Just returned. How is the game doing?

xNYROx

Based on the forums, it is simultaneously doing great and dying a quick death.

Play the game.

If you have fun, stick around.

If not, quit and find something else to play.

I think the main reason I asked is I hate to put a lot of time into something and then them shut it down on me a few months later. You know?

I just returned how is the game doing population wise? Does it have a few years left or is it on it's last leg?

Population wise it has 1 good populated server, the rest are light. And Im not sure about how long it will be around, it going could go on awhile but I think its hitting cruise mode. Id give it a shot, just buy a 1 month sub (don't go for a long sub) at the very least the game is fun for a month and who knows some people like its current style (I personally don't like the dumbed down version)

Population wise it has 1 good populated server, the rest are light.
That's completely untrue.

Harbinger is well populated (but seems to crash a lot because of it).

All the rest of the non-PvP servers have consistently "Standard" population during prime playing hours.

If you want empty servers, go to one of the PvP servers.

The game is in no danger of shutting down.

This. And based on the production value of the most recent expansion, it seems likely that the developers have the motivation and funding to offer us regular content updates. 4.0 is much more promising than 2.0 or 3.0 were.

I've been enjoying it after a three year hiatus. There always seems to be a good amount of people playing whenever I'm on and I'm not even on at peak times. I don't think it's in any danger. Though the way some on the forums act, you'd think it was shutting down tomorrow. Lol. That's every forum, though, and why I always try to make decisions by actually playing. Edited by KLGChaos

The game is not dying, but its new direction remains to be seen how it will affect everything.

IMO i think there will be a sub fluctuation. You will have people sub when a chapter drops or after a few drop, and then go back to preferred.

There really isn't much content left to do unless you like farming heroics, old operations, flashpoints, etc.

No new pvp maps.

All old 1-50 gear is gone, so you have to buy shells from cartel market or if you have a ton of email gear.

Its becoming more and more solo mode. I only stick around for RP but I don't think I'll resub in Feb when mine is up.

I think the main reason I asked is I hate to put a lot of time into something and then them shut it down on me a few months later. You know?

You pays your money you takes your chance ;)

From the dim recesses of my memory I seem to recall the original license being for 10 years (or at least the original devs talking about needing content for 10 years). That was before EA got the exclusive rights to Star Wars games.

So potentially we're 4 years into that 10 year license.

It's a shame that MMO developers don't seem to understand some of the reticence game players have is the thought all that time invested could disappear on a whim. That said I view all gameplay time as ephemeral entertainment, as long as I'm having fun at the time of playing that's all that matters.

I guess that's the risk of buying into an MMO that's built around an IP that's licensed. If in the future they decide to not renew the licence the game disappears.

It's a shame a company with resources to spend 4billion dollars acquiring an IP can't turn around and say 'legacy servers' will ensure players have some way to play SWTOR well into the future.

The game will not be shutted down anytime soon, however looks like you are not die hard fan of this game before, so unfortunatuly you will not be stick around.

The game it self have nothing to bring new for a MMO genre or even some exciting features (WoW is miles ahead for raiding, dungeons and game responsive, GW2 is miles ahead in a PvP balance and experience, maybe because swtor have healers raid bosses with perma shield wall -50% damage taken if tank is present, while GW2 even didn't have a pure healers class, so PvP is fast paced, exciting and actualy relay on your skill, rather of having tank+healer in your group and clicking objectives or carry a ball to be "good at players vs players game").

Swtor have bugs (some annoying ones which did't fixed 4 years), exploits, some unfinished and unpolished things, imbalanced classes, etc. But this is the only StarWars themed MMO on the market, if you are SW fan and only accept this setting - you will be playing only swtor, if you are looking a good and interesting game with some refreshing feels of MMOing, nice PvP or exciting raids - you will leave this place asap :)

Edited by Wikar

The game will not be shutted down anytime soon, however looks like you are not die hard fan of this game before, so unfortunatuly you will not be stick around.

The game it self have nothing to bring new for a MMO genre or even some exciting features (WoW is miles ahead for raiding, dungeons and game responsive, GW2 is miles ahead in a PvP balance and experience, maybe because swtor have healers raid bosses with perma shield wall -50% damage taken if tank is present, while GW2 even didn't have a pure healers class, so PvP is fast paced, exciting and actualy relay on your skill, rather of having tank+healer in your group and clicking objectives or carry a ball to be "good at players vs players game").

Swtor have bugs (some annoying ones which did't fixed 4 years), exploits, some unfinished and unpolished things, imbalanced classes, etc. But this is the only StarWars themed MMO on the market, if you are SW fan and only accept this setting - you will be playing only swtor, if you are looking a good and interesting game with some refreshing feels of MMOing, nice PvP or exciting raids - you will leave this place asap :)

Actually I lost my job before and couldn't afford the sub and I didn't like the limitations of preferred so I stepped away.

This. And based on the production value of the most recent expansion, it seems likely that the developers have the motivation and funding to offer us regular content updates. 4.0 is much more promising than 2.0 or 3.0 were.

I just had to do it. Really, sorry. 4.0 seems to be about "less" content than the 2.0 cycle.

Based on the forums, it is simultaneously doing great and dying a quick death.

This. The expansion itself isn't worth returning for, but if you also missed some of previous stuff - you will be fine. Especially if you are into casual gaming. Looking for something more serious? Well, that part of game is dead for sure.

The games doing just fine as far as I can tell, I just came back after dropping out just before the FTP option was implemented. I Jumped back in about a month ago as a FTP’er and subbed up again shortly after. Since launce BW has dropped in allot of improvements, it’s the first MMO in a long time that has me staying up way too late and waking up with a MMO hangover.

Just my two cents ...

PVP and RP servers all seem to have low population on them. And the faction population has a huge disparity between the two factions. For example, on the server I play PoT5, the Imps outnumber the Repub players at least 3 to 1.

Even during prime time, PVP warzones tend to be Imps vs Imps on PoT5. And what Repubs remain, tend to be more PVE oriented these days.

So my advice to you is if you want to enjoy the game and play with others, go on one of the PVE servers.

As for how the game plays now ...

The latest variation requires a massive grind. You have to turn in a large number of mid grade crystals to get even one piece of 216 gear. You also have 50 levels of influence now on your companions instead of 10., This requires a huge number of companion gifts to get to level 50. So you either need really deep pockets, or being willing to run all the weekly heroics for an obscene number of times.

Companions for the most part are all cookie cutter now. It really doesn't matter which one you use. Other than their appearance and variation in influence levels, they all act the same in the three roles they play.

As for some of the other features in game ...

Hasn't been any significant changes in PVP for a while. And the leadership boards are dominated by just a couple of classes. If this is your king of thing, I would recommend avoiding the Merc / Mando classes like the plague.

Space PVP combat is dead on PoT5. I have no idea how it is on the other servers. But it is definitely a pay to play system. Going in on a starter ship is like going up against a level 64 in PVP with a level 30 toon.

Strongholds and the cartel market seem to be doing well. And you can pick up a number of decorations and gear packs for relatively cheap on the GTN.

I just returned how is the game doing population wise? Does it have a few years left or is it on it's last leg?

Never go to a General Discussion forum to check the state of the game. Only about 3% of a games populatin will ever visit the forums, and of that small number, the vast majority will only post about doom and gloom. I left Star Wars and then returned recently. I tried a good number of MMOs, all of the AAA titles, and found that this one has more thngs right than wrong. By a longshot.

My advice, hop into the game and swing some sabers! I bet you stay :D