) and the "competitive gamers" and Pro gamers...

Ok, show me in any professional league of gaming where macros are allowed. One rule for this professional league, needs to be having the gamers come into an "arena" and slug it out at an "official" tournament.

I am willing to wager that macros are not allowed in any way shape or form. Ever.

So can we please move on from this competitive PvP thing ? Thanks.

Here I will help you out.

http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/mlg/mlg-equipment/

Halo: Reach

Pro Circuit Equipment

Console: Xbox 360

Switch: Netgear gs108

Monitor: Asus VH236H

Resolution: 1920×1080

Reference Level: Intermediate

VGA

Player Equipment/Illegal Equipment

Players may not use a Turbo controller, a Button Macro controller, a Wireless controller, or a Play and Charge Kit. Turbo controllers allow Players to press a button that results in their Character performing a set of actions that would normally require the Player to press the same button multiple times. Button Macro controllers allow Players to press a button that results in their Character performing a set of actions that would normally require the Player to press multiple buttons.

Players may not use a controller that has been modified in such a way that it alters their Character’s abilities and/or in-game mechanics. Players are allowed to make cosmetic changes to their controller. However, Major League Gaming reserves the right to deny the use of any controller suspected of providing an unfair competitive advantage.

Players and Coaches may not use a Wireless headset or a headset that requires an outlet for power.

Ok, show me in any professional league of gaming where macros are allowed. One rule for this professional league, needs to be having the gamers come into an "arena" and slug it out at an "official" tournament.

I am willing to wager that macros are not allowed in any way shape or form. Ever.

So can we please move on from this competitive PvP thing ? Thanks.

Any wow pvp tourney? if you go to arenajunkies.com you will see the highest rated wow pvpers and many of them have commented on what macros are used. I think a big problem is people dont understand macros and thus have to download the code to use them. We are playing a game, and our goal is to find enjoyment. The ability to macro with focus achieves this. At the end of the day yes, people could macro and dps with ease. But with the number of skills and priority queue over standard rotation, it can be easily argued that their dps will not match that of someone who is aware of all their cds and situationally know what skill to use. If they use a macro to do this, more power to you.

Here I will help you out.

http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/mlg/mlg-equipment/

Halo: Reach

Pro Circuit Equipment

Console: Xbox 360

Switch: Netgear gs108

Monitor: Asus VH236H

Resolution: 1920×1080

Reference Level: Intermediate

VGA

Player Equipment/Illegal Equipment

Players may not use a Turbo controller, a Button Macro controller, a Wireless controller, or a Play and Charge Kit. Turbo controllers allow Players to press a button that results in their Character performing a set of actions that would normally require the Player to press the same button multiple times. Button Macro controllers allow Players to press a button that results in their Character performing a set of actions that would normally require the Player to press multiple buttons.

Players may not use a controller that has been modified in such a way that it alters their Character’s abilities and/or in-game mechanics. Players are allowed to make cosmetic changes to their controller. However, Major League Gaming reserves the right to deny the use of any controller suspected of providing an unfair competitive advantage.

Players and Coaches may not use a Wireless headset or a headset that requires an outlet for power.

this is a 1st person shooter on xbox, has very little to nothing in common with the issues of mmo on pc.

Any wow pvp tourney? if you go to arenajunkies.com you will see the highest rated wow pvpers and many of them have commented on what macros are used. I think a big problem is people dont understand macros and thus have to download the code to use them. We are playing a game, and our goal is to find enjoyment. The ability to macro with focus achieves this. At the end of the day yes, people could macro and dps with ease. But with the number of skills and priority queue over standard rotation, it can be easily argued that their dps will not match that of someone who is aware of all their cds and situationally know what skill to use. If they use a macro to do this, more power to you.

Professional League, thanks.

I fully support this post. Very well said. We NEED macros for pvp to be maximized to its fullest potential. Anyone saying macros make the game ez mode, have never competed in the highest levels of pvp.

You NEED macros to compete against others with macros. You WANT macros to crush casuals.

I fully support this post. Very well said. We NEED macros for pvp to be maximized to its fullest potential. Anyone saying macros make the game ez mode, have never competed in the highest levels of pvp.

Um, I sure HAVE, and on 3 different servers and was in the top 25 game wide til I got bored and quit. What's your excuse for NEEDING one??? Is it because your pinky finger doesn't work right and you cannot coordinate your fingers to press the tab key while your other fingers press 1-12?

Um, I sure HAVE, and on 3 different servers and was in the top 25 game wide til I got bored and quit. What's your excuse for NEEDING one??? Is it because your pinky finger doesn't work right and you cannot coordinate your fingers to press the tab key while your other fingers press 1-12?

first of all if you were in 'top 25 game wide' I would know your name. Secondly, if you were, you would put your highest arena score and state that you were a gladiator x times. I take you for a noob who just qq'd about how tough and unfair arenas are.

not sure what you are doing with the tab key, i use shift, ctrl and alt.

i guess no one needs the macro ability, its just something that makes the game more fun and competitive. Using macros well is a skill in itself. I still haven't heard a good argument for not having macros other than you are bad if you need them.

also to address paid tourneys. wow has them and often. I know for a fact that macros are allowed.

Well it's become quite clear, you the OP, are an incompetent hiding behind cheap rhetoric calling everyone who does not agree with you ignorant, jaded, simplistic, etc. You manage to write paragraph after paragraph, but the liquidated form of your message is "make this game easier", this is the definition of a macro - if not, the term is being used incorrectly here. Automation is what arbitrarily raises skill, not the lack of it.

This is the reason for the macros.

Everyone was beating around the bush, but THIS is the reason.

i know right? Pro-Macro arguments are like dealing with the god damn congress trying to pass a bill that will lower taxes for middle class america but has a pay raise for congressmen hidden inside lol

now don't get me wrong, nothing is finite. I am not lev 50, I am taking my sweet time and enjoying the game my way. If SWtOR has content that absolutely requires macros for endgame (/target /focus etc) then I will be the first one here asking for it.

No Macros. I enjoy thinking about what I have to do and where things are without having everything bound to a few keys which would dumb it down immensely.

Am I the only one that noticed that the classes don't require a lot of abilities to play. I binded them all in a few keys save a few Shift+# for some cool-downs. Either way I don't find it dumbs the game down at all. If anything it makes it less hectic. I really don't see how it would be completely game breaking- UNLESS they fail at it like Rift did. Either way the game is playable without them just simple addition to spice it up.

Oh and to those arguing about tournaments. Competitive PvP can mean a few things to different people:

1)High-end PvP. A good example of this comes from Arena in WoW. Quite a few people thought they were "high-end PvPers" because they reached 2200+ (/golfclap to you sir). Most of those people did use Macros because it was convenient, not needed CONVENIENT

2)Game hosted tournaments. A good portion of these don't actually make Macros against the rules. Why? Because they're apart of them game, why ban something that is usable in everyday game-play

3)Outside Tournaments. This is where those counter arguing seem to be getting their information from. Now, a good portion of these require you don't have any addons OR macros. I've seen quite a few of these and they can't even use speaking programs such as Ventrilo or Skype. This is just a different form of tournament.

Choose which is really "High-End PvP" for yourself, I'm not here to tell you where you find the "Pros" at, I'm telling you that there are many places to find good players how use macros and who don't. It's a simply about what you rather. So you can argue to you're blue in the face about it but this will end up JUST like the addon war going on in the thread.

You either think it will be game-breaking and ruin the community/dumb down the game or it's not game-breaking and would be helpful/needed. Pick your poison.

Again I'm not really seeing what this guy is asking for that isn't in the game (Aside from mouse over macros, which were always silly.)

WE already have /focus.... and /self....

Edited by Sireene
use of retarded - due to age of post, no action

Again I'm not really seeing what this guy is asking for that isn't in the game (Aside from mouse over macros, which were always silly.)

WE already have /focus.... and /self....

I think he really wants the mouse-overs. Which I never personally liked ;)

Edited by Sireene
quote of edited post

Is #1 the highest levels?

http://i.imgur.com/IwVes.jpg

Anything else to say, or do you not have an argument aside from "you suck"