The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Dark vs. Light Event

EricMusco

I saw in a promotional image early on what looked to be a character with a Weapon Tunings effect from the Tython Master lightsaber (The saber shown was the Unrelenting Saber I think)... is that a reward only available through the event? Im guessing if it is theirs still no unlock for those.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings once again. It seems my previous question was overlooked, so I will ask again. Does anyone know if you can romance the companions you get from eternal level rewards?

Kind Regards,

Philip

"Know"? No. But, an educated guess would tell me that you won't be able to. The companion is considered a "cosmetic reward" and the only companions that fall under that category are the cartel pack companions and Nico Okarr. Since they have basically no depth to them outside of a recruitment cutscene for Nico, I'd guess it'll be the same for them.

Correct. Once you hit Level 50 on that class, it locks in the achievement and you're free to delete the character and reuse the slot for another class.

Just make sure that getting that sixth class to 50 isn't your last task for Legendary Level - you want to ensure that you save something on that tier for your main DvL toon to do so they get those last 30 packs and not some throwaway.

Thank you! :sul_wink:

After reading several pages of this thread, I've come to a different conclusion:

1. The only people that remotely benefit from this event are total newbs: people that have just started playing right before or after this event started...and even they get the shaft to a certain extent by being forced to speedrun through the story!

2. Veterans are angry because they've been through the game so many times, they don't want to (nor should have to) create eight new characters. Many vets have used all their character slots and would have to delete some to make room for these new characters, which of course they don't want to do, because they've invested a lot of time in their characters. While Bioware did say they were raising the character limit, the event is not retroactive and still a huge time sink. Raising the character limit should've been thought of before the event started.

3. Newer (but not newb) players are angry, because of the time they've already invested into playing. This would force them to speedrun for the higher tiers, and they haven't played through all the content yet.

4. And newbs should be angry, because for higher tier rewards, they'd have to speedrun the entire game. How is anyone supposed to enjoy the experience of the stories if they have to speedrun through them? Even they're getting screwed!

5. The last straw though is that all items from the reward packs are BoP, not BoL. This gives only the newest of players any incentive to participate and just barely. If you get a bunch of the same pieces, you can't even give them away, let alone sell them. The rest of us see it as pointless.

This event is making me seriously reconsider my sub...and I've not even been here a year!

Pretty much. I'm kinda in "watch mode" on this one, waiting to see how far they will go in accommodating the issues. I don't usually expect much accommodation, TBH, but I would like to see some kind of gesture that is more than bug fixes, explanations of reasoning, platitudes about looking into solutions for problems, and max character slot increase (which is a great thing, but still leaves that nasty implication of... "buy more slots!!").

The irony is that had the event been designed in a more conscientious way from the start, I probably would have been 100% ok with buying another slot or two. Sooner or later, these companies need to learn that many (I say many because obviously I can't speak for most or all) customers who criticize are not asking for perfection. We're just asking for a feeling, really. The feeling that our needs as customers are being taken into consideration. And I don't mean needs like "I want a pony. put it in the game." I mean just needs like... well, this event is a perfect example and you listed some explanation above. The needs of players (non-newbs most of all) were not taken into account.

Though I'm sure they did some analysis, I get the impression that they got swept up in the anniversary concept, threw in "some of our best rewards" like a sort of half-crazed Santa Claus, and then went on their merry way, assuming that the generosity and celebratory nature of their choices would just sort of balance out any issues.

'Course the cynic in me says they saw the character slot issue coming from a mile away and did it that way on purpose to drive sales of character slots. But I generally try to assume human error before cash grab. Human error, at least, is more forgivable, but if done persistently in similar ways, it becomes hard to believe that it isn't cash grab under the surface.

Also, I know some would argue that plenty of people are enjoying the event and honestly, those who are enjoying it in full, more power to them... but every group has people who disagree, not to mention that human beings tend to be pretty adaptable and will often take what they can get, just cause it's what is set in front of them. The fact that you don't technically need to pay extra money to participate in this event and it's part of a product that many are already paying for, it's easy for them to fall into step and just do it. And then, of course, many find enjoyment in what was there all along... the game itself. Which is what the event actually is lol. The game as it was before the event was announced, with an occasional set of reward boxes in the mail.

So it's completely unsurprising that many are having fun, despite the issues... the game itself is a reliable, well-polished product, refined over a period of years.

At almost every turn in this event there are reasons NOT to play.

In fact for quite some time now there have consistently been more reasons not to play than there are to play.

Maybe someone over at Bioware needs to think, long and hard, about that.

Then maybe you won't have threads 200+ pages long telling you how bad your "special event" is and pointing out the oh, so obvious flaws in the event design that "real gamers" would have picked up at the drawing-board stage.

All The Best

At almost every turn in this event there are reasons NOT to play.

In fact for quite some time now there have consistently been more reasons not to play than there are to play.

Maybe someone over at Bioware needs to think, long and hard, about that.

Then maybe you won't have threads 200+ pages long telling you how bad your "special event" is and pointing out the oh, so obvious flaws in the event design that "real gamers" would have picked up at the drawing-board stage.

All The Best

i totally agree with it.

its a shame and the reason i stopped my subscription.

Greetings once again :)

A new question this time. Where the hell do I see the light-side/dark side status for my server, if that is indeed a thing?

With Regards,

Philip

It's game wide, not server wide.

To see, I believe this page is showing it but honestly it has looked like that since the day we started imo

http://www.swtor.com/dark-vs-light

I started two new male characters since all my characters are female before that.

And guess what? I enjoy them, I am actually having fun since there is some difference between the male and the female conversations.

This was not a bad idea after all, cheers :tran_smile:

I will not go for the crazy 8 character requirement but I will enjoy the two I have started during the event.

I started two new male characters since all my characters are female before that.

And guess what? I enjoy them, I am actually having fun since there is some difference between the male and the female conversations.

This was not a bad idea after all, cheers :tran_smile:

I will not go for the crazy 8 character requirement but I will enjoy the two I have started during the event.

Yeah, makes me wish I didn't already have both genders for every class. Not that I have the time to watch the cutscens anyway...

You just need to ding 50 in 8 dif classes hardly a problem seeing how ez is to lvl up, character slots are an issue this is obvious, lvling crewskills is a bit too much, but with the changes to gatherinh it is now much easier lo lvl them aswell.

Achievment points - mute, they arent that many.

My complain will go to crates being bound to caracter, whoever had that idea is really dumb, yea mates? Reaver on merc? For real?

You just need to ding 50 in 8 dif classes hardly a problem seeing how ez is to lvl up, character slots are an issue this is obvious, lvling crewskills is a bit too much, but with the changes to gatherinh it is now much easier lo lvl them aswell.

Achievment points - mute, they arent that many.

My complain will go to crates being bound to caracter, whoever had that idea is really dumb, yea mates? Reaver on merc? For real?

..No problem? What? If you go to school/work/have a family to maintain that's more than a problem to ding eight more characters when you did it already.

Ok, so reviewing this thread, I need to create 8 new characters and get them through everything to complete one of the major Achievements for this event.

I could not find this in the forums.

So, do ALL 8 characters need to be on the same server or would it count across multiple servers?

I.e. 4 characters on 1 server, 2 characters on another server and 2 characters on yet another server.

I did see in the patch notes that they increased the max character limit per server, but did not provide any free character slots. And purchase effectively 7 new character slots is real expensive, even with the 25% discount.

Please let me know if this will count across multiple servers.

So, do ALL 8 characters need to be on the same server or would it count across multiple servers?

The event rewards are tied to the respective achievements. Achievements are bound to Legacy. In order for it to count by making characters across multiple servers, you would have to eventually transfer characters to one server so that their achievements may be combined.

Otherwise, you can just delete the character once you have reached level 50 on it. It's only the achievement that matters. You do NOT have to keep the characters until the end of the event.

Edited by BenKatarn

Ok, so reviewing this thread, I need to create 8 new characters and get them through everything to complete one of the major Achievements for this event.

I could not find this in the forums.

I.e. 4 characters on 1 server, 2 characters on another server and 2 characters on yet another server.

I did see in the patch notes that they increased the max character limit per server, but did not provide any free character slots. And purchase effectively 7 new character slots is real expensive, even with the 25% discount.

Please let me know if this will count across multiple servers.

The achievement is per server. I can confirm that, having started two different LvD characters on different servers.

They both would need their own completed achievements-it is not clear to me the rewards (i'm looking at YOU, BoP gear) will justify my time investment, since i have multiple alts on a bunch of servers that I already enjoy.

The event rewards are tied to the respective achievements. Achievements are bound to Legacy. In order for it to count by making characters across multiple servers, you would have to eventually transfer characters to one server so that their achievements may be combined.

Otherwise, you can just delete the character once you have reached level 50 on it. It's only the achievement that matters. You do NOT have to keep the characters until the end of the event.

Thanks! That is what I kinda figured.

Unfortunately I only have 3 characters that I can delete, too much time and/or Real Life money invested into them to delete characters and start over.

The achievement is per server. I can confirm that, having started two different LvD characters on different servers.

They both would need their own completed achievements-it is not clear to me the rewards (i'm looking at YOU, BoP gear) will justify my time investment, since i have multiple alts on a bunch of servers that I already enjoy.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Thank you both for the quick replies.

It is as I feared. This is more to generate new players or lapsed players than for us old hands.

Not sure if I will invest the time & energy in doing the whole game over on another server.

Sorry if this was asked before, but can we trade the items from Lvs D packs between our own characters? Or unlock them in collections? If so do we need to gather whole set before unlocking?

Sorry if this was asked before, but can we trade the items from Lvs D packs between our own characters? Or unlock them in collections? If so do we need to gather whole set before unlocking?

From the live stream:

Dark Vs Light Pack bind rules - The reason we chose to go with BoP over BoL for these items is Collections. Currently, BoL items do not work towards a Collection unlock. If we had the items be BoL then you could not have combined the event packs with any other items to complete a Collection set. We agree this is not optimal and we are working on ways to solve this moving forward.

Pretty much. I'm kinda in "watch mode" on this one, waiting to see how far they will go in accommodating the issues. I don't usually expect much accommodation, TBH, but I would like to see some kind of gesture that is more than bug fixes, explanations of reasoning, platitudes about looking into solutions for problems, and max character slot increase (which is a great thing, but still leaves that nasty implication of... "buy more slots!!").

The irony is that had the event been designed in a more conscientious way from the start, I probably would have been 100% ok with buying another slot or two. Sooner or later, these companies need to learn that many (I say many because obviously I can't speak for most or all) customers who criticize are not asking for perfection. We're just asking for a feeling, really. The feeling that our needs as customers are being taken into consideration. And I don't mean needs like "I want a pony. put it in the game." I mean just needs like... well, this event is a perfect example and you listed some explanation above. The needs of players (non-newbs most of all) were not taken into account.

Though I'm sure they did some analysis, I get the impression that they got swept up in the anniversary concept, threw in "some of our best rewards" like a sort of half-crazed Santa Claus, and then went on their merry way, assuming that the generosity and celebratory nature of their choices would just sort of balance out any issues.

'Course the cynic in me says they saw the character slot issue coming from a mile away and did it that way on purpose to drive sales of character slots. But I generally try to assume human error before cash grab. Human error, at least, is more forgivable, but if done persistently in similar ways, it becomes hard to believe that it isn't cash grab under the surface.

Also, I know some would argue that plenty of people are enjoying the event and honestly, those who are enjoying it in full, more power to them... but every group has people who disagree, not to mention that human beings tend to be pretty adaptable and will often take what they can get, just cause it's what is set in front of them. The fact that you don't technically need to pay extra money to participate in this event and it's part of a product that many are already paying for, it's easy for them to fall into step and just do it. And then, of course, many find enjoyment in what was there all along... the game itself. Which is what the event actually is lol. The game as it was before the event was announced, with an occasional set of reward boxes in the mail.

So it's completely unsurprising that many are having fun, despite the issues... the game itself is a reliable, well-polished product, refined over a period of years.

Ditto all of the above. I'm usually a huge BW cheerleader and a proponent of not whining about "no new content". I have to say however, that I'm quite disappointed in this event.

1. These rewards are not "the best rewards" as was touted. I sense that there is a Scrooge at work in the rewards and packs department. Case-in-point - nerfing the heroic mission rewards. There's some idea that "if we give the players too much they won't buy from the cartel market / will get greedy / will become spoiled or something. I've always sensed the cheap idiology here. "Our digital goods are assets and we need to establish their value by not giving them away too freely...", etc., etc.

2. The idea that I have to level all of my crafting again to count is absurd.

3. Clearly veterans were not considered in forming this event or even in the recent updates at all. Why not make the new character perks Legacy 50 rewards or 5 year vet rewards? Or make them cheaper based on how long you've played the game?

How hard is it to create one special item for veterans? Maybe an item for each year you've been a sub or preferred? Not even a re-skin as a reward? Seriously?

4. New players still lose out because now they have to speed run through the story and won't get to savor it as was intended.

5. This event feels completely like "content locust revenge". It's like they wanted to prove to the nay-sayers how much content is really in the game so they came up with this event to overwhelm those and make their point.

Hopefully the folks who have the scrooge / assertion mentalities will be overridden by the more conscientious. :rolleyes:

I couldn't find the answer, so I'll ask.

Do the accomplishments/achievement completed status of a LvD Character remain if the character is deleted?

So, in other words, could I use one character slot (though probably 2 - Light & dark) to reach a goal, then delete them and start a new character to reach another milestone / achievement / accomplishment? And so on?

Because only a few actually require Both sides to be completed.

This would be away for us who are nearly at max character limit and can't afford to spend RL money on purchasing more character slots.

I hope so, cuz then I CAN actually enjoy and afford this event.

From the live stream:

Dark Vs Light Pack bind rules - The reason we chose to go with BoP over BoL for these items is Collections. Currently, BoL items do not work towards a Collection unlock. If we had the items be BoL then you could not have combined the event packs with any other items to complete a Collection set. We agree this is not optimal and we are working on ways to solve this moving forward.

The solution is to offer full armor sets in these packs, that way everything we get will unlock in collections but they chose not to do this. The armor sets are offered in full elsewhere.

I couldn't find the answer, so I'll ask.

Do the accomplishments/achievement completed status of a LvD Character remain if the character is deleted?

So, in other words, could I use one character slot (though probably 2 - Light & dark) to reach a goal, then delete them and start a new character to reach another milestone / achievement / accomplishment? And so on?

Because only a few actually require Both sides to be completed.

This would be away for us who are nearly at max character limit and can't afford to spend RL money on purchasing more character slots.

I hope so, cuz then I CAN actually enjoy and afford this event.

The achievements seem to remain and are tied to legacy.

This of course stops people from non stop repeating the first tier just to get the 5 boxes.