EQN dead, Wildstar dying...swtor?

Zhedzaban

I can't tell if you're deliberately being obtuse, or if you're actually unfamiliar with Star Citizen development.

You could go and play it right now, if you wanted to. And had you done so, you could then provide an informed opinion as to whether or not it is vaporware.

As it is, you're simply spouting stuff you read online, which is what I suspected from your first comment.

Look, I personally believe it will be vaporware. They have made it a point to take the largest advantage of shady business practices to make millions, and in the end I think they are going to fail. Personally I think it will be like Duke Nukem where it is in development for 12 years and never get finished lol, and why should they, they are making more money keeping it in development.

But if it does come out, I will be the first to admit I am wrong, and I will more then likely even buy the game. But selling ships for an unfinished game for thousands, then trying to tell people it isnt pay to win, is BS, and I dont think they will deliver in the end.

Now there is no proof, this is just my personal opinion from what I have read and what I know about Chris Roberts from researching him, and how he has his company set up to benefit himself, his wife and his family in high positions.

**and yes I have played it, it was buggy as hell and I didnt like the physics, but that may change. But when a game keeps changing its milestones and adding more and more...it is heading to development creep.

Edited by lightSaberAddiCt

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

**and yes I have played it, it was buggy as hell and I didnt like the physics, but that may change. But when a game keeps changing its milestones and adding more and more...it is heading to development creep.

I completely understand.

And for what it's worth, I'm not trying to defend it or claim that it isn't vaporware.

At least you've actually played it, unlike bran.

Edited by Khevar

To be fair, this game did better than expected, still living on as a top 5 MMO with new xpc and patch after 4 1/2 years and the challenge of so many new games and the great decline of MMORPG.

Still it could have been better if the 3.0 cycle wasn't so horrible.

Edited by Slowpokeking

I miss the old days when PvP was about realm and guild pride and putting it over on the other realms (a la DAoC). That was PvP worth doing.. and there were no rewards other then realm and guild pride of accomplishment.

Quite true. But in many of those other games PvP wasn't relegated to instances only. Sure we still have Outlaws' Den, but there is no objective nor reward for PvPing there. Valor trading on Ilum kind of nuked OWPvP for this game.

I do miss the old days of seeing a guild arrive en mass and knowing the tide would turn as a direct result of them being there.

SWTOR decided to only focus on one group, the story players, so the other groups either already quit the game or are staying around, hoping for things to improve.

Personally, I'm thinking building a loyal fanbase is more important than catering to casual players who complain and overwhelm Customer Service for every single problem they face (like the puzzle in Chapter 11), and who will quit as soon as they lose interest in the story.

True, and to an extent WildStar made a similar mistake - catering to the Hardcore 40 man crowd.

Hardcore Raids with 8-25 people are fun. Hardcore raids with more than 25 players? .... WoW got rid of that for a reason. Furthermore, according to every player I know, the hardest 40 man bosses in WoW were tuned much less tightly than the hardest 40 man bosses in WildStar.

So basically.... yeah.

True, and to an extent WildStar made a similar mistake - catering to the Hardcore 40 man crowd.

Hardcore Raids with 8-25 people are fun. Hardcore raids with more than 25 players? .... WoW got rid of that for a reason. Furthermore, according to every player I know, the hardest 40 man bosses in WoW were tuned much less tightly than the hardest 40 man bosses in WildStar.

So basically.... yeah.

Not even 8-25 ppl are fun anymore to modern gamers, this is why MMO are declining.

40 ppl boss doesn't mean it's harder, but it would require more effort being spent on people.

This is a common perception usually from the younger crowd that is true nowadays but used to be patently false.

The term Gamer predates next-gen consoles, social media and to en extent even the internet. It comes from a time when video games (on a Commodore 64 or Nintendo or Sega) were a TINY part of the notion of being a "Gamer".

Probably won't make much sense to most nowadays, but back in the day finding someone who was willing and happy to say dedicate a Friday night to playing Dungeons and Dragons, a Saturday night to playing Star Fleet Battles, and a Sunday to playing maybe Euchre or Axis and Allies before social media and the internet was actually rare. Such people were indeed "Gamers" and it was a special title.

Nowadays everybody that picks up a game - eitehr on PC, console, cell phone or whatnot - and plays for more than four hous proudly claims themselves to be a "Gamer". So yeah, the term is NOW overused and has lost all meaning. But once, long ago.....

Just my two cents, from a Gamer fossil....

gamers used to meet on sat nights with a bunch of snacks and use dice and paper

gamers used to meet on sat nights with a bunch of snacks and use dice and paper

^ this, but was considered by parents "Santa" worshippers who listened to heavy metal and so on and so on.....

I miss the days of rolling a twenty sided dice, and scoring the almighty 20.. And if you rolled a 1 ack your character got Mooshed by falling on his own sword! :cool:

Not even 8-25 ppl are fun anymore to modern gamers, this is why MMO are declining.

40 ppl boss doesn't mean it's harder, but it would require more effort being spent on people.

Picture 72 people racing through zones to mobilize faster then another guild or perhaps up to three or four other guilds all with their own 72 man raids.. Dragons were considered Camped to who ever mobilized the fastest. Oh and with 0 add on's and no voice chat too boot.... Ah yes the days of EQ... Where the weak were fleshed out without a meer drop of DKP! ;)

Edited by CKNORTH

Picture 72 people racing through zones to mobilize faster then another guild or perhaps up to three or four other guilds all with their own 72 man raids.. Dragons were considered Camped to who ever mobilized the fastest. Oh and with 0 add on's and no voice chat too boot.... Ah yes the days of EQ... Where the weak were fleshed out without a meer drop of DKP! ;)

This is why EQ is only a niche game compare to later MMOs.

Didn't they release a statement earlier saying that the subs are highest since like 3 months after launch...obviously they are doing something right

ROFLMAO wait wut?

Brosky, shortly after launch we had 188 US servers alone plus all the EU servers plus the Asian servers and the Aussies.

This game had so many subs there were like 2 hour que times to get into any of the servers.

Whatever the character was smoking that fed you that line of nasty bullcrap, I would suggest to him to stop smoking it.

If you were here at launch like I was, the comment you made would have never been made.

No there is not even remotely close to the subs this game has during and shortly after launch. There might be 5 possibly 10% left. But I highly doubt 10%. I would have to say that this game has about 5% of the subs it had at launch. And BTW there was no free to play option back then. They were all paying subs back then.

It has not yet been released commercially. That is supposed to happen sometime this year.

If one of us is being deliberately obtuse, it's not me.

You were acting all surprised when Anishor talked about playing SC.

Are you not aware that you could play it now and see what state it is in?

Or are you aware of that fact, but are deliberately ignoring it (i.e. "being obtuse").

Edited by Khevar

I think gaming in general is pretty much dare I say a Fad, if I spelled that right. Been playing MMO's since Tag your "it" was a good one to play... Sadly it's not the industry that's stale. It's us Gen-X who are pushing 40ish? Who are the ones burnt out on gaming. Younger generations have Iwatch at birth, we had candy watches... Two completely different perspectives as to what's fun these days.. :(

Gen-Xers are starting to hit their 50s not 40s. Gen X is from the mid 1960's to early 1980s. Gaming is changing because of the Gen-Y(Millennials) want things handed to them because of the trophy mentality they were raised with. Everyone must get something for even signing up.

15 years ago there were a handful of MMO, today there are dozens of them. There's more choice now than before.

I completely understand.

And for what it's worth, I'm not trying to defend it or claim that it isn't vaporware.

At least you've actually played it, unlike bran.

I've not played it either but do view SZ as the pinnacle in troll bait these days to the point it's just not ever worth being goaded into a "it will never launch" debate because that's almost all it ever is ... trolling.

With how much work has gone into it and what is evidenced as being there now I think it's pretty silly to seriously contest it won't come out.

It's funny with all the complaints you often see around quality control in gaming and launching far too early just to become a failure that when a game tries to rectify this it receives more complaints etc.

It's always been my view that forums/comments etc. are always negatively geared ... people are more likely to post something negative they have to say than something positive. If they have something positive to say it's much easier to just remain happy and keep playing than take time out to actually say it, unlike negative posts.

I personally hope it succeeds and is everything it is advertising it will be, it's going to be epic. The only reason I've not tried it in it's current iteration is I would like to experience the finished product in the first instance.

If it does become what it seems like it's going to be ... any sci-fi mmo's like this are going to feel the pinch heavily I believe.

ROFLMAO wait wut?

Brosky, shortly after launch we had 188 US servers alone plus all the EU servers plus the Asian servers and the Aussies.

This game had so many subs there were like 2 hour que times to get into any of the servers.

Whatever the character was smoking that fed you that line of nasty bullcrap, I would suggest to him to stop smoking it.

If you were here at launch like I was, the comment you made would have never been made.

No there is not even remotely close to the subs this game has during and shortly after launch. There might be 5 possibly 10% left. But I highly doubt 10%. I would have to say that this game has about 5% of the subs it had at launch. And BTW there was no free to play option back then. They were all paying subs back then.

I think that was why it was "highest in 3 years" - it allowed them to ignore the success they had around launch since that was over 3 years ago I believe?

You were acting all surprised when Anishor talked about playing SC.

Are you not aware that you could play it now and see what state it is in?

Yeah, I really want to pay to play barely into alpha game. I wouldn't t even play such a game for fee (as was possible up to Feb. 5). On the broader subject of Star Citizen, it sounds like an EVE clone, but if it launched with an F2P option (assuming it's ever actually commercially released), I'd give it a try. I suspect, however, it will not launch with an F2P option, then, like other recent games that launched with no F2P option, it will scramble to add one when the reality fails to live up to the hype.

Every fanboi of "fill in the blank new MMO" thinks the new star on the horizon is something special and different and can buck the recent trends in MMOs. Players now expect some kind of F2P option, and not a time-limited trial, either. That is the reason I will not give DAoC a try. Or if not a F2P option, then a low-priced B2P option. Something that allows playing the game for more than a few days without committing to subscribing to a game that may or may not suck.

Yeah, I really want to pay to play barely into alpha game.

I can understand that, nothing wrong with leaving it alone.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not convinced the game is going to be for me, and I've tried it. At least I didn't sink a bunch of money into it like others have.

Gen-Xers are starting to hit their 50s not 40s. Gen X is from the mid 1960's to early 1980s. Gaming is changing because of the Gen-Y(Millennials) want things handed to them because of the trophy mentality they were raised with. Everyone must get something for even signing up.

15 years ago there were a handful of MMO, today there are dozens of them. There's more choice now than before.

Your math is a bit out.. Of you were born between 1975-1980 you would be between the age of 40-35 hence a part of gen-X all I was saying is that generation was the driving force to the gaming industry, since the past 15 years, older games are getting more popular such as EQ 1 it now has a thriving population, where their most popular server being a new progression server. And yes you are right about gen-Y however the newer games are way more QoL partly because that Gen-X got overwhelmed with the "grind" of old games and younger players were born into a "let's make things easier for us" type of play style...

SWTOR is ending next summer. Learn a lot drinking with devs. ;)

There's a new title coming that will be announced later this summer.

If so I hope all our collections and rewards are grandfathered in to the new game...

If not it would be a kick to the bucket to people who have supported this game, as well sent Dev's kids to Collage from the thousands some of us have spent in the CC store...

SWTOR is ending next summer. Learn a lot drinking with devs. ;)

There's a new title coming that will be announced later this summer.

I will be shocked if it makes it until next summer. At the free fall rate of bleeding subs I was thinking by fall sometime them announcing that all remaining servers will be shut down by such and such a date. For anyone who has never played an EA MMO, EA loves that email. They do it on games that seem healthy and strong. A game as toxic as this, I am shocked it is still up and running.

If so I hope all our collections and rewards are grandfathered in to the new game...

If not it would be a kick to the bucket to people who have supported this game, as well sent Dev's kids to Collage from the thousands some of us have spent in the CC store...

100% never happen. I can tell your new here to the MMORPG theme.