Game has died, Nowhere to go

MadCuzBad

I dont doubt it exists, but how is their experience?

Ive played numerous matches on Harb and I live in Florida. The GCD allows the ping of 100ms not to matter too much, but as an Operative, that sh;t was annoying.

I don't know any of their numbers, but they're damn good players. They PvP and PvE with great success (highest numbers and among the best parses for DPS and Healing)

I don't care where anyone plays...but if I were a new player, I would want to know where I should truly go. If my ping sucks, at least I tried.

Harbinger is the only server I suggest anyone go to. I've moved three times...it sucks.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, if we could transfer a guild and it's assets, my guild on BC would move. The only thing holding us back is that we can't transfer the guild itself.

I have characters on three servers. The fastest queue pops and the best matchmaking is n Harbinger, no doubt about it. Fastest FP pops are also on Harbinger. Shadowlands isn't bad, but all the queues for everything die off a lot earlier than they used to. 18 months ago I could get fast pops at 2 AM Pacific or noon or almost any other time. Now it gets really slow by 10 PM Pacific and is slower in general. We won't even discuss BC, it's been terrible for ages and is just getting worse.

I don't know any of their numbers, but they're damn good players. They PvP and PvE with great success (highest numbers and among the best parses for DPS and Healing)

I don't care where anyone plays...but if I were a new player, I would want to know where I should truly go. If my ping sucks, at least I tried.

Harbinger is the only server I suggest anyone go to. I've moved three times...it sucks.

I play on Harb as my Sorc and PT and also have top numbers; still not as fun as a server with no ping.

Why do you feel Harb is so much better than any of the big East coast servers (JC, SL and TEH)? They get pvp pops all day and night from what ive seen... if pvp pops from 10a-3am, im fine. So what puts Harb so far ahead for you?

Why do you feel Harb is so much better than any of the big East coast servers (JC, SL and TEH)? They get pvp pops all day and night from what ive seen... if pvp pops from 10a-3am, im fine. So what puts Harb so far ahead for you?

Population only.

I mean no disrespect for any other server, but I've seen three other servers die that I've been on...nothing compares to a decent population. We decided with Harb that it was go big or go home...we wanted it to be our LAST move ever. People are 100% necessary for me to have fun in an MMO. I'll do old content. I'll do the same PvP maps. I'll pass on all the gear because I have better gear already...the only thing I need to enjoy this game, is other players.

Population only.

I mean no disrespect for any other server, but I've seen three other servers die that I've been on...nothing compares to a decent population. We decided with Harb that it was go big or go home...we wanted it to be our LAST move ever. People are 100% necessary for me to have fun in an MMO. I'll do old content. I'll do the same PvP maps. I'll pass on all the gear because I have better gear already...the only thing I need to enjoy this game, is other players.

Hey, I agree with you! (Emphasis mine). Except you missed one little word at the beginning, three letters, starts with N.

"New."

Without them, nobody gets any fun, because the game dies.

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding the OP and his intentions vs. the rest of the thread but isn't it somewhat counter productive to advertise Harbinger as the go-to server when the fear is other servers dying out due to everyone flocking to Harb? I thought the main point was "introduce means of servers working together aka cross server queues etc because otherwise they'll all die and only Harbinger will remain" yet.. at the same time this all sounds like a sales ad for Harbinger. :confused:

Hey, I agree with you! (Emphasis mine). Except you missed one little word at the beginning, three letters, starts with N.

"New."

Without them, nobody gets any fun, because the game dies.

From what I seen this game has never had trouble attracting new players, but its always been iffy about maintaining those players.

Population only.

I feel you, im the same way. I honestly just want to be able to play the game i pay for. What ive finally realized suffering on pot5 is that Im not even able to fully play the game i pay for. There are times when I wouldn't mind leveling up my marauder (lvl17) doing lowbie pvp ... but lowbie pvp doesnt pop during that (or honestly any) particular time. This weekend me and some guildies sat in group ranked q for an hour - another thing we cant do on this server. Later ppl wanted to do GSF - forget that. Thats a 6pm-9pm activaty only - and you MAY get 3 pops in that time frame. I have been sacrificing all these activities on pot5 and i got tired of it. Ive almost altered my perception of what this game is, or supposed to be. As it stands, this is basically a pvp-between-5-and-9 game. It could be more if i was elsewhere.

So were moving to SL. That said, we want to make sure were making the right move. And while Harb is the obvious choice in terms of population, we dont want to force anyone who may not care for the ping issue to have to go to a west coast server. So were kinda weighing out the two options.

Edited by AndriusAjax

The Easy Step 1 fix for population shrinkage affecting QOL in SWTOR

MERGE -

East Coast

Jedi Covenant with Shadowlands - Two equal Sized Servers making a server rivaling Harbinger

POT5 with Ebon Hawk and Jung Ma - 2 small servers with one larger server having large pvp/gsf communities

West Coast

Bastion with Begeren Colony - Two smaller servers to act as an overflow alternate for Harbinger

BTW: I was around for all the server mergers and the mixing bowl of new player's skills and sub-cultures livened up every aspect of the game tenfold.

Edited by HuaRya
spelling

If they weren't experiencing a drop in population numbers on a lot of the servers, why reformat the server selection screen and remove the population information?

Maybe whoever was tasked with redesigning the screen to remove the PvE/PvE tags and look more like other updated bits of the software screwed up and left that part. Malice or incompetence, take your pick, I guess.

From what I seen this game has never had trouble attracting new players, but its always been iffy about maintaining those players.

Retention is important, but as long as your churn rate is positive, it doesn't matter whether that's a small number of loyals or a large number of casuals; financially speaking. Some of the side effects of not having any long term culture may lead to poor retention, of course.

Maybe whoever was tasked with redesigning the screen to remove the PvE/PvE tags and look more like other updated bits of the software screwed up and left that part. Malice or incompetence, take your pick, I guess.

I don't think it's malice nor incompetence, really. I think they realized that almost every server showed as "low" for most of the day. They want new people coming into the game to not see how empty most servers are.

It makes sense. I don't blame them for removing the population tab. But it shows that most servers are not close to populated.

I don't think it's malice nor incompetence, really. I think they realized that almost every server showed as "low" for most of the day. They want new people coming into the game to not see how empty most servers are.

It makes sense. I don't blame them for removing the population tab. But it shows that most servers are not close to populated.

I would file "deliberately hiding information that was previously available" under malice.

( And yes, we all know it's available if you look at TorStatus or wherever... WE all know that. Someone just coming to the game very likely does not, and cannot reasonably be expected to. )

Edited by Max_Killjoy

If they weren't experiencing a drop in population numbers on a lot of the servers, why reformat the server selection screen and remove the population information?

That, and the removal of specific identity per server (RP/PVE/PVP) would be a good first step to some sort of merge. No one can complain hey, you just merged a PVE server with an RP/PVP server because as far as labels go, there's no such thing.

I could easily see some of the low-pop east coast servers getting merged at this point POT5/Jung Ma or even more consolidation than that (east coast server and a west coast server). It's not a crisis either way, and wouldn't be the first server merge, and it's not something for anyone to go running around the farmyard with their head cut off about, but I do see stripping the labels from the server as the first merge step. No horror or dramatization about it, it's just an observation, and if it happens, it happens, and if it doesn't, it doesn't.

Edited by xordevoreaux

I would file "deliberately hiding information that was previously available" under malice.

( And yes, we all know it's available if you look at TorStatus or wherever... WE all know that. Someone just coming to the game very likely does not, and cannot reasonably be expected to. )

It's meaningless info. Without knowing the criteria by which such things are judged, now what the "effects" of a light vs a Standard load are, the beholder has no basis to make a sound judgement on the load state.

Now, server type, that's got criteria etc.

See my parenthetical comment above.

No, you're totally right. If I was new to the game and trying to research what server I wanted to play on, for example I wanted to RP, I wouldn't bother checking something called "Server Status" or asking around - I'd just pick a server at random, cross my fingers and click my heels together, and hope it was the right one. And if I was wrong, I'd just do the same again till I found a server that supported RP.

Same goes for population, some people prefer light population, some want a heavier population. What would I do if I wanted to know which one people were playing on? Certainly not type "SWTOR Population" into google or askjeeves or whatever the kids are using these days. (I actually just tried it, and you'll never guess what the first page was).

No, you're totally right. If I was new to the game and trying to research what server I wanted to play on, for example I wanted to RP, I wouldn't bother checking something called "Server Status" or asking around - I'd just pick a server at random, cross my fingers and click my heels together, and hope it was the right one. And if I was wrong, I'd just do the same again till I found a server that supported RP.

Same goes for population, some people prefer light population, some want a heavier population. What would I do if I wanted to know which one people were playing on? Certainly not type "SWTOR Population" into google or askjeeves or whatever the kids are using these days. (I actually just tried it, and you'll never guess what the first page was).

Most people just go buy the software, or download the software, and install it.

Most people won't have any idea where to check "server status" -- it's not on the front page, is it? Are they going to think to go to "community" and look for it in all the other clutter?

Edited by Max_Killjoy