Character Transfers – Important Update

EricMusco

When are we getting news on merges or "better than x-server"? Forcing new players to spend $10 on an unlucky server choice is nothing short of obnoxious - especially since half of the US servers are bad choices for those wanting to use grouping tools (like group finder and wz pvp).

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When are we getting news on merges or "better than x-server"? Forcing new players to spend $10 on an unlucky server choice is nothing short of obnoxious - especially since half of the US servers are bad choices for those wanting to use grouping tools (like group finder and wz pvp).

Gotta say I agree with that. Like my post above only a couple servers have decent population left now, some are ghost towns due to the lack of any new group content.

Edited by Lil_Fusion

TUXs has the right of it. For $10 it's easier to abandon a server and level a new character on a new server. (Particularly if you have already transfered one character to it.)

My little guild is now seriously looking at abandoning our assets and transfering this week. If there were guild transfers in place, we'd have moved long ago. Anyone who isn't on Harbinger or Shadowlands has lost their minds at this point.

Please move before they do this - I want you guys to keep playing.

I have a few toons on POT5 still that I'll need to move as well.

Ouch! I'm not a fan of this. I have some characters spread out a little bit, but this is probably going to make me bring all of them home to Harbinger. I don't want them to get stuck somewhere.

I know that 4v4 ranked teams have frequently used this to hop servers for a weekend and seek out competition. This is going to kill that.

I strongly suspect it's being raised because transfers have been (ab)used as a way to get a cheap character rename. The desire to change names is strong now with the new naming options, and of course they want to cash in on that.

1000cc seems a bit much, though. 500 or 600 would have served the purpose as well, because renaming requires two transfers. At a price of 500cc those who really just want to transfer could have done so at a reasonable price, while those seeking a name change would not have gotten a better price through transfers.

I strongly suspect it's being raised because transfers have been (ab)used as a way to get a cheap character rename. The desire to change names is strong now with the new naming options, and of course they want to cash in on that.

1000cc seems a bit much, though. 500 or 600 would have served the purpose as well, because renaming requires two transfers. At a price of 500cc those who really just want to transfer could have done so at a reasonable price, while those seeking a name change would not have gotten a better price through transfers.

^^ I agree with our assessment.

It does twist one thing up...... any chance of players moving around and exploring and resettling some of the lesser servers.... not going to happen now.. so those servers are probably on a delete list somewhere.

And Bioware stupidity strikes again. Increasing the price more than tenfold is a terrible idea and will certainly prevent many people from helping out friends on other servers or doing shopping on other servers. Right now I can help out my friends on other servers if they're shorthanded for operations but this will put a stop to that. It seems you're very determined to kill off the low population servers, so why not just merge them into a megaserver?

Really keep coming with these stupid ideas, you sure know how to upset your players....

EDIT: This price would be unreasonable even if you had xservers or megaservers, but your silence on this topic speaks volumes...

Edited by CommanderKeeva

Guess this will be the final nail in the coffin for most of the low population servers. Sure, I can understand that BioWare is interested in making money, but I think this is nevertheless a bad decision. And only one week in advance letting us kow that, not even waiting until 4th of May is over? But why am I surprised, the marketing has always sucked for SWTOR, even since before launch.

Hey folks,

Heads up on a change that is coming next Tuesday (4/26). Leading up to the Fallen Empire launch, we greatly reduced the cost of Character Transfers from 1,800 CC down to 90 CC. This was done to accommodate players who were interested in transferring characters to join their friends who were returning to or joining the game. This was a limited time offer which will be coming to an end. Starting Tuesday, the new price will be 1,000 CC which is adjusted to below the former rate of 1,800 CC. We feel this gives our players the option to Transfer at a reasonable rate while being in line with other services we offer, like name changes.

I guess too many players were hopping around servers to buy stuff or for other uses. I'm assuming it was messing too much with the metrics, like back when the Veteran gear from the Instant 60 characters was BoL and people were creating and deleting characters just to get that gear.

Ugh, that is a brutal price increase. I've availed myself of the 90CC transfers many times...now I'll be loathe to do it at all.

Please rethink this, guys. You'll probably make more money on the loads of folks willing to pay for 90CC transfers rather than the very few willing to pony up 1000CCs.

Please rethink this, guys. You'll probably make more money on the loads of folks willing to pay for 90CC transfers rather than the very few willing to pony up 1000CCs.

I agree with the sentiment: quantity over quality will net more profits. However I also agree with KyaniteD and AlienEyeTX in their assessments of the situation

It may have to do with things getting messed up when people are just hopping about all willy-nilly. Maybe they want to slow the amount of traffic between servers. I don't know... just a thought.
Edited by psandak

Ugh, that is a brutal price increase. I've availed myself of the 90CC transfers many times...now I'll be loathe to do it at all.

I'll bet that's part of the problem. People don't consider transfers to be permanent anymore. You can 'visit' another server now for 18% of the basic monthly grant for subs. I don't think they intended or desire that people use transfers that way. They probably want people to stay put, at least for awhile after a transfer.

Didnt know that it was possible to kill Team Ranked twice, but congratulations Bioware, you even managed to do that.

Like do you guys even follow your own game? Can't you see how you are absolutely killing the small pvp scene thats still left?

I'll bet that's part of the problem. People don't consider transfers to be permanent anymore. You can 'visit' another server now for 18% of the basic monthly grant for subs. I don't think they intended or desire that people use transfers that way. They probably want people to stay put, at least for awhile after a transfer.

That's what I'm thinking too. The discount has been a means for people to just jump around willy nilly as they please and I'm guessing that's NOT what BW wanted to happen. It was a discount to allow people to come together with friends on one server or another at the release of KotFE and stay there, not hop around constantly. And this increased price is still less than it used to be pre-KotFE.

Back when the 90cc transfers were announced Eric said that we would get a couple of weeks notice (See the end of the second paragraph for those exact words). One week is not "a couple"!!!!!

One week's notice noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Please make it a month so we can have time to prepare to move our guilds. The last of us on the dead servers have been waiting for an official and clear reply to the server merge rumors as it's a big job to move hundreds of people and set everything up again plus people need time to say goodbye to the friends they are leaving behind.

^This.

I understand there are valid reasons why you may want to increase the price again (several have been mentioned here that make perfect sense) but since you have not made it possible to do a wholesale guild transfer it is a huge decision for a guild to move server. Some guilds have been sticking around hoping to resurrect their servers or stick it out until forced merges. A week isn't NEARLY enough time for people to prepare, and at 1000cc to transfer it will be many months before some players manage to get all their toons moved across... which will make people just stop playing altogether.

Please, PLEASE reconsider the date you put the prices back up.

Edited by Azreail
Edited to make it plain where in Eric's quote I was directing people to

This is bad news for team ranked and will negatively impact the average skill level of pvp'ers long term. By segregating players from each other there will be less competition for the #1 spot, and the top ranked teams (on each server )will be left without competition after the other teams get fed up of getting farmed. I can imagine that Wintraders will then dominate the group ranked leaderboards.

Furthermore, by increasing the cost of server transfers, you will actually reduce the amount that people transfer (demand will be reduced), this could lead to a net decrease in the amount of cartel coins (or $$$) you earn from server transfers.

I suspect that with this price raise, you intend to reduce the amount of transfers per day that occur. Care to elaborate on the reason behind this? (bugs? too much of a load on your resources?) Are there other ways to deal with this problem? Such as putting transfers on a 24 hr cooldown per use?

Either that, or you want people to spend their cartel coins on other things,which seems silly to me. Why would you want to create artificial demand for cartel market products?

-Impractical

Edited by LeglessChair

I just told this to my friends and they were speechless. Needless to say, they said they wouldn't be able to transfer characters to play team ranked arenas anymore. I also won't be able to keep transferring my geared PvP chars to the Red Eclipse anymore to play team ranked there. Are you actively trying to destroy what's left of the PvP community? You can't do this without merging all servers into 3 (US East Coast, US West Coast and Europe) megaservers or implementing cross server queues.

Also, congratulations, you just killed our Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening fun. We worked so hard to convince some old PvP players to return and breathe life into the corpse of ranked PVP on the Progenitor. And now you **** this up...

We all knew the brief free transfers were a mistake from this company, but 10.00 a pop? LOLWUT? Have fun getting people to pay that. When you increase the price of something non-essential to more than ten times it has been, you can expect demand for that thing to drop significantly. 1800cc was beyond the pale. 90cc was perfect for all income groups. Even 200-300cc wouldn't have been that unreasonable. 1000cc might as well be 1800cc or a million cc. It's just not worth that.

Guess it's time to bring all my various toons back home to JC from their excursions on the other servers.

Pretty sad BW has to once again choose short-sighted greed over long-term player satisfaction.

And now I call into question the "issues" they were dealing with the past week or so with character transfer that necessitated taking the service off-line. Now it just looks like them preventing as many people as possible from using the 90cc transfers while they get ready to jack up the price to 1000cc.

Public service announcement: if you're on POTF or Jung, time to get moving before you're trapped in those ghost towns. Unless you don't do anything socially, in which case, head there to enjoy free reign over entire planets.

Edited by Nothing_Shines

I just told this to my friends and they were speechless. Needless to say, they said they wouldn't be able to transfer characters to play team ranked arenas anymore. I also won't be able to keep transferring my geared PvP chars to the Red Eclipse anymore to play team ranked there. Are you actively trying to destroy what's left of the PvP community? You can't do this without merging all servers into 3 (US East Coast, US West Coast and Europe) megaservers or implementing cross server queues.

Also, congratulations, you just killed our Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening fun. We worked so hard to convince some old PvP players to return and breathe life into the corpse of ranked PVP on the Progenitor. And now you **** this up...

You were jumping around from server to server to PvP?