Gear Rewards from Eternal Championship

EricMusco

I agree that it shoudnt be a operation gear. You can put maybe 220 without bonus but if You put 216 bonus included then You will lose intrest into joining guilds and making operations.

I have zero interest in doing OP in this game. Dealing with people who aren't capable of doing the hokey pokey or the God's gift to gaming isn't fun. If the rewards aren't worth peoples time than they aren't going to do it. People will do it to got achievements and companion and never set foot in there. People that want to do OP will do OP; those that don't aren't going to do them. They will run around without set bonus like that have for the past 4 yrs.

Edited by Warrgames

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that it shoudnt be a operation gear. You can put maybe 220 without bonus but if You put 216 bonus included then You will lose intrest into joining guilds and making operations.

Isn't solo part of the game the focus of SWTOR post KOTFE though? Encouraging people to join guilds and doing operations is probably not the biggest interest of SWTOR devs given the change of direction.

So if toughest challenge (and KOTFE challenges are pretty easy so far) starts giving 224 set bonus gear i will not be surprised.

Raiders (and guilds) now walk path of tears pioneered by PVPers. Focus of developers is now on different game demographics.

As far as gear drops go, I don't think anything above 208 should drop. This is solo content, and people should not be rewarded with operations level gear for doing it. As far as difficulty, if you want veterans to do it then you need to make it challenging. 1-5 can be easy so anyone can do it. 6-7 should be SM Operation difficulty. 8-9 should be HM Operation difficulty (and not EV and KP HM). Encounter 10 should be NiM level. Put something in that actually challenges even the best players, and give it a good title for completing it.

I have a problem with this. You just stated that it shouldn't give OP gear, yet you want the challenges to be as hard as the hardest content in the game with less reward then a Story mode Operations gear? I don't think that would fly with any player, rewards should equal the challenge. Mechanically, however, I doubt the game could ever reach HM or NiM relevant difficulty without having other players to deal with. At best, for solo play, I expect it to reach SM Op difficulty. This is at least higher then most solo challenges in the game.

I will say making challenge 10 hard and giving a nice title would be pretty nice.

How are the encounters going to be balanced against the characters choice of Class/ Advanced Class/ Discipline? I know from solo play through's of the game that some disciplines are more equal than others when it comes to solo play (Sorcerer I'm looking at you).

What about the inclusion of companions, their set role, and their influence rating? At the moment companions set to heal mean the player rarely sees their health bar move.

One thing that always nagged me in the Bounty Hunter story was all the other Bounty Hunters fought alone in the arena, but my BH was there with Mako healing him up

What about those players that have unlocked all the other Classes and have access to their Class buffs and Heroic

Moment not to mention the +500 presence buff, and have also collected all the datacrons across both factions?

What about those players that already have set bonuses and BIS gear from running OPs and have fully kitted it out with augments?

Just how do you set up challenging solo encounters that won't result in some faction of the gaming base coming back and saying it's all too easy and they face rolled the content?

I would suggest radical steps:

1) Don't allow a companion to be present for the solo reward.

2) Put Eternal Champion gear if you want to get the reward so that all are competing at the same gear grade.

3) Disable all additional datacron buff.

4) Tailor at least the final encounter against the AC/role the character has chosen.

If some attempt has been made to make the challenge a test of the players ability rather than just how much gear and buffs they can accumulate then I think it's fair to give out some reasonable rewards.

5 encounters = Green crystal gear

7 encounters = Blue crystal gear

10 encounters = SM OP token

Edited by Vhaegrant

• What level of gear should be rewarded for clearing 5 encounters?
    216 (Story mode gear)
  • What level of gear should be rewarded for clearing 7 encounters?
    220 (Hard mode gear)
  • What level of gear should be rewarded for clearing 10 encounters?
    224 (Nightmare mode gear)

IMO the content should be challenging appropriate to the gear they give. So first 5 encounters should be Story mode level, etc.

Thanks though for this stream. It's good to finally see some "real" interaction again.

oh and give us more information about Ranked PvP Season 7 already!

5 bosses I'd reward basic comms + alliance crates ,which become gear shells & companion gifts. Seems like this is what the casual crowd would want most. I would not give out any endgame progression gear for something that's described as "easy".

7 bosses - a couple of ultimate comms and 216 level gear. This was easy because it has to be better than the 208 craftable gear or there's no point. Plus the vast majority of us can drum up 1000's of basic and elite comms per week by running H2's so 216 is really the bare minimum to be an incentive.

10 bosses - I'd reward 216 or 220 level gear, 50/50 chance on each. Then another 50/50 chance on whether it's set bonus or not. So the end result is a 25% chance at 220 set bonus gear.

Ops gear is incredibly easy to get now anyway with the Highlighted hardmode on EV especially contributing to this. Let people have this as an alternate path to gear.

[*]What level of gear should be rewarded for clearing 5 encounters?

Properly itemized 208 gear with setbonus. Basically warzone gear without the expertise.

[*]What level of gear should be rewarded for clearing 7 encounters?

216 Non-token gear.

[*]What level of gear should be rewarded for clearing 10 encounters?

216 Tokens

With a solo challenge, I think the reward should be something more personal. Don't focus on the level of the mods inside the gear but what the gear looks like. It seems that all the unique and cool armor ideas go on the cartel market, it can't hurt to have one really cool looking one be rewarded through this. On top of that, cool things like a mount or pet, a title even, maybe even a new holo class trainer that looks like Valkorian.(I think it's been quite some time since a new one of those has come out)

Gear level is just blah, solo players don't care for that crap. I mean if I in 216 or less gear can complete the Eternal Championship, clearly I don't need higher level gear, so why reward it? Just give me armor that looks cool, mounts that look ******, and one of those channeling heal up items of twi'lek slaves putting a crown on my head because I'm the champion.

In the past pre 2.0 completing Lost Island HM give you a rakata chest piece token that at the time it dropped from HM/NiM ops (finishing LI was an event in itself as a player) so is the tenth encounter is set at those levels (SM or HM op level) the rewards should be:

1-5 Weekly: 208

1-7 Weekly: 216 (SM OP drop gear)

1-10 Weekly: 216/220 Token (SM/HM OP token, depending in the difficulty of match 10)

Edited by Belgalen
typo

My thoughts would be

Please us the pts so players can actually give you feed back regarding the lvl of the challenge.

make so if we fail or die we have to start over.

consider rotating the challenges once a month.

Clear 5 good entry lvl gear for tactical,hm and sm op

clear 7 very good gear for tactical,hm , sm op and hm op

clear 10 i think once piece of endgame gear(players choice). Also consider other unique rewards to add along with this for players beating stage 10.

There is no question in my mind about this.

It's a solo encounter. It should not be dropping anything higher than storymode gear. What I think it should drop is 208 set bonus gear. In my opinion it shouldn't drop a single lick higher than that. If it drops anything higher you are making the other content you have out there less desirable. The eternal championship should not, since it's a solo encounter, be used to replace the group content you have available. Have the 10th boss drop a 208 main hand seems like a good position to take. 216 mk2s could be argued, but overall they should be reserved for hard mode flashpoints. You can't make this something that makes your group content irrelevant.

Edited by Shwarzchild

How are the encounters going to be balanced against the characters choice of Class/ Advanced Class/ Discipline? I know from solo play through's of the game that some disciplines are more equal than others when it comes to solo play (Sorcerer I'm looking at you).

What about the inclusion of companions, their set role, and their influence rating? At the moment companions set to heal mean the player rarely sees their health bar move.

One thing that always nagged me in the Bounty Hunter story was all the other Bounty Hunters fought alone in the arena, but my BH was there with Mako healing him up

What about those players that have unlocked all the other Classes and have access to their Class buffs and Heroic

Moment not to mention the +500 presence buff, and have also collected all the datacrons across both factions?

What about those players that already have set bonuses and BIS gear from running OPs and have fully kitted it out with augments?

Just how do you set up challenging solo encounters that won't result in some faction of the gaming base coming back and saying it's all too easy and they face rolled the content?

I would suggest radical steps:

1) Don't allow a companion to be present for the solo reward.

2) Put Eternal Champion gear if you want to get the reward so that all are competing at the same gear grade.

3) Disable all additional datacron buff.

4) Tailor at least the final encounter against the AC/role the character has chosen.

If some attempt has been made to make the challenge a test of the players ability rather than just how much gear and buffs they can accumulate then I think it's fair to give out some reasonable rewards.

5 encounters = Green crystal gear

7 encounters = Blue crystal gear

10 encounters = SM OP token

Honestly Disabling Companions isn't a good idea. Some classes (sorc/Op/Merc) have heals while the rest do not. Not being able to have a companion out would be a major Disadvantage for the rest of the classes. Lets be honest this will be just as all the other content is currently. Faceroll so all the gear should be 208-216 Non Optimized.

Considering how easy it is to get 208 gear and even 216 and the fact you can even craft 216 gear (even if it isn't modable, including main weapons)

I would start with the

216 gear and progress from there and go from the difficulties each new boss does.

There will be some individuals that have played the game, even if they haven't done OPs, that will be able to progress to all 10 and they will come back and say it was too easy. Then you will have those that will say it was too hard. I suggest watching how many people actually accomplish this and not just paying attention to the forums, as the forums is just a minority of the people doing it.

A suggestion: Maybe do some sort of email questionnaire and send to people and therefore those that dont' come to the forums can let you know what they would like and this way you have a better understanding what people would like.

Edited by casirabit

It's a solo encounter. It should not be dropping anything higher than storymode gear. What I think it should drop is 208 set bonus gear. In my opinion it shouldn't drop a single lick higher than that. If it drops anything higher you are making the other content you have out there less desirable. The eternal championship should not, since it's a solo encounter, be used to replace the group content you have available. Have the 10th boss drop a 208 main hand seems like a good position to take. 216 mk2s could be argued, but overall they should be reserved for hard mode flashpoints. You can't make this something that makes your group content irrelevant.

So they need to waste their time making Eternal Championship irrelevant because you feel good gear should only be earn in OP?

Edited by Warrgames

• I'd split it into four groups instead of three:
    Group 1: Boss 1, 2, 3, 4
    Group 2: Boss 5, 6, 7
    Group 3: Boss 8, 9
    Group 4: Boss 10
  • Group 1 gives 208, Group 2 gives 216, Group 3 gives 220, Group 4 gives 224
  • I'd make them give out not full items, but enhancements, mods, armorings, hilts, barrels, earpieces, implants, and relics instead of full items. These should be BOP and reverse engineerable.

Please make the fights about mechanics rather than just pure numbers. A faceroller in 224 should die miserably, while someone who knows his abilities should be able to make it through in 208 gear.

Ideally, you'd get different types of encounters depending on your chosen class and skill tree, and some of the concepts that should be taught are:

• Interrupting, with at least one boss that requires only certain abilities to be interrupted while others can be let through (and interrupting the wrong one means you die).
  • Not standing in stupid, with at least one boss that puts at least two types of effects on the ground, and you need to stand in the correct one (and standing in the wrong one means you die).
  • Usage of damage reduction cooldowns (and failing to do so means you die).
  • Usage of gap closers.
  • Usage of CC, for example to interrupt an enemy that is immune to interrupts but not incapacitating effects.
  • Usage of dispel-type abilities.
  • The concept of killing from weakest to strongest, for example by having a boss that spawns quickly replicating weak adds that coalesce into ever stronger adds if not killed soon enough.
  • For healers, a sort of inverted encounter would be nice, where you e.g. have to help a friendly NPC stay alive while he takes care of the enemy. Having to dispel stuff from him or he dies would be neat, too.
  • For tanks, a threat juggling encounter of some type would be neat. E.g. with a second friendly NPC fighting against two enemies, and having to swap by taunting.

And please keep the amount of stun/push/pull/kick-you-around effects reasonable.

Ciao, Aronis!

I have no interest in PvE gear unless it's something I would use cosmetically in outfit designer. As somebody else previously posted, I'd prefer orange shells. A nice mount/title at the end would be good too. This would then be a reward for both PvEers and PvPers.

An incentive for people to do it again on multiple characters:

Make the rewards different for different classes. For example, the title reward could be "Eternal Hunter", "Eternal Jedi" etc depending on which class I complete it on.

The armour shells could also be class specific depending on which class I complete it on.

Possibly even a class specific mount depending on what class I complete it on.

Or....they could possibly do something similar to the ranked token vendor idea. That way we could grind it or not grind it depending on how many tokens we want for the reward that we want to buy from the vendor.

My Sith Warrior hasn't touched a flashpoint or operation and he's in a mix of 208 and 216s, with at least one 220. Just from comms.

208 gear would make this whole thing a complete waste, no raider will do it, and no solo player will do because they already have better gear.

For this event to be a success, it needs to get away from this ilevel ******** that plagues these games and focus on giving us players something good.

That's a tough question. In general, I'd hope that the Eternal Championship teaches players how to play their class; this has been lacking in the story chapters. I'm not just talking about maximizing DPS (since that depends too much on the gear) but also how to use stuns and interrupts. IMO, at least one of the bosses should only be beatable if you use an interrupt.

While I applaud your efforts to make the final bosses a challenge, I doubt it will be challenging for anyone on my raid group but I like to be proven wrong. After all, the fights have to be tuned not just for DPS players but also for healers and tanks so I can't see you putting in a 5k DPS check for the final challenge.

Regarding the gear that should drop, I'm thinking along the lines of purple 208-216 gear. There's nothing wrong with admitting that Tactical Flashpoints and HM flashpoints are the wrong way to gear up. Considering how easy it is to get 216 gear from SM operations, I don't mind players getting like MK-2 216 gear from the Eternal Championship. At least that way, they'll be able to gear up and have a big motivation to learn their classes, because you don't need to know your class for SM operations.

I don't see a point to have the 5th challenge drop less gear than the 10th challenge. Players who can complete the 10th challenge can easily clear HM raids and get 220/224 gear. If anything, this should focus on getting better gear for casual players who have at most seen SM raids. So let all challenges drop the same type of gear - maybe have 7th challenge drop MK-2 216 and the 5th challenge only 208 to offer a incentive to get better.

Progression players will run this for fun, they are already BiS and need no more gear.

Make A specific tank challenge or healing challenge or dps challenge based. That way you can see if they are up for the challenge and if they know there class. On gear there are great formats in the forum already that won't reward the players to greatly. max 216 gear and on the 10 challenge some token gear.

• What level of gear should be rewarded for clearing 5 encounters? 208 PVP gear
  • What level of gear should be rewarded for clearing 7 encounters? 208 PVP gear
  • What level of gear should be rewarded for clearing 10 encounters? 208 PVP gear

Feel free to answer by comparison (this should drop gear similar to a HM Flashpoint) or in Item Rating.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

It's good gear for stale PVE stuff, and can solo SF HM just fine. If you make it permabind-on-drop you'll also help ensure all the new WZ folks show up prepped. Everybody wins yay :rak_07:

Edited by Joesixxpack

Please make the fights about mechanics rather than just pure numbers. A faceroller in 224 should die miserably, while someone who knows his abilities should be able to make it through in 208 gear.

Ideally, you'd get different types of encounters depending on your chosen class and skill tree, and some of the concepts that should be taught are:

• Interrupting, with at least one boss that requires only certain abilities to be interrupted while others can be let through (and interrupting the wrong one means you die).
  • Not standing in stupid, with at least one boss that puts at least two types of effects on the ground, and you need to stand in the correct one (and standing in the wrong one means you die).
  • Usage of damage reduction cooldowns (and failing to do so means you die).
  • Usage of gap closers.
  • Usage of CC, for example to interrupt an enemy that is immune to interrupts but not incapacitating effects.
  • Usage of dispel-type abilities.
  • The concept of killing from weakest to strongest, for example by having a boss that spawns quickly replicating weak adds that coalesce into ever stronger adds if not killed soon enough.
  • For healers, a sort of inverted encounter would be nice, where you e.g. have to help a friendly NPC stay alive while he takes care of the enemy. Having to dispel stuff from him or he dies would be neat, too.
  • For tanks, a threat juggling encounter of some type would be neat. E.g. with a second friendly NPC fighting against two enemies, and having to swap by taunting.

And please keep the amount of stun/push/pull/kick-you-around effects reasonable.

This sounds like a very nice list, I stand 100% behind it.

I do believe that the boss fights are already finished from a mechanics standpoint and the devs just want to get some feedback on the tuning and loot, but if they can still do something about the mechanics, I hope they take your suggestions into account.

And yes, if a player does a mistake, he should be one-shotted (killed by 0 damage). That way, the mechanics cannot be ignored with good gear, a healer companion or bubble but have to be followed.

Edited by Jerba

Although I don't suspect difficulty will be too high, anything 216 or lower will basically be useless for most of us at the end-game. Much like Flashpoints (which are currently not worth doing).

I suggest you add a chance to get a 220 armoring with a set bonus as a reward for completing 10 in a week. That way everyone will feel compelled to do this for a long time.

if this is meant to jump start people into running ops, then 216 should be the highest it drops.

No way will the fights be on par with a difficult HM Op encounter like Master Blaster, Cora, Revan ... so why reward anything but 216?

Reward new tokens similar to the Ziost Memory Holograph for a new vendor that sells 208-224 set bonus gear.

Better gear costs more tokens and the amount of tokens you get increases with each encounter, so very skilled players will get the best gear faster, but there is still incentive for players who can only beat the first 5 bosses after they got "their" gear to eventually get a 220/224 Set.

Scale these encounters as follows:

1-2: KotFE Story/Tactical FP difficulty

3-5: HM FP difficulty

5-7: SM Ops difficulty

7-9: HM Ops difficulty

10: Nim Ops difficulty

KotFE is for solo players and most of them don't engage in group content, so this would be a nice way for them to gear up (not that gear is relevant anymore anyway). And solo play does not mean that it can't be hard as well.

Put these sets in NEW beautiful shells so some people will do it for the looks, too (me for example :p).

Edited by EpicOlympian