The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Companion Clothes

achuzanone

I am aware I may have missed this and if I did please look away from my shame.

Has there been any official word on if we are going to be able to put outfits on the new companions?

If not would a viable theory be that those we can not add outfits to will be gone after KOTFE ?

And if that is the case what is the point in feeding them gifts if they are going to be gone?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am aware I may have missed this and if I did please look away from my shame.

Has there been any official word on if we are going to be able to put outfits on the new companions?

If not would a viable theory be that those we can not add outfits to will be gone after KOTFE ?

And if that is the case what is the point in feeding them gifts if they are going to be gone?

No, I have heard nothing to suggest we will ever be able to dress up the new crew. Given that part of the KOTFE hard sell was that "our choices would matter," I remain flummoxed that EA/BW refuses to let our fashion choices matter.

You must have a new tin foil hat, because that is some top notch conspiracy theory theorizing there. Good job. I doubt that Lana's decision to never change her clothes is directly tied to her eventual departure (true story: I once ... briefly ... dated a crazy woman who refused to let me come to bed with any clothes on because she thought me wearing my boxers was a sign I intended to leave in the middle of the night). EA/BW could just send Lana's bulky, all-concealing trooper armor to our inventory when she BAMFS! away. As an aside, that's what we all plan to do if we ever get to dress the new Companions, right? Put Lana in some bulky, all-concealing trooper armor?

As said above, BW have decided to ignore any and all threads regarding this. Not expecting that to change.

So what can we take from that? Well, that nothing is going to change. You don't really need BW to come here and post on it (though be nice if they did) there silence say's it all.

From a story point of view, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have Lana, Theron, et al, running around in Slave Girl outfits and/or underwear - which you know is what would happen. :eek:

Most likely, there will be some customizations available in the Cartel Market eventually. It seems like too good of a money making idea to pass up. :)

Edited by JediQuaker

From a story point of view, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have Lana, Theron, et al, running around in Slave Girl outfits and/or underwear - which you know is what would happen. :eek:

Most likely, there will be some customizations available in the Cartel Market eventually. It seems like too good of a money making idea to pass up. :)

But it does limit the Role Play by not allowing you to dress your companion in the same or similar out fit. Maybe my trooper wants Lana to were a republic uniform so she can sneak into pub territory?

Im just getting sick of seeing all these companion clones running or standing around. Go to odessen in the cantina or cargo hold room and there are half a dozen Lana's all looking the same, 3-4 Theron's looking clones. Its ridiculous that they wont add the option to change their outfits. Also, not everyone puts slave girl outfits on their female companions, some of us like to put them in bad arse clothing or armor to match our character or affiliation. Just another nail in the coffin to get me to unsub-AGAIN!

What's the problem with scantily clad companions? I have a screen shot of me starting the quest last night with a bunch of other people all having the same Theron - no variety, no control - that's worse than a few characters being dressed scantily (which I can still do with -my- main character anyways that the "story" revolves around). Also I was able to change Kaliyo's costume at the beginning of chapter x. I'm reasonably positive that the only reasons some companions are locked is because their models are unique and/or the cut scenes would have been harder to setup (even changing weapons/crystals doesn't always work in new cut scenes).

To my knowledge, Bioware has not said one peep on the matter. :mad:

I believe their uncustomizable state is likely due to a combination of the devs wanting them to look unique and it being less work for cutscenes. Modesty concerns should not be an issue, as it would be easy to prevent people from giving them skimpy gear.

Im just getting sick of seeing all these companion clones running or standing around. Go to odessen in the cantina or cargo hold room and there are half a dozen Lana's all looking the same, 3-4 Theron's looking clones. Its ridiculous that they wont add the option to change their outfits. Also, not everyone puts slave girl outfits on their female companions, some of us like to put them in bad arse clothing or armor to match our character or affiliation. Just another nail in the coffin to get me to unsub-AGAIN!

^This!

While I hate hate hate to see companions running around blasting away in full slave bikini outfit (okay, can see it on vette) I do prefer to see the options out there and was always nicer to see the companions dressed differently.

You'd notice the companions before, but with the different outfits, it made it less obvious :p

Thus leading to you resubbing, AGAIN.

Bioware has swung back and forth between changing companion appearance and not several times. ME1 to ME2... DA:O to DA2... etc.

Dang. Now I feel compelled to picket Bioware until they let me dress Morrigan like a SWTOR slave girl. :mad:

^This!

While I hate hate hate to see companions running around blasting away in full slave bikini outfit (okay, can see it on vette) I do prefer to see the options out there and was always nicer to see the companions dressed differently.

You'd notice the companions before, but with the different outfits, it made it less obvious :p

I've suggested before that all they have to do is flip the same switch on Lana and Senya and whoever that prevents guys from wearing "female clothing", which would allow them to still wear 95% of the gear out there, and not have beloved characters dragged through the slime by the most disgusting element of the player-base. Everybody wins except for the knuckle-draggers who think women aren't objectified enough in video games.

Naturally, though, every time I make that suggestion disgusting toads never fail to slime their way into the discussion to tell me how against freedom and choice and apple pie I am. And people wonder why we can't have nice things. :rolleyes:

Edited by ZanyaCross

:)

Sorry but not irrelevant in any way as you can have your character wearing slave girl outfits. so from a story point what is the difference. Plus as you start getting old companions back like Kaliyo D'jannis which you can change outfits makes your comment even more irrelevant.

I've suggested before that all they have to do is flip the same switch on Lana and Senya and whoever that prevents guys from wearing "female clothing", which would allow them to still wear 95% of the gear out there, and not have beloved characters dragged through the slime by the most disgusting element of the player-base. Everybody wins except for the knuckle-draggers who think women aren't objectified enough in video games.

Naturally, though, every time I make that suggestion disgusting toads never fail to slime their way into the discussion to tell me how against freedom and choice and apple pie I am. And people wonder why we can't have nice things. :rolleyes:

Disgusting elements of the player-base? Disgusting for putting sexually appealing clothing on an NPC? As for objectification, in a medium where the majority of NPC's are simply pockets of data, bound to the whim of the player, both sides get their fair share of objectification.

And good job on generalising people as slimes for the simple crime of *le-gasp* disagreeing with you!

Sorry but not irrelevant in any way as you can have your character wearing slave girl outfits. so from a story point what is the difference. Plus as you start getting old companions back like Kaliyo D'jannis which you can change outfits makes your comment even more irrelevant.

Sorry, but it is relevant. You can dress your own character however you choose because that's your avatar in the game. Doing that to your comps removes even the illusion of agency from them, and is pretty much the very definition of objectification. They cease being characters at all with likes, dislikes, and history and just end up being dolls for people to live out their gross fantasies with (and if you want to do that, more power to you, but have the good taste keep it in your strongholds and ship at least).

Disgusting elements of the player-base? Disgusting for putting sexually appealing clothing on an NPC? As for objectification, in a medium where the majority of NPC's are simply pockets of data, bound to the whim of the player, both sides get their fair share of objectification.

And good job on generalising people as slimes for the simple crime of *le-gasp* disagreeing with you!

There's a reason I speak in very general terms when I talk about this, but lo and behold, someone always chimes in to show everyone how much they resemble my remark. :rolleyes:

Edited by ZanyaCross

There's a reason I speak in very general terms when I talk about this, but lo and behold, someone always chimes in to show everyone how much they resemble my remark. :rolleyes:

The reason you speak in general terms is because you have the desperate need to demonise anyone who disagrees with you, because if you can't come out riding on that fake high horse, your day is not done.

The reason you speak in general terms is because you have the desperate need to demonise anyone who disagrees with you, because if you can't come out riding on that fake high horse, your day is not done.

So if you're done whining and trying to drum up fake-outrage in a desperate effort to avoid the issue, would you support comp customization if it meant disabling "female clothing" for them and making it available only for the player character?

So if you're done whining and trying to drum up fake-outrage in a desperate effort to avoid the issue, would you support comp customization if it meant disabling "female clothing" for them and making it available only for the player character?

I think making armour JUST for the PC would be stupid, all clothing should be available to all characters, no matter how stupid, funny or sexy it is. Even the droids should get them. I always wanted to give Scorpio a helmet. And my 'whining' can;t really avoid the issue it is directly confronting the issue of the post it's replying to.

Edited by Codedrago

I think making armour JUST for the PC would be stupid, all clothing should be available to all characters, no matter how stupid, funny or sexy it is. Even the droids should get them. I always wanted to give Scorpio a helmet. And my 'whining' can;t really avoid the issue it is directly confronting the issue of the post it's replying to.

You can couch your argument in whatever terms you want, but your end goal is pretty plainly to objectify the characters and make the game just a little bit more uncomfortable for people who don't want to see their favorite character reduced to a sex doll in-game.

If you want sexy-Lana then by all means go commission an artist for some rule-34 (and if you find a good one who can draw her and Theron, lemme know) and leave the game-proper for the rest of us.

You can couch your argument in whatever terms you want, but your end goal is pretty plainly to objectify the characters and make the game just a little bit more uncomfortable for people who don't want to see their favorite character reduced to a sex doll in-game.

If you want sexy-Lana then by all means go commission an artist for some rule-34 (and if you find a good one who can draw her and Theron, lemme know) and leave the game-proper for the rest of us.

Whoa!!! What the hell?!

Do you ever think maybe you're taking the game just a bit to seriously?

How many mental hoops did you have to jump through for this?

Whoa!!! What the hell?!

Do you ever think maybe you're taking the game just a bit to seriously?

Yes, please, because no guy ever told me to "lighten up" when I expressed discomfort at the way women are treated in video games. Whatever was I thinking? :rolleyes:

Especially funny given the number of trivial garbage people make whole threads about, like the HK helmet and slicing nodes, but clearly I'm the one who needs to "lighten up" because I don't want to see Lana turned into a sex doll for creeps in a game I enjoy.

How about you lighten up and stop paternalistically telling people what they're allowed to take seriously, 'kay? Especially on these forums.

Yes, please, because no guy ever told me to "lighten up" when I expressed discomfort at the way women are treated in video games. Whatever was I thinking? :rolleyes:

Especially funny given the number of trivial garbage people make whole threads about, like the HK helmet and slicing nodes, but clearly I'm the one who needs to "lighten up" because I don't want to see Lana turned into a sex doll for creeps in a game I enjoy.

How about you lighten up and stop paternalistically telling people what they're allowed to take seriously, 'kay? Especially on these forums.

Why do you care? That's my point. I see guys AND girls dressed up in trash outfits...some people do it because they're teenage boys, some people are trying to upset people like you, some people just have terrible taste. It's not this game, it's EVERY game ever that has had this happen. SWTOR actually does a decent job of not making things too creepy imo.

My suggestion that you just ignore it and focus on what YOU enjoy, has nothing at all to do with treating woman or men a certain way irl...it's just that dwelling on things you can't control, like how people dress their companions, will drive you insane...and it's trivial.