Guide: Character Transfers

UlaVii

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody know if lockouts transfer? Some of my progress raiders are curious what will happen to their raids this week. So if they are 2 bosses in, will they still be 2 bosses in on the destination server?

Does anybody know if lockouts transfer? Some of my progress raiders are curious what will happen to their raids this week. So if they are 2 bosses in, will they still be 2 bosses in on the destination server?

I'll add that to my criteria when I'm checking if you can transfer to a full server. (I'll add in some heroics as well)

Good thread.

I'm guessing the 90cc is for one character and not all of them. That can get very expensive, especially if you have 23 toons.

Bioware need to make server transfers free for subscribers

Yes, the 90cc is for one character. Big deal it's cheap.

Look either pony up and pay for the transfers or stay on your current server or serversr. At 90 cc the price to transfer all of your characters will be 2070cc, which is under 20 dollars . I would hardly called that expensive.

BW will not make transfers free due to a minority who refuse to pay while many others are willing.

There is actually a logical reason why transfers will never be free.

First it is easy to manipulate the economies between servers. When transfers were 90cc I regularly transferred between servers to sell or buy items. It's call economy manipulation and most mmorpg's that have transfer services provide sever transfers at a high price to prevent people from transferring between server to exploit the economy between servers. There is also the problem of people using the transfers as a cheap way to get a rename in swtor when prices were 90cc. This reason alone is why BW increased the price to 1kcc for transfers.

In other mmorpgs where character transfers are expensive, I still regularly manipulated economies between servers, but required multiple high price items in high volume.

Edited by Knockerz

Yes, the 90cc is for one character. Big deal it's cheap.

Look either pony up and pay for the transfers or stay on your current server or serversr. At 90 cc the price to transfer all of your characters will be 2070cc, which is under 20 dollars . I would hardly called that expensive.

BW will not make transfers free due to a minority who refuse to pay while many others are willing.

Wow, are you a Bio employee or do you own stocks? Why should subscribers have to pay? I can understand FTP players paying for a transfer, but I think subscribers should not have to. But even if we do, then it should be for as many characters as we want for that 90cc, wether it's one or 23.

Also who are you to say what is expensive and what isn't. $20 for some people is a lot of money if they have other priorities or just don't want to waste money.

Also I'm not sure where you get your minority comment from. Have you done a poll to find out how many people would transfer if it was free? I think you would be surprised at the result, especially on dead servers.

I don't need to transfer myself, I'm on Harbinger and fine where I am. But I think it is just wrong that people should have to pay. I know lots of people who have left the game because they don't want to pay to transfer off dead servers.

Wow, are you a Bio employee or do you own stocks? Why should subscribers have to pay? I can understand FTP players paying for a transfer, but I think subscribers should not have to. But even if we do, then it should be for as many characters as we want for that 90cc, wether it's one or 23.

Also who are you to say what is expensive and what isn't. $20 for some people is a lot of money if they have other priorities or just don't want to waste money.

Also I'm not sure where you get your minority comment from. Have you done a poll to find out how many people would transfer if it was free? I think you would be surprised at the result, especially on dead servers.

I don't need to transfer myself, I'm on Harbinger and fine where I am. But I think it is just wrong that people should have to pay. I know lots of people who have left the game because they don't want to pay to transfer off dead servers.

As has been pointed out, a free or low cost transfer tends to lead to abuse and exploitation--such as GTN manipulation.

Subscribers get a monthly stipend of at least 500 CC. A single month's stipend would allow a subscriber to transfer at least 5 characters without any additional expenditure.

Unless that subscriber is letting those stipend CC's "burn a hole in their virtual pockets", they should have the ability to transfer at least some of their characters for "FREE".

As for whether or not $20 is a lot of money, that is an individual decision. Since you are only advocating that subscribers get free transfers, I question your "argument" regarding $20 being a lot of money since that person obviously has the disposable income to pay $15/month to subscribe. If an additional $20 would put that person on the verge of bankruptcy, then I would suggest using the $20 to transfer their characters, and play as preferred for a month or two.

It may be that that person has a choice to make. Is it more important they they continue to subscribe or that they can play on a server with a population more to their liking?

You know I really don't care about if people can't afford 20$. It's not my problem. I'm sure BW has all the data. It's a business. BW has multiple people with PhD, Masters, and BS in many fields. I don't think your anecdotal is sufficient to convince BW. Beside, BW has probably fully analysis the situation and has taken the appropriate and profitable decision. It's business as usual in corporate America. That is the way it is in the real world. I learn to deal with it and play ball if you want to get anywhere in life. It's not fair, but life isn't fair.

I added more detail in my previous post about why in general mmorpgs don't allow free or cheap transfers.

Edited by Knockerz

As has been pointed out, a free or low cost transfer tends to lead to abuse and exploitation--such as GTN manipulation.

Subscribers get a monthly stipend of at least 500 CC. A single month's stipend would allow a subscriber to transfer at least 5 characters without any additional expenditure.

Unless that subscriber is letting those stipend CC's "burn a hole in their virtual pockets", they should have the ability to transfer at least some of their characters for "FREE".

As for whether or not $20 is a lot of money, that is an individual decision. Since you are only advocating that subscribers get free transfers, I question your "argument" regarding $20 being a lot of money since that person obviously has the disposable income to pay $15/month to subscribe. If an additional $20 would put that person on the verge of bankruptcy, then I would suggest using the $20 to transfer their characters, and play as preferred for a month or two.

It may be that that person has a choice to make. Is it more important they they continue to subscribe or that they can play on a server with a population more to their liking?

Stop stalking my posts from thread to thread. I will not continue to argue with you which is just derailing this thread.

Transfer should be free. Enough said.

/ignore is my friend. Have fun stalking me while I use it.

You know I really don't care about if people can't afford 20$. It's not my problem. I'm sure BW has all the data. It's a business. BW has multiple people with PhD, Masters, and BS in many fields. I don't think your anecdotal is sufficient to convince BW. Beside, BW has probably fully analysis the situation and has taken the appropriate and profitable decision. It's business as usual in corporate America.

I added more detail in my previous post about why in general mmorpgs don't allow free or cheap transfers.

/ignore. Not worth arguing with you

Stop stalking my posts from thread to thread. I will not continue to argue with you which is just derailing this thread.

Transfer should be free. Enough said.

/ignore is my friend. Have fun stalking me while I use it.

Ignore anyone who disagrees with you?

Isn't that the forum equivalent to sticking your fingers in your ears, going "NAH!! NAH!! NAH!! I can't hear you"?

Ignore anyone who disagrees with you?

Isn't that the forum equivalent to sticking your fingers in your ears, going "NAH!! NAH!! NAH!! I can't hear you"?

God, if I started to do that then I doubt I would be able to see anything on the forums.

Let's try to keep this thread on topic, people. It's not an argument about whether or not cheap/free transfers are a good thing, you already have plenty of threads for that.

This is meant to simply be a guide for people who DO want to transfer, and how to get the best out of it. Respect that someone has taken the time to write this excellent guide, and keep any arguments to the relevant threads. (But feel free to bump this thread in the absence of any stickiness :p).

Thank you.

Got the answer and updated the guide:

What happens to in-progress missions/raids?

• If you killed 250/500 for a class mission then you will still have 250/500 on the new server
  • Raid lockouts are carried over so if you are 4/5 on Terror from Beyond now, you still will be after transferring

HOORAY!!!!!!

the gods are smiley on me

even though we only got a week and a half for me to sort out what i need to transfer stuff to my alt server before the cut-off date and back to.....Im not gonna say it.

I wish there was a way for honest players like myself be able to continue to transfer players at 90CC as there is a record on my account showing where I've been transfering too.

Got the answer and updated the guide:

What happens to in-progress missions/raids?

• If you killed 250/500 for a class mission then you will still have 250/500 on the new server
  • Raid lockouts are carried over so if you are 4/5 on Terror from Beyond now, you still will be after transferring

Cool, that saves me from pissing off a group when I have to leave halfway through to get some lockouts.

I was hoping this was the lockouts carried over though, otherwise that would be a massive exploit for people doing heroics and the "OPs of the Week".

Thanks a lot for all this information and wish everyone the best over this time period - guess lot of guilds will have welcome mats out for new arrivals who looking for new friends. Also best to guilds who are moving over and hope everyone has a smooth time.

This guide will help a lot of people I think and thanks to everyone who has helped with it.

Excellent guide!

Please allow me to invite you all to consider The Shadowlands as your new home. It is currently the second-most-populated server in NA, but only behind the busiest one by a few percentage points at peak hours, and at off-peak hours the difference is too small to be statistically significant.

We have our usual contingent of trolls, spammers, DQ's, and Attention-W****s, but those are everywhere, no?

Overall, TSL is a good server, and we'd like you to join us, if you don't have a guild commitment elsewhere.

So you don't have to wait for the email from Bioware or anything?

Good to know - thanks! :)

Crazy is right...it's near instant.

The ONLY time I've seen it take longer (literally, it's like 30seconds), is if you don't park your toon on Fleet.