The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Dark vs. Light Event

EricMusco

That's me not participating then. I'm sure my guild would be delighted to have their guild leader disappear off to another server for several months! :rolleyes:

There's not a single character out of all the 40 slots you couldn't sacrifice to get the Legendary level?

I've seen quite a few mention they've filled out all 40 slots and I find it hard to believe they are all unique or have as strong attachment.

Even in a worst case scenario:

Sacrifice level 65 Sith Warrior number 4 (there must be duplicate ACs and disciplines over the 40 slots)

Level 1-50 Imperial Agent then delete.

Level 1-50 Bounty Hunter then delete.

Level 1-50 Sith Inquisitor then delete.

Level 1-50 Trooper then delete.

Level 1-50 Smuggler then delete.

Level 1-50 Jedi Consular then delete.

Level 1-65 Jedi Knight then delete.

Remake Sith Warrior number 4 level 1-65 through Shadow of Revan and Knights of the Fallen EMpire content.

One character slot used up, all levelling achievements acquired and left with roster intact.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a question for the devs. So how will this work? Do you only need one character to do The event and get all of the goodies or do you need more then 1? And how will the challenges work? Will you get a notification or what? Thanks guys ;);) Edited by OPRaider

The proposed solution will have people playing the content while at the same time not forcing long time players to redo everything they have already done (in some cases many multiple times).

Long time players won't be receiving anything without doing something. They will still have to achieve "Eternal Level" the same way as everyone else. The proposal simply makes all they have achieved in the past count for something. Think of it as "rewarding" the long time players for being long time players.

Thats what i actually thought would be logical from start and not asking them to rethink. We shouldnt even ask this. It should be obvious to reward old loyal playerbase and for new players something fun to achieve while playing.

Edited by Divona

First the new companions: More information is needed here. Does the companion only unlock on the character that earns the achievement? Can they be unlocked in collections so existing characters can have access to the new companions? Is it possible to unlock the both companions on the same account? The same Legacy? The same character? Is the companion you get based on DS/LS choices that the unlocking character made? DS/LS choices legacy/server wide? Account wide?

• End of event Cosmetic Rewards - Things like the Companion and the vehicles will come at the end of the event and will be delivered to every character on the account, similar to the monthly sub rewards.

-eric

All characters on your account get the companion if you qualify for her.

Best guess right now is that only one of the two companions gets unlocked based on whichever side "wins" the overall Light vs Dark tally across all players' participating characters. Everyone who qualified then gets the winning companion.

This event sounds great. For new players much more than for veterans though (the first group obviously being the target group).

The rewards all sound lovely.

The things you have to do also sound very okay. But I'm not sure if I can go through this all again. I would start on a new server. But then the rewards like titles wouldn't come to my main on which I collect everything. So I would have to play on my main server. With 8 additional-to-buy character slots and all those achievements already gained longtime ago. Hmmm...

Nonetheless, it's a good incentive for players to run those things. If this cannot motivate me enough, nothing can. I mean, I finally get the chance to get Satele's boots. ;)

This is a question for the devs. So how will this work? Do you only need one character to do The event and get all of the goodies or do you need more then 1? And how will the challenges work? Will you get a notification or what? Thanks guys ;);)

http://www.swtor.com/blog/heroic-level-guide

'Once your Character reaches level 25, you will receive the Achievement “Dark vs Light: The Story Begins” to note that you have completed this objective. '

All of the levels have a guide that breaks down all of the challenges behind a spoiler. Every spoiler ends with it unlocking an achievement.

http://www.swtor.com/dark-vs-light/rewards

There's not a single character out of all the 40 slots you couldn't sacrifice to get the Legendary level?

I've seen quite a few mention they've filled out all 40 slots and I find it hard to believe they are all unique or have as strong attachment.

Even in a worst case scenario:

Sacrifice level 65 Sith Warrior number 4 (there must be duplicate ACs and disciplines over the 40 slots)

Level 1-50 Imperial Agent then delete.

Level 1-50 Bounty Hunter then delete.

Level 1-50 Sith Inquisitor then delete.

Level 1-50 Trooper then delete.

Level 1-50 Smuggler then delete.

Level 1-50 Jedi Consular then delete.

Level 1-65 Jedi Knight then delete.

Remake Sith Warrior number 4 level 1-65 through Shadow of Revan and Knights of the Fallen EMpire content.

One character slot used up, all levelling achievements acquired and left with roster intact.

When the word "sacrifice" enters a conversation about gameplay, unless it's followed by the word "story" and "fantasy," you know something is wrong.

Nonetheless, it's a good incentive for players to run those things. If this cannot motivate me enough, nothing can. I mean, I finally get the chance to get Satele's boots. ;)

Dont be mistaken. Rewards from packs are RNG. you are not guaranteed to get anything from those packs.

... just a few examples of what items can be found in the pack:

Quick question: do i have to complete the teirs in the given order? so for instance if i kill all world bosses before having completed the tacticals, would it still count? if i do Legacy of the rakata before Esseles tactical? etc

Still waiting for official confirmation on that, but given that some challenges are set to timed events it seems most likely that you unlock the achievements separate to the level you are on. But you must complete all of the challenges of your current level to move on to the next.

It is feasible that you could effectively leap frog a couple of levels by having already gained the achievements of the next level.

level 50 with all 8 classes - when I read this I really wanted to cancel my subscription.

I am not going to create toons only to delete them and I don't need clones of my already beloved toons.

Slap in the face to all subscribers and veterans. Disgusting.

When the word "sacrifice" enters a conversation about gameplay, unless it's followed by the word "story" and "fantasy," you know something is wrong.

So what are the bragging rights of Legendary if there's no sacrifice!?

Sorry if sacrifice was too harsh a term for you, maybe temporarily delete is more applicable.

This has no interest to me because it is not retroactive. I have done most all of this content several times, and adding some new rewards does not make it new content. If it was retroactive I could see myself and many others in my Guild using it as an excuse to do some things together and complete some old activities when not Raiding.

I am deeply concerned with SWtOR's current direction. I have tried to stay positive and encourage others in my Guild to do the same. Most of us play MMO's for group content, and almost everything SWtOR has added in the last year or two has been solo rpg content. I see any new content as good, but when we get little new group content, and no new Operations or FP's for a whole Expansion it is very disheartening. Bioware has to allocate resources, and the more the is content recycled or that is solo content is less that is new and group oriented.

I have had a bad feeling for a long time that Bioware/EA is making a fair bit of money but not putting much of that back into content. I don't know if that is the case or not, but this Event does nothing to make me stop worrying about that. I hope the game makes a profit, I hope more people play, but I am getting to the end of my time if this continues. As someone here since Beta and who leads a Guild that has been around and active since launch that is a bummer, but again, I play for group content and playing with friends, and SWtOR is becoming harder and harder to enjoy that play style.

I know there is probably no economic reason for Bioware/EA to do it, but it would be great if they could confirm their future direction is like we have seen in the last year with KotFE, with no new Legacy levels, emphasis on solo content and no new Flashpoints and Operations.

It's not "every blasted thing" though. It's a short simple arena, and the only solo required bit.

Also, you can easily do it like I did: At the same time as my friend, talking about it as we go. The time will go fast, and you can go right back to doing the things you enjoy more. Hardly end of the world. We all will have things we dislike in the list, be glad yours is short.

If it was the only solo item in the game maybe but it's not. Lately everything they are adding is solo. I.E. The Story of Revan, the KoTFE story, Ziost, . They have made it very difficult to do this in groups. If you do these stories in groups: you have to do it twice, and then if you can summon someone to do it then you have to relog and restart. Now almost everything has been made to solo and that is why they left in the first place. They were tired of doing everything solo.

They are not the flashpoints and operations type but they were hoping with the EC they could do that with friends and it not be having to be solo.

My suggestions on how to make this event more appealing to existing players:

• Two free character slots
  • Free lvl 60 token - for people who don't want the character slots
  • Decreased cost on legacy unlocks for the event
  • One time cartel coin grant for the event

If - and at this point, it's a very strong if - you want current subscribers with existing legacies to participate in this event in the hopes that they will stay subscribed all summer, you need to throw out a larger bone. What you are currently offering is ... not really enticing.

Current subscribers should not be penalized for participating in this event. I strongly disapprove of the "Diablo 3 seasonal" feeling that this event is promoting. I want all my characters to be part of my Legacy. That's why I spent so much time and effort getting one.

I don't mind the event and the tasks themselves, but there's no way that I'll make it in the time they give us, even if it'll turn out to be December.

I'd have to do nothing but work on this for the whole duration with no time to play any other games and even then, leveling all those chars and getting one geared up to do HM FPs, WBs and OPs?

Meh I'll leave this one to the kids, unemployed and singles.:rak_01:

So what are the bragging rights of Legendary if there's no sacrifice!?

Sorry if sacrifice was too harsh a term for you, maybe temporarily delete is more applicable.

No, I think sacrifice was the accurate word. The problem is the suggestion, not the word. Games are supposed to be fun. That's why we call them games. I take it your Legendary comment is tongue-in-cheek, but it nonetheless reminds me of serious positions people will take. Being Legendary in a game is a fantasy. Nothing more.

Not sure when people started getting the idea that games should feel like a job, but it's pretty amazing how ingrained it can be in some, as if the whole point of a game is to work.

It reminds me of how literally now has figuratively as one of its definitions, in a few dictionaries.

DarthYunman,

They are not retroactive. They can only be earned with an event character, which is any character created on or after June 28th when the event goes live.

-eric

How about you guys do a name purge before then, if that's the case? Some of us are tired of trying to pretend kldsjhlogh is a name.

This what I posted on my enjin wall as my thoughts on this event.

Well Bioware, could you explain what your reasoning was for making this event only apply to new characters? I have no desire anymore to level up and run through that content on new characters, I just don't and I know I'm not alone. This event does nothing to for me.

I'm also kind of baffled why they would point it at new players or the idea of getting new players. Maybe they have some metric that I don't see but as a long term player it's just another disappointment in what's been a general down hill direction since the launch of KotFE. KotFE itself is a great single player experience, but the multiplayer experience since then has been steadily degrading. As a player who prefers sandboxes - this degradation of my multiplayer experience combined with a distinct lack of time due to RL commitments has diminished my draw to play swtor to the lowest is has ever been and I'm considering cancelling, something I never done with this game and I have played swtor since the Magrid squadron beta in Dec 2010.

level 50 with all 8 classes - when I read this I really wanted to cancel my subscription.

I am not going to create toons only to delete them and I don't need clones of my already beloved toons.

Slap in the face to all subscribers and veterans. Disgusting.

Exactly...then I read ALL THE OTHER REQUIREMENTS for the legendary part of it. I might have been reluctantly persuaded to lvl 8 more, but there is NO WAY in HELL I'm doing that grocery list. I can't even. So I guess this is them saying **** YOU to a player that's been here since before launch.

thanks for nothing Bioware. At the very least...you could have let us choose...say 10 of the things on the grocery list...but every single one? That's not even possible. I really HATE you people right now.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::

Edited by Lunafox

Exactly...then I read ALL THE OTHER REQUIREMENTS for the legendary part of it. I might have been reluctantly persuaded to lvl 8 more, but there is NO WAY in HELL I'm doing that grocery list. I can't even. So I guess this is them saying **** YOU to a player that's been here since before launch.

thanks for nothing Bioware. At the very least...you could have let us choose...say 10 of the things on the grocery list...but every single one? That's not even possible. I really HATE you people right now.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

And here I thought I was overreacting but when I read a post like this from you, who is always been respectful and kind it makes me think maybe I wasn't.