Is it time for new species?

Tune

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there is this thing with "never" in MMOs. It's a malleable term that basically means the same thing as "soon": It may or may not happen, but not within the next few months.

Some of the cyborg outfits from the cartel packs, do look very robot, though. Obviously you can't put an actual outfit on top of it.

Droids can't use the Force. Its that simple. If they brought in Droids, it would either lock out 4 classes or BW just saying bollocks to the lore(can't see them going quite that far). So, I'm pretty confident with the never part of my statement, even without the dev comments to back me up.

Droids can't use the Force. Its that simple. If they brought in Droids, it would either lock out 4 classes or BW just saying bollocks to the lore(can't see them going quite that far). So, I'm pretty confident with the never part of my statement, even without the dev comments to back me up.

That's not the reason. The reason why there likely won't be droids is that:

a) The devs want the interaction with NPCs to be plausible and NPCs would not react in the same way to "freaks" (yes that word was used in an explanation by a lead designer before the game was released) in the same way as to any other member of the same class.

b) Only species' with normal human faces and working mimics are considered. Kel 'dor, for example, are not considered for that reason as well.

c) There is a number of technical reasons, such as how equipment would work for them, how the eight existing body types might apply to them.

Those are the reasons given in interviews on that topic. Admitedly, they are old, that is what we learned in the pre-release phase while we waiting. It's not the same dev team since then, however.

That the Force was ever used as explanation by the devs why a species is or isn't viable would be new to me. Lore is in fact rarely the reason, far more important is what story they want to tell and what they want the experience to be like.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

A new class would be most welcome - and a good reason to use those new species! Now that we have that reset button that is KotFE, there's no reason why we can't add in a "start at 60" class. Well, I mean, I don't have a lot of faith that the BW devs are talented enough to do it, but you know what I mean.

As far as new species go, the devs have all but confirmed we're getting Nautolans next, and that it'll probably happen some time next year. Without a new class or something to revitalize the game, that'll probably also be the last playable species we'll get.

Really ?! Awesome, i always wanted to make a Nautolan Jedi like Kit Fisto.

What would be really nice is if the difference in species had some greater impact on the game, some noticeable difference, even though I can't say how to do that in a way that the effort would justify the yield.

Romance options would be a nice way to go, but recently everything has been about lifting restrictions, primarily regarding gender. Introducing new restrictions would create quite an uproar in the community, that is, romance options which are limited to their own species... well, that will never work.

Maybe a tiny side mission here and there to explore once own cultural heritage and particular venues centric to a given species and their cultural practices with a few species-specific vendors. Nothing big... but still if they make it right it will cost a lot of development time. Particularly regarding the artwork.

And there is of course the possibility to add more customization options. Including class+species specific ones, like the face tattoos for human troupers, for example. But I don't think Bioware will ever do that. There are some obvious, low hanging fruits in that regard which would require hardly any development time at all and they still won't do it.

I believe adding new species would be a very nice improvement. If the existing species become a little more interesting.

Oh, spiffy... can you imagine if Lana turned you down because you're a twi'lek or something like that? :eek:

I don't think that would work with the companion romances, but it could be done with those random NPC flirts. I think it would be interesting.

Ok, this has been really bugging me throughout this thread.

Togruta.

Type it with me: TOGRUTA

not Tortuga

not Togruate

not Torguta

not Torgruta

Togruta

Lol I love your post, this always bugs the heck out of me too. Same as people persistently saying Harbringer.

I think the female body type four is okay, I think the male body type four looks more obese and some guys seem to play those characters too. Sure, I would not mind to get another body type, but I think that is now a lot of work, since every piece of choths would have to be checked on that model.

And why do we even talk about body types here, or Togtuta? I thought the thread is supposed to be about new species? I personally would like to see Weequay next, but I am not sure how popular they are (even though OP has them in his list too).

Personally , I rather if they fix the already released specie (or maybe add some dialogue to them in game wich HELP ALOT for when you make that 17 toon ) then insert another specie that is just..cosmetic .

-Add more variances to Hairs (and dialogues) for Cathar

-Add and fix the damn no Hood for Twilek as well as add more head decorations and Tattoos or whaveter the hell they are called .

-Fix the Togruta Lekku for both male and females (who look nothing like the npc already in the game ) .

-Maybe even get around of fixing the old old <<why a miraluka answering a Holo when she cant see<< lol

-Add more faces /body/hair wich to me at least , would be better then a new specie who may just end up sporting the same old wig . When we could really use new faces and Hair .

Just my 2$

For those in this thread asking for 'hurr Jawa, Wookiee, Rodian' etc, be realistic please.

Based on the structure of the game and their current choice of species as playable characters they will NEVER make ANY species that cannot traditionally speak basic a playable species NOR ANY species that diverges from the basic humanoid template. Nor any that would make some classes ridiculous, (so no Jawa Juggernaughts).

Realistically, they could well introduce Nautolan as a playable species with only minor clipping issues due to the head tails. Another possibility that I would very much like is Kaleesh, its ideal; no clipping issues, known to speak basic, has an npc model already which fits the basic humanoid template.

Other than those two I can't think of many that wouldn't simply be a reskin of humans. Anomids and Keldor are both cool but they seem to always need rebreathers which poses an issue for the dialogue in the game unless they can simply have a permanent rebreather voice affect on the dialogue of the character.

Point is you will kill the legitimacy and imerssiveness of the game if you have jawas running about everywhere and they won't do it anyway.

Oh, spiffy... can you imagine if Lana turned you down because you're a twi'lek or something like that? :eek:

In the original base game there were situations were you simply didn't get the option in the first place, but those were in fact mini-romances along the way. If Lana would be averse cross species relationship I could live with it, however.

(Spoilers for the Imperial Agent storyline)

Regarding Watcher 2 and Aristokra Seganu

What puzzles me most is the romances which are not there. Why can't a female twi'lek Jedi Consular have a romance with Zenith? And it doesn't end there. I believe things like that can add to giving the different species an actual identity, by making a few things in the game slightly different. Romances would be one way to do it, but by far not the only one.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

Realistically, they could well introduce Nautolan as a playable species with only minor clipping issues due to the head tails. Another possibility that I would very much like is Kaleesh, its ideal; no clipping issues, known to speak basic, has an npc model already which fits the basic humanoid template.

Arguably, the eyes are different as well. I am not sure how deep the impact on cut scene animations would be, but it might make a difference. You can't really see where chiss are looking and the eyes of Miralukas are always covered, but at least they have normal human eye sockets.

Lol I love your post, this always bugs the heck out of me too. Same as people persistently saying Harbringer.

You're telling me the server wasn't named after a bringer of Har? :confused:

They should not add a new species until every player learns how to properly spell all of the current species. It's like "No dessert until you finish your vegetables."

• 1 month later...
For those in this thread asking for 'hurr Jawa, Wookiee, Rodian' etc, be realistic please.

Based on the structure of the game and their current choice of species as playable characters they will NEVER make ANY species that cannot traditionally speak basic a playable species NOR ANY species that diverges from the basic humanoid template. Nor any that would make some classes ridiculous, (so no Jawa Juggernaughts).

Other than those two I can't think of many that wouldn't simply be a reskin of humans. Anomids and Keldor are both cool but they seem to always need rebreathers which poses an issue for the dialogue in the game unless they can simply have a permanent rebreather voice affect on the dialogue of the character.

Point is you will kill the legitimacy and imerssiveness of the game if you have jawas running about everywhere and they won't do it anyway.

except all 3 of those are by definition Humanoid. Rodians have been shown IN CANON to speak Basic with no accent, the EU has an Example of a Jawa who could do the same..........Admittedly Wookies can't with one exception though he was special.

Make Arkanian a playable species along with Zeltron. Easy to implement as they are both near human.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Arkanian

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Zeltron/Legends

This may be a spoiler, but I think the Scions of Zakuul are Arkanian They match the description. Arrogant, superior attitude. White to glowing white eyes. Often use enhancements ;)

Edited by DakotaDoc

I was so excited for the Togruta but when they came out they didn't even have complexions or scars, the males have weird heads that are not like the male Togruta NPCs OR the canon TCW design, and neither gender can wear anything on the head or face. No rascal's toothpick, no googles, no jaw casing, nothing. It should have been like Twi'leks where you can still equip whatever you want and if it clips it clips and it's your choice to equip something that clips or not. Then you have the fact that neither Togruta nor Cathar have special race dialogue which makes things super awkward in certain places. BioWare has already used all the popular human-like species that have human faces so anything that falls outside that range like a Rodian, Gand, etc...I can only imagine it being even worse if they do it at all.

No. It's time for new content...repeatable group content...not a new skin.

Reskin = $$

New group content = -$$

Dev here are reskin master. If the develop anything new its going to be something they can reskin billion times. Its why we got weapon tuning instead of hood toggle.

Edited by Warrgames

Reskin = $$

New group content = -$$

Dev here are reskin master. If the develop anything new its going to be something they can reskin billion times. Its why we got weapon tuning instead of hood toggle.

True...I know better...:o

There were, I think, 2 years between Cathar and Togruta. Cathar didn't sell very well on the CM, based on responses at the Cantina events. I don't know if Togruta sold any better, but I seem to see a lot more of them (could be because they can't hide the head slot though).

Bioware gets a lot of flak for not listening to their players, but one thing they seem to really pay attention to is cartel market feedback (mostly sales, then to a lesser degree forum and cantina feedback). If people bought Togruta in large numbers, we'll see more in time. If they didn't, well that's 0 for 2 for Cartel species. Can't really expect them to do more.

The issue with new species is that most of the ones that are left don't have existing models for both sexes though. Nautolans have both and thus would be a good choice. We don't have female Devaronians, Mon Cal, Trandoshans or Chagrians. That means more work for something that is apparently right on the cusp of being a profitable investment.

Cathar females, the way they look in game, look terrible. Minimum of customizations etc. That is where they went wrong with Cathar. I think Togruta sold way better.