The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

DEVS? Grade 9 vendor bought crafting materials.

Flying-Brian

To the DEVs:

Why the HUGE price increase Grade 9 vendor bought crafting materials.

The cost for new the grade 9 materials is 2,200 credits each.

The cost for the grade 8 materials was 800 credits.

Each time a new tier was introduced is was a +100 to +200 credit price increase.

Is this a bug? Because this cost increase in not in line with any other tier.

Yes, please tell us why the grade 9 white mats are so expensive. Having them more expensive than grade 8's is fine, but seriously, almost 3x the cost of grade 8?!? :eek:

So was just noticing at the Crew Skill Trade Vendor, the cost of the white mats is all over the place with no real pattern I can see making certain crafting skill more expensive at different skill levels.

I.E.Costing 10 credits:

Conductive Flux is Grade 1&2

Fibrous Nylite Solution is Grade 1

First Aid Kit is Grade 2 (Medical Equip.)

Hypo-syringe is Grade 1 (Medical Equip.) :rolleyes:

Then at 50 credits is:

Hemosponge is Grade 3

Insulating Flux is Grade 3&4

Thermoionic Gel Suspension is Grade 2

At 100 credits is:

Demicot Silk is Grade 3

Hypnogazer is Grade 4 :rolleyes:

At 150 credits is only one item, Brocart Filaments (Grade 4) :confused:

Next price point is 200, then 400, 600, 800 and then there are the grade 9 white mats are 2,200.

Also Cortosis Substrate is Grade 7 costing 400 credits while Corundum Powder isgrade 6 costs 600 credits. :eek:

Now to be fair, I haven't sat down and tried find if there is an typo somewhere or if these mats to indeed correspond to the grades in the description which is what i'm going by here. If we assume these descriptions are correct, then my earlier observation that some crafting skill are more expensive at different levels. IF the descriptions are in error, then they need to be corrected.

Wither way something looks off.

Just buy 100 Grade 8's then trade them up (spending 80k instead of 220k) to get started with. After that, do missions for them. You'll get 8-12 for a little more than the cost of 1. If they crit, you'll get 18-24 for a little more than the cost of 1.

Yes that will work, but fully expect BW to consider that an exploit. so be warned.

As such I used some of my Jewa metals to buy grade 8 to upgrade to 9. Not that I need to do all that much as already had tons of grade 8 in legacy bank. So think just brought some underworld grade 8 about 20 to upgrade, the rest I had.

Wish you could buy the exotic isotope mats from Jawas as well. Still pissed that this mat is behind group content. As this is not going to get us to do group content, all its doing is stopping us from crafting. Sorry but 25 glowing crystals for 1 exotic isotope from the odessen vender is just not worth it, as you need X amount to make anything and you could buy a better item from the venders for less glowing crystals then to make an item. Far less hassle as well.

As for the cost of grade 9 mats, well I guess this is to limit f2p from making items to sell on GTN. Not sure that will work. But cannot think of any other reason.

Yes that will work, but fully expect BW to consider that an exploit. so be warned.

As such I used some of my Jewa metals to buy grade 8 to upgrade to 9. Not that I need to do all that much as already had tons of grade 8 in legacy bank. So think just brought some underworld grade 8 about 20 to upgrade, the rest I had.

Wish you could buy the exotic isotope mats from Jawas as well. Still pissed that this mat is behind group content. As this is not going to get us to do group content, all its doing is stopping us from crafting. Sorry but 25 glowing crystals for 1 exotic isotope from the odessen vender is just not worth it, as you need X amount to make anything and you could buy a better item from the venders for less glowing crystals then to make an item. Far less hassle as well.

As for the cost of grade 9 mats, well I guess this is to limit f2p from making items to sell on GTN. Not sure that will work. But cannot think of any other reason.

Running the missions has always been cheaper than purchasing direct, so I don't see how it would be considered an exploit.

Running the missions has always been cheaper than purchasing direct, so I don't see how it would be considered an exploit.

Not the missions, the buying of Grade 8s and trading for Grade 9s may be considered an exploit. :rolleyes:

Edited by KyaniteD

Not the missions, the buying of Grade 8s and trading for Grade 9s may be considered an exploit. :rolleyes:

THIS!

is what I meant, as it is no different to buying a chair decoration for 100 and selling it back for 1000. which is basically what the last exploit was. thought the amount may have been different. same thing though.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

THIS!

is what I meant, as it is no different to buying a chair decoration for 100 and selling it back for 1000. which is basically what the last exploit was. thought the amount may have been different. same thing though.

Now that' it's out in the open, I will definitely not do it, tempting as it may be. :(

THIS!

How on earth buying level 8s to convert to level 9s an exploit? The definition of exploit includes the idea of an unintended effect, what you are doing is absolutely intended, predictable and within the stated intent of the vendor (while it is available). It is STILL cheaper to run missions than to buy level 8s then swap to level 9s so in no way is it an exploit.

THIS!

Except that unlike the chair exploit, the math doesn't work out in your favor for this one.

Buying grade 8's and trading up to grade 9's instead of buying grade 9's is absolutely intended.

It's a temporary state and will be removed with 4.2.

The whole reason the conversion vendor is there at all is to jumpstart people into the grade 9 crafting tier.

As for selling the 9's back, well, you can do that if you want but you'll still lose about 600cr every time you do.

So making 900cr profit on a chair is an explot but losing 600cr on a crafting material just means you're bad at math.

I pm'ed 2 of the Dev's asking if this is an exploit. In so much as you can buy the grade 8 "white" mats for 800 credits each and then trade them to the Jawa for the corresponding grade 9 "white" mats which, if purchased from the same vendor will cost 2200 credits. This was asked last week and still no answer. However, this is not a high priority issue and they have much more important problems to attend too. I have asked a number of people and most do not conceder it an exploit because you cannot vendor the grade 9's for more than the cost of the grade 8's. My opinion at this time is the price difference of the two was a simple oversight and not an issue. Most people that buy/sell on the GTN have taken advantage of "mistakes" and it is not an exploit. Hopefully this will be looked at the same way. I did buy a few grade 8's and trade them for grade 9's for my on use. At this point I have suspended this action until a more definitive answer can be determined.

I didn't purchase Tier 8 white mats, but I had stockpiled tons of them via crew missions prior to the introduction of Tier 9 crafting, specifically so I could trade them out. Note, I gathered my stacks of mats before knowing how much the Tier 9 mats would cost. Like most of us, I also collected stacks of other mats. It took about an hour to trade out most of my Tier 8 stuff for Tier 9 stuff. As far as I'm concerned, this was all working as intended.

So ... the issue in this thread is whether EA/BW draws a distinction between Tier 8 white mats acquired by expending credits on crew skill missions versus Tier 8 white mats acquired by expending credits at the crew skill vendor NPC. I say no, they don't.

Edited by Thoronmir

That's what the exchange vendor is there for. Therefore it's not an exploit. It's no different than going to RIshi or Yavin to harvest the gratde 8's, then pop to fleet to exchange them instead of going to Zakuul and harvesting there. They've given us until the next update to do the exchanges.

Also, it's been a week. Had it been an exploit, they surely would've said something or disabled the vendor.

THIS!

LOL really?

Buying an item for n credits from a vendor and selling the item back to the vendor for n*10 credits is the same thing as buying a grade 8 crew skill materials from a vendor and exchanging it for a grade 9 crew skill material from a temporary vendor specifically added to the game to allow exchanges of grade 8 materials for grade 9 materials?

Some people are either really clueless or are just grasping at straws to see this as an exploit.

Seriously - if you need a developer to tell you its ok because you can't see the difference between creating credits out of thin air and swapping grade 8 materials (regardless of how they are obtained) for grade 9 materials using a temporary vendor added specifically for this purpose, then I don't know what to say.

Besides, as others have said, you can run grade 9 missions and obtain these mats for much less than buying grade 8 and exchanging them for grade 9 using the vendors.

As for the OP - I agree, the price of grade 9 materials seems excessive (as this will be the price after the exchange vendors are removed), and doesn't fit the previous increases between materials grades.

Edited by DawnAskham

LOL really?

Buying an item for n credits from a vendor and selling the item back to the vendor for n*10 credits is the same thing as buying a grade 8 crew skill materials from a vendor and exchanging it for a grade 9 crew skill material from a temporary vendor specifically added to the game to allow exchanges of grade 8 materials for grade 9 materials?

Some people are either really clueless or are just grasping at straws to see this as an exploit.

Seriously - if you need a developer to tell you its ok because you can't see the difference between creating credits out of thin air and swapping grade 8 materials (regardless of how they are obtained) for grade 9 materials using a temporary vendor added specifically for this purpose, then I don't know what to say.

Besides, as others have said, you can run grade 9 missions and obtain these mats for much less than buying grade 8 and exchanging them for grade 9 using the vendors.

As for the OP - I agree, the price of grade 9 materials seems excessive (as this will be the price after the exchange vendors are removed), and doesn't fit the previous increases between materials grades.

Certain people want to see ANYTHING as an "exploit".

LOL really?

Wrong its not the same. Trading in craft 8 mats you already have for grade 9 mats is one thing as intended.

Buying grade 8 mats for 600 from the vender then trading it for a 2200 grade 9 mat is another. These two are not the same! If you went to Yavin and got the mats you still went out and got them, not just stood there getting something for nothing. Again as said this is not the same thing! Buying a grade 8 mat for 600 and than trading it for a 2200 grade 9 mat still equals 1600 profit from a certain point of view.

Yes I do think that can be considered an exploit. I never said it was just that it could be, and given BW's stance on such things is it worth the risk?

As for getting credits for nothing, well here you go. Grade 8 mats sold on GTN at present time are going for less than grade 9 as not everyone can harvest grade 9 mats other than though crew missions which takes far far longer. Grade 8 mats if sold to a vender get less than grade 9 mats. Profit on this is minimal but minimal profit is still profit. So yea something for nothing and as such credits" made out of thin air" to quote someone above.

Again worth pointing out to some who only read what they want to read, never said it was an exploit just that it could be seen that way. These two are also not the same thing!

Edited by DreadtechSavant

Many points of view on this one there are. As a very wise man once said, "Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view." So, is it an exploit? Is it not an exploit? It depends on your point of view. Because I am so stupid I cannot figure it out, I will wait till I hear from a dev and just be happy doing the missions.

Grade 9 mats are ridiculously expensive IMO. But you can, presently, purchase grade 8 and trade them up. Probably a good idea to stock up substantially before the trade vendor vanishes.

Also the price does make running missions much more profitable. I usually ran missions for grade 8 stats anyway...only rarely did I actually purchase from the vendor.

Just buy 100 Grade 8's then trade them up (spending 80k instead of 220k) to get started with. After that, do missions for them. You'll get 8-12 for a little more than the cost of 1. If they crit, you'll get 18-24 for a little more than the cost of 1.

Haha! Guess I'm a really big cheapskate. I run the mission for the Grade 9's and the one for the Grade 8's to trade in for 9's. Least until they take that vendor away.

Many points of view on this one there are. As a very wise man once said, "Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view." So, is it an exploit? Is it not an exploit? It depends on your point of view. Because I am so stupid I cannot figure it out, I will wait till I hear from a dev and just be happy doing the missions.

Exactly best to wait for a DEV response also that's one my favorite quotes of all time. :)