Dark vs. Light Event

EricMusco

so let me get this straight.... we need to lvl 8 new chars, do EVERY HM FP on those new toons, and get EVERY CRAFTING SKILLL TO 550?!??!?

tf

(also play pvp to valor 5 and do tasks in every weekly even gree/rahkghoul/etc) Only for the final tier of challenges.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I'll probably do just that. It might come in hand for a scene I was trying to get done...so I'll try to think it's a blessing in disguise. *snirk* lol

Yeah I was wondering how I could distract myself from the upcoming referendum results (I won't go into greater detail as I know politics is frowned upon) so thank you Bioware for the diversion :)

In my very own opinion if there wasn't a reason for a veteran player that have already done all this stuff Bioware wants us to do again, to quit, now there is... I am strongly considering quitting at this point and returning to WoW or any other MMO for that matter, this event has killed any desire for my continued sub for this game throughout the years since the beta. xD

So in order to "really" participate in this event I'd need to roll new toons on a new server.... go back to where I was 5yrs ago. :confused: yea... not sure if THIS is something I'd care to do. It took me over a year to get my first lvl 50. Even with streamlined leveling, & my love of the og stories, I'm not sure if THIS event will appeal to me. I'm willing to give it a shot, but chances are I won't enjoy this event.

This thread is going to become the mother of all collections of entitlement posts I can see.

People really do want everything handed to them in modern MMOs it seems.

Play the event or don't. It's that simple. If you want the rewards, you play the event. If the rewards have no interest to you.. then you can skip the event completely.... like very other event ever in any MMO.

Well....for me at least (not talking for other people) I just want the all 8 classes and crafting retro active or removed. Everything else is fine, in fact they need to raise the pvp and gsf matches requires, 5 is WAY to low.

Well....for me at least (not talking for other people) I just want the all 8 classes and crafting retro active or removed. Everything else is fine, in fact they need to raise the pvp and gsf matches requires, 5 is WAY to low.

I agree completely, if they removed the leveling stuff or atleast made the leveling and crafting stuff retroactive, I would have no qualms.

Are the achievements that pop for "Dark v. Light: XXX" going to have points attached to them or are they going to be 0 point cheevos for keeping track of objectives? If they have points attached to them, you're going to have vets who can't get them because they're being forced to participate on another server. And having unobtainable achievements kinda defeats the purpose of having achievements, right?

What bothers me is that our 'mains' get left out of the new gear and titles.. Personally, I enjoy collecting titles.. on my main toon ("A Special Snowflake" is still my fav.. but I can't get it on new toons). This event seems like its telling us all to abandon the toons we've invested the past 4 years into and 'just make new ones'. Really? I have a current guildmate who JUST finished pushing through 4 pub toons to 50 to get the legendary status.. I can't wait to hear her when she finds out about this.

I'm glad to know that I paid almost 500 CC's to bring over Harbinger toons to Ebon Hawk so that I /wouldn't/ have to level them again to get the legacy count. 500 CC WELL SPENT! XD If I'd known this was coming, I would have only moved one and saved my money.

If I remember correctly that title is from the CM which means you can account unlock it and put it on EVERY character. Though it might be a legacy title which means only the characters on that server, or one you transferred to will have it. If I remember correctly the titles from this "event" are legacy titles, which means everyone on that server (or one you transfer to) will have that title. And yeah, when my mom found out about this event, she just said, ok yep only getting a couple of things or none at all, the rewards is not worth it. (she heals for me in all the fps I grind, still need 40% more fps achievements)

Edited by Lakemine

The new companion

•The merciless Darth Hexid Companion or the courageous Master Ranos Companion

So you only get them/one if you complete ETERNAL LEVEL. So it was never a guaranteed reward by light or dark choices. I misunderstood that. I was under the impression you got a companion and only the dark or light was in question by the event.

Disappointing.

Do you have to do the levels in order, because if you do you have made it so solo players cannot get the companion because the level before requires group or pvp. Again if this is so disappointing.

BW, no matter what you do, you will not get me to do elements of this game I don't want to do. Hiding companions behind such things as PvP just means there are more and of this game being ignored by a lot of us.

Edited by Nevaeh-Heaven

So... still don't see an answer - do higher levels of the event include low levels? Do i just need 2 chars, 65 level and EC to get Eternal, or do I need everything below Eternal too?

P.S. am not pissed off nearly as stong as everybody else cause I have only 4 chars ;D and was planning on making a BH and Trooper anyway.

So far that I see, no in order to get a higher tier you MUST complete the one before. But hopefully Eric can give us a clear answer.

Good question! The rewards are delivered in three different methods, depending on the reward:

• Titles - These are tied to the Achievement and therefore are unlocked for each character in the Legacy.
  • Dark vs. Light Packs and Pioneer Armor Set - These will be delivered via in-game mail to the character who completes the final objective in that event level.
  • End of event Cosmetic Rewards - Things like the Companion and the vehicles will come at the end of the event and will be delivered to every character on the account, similar to the monthly sub rewards.

-eric

Hi Eric. Let's imagine that I wanted to get the legendary level. Packs I get only one character, which I'll get the legendary level and completes the final objective. Will I be able to make the legendary level of the other characters and get these packs to another character if the achievements I've already got? Thanks.

Hi Eric. Let's imagine that I wanted to get the legendary level. Packs I get only one character, which I'll get the legendary level and completes the final objective. Will I be able to make the legendary level of the other characters and get these packs to another character if the achievements I've already got? Thanks.

This dev blog may help answer your question -> http://www.swtor.com/blog/dark-vs.-light-event-and-rewards-blog

Crates are unlocked and given to the character as soon as an achievement is obtained.

I've posted this before and will post it again...

The simplest solution (in my mind) is the following:

1) Make the "Eternal Level" be achievable only by having "new" characters. This would mean doing the event as advertised up to "Eternal Level" and would be fair as it would basically involve playing 2 characters to max level and doing all story content on those 2 characters (it might even be fun).

2) Once "Eternal Level" has been achieved and the title "The Eternal Victor" has been unlocked, achievements that have been completed before on the Legacy and that contribute to "Legendary Level" are unlocked on that Legacy. This *only happens* after "Eternal Level" has been reached by participating in the event as advertised.

3) Players can then complete the remaining achievements needed (those that were not automatically unlocked when they reached "Eternal Level") to reach "Legendary Level" on any existing (old or "new") character (in essence, remove the "Dark vs. Light event character" requirement for "Legendary Level").

Bioware should be able to gate this as stated above (requiring "Eternal Level" to have achievements be retroactively awarded). They are doing it with the Eternal Championship where they require that Chapter 9 of KOTFE be completed to be able to participate.

The proposed solution will have people playing the content while at the same time not forcing long time players to redo everything they have already done (in some cases many multiple times).

Long time players won't be receiving anything without doing something. They will still have to achieve "Eternal Level" the same way as everyone else. The proposal simply makes all they have achieved in the past count for something. Think of it as "rewarding" the long time players for being long time players.

Yeah, this was the last straw for me.

So you guys couldn't think of a better idea for the vacation between KOTFE season 1 and 2? You introduce this absolute disaster to the players, and I just wonder what kind of reaction, what kind of feedback did you expect?

This is an absolute disgrace! And again you sh*t on your most loyal players.

I am not renewing my subscription unless you reconsider this so called "event".

Shame on you BioWare/EA. :mad:

The event is about putting in effort from 28 June to whenever it closes. They've chosen to measure the effort put in by using existing content, because they'd literally have to clone the entire game to provide "new" stuff to do to that extent. I doubt they've had time to do that. So they recycled.

I don't want to say this with a sarcastic tone of voice - I mean this literally. What else are you going to do in game that isn't repeating yourself? Even if they had instead chosen to put out an event along the lines of the existing Gree, Rakghoul, or BH events; you'd end up repeating those too, and under a much shorter deadline (a week per event, and how much do you have to grind those things to get max rep and enough tokens to buy every item at the vendors, which boil down to a new armor suit, a new set of weapons, and a dye and a couple of pets).

Everything but the very top prize tier is available for the effort necessary to put 2 characters through to 65 and one through KotFE. The Legendary tier is crazy, I'll admit. But there's nothing wrong with a little crazy for the topmost tier.

I'm not unsympathetic to the "Oof. I have to do it again!?!" view. I was way past that point while I was grinding Section X rep, and it's why I still don't have the Bounty Broker's HK customization or max rep with the Gree or THORN. But that's the way the game IS. It's not about what you did before. It's about what have you done while the event is live.

So far that I see, no in order to get a higher tier you MUST complete the one before. But hopefully Eric can give us a clear answer.

I would imagine that you need to unlock the levels in order:

Heroic -> Legacy -> Valiant -> Champion -> Eternal -> Legendary

But you unlock the achievements at any time (some of them are linked to time limited events):

So reaching level 5 valour (a Champion achievement) while level 20 (prior to unlocking Heroic) would count.

Whether you get the achievement notification at the time or when you at Valiant is another matter.

If this is not the case BW are opening a whole can of worms with management of unlocking achievements in the right order so as not to invalidate future levels.

I've posted this before and will post it again...

The simplest solution (in my mind) is the following:

1) Make the "Eternal Level" be achievable only by having "new" characters. This would mean doing the event as advertised up to "Eternal Level" and would be fair as it would basically involve playing 2 characters to max level and doing all story content on those 2 characters (it might even be fun).

2) Once "Eternal Level" has been achieved and the title "The Eternal Victor" has been unlocked, achievements that have been completed before on the Legacy and that contribute to "Legendary Level" are unlocked on that Legacy. This *only happens* after "Eternal Level" has been reached by participating in the event as advertised.

3) Players can then complete the remaining achievements needed (those that were not automatically unlocked when they reached "Eternal Level") to reach "Legendary Level" on any existing (old or "new") character (in essence, remove the "Dark vs. Light event character" requirement for "Legendary Level").

Bioware should be able to gate this as stated above (requiring "Eternal Level" to have achievements be retroactively awarded). They are doing it with the Eternal Championship where they require that Chapter 9 of KOTFE be completed to be able to participate.

The proposed solution will have people playing the content while at the same time not forcing long time players to redo everything they have already done (in some cases many multiple times).

Long time players won't be receiving anything without doing something. They will still have to achieve "Eternal Level" the same way as everyone else. The proposal simply makes all they have achieved in the past count for something. Think of it as "rewarding" the long time players for being long time players.

Statement: Your solution is most satisfactory, and deserve praise, I would hand you a virtual cookie :p

Hey Eric, thanks for answering my last question, but I forgot to ask if it's possible to get both companions? or just one?

If anyone else knows this, it would be very helpful to know. :)

Just the one

Darth Hexid and Master Ranos

These two new Companions are embedded into the core of the Dark vs. Light event. As event characters are making dark and light decisions, they are tilting the scales towards Hexis or Ranos - ultimately determining which Companion players can earn at the conclusion of the event.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/dark-vs.-light-event-and-rewards-blog

While I'm on the end of being very sad and upset at this choice of "event" by them, I can see where your point of view is, and I can agree with it....but for one thing, its time gated. If it was more open ended or more time, then maybe. But to do all of that in limited time, it stinks. Because I play through the storylines when I want to relax, when I'm not raiding, gsfing or pvping with guildys. Meaning I want to do them on my own time and enjoy the journey and feel connected to my character. But this "event" kinda means.....you cant do that and enjoy it. It means rush through as fast as you can and then redo it.....8 times. Kinda sucks the fun out of enjoying it at a pace you like.

it's running for 4-5 months. That's quite a lot of time. Legendary level will be a push to get, but the rest?

This dev blog may help answer your question -> http://www.swtor.com/blog/dark-vs.-light-event-and-rewards-blog

Crates are unlocked and given to the character as soon as an achievement is obtained.

I know it, but I dont ask this. I mean can I get packs again on another character, if I completes the final objective at the other character and got achievements. How do I know that I completed the final objective again?

What else are you going to do in game that isn't repeating yourself? Even if they had instead chosen to put out an event along the lines of the existing Gree, Rakghoul, or BH events; you'd end up repeating those too, and under a much shorter deadline (a week per event, and how much do you have to grind those things to get max rep and enough tokens to buy every item at the vendors, which boil down to a new armor suit, a new set of weapons, and a dye and a couple of pets).

These events are exactly what I'd do instead of the L/D event... but with my main character. I don't get a lot of time to play and rarely get more than one or two days during each event to experience it. Saying that automatically rules me out of most of the rewards for the L/D event because of the time needed to spend. And I'm ok with that. But I think the point here is that the achievements are many and some are extremely difficult. The kind of difficult that once was enough and others you just get lucky to complete. So instead of 'wasting' my time trying to get lucky, I'd rather do the Gree or Rakghoul event and I really wish they'd come up with other similar events. I definitely don't want to get into my thoughts on the BH event and hijack the thread, me playing a BH as a main...

I'm still trying to get my companions influence up, collect the Star Fortress armor rewards (of which I accidentally chose two of the same chest, damn it! So that's another character I have to raise up to get another chest). I'm trying to get reputation up for some places for decos or adaptables. Etc. etc. etc..

The event is about putting in effort from 28 June to whenever it closes. They've chosen to measure the effort put in by using existing content, because they'd literally have to clone the entire game to provide "new" stuff to do to that extent. I doubt they've had time to do that. So they recycled.

I don't want to say this with a sarcastic tone of voice - I mean this literally. What else are you going to do in game that isn't repeating yourself? Even if they had instead chosen to put out an event along the lines of the existing Gree, Rakghoul, or BH events; you'd end up repeating those too, and under a much shorter deadline (a week per event, and how much do you have to grind those things to get max rep and enough tokens to buy every item at the vendors, which boil down to a new armor suit, a new set of weapons, and a dye and a couple of pets).

Everything but the very top prize tier is available for the effort necessary to put 2 characters through to 65 and one through KotFE. The Legendary tier is crazy, I'll admit. But there's nothing wrong with a little crazy for the topmost tier.

I'm not unsympathetic to the "Oof. I have to do it again!?!" view. I was way past that point while I was grinding Section X rep, and it's why I still don't have the Bounty Broker's HK customization or max rep with the Gree or THORN. But that's the way the game IS. It's not about what you did before. It's about what have you done while the event is live.

It's really just a buffer for the upcoming season 2 of knights of the fallen empire which has 10+ more chapters, revan is back, the conclusion (very likely it raps up in season 2). And it gives people using lv 60 tokens left and right to go back and play the actual story. I for one never used my lv 60 tokens, but i just made room for 2 more characters (mirror image to the alts i deleted with the gear in legacy items so nothing much lost there) so i for one can complete the event 100%.

Its actually not that bad when you break it down, if you make just 1 new character you can get most of the stuff done, free packs that stack of cartel market re-releases for free which that alone should get veteran players enjoying it. AND a pretty sick tank i might add. Veteran players (Like me) should like this because if you are into raiding, now more people are going to want to raid expanding the community. If you were wanting more people to do GSF, well guess what more people will do it and might stick with the GSF community. Same with pvp, and HM flashpoint runs.

Overall its increasing the community for players who don't normally do content like ops or pvp, and it will give players a drive to get it all done. I for one really enjoy this idea, your getting free cartel items which if you get all the levels are 75 Cartel Packs on that legacy, which can drop much sought after items for personal use that will unlock in your collections. then you can do it on other servers, making the possibilities to grab more packs of it for free. Though it is just 1 item, its almost the equivalent of a free hypercrate especially where it has mostly high sought after items.

Edited by josephxp